Poll

Would you be more likely or prefer to purchase room treatments if they had WAF friendly designs?

YES
NO

WAF friendly and effective room treatments

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:48 pm »
Yup.  Can see it now.  Always saw Ethan's pics.

Anyway, back to the frivolity

Bryan

BobM

« Reply #61 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:50 pm »
Yikes - that picture sure is scary. I'm not into horror - just music.  :P

Bob

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:05 pm »
We have the first file done and ready to do the first picture.

Why this one? Well we have to enlarge it so we want to see how the quality will come out. I have a feeling it is going to be fine but better safe then sorry. Second I think the picture will look COOL  in my room!! :dance:

I will keep you all posted on how it goes. If you would like to be part of the first run, let me know and maybe we could work something out.

Glenn

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #63 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:08 pm »
What would you choose for a wood trim and/or stain for these panels Glenn? Would you stay wih your standard oak w/blown stain? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #64 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:10 pm »
My wife saw the proto and said she wanted a set.  I'm going to get them with the blonde frames.  I think it'll give the pics more of a cool sepia look.

Bryan

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:12 pm »
My wife saw the proto and said she wanted a set.  I'm going to get them with the blonde frames.  I think it'll give the pics more of a cool sepia look.

Bryan

Yea I could see that. I am going with RED though. I think this is where personal taste comes in.

Glenn

TooManyToys

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:54 pm »
Thanks for posting this thread and the poll.  If I could have voted 10 times for "YES" I would have.

Our family room is also the HT and music room, with a lot of echo.  I've showed my wife all of the options at GIK and Real Traps with a no-go.  I've showed her Zybar's setup, which I thik is neutral and that would not fly.  While the GOM option has been thrown out, that's still too obvious.

I've built cabinets, furniture, reupholstered cars, so I can do a number of things myself, but it's got to pass the WAF test.  So I've been looking at some of the things Rives has done in rooms as that would be acceptable (I think).  So some of these ideas with an artwork theme may work for me.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #67 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:57 pm »
Thanks for posting this thread and the poll.  If I could have voted 10 times for "YES" I would have.

Our family room is also the HT and music room, with a lot of echo.  I've showed my wife all of the options at GIK and Real Traps with a no-go.  I've showed her Zybar's setup, which I thik is neutral and that would not fly.  While the GOM option has been thrown out, that's still too obvious.

I've built cabinets, furniture, reupholstered cars, so I can do a number of things myself, but it's got to pass the WAF test.  So I've been looking at some of the things Rives has done in rooms as that would be acceptable (I think).  So some of these ideas with an artwork theme may work for me.

Now we just have to find the art the wife likes.  :duh:
How about this???

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_elite_table.html

BobM

« Reply #68 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:39 pm »
I think I'd be looking for something a liitle more like this, for example:

http://www.osnatfineart.com/art/abstract-paintings/4530/Skyscarpers.jsp

TooManyToys

« Reply #69 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:14 am »
Glenn,

We did look at that when Bryan gave me some thoughts many months ago. 

1) I don't think just that would do it. 
2) Not a whole lot of room for it. 
3) I'd have to remake the wood frame out of real cherry, mahogany, or whatever.

Actually the pilars got a maybe.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 11:35 am by TooManyToys »

TooManyToys

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:42 am »
Bob,

Those are good examples, for me.  Personally I would not mind paying an up-charge to have the images of her landscapes or seascapes on panels.  Or another artist.  Lets say on my right hand wall if I needed 3 panels to calm the flutter in the room I would be comfortable paying $750-1000 over sound panel charges.  I've got way more invested in my electronics and if that is what it would take to help the room sound wise and keep it presentable as a family room, so be it.  Of course the first step I would do is put utilitarian panels up to make sure the panels worked before laying out that expense.

When looking at ASC's site, some panels with images of instruments could work at least on one wall, above the speakers and above the 60" TV.  Lower behind everything I could probably use GOM covered panels.  I don't think I'm out there on a limb alone with the need for visually appealing in a mixed environment.

