Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

vintagebob

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #140 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:15 pm »
Thanks Jazzcat.  37 inches should be close enough.  I should be getting six GIK 242 panels and two more tri-traps today so I'll be busy tonight.

How is your room coming?  You put together some nice panels.

jazzcat1

« Reply #141 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:31 pm »
Thanks. I have 18 mounted. I have not decided what to do with the back wall between the bass trapped corners. I have about 6 feet of wall between them and I think I may mount 2 homemade 242's but Bryan said I don't want to make the room completely dead. And believe me, with all those panels there now, the accoustical properties of the room have been totally transformed! But I may have to do more bass traps there - I won't know till I set up and do listening/measurements. Generally, diffusion back there is not that necessary in a smaller room from what I have been told.

I'll post pics soon. Setting up VTI audio rack now.

vintagebob

« Reply #142 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:33 pm »
OK, here is a quick look at my 242 panels with the pictures on them.  I've also added a second row of tri-traps in every corner (five corners).

http://www.floorplanner.com//projects/18596511/floors/18629668/designs/19925735?guest_pass=ahh4dm

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 02:44 pm by vintagebob »

Nuance

« Reply #143 on: 19 Aug 2009, 04:21 pm »
Whoa - those look fantastic!!  I probably missed it, but did you put the prints onto the fabric yourself, or did GIK do it all?  Wow - I need to do something like that.  Truly cool!   8)

vintagebob

« Reply #144 on: 19 Aug 2009, 04:24 pm »
Whoa - those look fantastic!!  I probably missed it, but did you put the prints onto the fabric yourself, or did GIK do it all?  Wow - I need to do something like that.  Truly cool!   8)

We took the pictures but GIK actually put them on the panels.  They did a great job.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_artpanel.html

Nuance

« Reply #145 on: 19 Aug 2009, 05:57 pm »
Very cool.  Thanks for the info an the pics, vintagebob.

jazzcat1

« Reply #146 on: 19 Aug 2009, 06:44 pm »
I particularly like the sunset pic!  8)  Are the floors carpeted or hard?

vintagebob

« Reply #147 on: 19 Aug 2009, 08:42 pm »
I particularly like the sunset pic!  8)  Are the floors carpeted or hard?

LOL.  We chose that sunset as a personal laugh because we thought the pelican in the picture looked like the one from "Finding Nemo" .  ; )  (We took the picture in Pismo Beach, CA)

My floors have carpet with a fair amount of padding underneath.

floresjc

« Reply #148 on: 20 Aug 2009, 03:34 am »
I see someone else is also about to become a "former Rocket owner". Its amazing how many people I run into with their stuff.

On my front, the double 440 has arrived safe and sound, the preamp and DAC will be arriving today and tomorrow. The double 240/3 probly next week. I ordered quite a few CD's from Amazon by Telarc, classical songs that will hopefully take advantage of the Salk's sound quality. I think over the fall/winter, I'll start reading up on some homemade acoustic paneling. 27 days....

jazzcat1

« Reply #149 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:15 pm »
Do the HT2-TL's have a rear port or are they sealed?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #150 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:25 pm »
Do the HT2-TL's have a rear port or are they sealed?

Rear "port."  Like the Song Towers.

jazzcat1

« Reply #151 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:47 pm »
Thanks. I am trying to determine the minimum distance between rear of speaker and wall. 3 feet may be as far as I can go. There is a 242 absorption panel behind each speaker on the wall.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #152 on: 21 Aug 2009, 02:15 pm »
Thanks. I am trying to determine the minimum distance between rear of speaker and wall. 3 feet may be as far as I can go. There is a 242 absorption panel behind each speaker on the wall.

Three feet is fine.  Two feet would probably work.  MLTL's aren't as sensitive to boundary effects as conventional ported speakers. 

randybessinger

« Reply #153 on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:50 pm »
This is somewhat off topic but I was able to secure an ABX box and the assessory that allows dbt blind speaker testing.  I know that it is a problem setting these things up but I would like to at least give it a try.  My question is does anyone know where to get a large size speaker grill cloth such as what was secured for the Audioholics blind test.  I have written Ton Andry but he has not yet responded.

vintagebob

« Reply #154 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:12 pm »
This is somewhat off topic but I was able to secure an ABX box and the assessory that allows dbt blind speaker testing.  I know that it is a problem setting these things up but I would like to at least give it a try.  My question is does anyone know where to get a large size speaker grill cloth such as what was secured for the Audioholics blind test.  I have written Ton Andry but he has not yet responded.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-946&cid=prodCrossSell

Big Red Machine

« Reply #155 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:20 pm »
You can buy by the yard at Parts Express, which I did for my HT stage absorption panels, so you can get infinity in length at 60" wide.  That would be plenty of height to make a wall of cloth to hide the gear.

randybessinger

« Reply #156 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:05 pm »
Thanks guys.

Nuance

« Reply #157 on: 21 Aug 2009, 06:36 pm »
Very cool, Randy.  I wish I could get my hands on one of those.  I look forward to your tests.

floresjc

« Reply #158 on: 23 Aug 2009, 03:37 am »
K Shep - Thanks for the message. For some reason, my internet over here won't let me reply to it, but if you'd send another on the subject of DIY acoustic paneling, I'd be grateful.

Everyone -

All of my AVA gear arrived except the double 240/3, and the Telarc CD's are enroute. The HT3's from FedEx are a total loss, and its a long messy story, but I'm going to go with HT2-TL's instead (still very thrilled.) I chose to do a pair just like the dark curly walnut Jim has posted on the forum, adding a claro walnut baffle instead of the satin black. Its going to look great!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #159 on: 23 Aug 2009, 04:46 am »
All of my AVA gear arrived except the double 240/3, and the Telarc CD's are enroute. The HT3's from FedEx are a total loss, and its a long messy story, but I'm going to go with HT2-TL's instead (still very thrilled.) I chose to do a pair just like the dark curly walnut Jim has posted on the forum, adding a claro walnut baffle instead of the satin black. Its going to look great!

I'm sure you're looking forward to coming home for a whole lot of reasons, but all that nice gear & music can't be real low on the list - congrats.

When you get back, and life settles down a bit, I'd love to come by to see & listen to all your new AVA and Salk goods.

Richard