Poll

Would you be more likely or prefer to purchase room treatments if they had WAF friendly designs?

YES
NO

WAF friendly and effective room treatments

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« Reply #100 on: 3 Feb 2009, 08:09 pm »
Very cool Glenn - this is the type of room treatment stuff I've been thinking would be neat.  Of course, I think being able to provide the photo to work from would be the best (almost everything hanging in our house are our own photos).  You'd be surprised how far you can stretch digital camera pictures without them looking bad.  Of course, if you're stretching it out to 4'x6' like here, then it gets trickier. 

Well I just talked to the printer and it seems as when they rip to the printer (HUGE PRESS) it has to only be at 100 dpi. It seems strange to me as I know 1200 dpi is best for offset printing, but there seems to be something about the way it is ripped. I have him writing up something now to explain all of this so I can post it. The bottom line is giving me files might not be all that hard. If you can't they can do the set up of it for a fee.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #101 on: 3 Feb 2009, 08:16 pm »
Ok got the first ones hung!!!

Very nice Glenn !!!!  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #102 on: 3 Feb 2009, 08:17 pm »
lonewolfny42,
You can lean on one at the next RMAF!!!!!!! :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #103 on: 3 Feb 2009, 08:19 pm »
lonewolfny42,
You can lean on one at the next RMAF!!!!!!! :D
......Cool... 8)

bluemike

« Reply #104 on: 3 Feb 2009, 08:46 pm »
Those are really Nice Glenn  :thumb: :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #105 on: 3 Feb 2009, 09:29 pm »
Well I just talked to the printer and it seems as when they rip to the printer (HUGE PRESS) it has to only be at 100 dpi. It seems strange to me as I know 1200 dpi is best for offset printing, but there seems to be something about the way it is ripped. I have him writing up something now to explain all of this so I can post it. The bottom line is giving me files might not be all that hard. If you can't they can do the set up of it for a fee.

Cool - manipulating the DPI setup is fairly easy in PShop.  Some quick math says that for a 6'x4' setup that 34.5MPixels would work out to ideal (7200x4800), but I expect you could go notably lower and still be fine for this type of use.  I've done ~5.5MP at 6'x1.5' and it was fine for most use, so one might even get away with a 12MP image on a 6x4 series like this.  Of course, it would be much better to get one high-res shot per panel. 

I'm not sure if I missed it in this thread, but have you had the chance to do measurements and see what impact the printed cloth has on the performance of the panels?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #106 on: 5 Feb 2009, 04:53 pm »
I'm not sure if I missed it in this thread, but have you had the chance to do measurements and see what impact the printed cloth has on the performance of the panels?

No but there is no need. DYE Sub printing prints right on the fibers so it will not change the fabric. That's is one of the nice parts and the quality it SUPER HIGH QUALITY.  The press (or should I say printer) that is used is called Teleios d-gen, which is not your office printer, but a $800,000 MONSTER!!! :lol:

Ok here are the guidelines to supplying the art.

EPS*, PDF*, TIF, JPG are considered “print ready” files and require little, if any modifications in pre-flight before the file is printed.
Supplying “print ready” file formats will insure that your project will be printed the way it was intended on a normal-to-quick-turn-around basis.
* EPS and PDF files MUST have all text converted to outlines/curves. If converting text to outlines/curves
is not possible through your design software, you MUST supply all the printer fonts used in the design.

ADDITIONAL DESIGN GUIDELINES & NOTES
FOR YOUR “print ready” DESIGNS:

SIZE: the size of the design needs to be proportional to the final print size. It is always recommended to design your large format
files at a reduced scale of 1/20, 1/10, 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2.  Designing at full size is okay but may result in a larger file which doesn’t
necessarily result in a better quality print… just more disk space.

RESOLUTION: resolution only pertains to placed images within a file’s design. Vector based art, can be enlarged to any size
without diminishing its final print quality. The resolution of any placed images within a design should fall within 85-150 dpi at final
print size. Posters and medium size prints that contain smaller text (below 24pts.) within a flat image file should be above the
150dpi range to insure legibility.

TIF: tif images the most compatible cross-platform “print ready” file type. As a tif file, the design software has already placed each
pixel in its appropriate location for the printer. A high resolution tif file is the failsafe way for supplying your documents to us to
print. Although quite large, they are to be considered as print ready as you can get. When saving a high resolution flat TIF file, do
not utilize LZW or similar compression. Both RGB or CMYK files are accepted.

Let me know if you have any questions. :P

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #107 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:30 pm »
Guys,

Which picture do you like the best?? I LOVE teles and want one more panel in my new place.

I thought maybe making this one 2 pictures. May 17"x48" per panel

or this one as 2 2'x2' panels.

BTW these are all off of http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php, which if you want to pick one from this website we can print from it. The art is around $25.00 to $35.00, which we can download for you and just charge you the cost. I don't see any need to mark that up.

Glenn

BradJudy

« Reply #108 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:07 pm »
Thanks for the info Glenn, I might look into this in a few months. 

I would vote for the 2nd/3rd picture.  I wouldn't do the last one in two panels because I think it would look odd with the neck sliced down the length.

The stock photo website is a good idea for a lot of people (although we also have some killer photographers on the forum).  They even have pictures of vacuum tubes and tube electronics. 

How about this for a three panel series for the tube heads:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #109 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:19 pm »
that is KILLER!!!!!!!!!!

rydenfan

« Reply #110 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:53 pm »
Tube panels would be sweeeeet  :drool:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #111 on: 5 Feb 2009, 07:03 pm »
That would be 3 different photos but put one on each panel would look pretty cool on the back or front wall.

That would run $285 x 3 (3 panels) plus what ever the pictures cost. If you guys want to get together I would be willing to buy the photo myself if enough people order or prorate it between the orders.

Glenn

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #112 on: 5 Feb 2009, 07:05 pm »
Love the tube panels.

Also, maybe you could work out something with Nathan, etc.

He's got some phenomenal photos on his website.  I don't know if he'd be interested, but I would.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #113 on: 6 Feb 2009, 04:24 pm »
I've spoken with Nathan a little.  It seems as though we're going to do more 'let the customer pick'.  We'd be happy to work with any of Nathan's art if someone wants it and can work out getting the 'ready copy' from Nathan.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #114 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:29 pm »
I found this pic on a friend of mine's website

rockadanny

« Reply #115 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:58 pm »
And if I could use my onw photo I'd be willing to have you change out the current fabric and replace with new pictured fabric. Oh heck yes!

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:03 pm »
We can definitely do that.

Bryan

Mariusz

« Reply #117 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:17 pm »
B&W tubes or LP/cart/arm would be awesome.
I really like this directon.  aa

Mariusz

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #118 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:42 pm »
I'm going to see if I can talk Scott F into sneaking over to his place and taking some pics of his Droplet Turntable.  He has the acrylic platter lit  and when you put on an original pressing of Grand Funk - We're An American Band - it takes on a sweet orange glow.  That would translate nicely to B&W also.  Add in the Dynavector arm and that would be a great pic IMO.

Bryan

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #119 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:38 pm »
 aa aa