Poll

Would you be more likely or prefer to purchase room treatments if they had WAF friendly designs?

YES
NO

WAF friendly and effective room treatments

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:37 pm »
The reality is that large rectangles covered in a single color, simply aren't that attractive to me.

This is indeed the issue, and not only when they're a single color. The reality treating a room properly - with no compromises - requires a large number of panels. Each single panel could be a beautiful work of art! But when you have 10 or more of them in a room that doesn't matter anymore. Especially since they have to go in specific places, not necessarily where your spouse wants them.

--Ethan

bprice2

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:43 pm »
As others have previously stated, art is a personal thing.  That being said, it would be really cool if the customer could choose what is placed on the panel - a photo for instance.  I have a friend who has been the photographer for Austin City Limits since almost the beginning of the program.  He has photos of almost every performer who walked across the stage.  I would love to have some his work on my walls and would love it even more if the photos also served as room treatment.

I've seen photography printed on canvas before.  I wonder if it could be printed to treatment panels.  Imagine what some of these photos would look like blown up on a panel.

rydenfan

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:46 pm »
The reality is that large rectangles covered in a single color, simply aren't that attractive to me.

This is indeed the issue, and not only when they're a single color. The reality treating a room properly - with no compromises - requires a large number of panels. Each single panel could be a beautiful work of art! But when you have 10 or more of them in a room that doesn't matter anymore. Especially since they have to go in specific places, not necessarily where your spouse wants them.

--Ethan

Ethan, in an ideal scenario I understand your point. But wouldn't you agree that if a few panels are able to make it into someones home due to the artistic covering that that is better than no treatments at all?
Also, I am someone who values aesthetics and decor in all aspects of my life. Even in a room that was completely mine with no outside influence, I would still prefer to have some of my acoustic panels have an artistic finish to them.

Ted_D

« Reply #43 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:50 pm »

--Ethan

Ethan,
Your statement is simply not true. Using resonators to tune room acoustics requires only 5 small resonators placed in key acoustic pressure points. Not only do resonators effectively treat room acoustics, they have added benefits of a larger more realistic soundscape with more realistic imaging. My Acoustic ART System is proof of this fact.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III
Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #44 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:56 pm »
Doing custom prints of photos is certainly an option - though at a higher price due to the one off nature.  The biggest thing there is making sure that the customer submits something that has enough resolution and is framed and cropped properly to fit on a 2'x4' panel (or a 2'x2' panel potentially).  Standard 72dpi .jpg's aren't going to get it. 

Now, something shot with a nice hi-rez digital camera would allow it to be blown up to proper size relatively easily.

Bryan

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:05 pm »
I built them into my room. 

I have angled soffits that hold 4" thick Mineral Wool wrapped in linnen.  I basically created a ledge along the entire left and right side of the room.  Then the ceiling has a 'bracket' shaped molding that they rest in.  It creates a 24" by 22' long trap.  With wall to wall carpet in the room, and good sized furniture the acoustics are very good.  Not the best I have ever heard, but without sticking things to the walls, it makes it sound very good, definitely kills any long term resonances and the bass smoothness and feeling of proper impact and attack is nearly perfect.  My wife says that they make the room feel cozy and adds to the visual interest of the room.

-Paul

bprice2

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:06 pm »
Doing custom prints of photos is certainly an option - though at a higher price due to the one off nature.  The biggest thing there is making sure that the customer submits something that has enough resolution and is framed and cropped properly to fit on a 2'x4' panel (or a 2'x2' panel potentially).  Standard 72dpi .jpg's aren't going to get it. 

Now, something shot with a nice hi-rez digital camera would allow it to be blown up to proper size relatively easily.

Bryan

Yes sir, that's what I'm saying.   :thumb:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #47 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:11 pm »
What do you all think of this as the first panel?  :green:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #48 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:12 pm »
I built them into my room. 

I have angled soffits that hold 4" thick Mineral Wool wrapped in linnen.  I basically created a ledge along the entire left and right side of the room.  Then the ceiling has a 'bracket' shaped molding that they rest in.  It creates a 24" by 22' long trap.  With wall to wall carpet in the room, and good sized furniture the acoustics are very good.  Not the best I have ever heard, but without sticking things to the walls, it makes it sound very good, definitely kills any long term resonances and the bass smoothness and feeling of proper impact and attack is nearly perfect.  My wife says that they make the room feel cozy and adds to the visual interest of the room.

-Paul

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your room would you Paul? Thanks. :D

Cheers,
Robin

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:29 pm »

Bryan

Wanna be a Guinea Pig?

Bryan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:29 pm »
But wouldn't you agree that if a few panels are able to make it into someones home due to the artistic covering that that is better than no treatments at all?

Of course!

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #51 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:33 pm »
Not only do resonators effectively treat room acoustics, they have added benefits of a larger more realistic soundscape with more realistic imaging. My Acoustic ART System is proof of this fact.

Proof? Really? :lol:

Tell you what Ted - I'm doing some testing at IBM's acoustics lab soon. You send me a set of your magic bowls and I'll pay for the tests. Deal? I'll even pay for the return shipping back to you. So you have no reason not to agree. But are you confident enough in your products to take me up on this?

--Ethan

BobM

« Reply #52 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:34 pm »

I think a white panel with a red X on it is not really art (please check your llink and update).  :roll:

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #53 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:34 pm »

LOL, good show Glenn. There's also this:

bprice2

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:35 pm »

Bryan

Wanna be a Guinea Pig?

Bryan

If there is any place in the world I would want to be a guinea pig, it would be on AC.  The short, unequivocal answer is, hell yeah! But, I've not a dime to my name at the moment.   :cry:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #55 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:37 pm »

I think a white panel with a red X on it is not really art (please check your llink and update).  :roll:

That is strange the link is right. I see it and so does a few others.

Glenn

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:39 pm »
I don't even see the red x.  Upload it to your gallery here and embed it in the post.  Looks like there's some network blocking going on.

Bryan

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:40 pm »

The link is fine (both original and your copy)...if you call Ethan's mouth agape "fine".  :)  It's your computer, Bob, that is the problem.  (using Firefox)

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #58 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:40 pm »

I downloaded it then uploaded it to my little space on the net. IT SHOULD work now.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #59 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:41 pm »
I see both of my photos too. My site is definitely up and running. Maybe it's a routing issue? Sometimes local web ISPs (Charter, Comcast, etc) lose contact with certain locations around the country or the world. So your Internet still works, but you can't get to some sites.