One of the things I've be considering doing is to get a pair of ASC quarter round bass traps and making them into columns for the corners, building my own bases and capitals.

richidoo

« Reply #71 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:25 am »
How about printing customer submitted graphics like family photos? Of course it would cost a little more to be custom, but compared to no AT at all it might be worth the premium.  No mother will ever criticize a picture of her own child, even it is covering a 4x8' sheet of OC703. She will feel like she won that battle, and you can take pictures of her parents and brothers to print on even more panels.  Just turn out the lights when you listen.  :thumb:

Hell, the wife might even want her own "special portrait" hung up in the man-cave.  8) 

Rob S.

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:19 am »
too funny, Rich....  I had considered family pictures also, but then there's the desire to change the picture every so often, it could get real expensive.

I commissioned my son's Pre-K class to paint on a cloth and I've covered up a couple of Realtrap mini's ( Ethan says not detrimental to effectiveness) .  touching work..... but the colors aren't quite right for my room much too bright- I should have volunteered in class for that activity and mixed the colors myself.  I've left them up anyway.

Then my 6yr son and I used more appropriate colors (earth tones) on another minitrap and it turned out decent.   I know he'd love to do another one.

Rob S.

Mariusz

« Reply #73 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:21 am »
How about printing customer submitted graphics like family photos? Of course it would cost a little more to be custom, but compared to no AT at all it might be worth the premium.  No mother will ever criticize a picture of her own child, even it is covering a 4x8' sheet of OC703. She will feel like she won that battle, and you can take pictures of her parents and brothers to print on even more panels.  Just turn out the lights when you listen.  :thumb:

Hell, the wife might even want her own "special portrait" hung up in the man-cave.  8) 

Mother-in-law acoustic panel might work for many reasons:

- room acoustics (practical)
- dart board (stress relief)  :uzi:

youngho

« Reply #74 on: 23 Jan 2009, 04:48 pm »
Stupid questions: can anyone comment on the measured effects of painting or screen printing on absorption? Does painting typically require thicker, less acoustically translucent fabric? I assume that paint would reflect higher frequencies but have no effect on lower frequencies, with the effect dependent on the amount of paint used, but I have no idea how significant or which frequency ranges would actually be involved. Thanks,

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #75 on: 23 Jan 2009, 05:23 pm »
I assume that paint would reflect higher frequencies but have no effect on lower frequencies

That would be correct.

but I have no idea how significant or which frequency ranges would actually be involved. Thanks,

Either would anyone else without testing the panel in a lab.

Glenn

TooManyToys

« Reply #76 on: 23 Jan 2009, 05:38 pm »
Stupid questions: can anyone comment on the measured effects of painting or screen printing on absorption? Does painting typically require thicker, less acoustically translucent fabric? I assume that paint would reflect higher frequencies but have no effect on lower frequencies, with the effect dependent on the amount of paint used, but I have no idea how significant or which frequency ranges would actually be involved. Thanks,

I believe that taking an existing painted canvas would not be the best choice.  Both the paint and substraight would not deal with the high frequencies, which is I believe where these panels would be placed is what you were trying to deal with.

But the dye or ink jet placement on a proper fabric, while not as artistically pleasing, I would think should not be an issue.  Whatever ASC is doing does not look that bad on a little computer screen.  In real life may be another thought.

face

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jan 2009, 05:55 pm »
So something like this in 3000x2000 would work?

http://face.cleanandquiet.com/store/Swan%202.jpg

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:02 pm »
Hey guys we just finished the first ones. The photo was taken by my cell phone :uzi: but will try to get better pictures once I hang them in my NEW CONDO!!  aa

I got to say that the quality is pretty outstanding. All the detail that was on the original picture seems to be 100% there.

What do you guys think?

BobM

« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan 2009, 02:03 pm »
They look great. I think the trick would be to find paintings and pictures that don't require "crisp" details and such. real world photographs of people would probably not work - too much detail. Abstract art and "fuzzier" interpretive images like the one you used probably make a better subject material.

So, what's the next step for the rest of us?

Bob