Poll

Would you be more likely or prefer to purchase room treatments if they had WAF friendly designs?

YES
NO

WAF friendly and effective room treatments

rydenfan

WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:59 pm »
Since a certain AC member wanted to keep the original thread in their forum rather than move it to here, I thought I would re-post it over here. There has been a lot of discussion lately on the topic of Acoustic Panels with a decorative theme or covering to them. I thought I would add a poll as well to help illustrate things. I am a believer that it would be of benefit to have acoustic panels with this type of covering and am curious on everyone else's opinion.

rydenfan

Re: WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:04 pm »
Here are a few examples that have been discussed

http://www.artandacoustics.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=22047&Akey=9JA538JD

http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/picture-panel-samples.htm

I very much like the look of them but their absorption rating does not seem nearly as good as products from GIK or Real Traps. So I would love to see them get into it if the demand is there.

TomW16

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:11 pm »
I would think that most people, if not everyone, would want more attractive room treatments.  More attractive treatments typically come with increased cost and as soon as cost comes into the equation, people will have different thresholds for value.

Cheers,
Tom

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:39 pm »
Colors, yes. Textures, maybe. Pics on the cloth? Not my style.

I voted "no"

but maybe I'm a retrogrouch. After all, I like scratchy vinyl!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:40 pm »
Dang. I AM a grouch. So far I'm the lone "no" vote out of 6! Sorry guys.

Paul

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:51 pm »
So what's so WRONG with being a grouch?  We've earned the right, dammit!

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:27 pm »
Obviously art, like music, is a personal thing.  Yet, I personally believe that WAF friendly, or for that matter ME friendly, room treatments would go a long way to adding a sales segment.  Now add improved acoustics and you have a winner.

A dedicated room is one thing, but I personally don't care for hanging black/white/burlap treatments on my family room walls.  Not all of us have the space or the WAF to have a dedicated 2-channel/HT room.

I guess you could say I'm all for it.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm »
I don't like pictures printed onto the panels either, unless they were classic fine art, not just jungle leaves or so called modern art.  I voted yes for more WAF treatment products in general.

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:38 pm »
I would say "Yes". 
My wife loves the idea and put that an the wish list.
My birthday is coming up so that would make a perfect gift. :wink:

P.S

If I had a dedicated room. I wouldn't care that much.
Mariusz

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:36 am »
I voted no because I have a dedicated room.  I did pick a custom color, however.
In the Family/HT room...I don't even try to compete with SWMBO.   :|

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:47 am »
I voted yes.

Even though I am lucky enough to have a large, dedicated space, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to look even better.

The reality is that large rectangles covered in a single color, simply aren't that attractive to me.

George

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:58 am »
Since a certain AC member wanted to keep the original thread in their forum rather than move it to here, I thought I would re-post it over here. There has been a lot of discussion lately on the topic of Acoustic Panels with a decorative theme or covering to them. I thought I would add a poll as well to help illustrate things. I am a believer that it would be of benefit to have acoustic panels with this type of covering and am curious on everyone else's opinion.

My goodness you guys are childish.  If you want to criticize me, do it by name, I don't care. 

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:10 am »
Some thoughts.

What we sometimes think is WAF and real WAF are often two different things.  My wife for instance thought most of the art on AT was just as ugly as the AT plain.  If somehow it was a reprint of something classical and had a beautiful wood frame on it, then maybe, just maybe it would fly, but even then only in small doses in the LR.

Someone should come up with faux wayne-scotting that is AT. The inner panels could be absorptive (is that a word?) and the rest reflective.  ...but then the prices would go exponential.

I think the hi-end home theater guys often do a really good job, but then there is the price that comes with it. 

Another nit-pic on the "trying to make things waf-friendly", almost all hi-fi is modern in styling.  Modern is popular, so I can see why, but I personally find it really boring and don't care for modern.  Neither does the spouse care for modern.  Neo-classical?  Probably too expensive to do anything that wasn't cheap looking.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:18 am »
Trying to get back on topic a bit....

What would you guys think of this?

A 3 panel progressive picture in our Elite maple frames.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:23 am »
Some thoughts.

What we sometimes think is WAF and real WAF are often two different things.  My wife for instance thought most of the art on AT was just as ugly as the AT plain.  If somehow it was a reprint of something classical and had a beautiful wood frame on it, then maybe, just maybe it would fly, but even then only in small doses in the LR.

Someone should come up with faux wayne-scotting that is AT. The inner panels could be absorptive (is that a word?) and the rest reflective.  ...but then the prices would go exponential.

I think the hi-end home theater guys often do a really good job, but then there is the price that comes with it. 

Another nit-pic on the "trying to make things waf-friendly", almost all hi-fi is modern in styling.  Modern is popular, so I can see why, but I personally find it really boring and don't care for modern.  Neither does the spouse care for modern.  Neo-classical?  Probably too expensive to do anything that wasn't cheap looking.

Actually, sometimes when doing a home theater, if the user wants a wainscoat look, we do wood panel membrane absorbers on the bottom and shif the depth/tuning to make it more broadband overall.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:30 am »

Bryan

I like it.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:40 am »
I actually do like that 3 panel artsy picture.  Not sure it'd go in my LR, but I like it none-the-less.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:59 am »
Some thoughts.

Josh,

There is no point in debating which art looks good and which doesn't - that will clearly vary from individual to individual.

That being said, if you are going to use room treatments in your listening space (whether that is your living room, dedicated space, etc...) would you rather have solid color panels or the ability to put patterns, art, etc...on them?

Personally, I like having the option to go in either direction based on price and what I find acceptable from a design standpoint.

BTW, many of those HT rooms that look killer have zero or very little room treatment.  I have a friend back in NY who installs high end HT's in NYC, Westchester, Greenwich, etc...and room treatments aren't exactly at top of people's list (even when integrated into the design).

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:03 am »
I can't state for WAF friendly as I've never been married but I think I have a good eye for an attractive audio mancave envirement and making room treatment panels to look more like art is simple good taste IMHO. I think the route AcousticArts is taking is a step in the right direction that will ultimately benefit everyone. Whether it's a print, design or whatever tickles your fancy, having a choice as to the design of an acoustic panel is for the benefit of all and hopefully more manufacturers like GIK will be getting onboard with ideas like what has been presented. I voted yes. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

rydenfan

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:31 am »

Bryan

looking good Bryan  :thumb: