Poll

Would you be more likely or prefer to purchase room treatments if they had WAF friendly designs?

YES
NO

WAF friendly and effective room treatments

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:32 am »
Trying to get back on topic a bit....

What would you guys think of this?

A 3 panel progressive picture in our Elite maple frames.

Bryan

I like it but....don't see it as wife approved.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:45 am »
It's cool, but as with many visual styles it could go out of style quickly.  If my wife sits down for more than a few minutes she wants to redecorate.  I think that  is a part of the species.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:05 am »
I voted yes.  I have 14 Realtraps in my music room, and as I remodel/repaint/redecorate I can envision a few of them having art panel covers, especially the ceiling ones (dark sky or stars, etc.).  Like George, I have a dedicated man cave music room, with little or no WAF involved (my wife's a saint).  However, I do think it adds huge flexibility to think about hanging art and having it be part of the room treatment program.  

Bryan, the guitar triptych is very cool indeed.  :thumb:  

Wow, it seems we now have a few art panel sources to choose from!  (Bryan, is this just an idea or are you launching?)  Echobusters has a 15% uplift for adding images, theirs or yours.  Realtraps is adding the Guilford cloth color palette to their choices on some of their traps.  Also, Stephen and Carole Yates are just getting started on their ArtandAcoustics website and business.  As some have said here, the initial pricing seems higher than the competition, but there is always an adjustment period for new businesses and new market ideas.  I'm sure they'd appreciate your feedback directly.  I know they are providing very high quality artistry, I've seen it up close; the question is whether the market will segment to those who value the art as highly as the acoustic treatment portion.  

I agree that acoustic treatments don't necessarily need to have pictures or images to improve their WAF.  The idea of colors, patterns, frame choices, textures, even masquerading as other things (Ethan's plant baskets)....

arthurs

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:10 am »
I'd like to see more subtle textures and prints in addition to artwork.  Might like one or two pieces that are "art" but the balance should try to blend into the room...I wouldn't hang 14 paintings in a room that wasn't a gallery....

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:15 am »
I'd like to see more subtle textures and prints in addition to artwork.  Might like one or two pieces that are "art" but the balance should try to blend into the room...I wouldn't hang 14 paintings in a room that wasn't a gallery....

Agreed.  Most of my 14 traps are corner or other bass traps, and my repainting the slope and ceiling in black will help make them disappear, frankly.  But for those that don't, it's nice to have the flexibility to think that the panel over there could be a movie poster.

arthurs

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:18 am »

Agreed.  Most of my 14 traps are corner or other bass traps, and my repainting the slope and ceiling in black will help make them disappear, frankly.  But for those that don't, it's nice to have the flexibility to think that the panel over there could be a movie poster.

I have the forest of tubes with some panels and the diffusors in the back of the room... so I'm with you Ted, it would be nice to change one or two panels out to something less "uniform" to all the others....

martinr

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:22 am »
My wife is a modern art lover  (hence of course so am I)...I think any decorative design would appeal to a number of people than just the basic white, brown, grey colors that are typically available.

- Martin

rydenfan

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:24 am »
I just think it is cool to see everyone coming together and giving their input to try and help create something new that could be enjoyed by many  :D So far the voting seems to indicate that this would be a welcomed product.

Philistine

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:34 am »
Just to liven things up I'll kick off by throwing in my view that 'American style' is an oxymoron, so anything that gets you guys away from the dull and boring panels is a step in the right direction - not that we Brits are much better! 

This means I voted yes.

My tendency is to throw any excess cash at equipment to improve my listening pleasure, buying a dull boring piece of acoustic treatment is always a second thought when in fact it might be the most effective option.  Coupling acoustic treatment with art is a great way of getting more value - killing two birds with one stone (treatment and art), on this basis I think this idea is one of the most fun and exciting topics to emerge for some time.

Another site that was raised on another thread was Echobusters:   

http://www.echobusters.com/acoustic_art.html

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:36 am »
We have a few different ideas right now.  We're not quite ready to release it.  

As for subtle patterns, those are easy.  Guilford has approx 50 styles of fabric that we can use -for various cost increases depending on the cost per yard of the particular cloth.  

As for the guitar pics - I showed my wife and she loved them.  She's trying to get me to twist Glenn's arm to make me a set for our living room.  Not all wives would be that way - I'm just lucky I guess.  

Bryan

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:38 am »
Phil,
I mentioned Echobusters earlier.  They are taking a more generic approach (not high quality art, not beautiful framing, etc) but they simply charge a 15% uplift to add images, yours or theirs.

arthurs

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:40 am »
Bryan, where can one see the GOM fabrics that are patterned?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:51 am »
 :banana piano:  Yeah, now I know what "GOM" stands for (Guilford of Maine).   :banana piano:

As I stated earlier, I'm ready to have my music room/HT redone (repainted, etc.) and many of the forum threads about painting your HT refer to GOM a lot (a lot!).  ??  Now I realize that they were simply differentiating Guilford cloth color from paint color.    :duh:  Yeah!  Thanks Art.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:52 am »
Guilford of Maine Sample Center

Here are a few examples

Auster

Block Party

Coastline

Groove

Koeda

And one pattern that we offer without special order - Timberline

All of these are available in multiple colors.  I just picked a variety.  The only thing with special orders is that we have to get 8 yards at a time to get decent pricing.

Bryan

Mariusz

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:05 am »
I want these:

When can I place my order?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:08 am »
If you can get it printed on cloth big enough to do what we need, send it to us.  We'll be happy to cover with it.   :thumb:

Seriously, we can do that - but we usually like to try a sample as not all cloth works equally well stretching and being strong enough to be attached tightly.

Bryan

arthurs

« Reply #36 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:11 am »
:banana piano:  Yeah, now I know what "GOM" stands for (Guilford of Maine).   :banana piano:

As I stated earlier, I'm ready to have my music room/HT redone (repainted, etc.) and many of the forum threads about painting your HT refer to GOM a lot (a lot!).  ??  Now I realize that they were simply differentiating Guilford cloth color from paint color.    :duh:  Yeah!  Thanks Art.

Anything I can do to help Ted!   :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:20 am »
I want these:

When can I place my order?

I really like this one!

Mariusz

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:21 am »
If you can get it printed on cloth big enough to do what we need, send it to us.  We'll be happy to cover with it.   :thumb:

Seriously, we can do that - but we usually like to try a sample as not all cloth works equally well stretching and being strong enough to be attached tightly.

Bryan

What cloth do you recommend? I might ask around. Maybe someone from the Circle wants to make few bucks????? :scratch:

That would be awesome. :drool:

I know one other company which does custom treatments but a bit over my limit......at least for now.

Someone can make a killing making those friendly treatments. :duh:

BobM

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:15 pm »
I really like the triple panel picture idea, with a musical theme like the guitar, or perhaps a jazzier one with a 4 piece group. But my panels are spread out across the room, one in each 1st reflection point and another in a front corner. They are not together, so this kind of themed portrait doesn't work for me, as much as I like it.

I'm looking for something that is less of a "picture" and a bit more abstract, similar to the ones Modwright showed (but at a "reasonable" price point). I would also not be looking to replace my existing GIK panels, but would like to purchase new fabric to cover them with. My room has a blue/grey/white/black color scheme, so something in that vein with a little splash of something else to liven it up would be nice.

I think this is the future of room treatments.

Bob