Poll

Would you be more likely or prefer to purchase room treatments if they had WAF friendly designs?

YES
NO

WAF friendly and effective room treatments

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: WAF friendly and effective room treatments
« Reply #140 on: 7 Mar 2009, 01:59 am »
To get the printing to the quality we want and still control the acoustical properties of the panel, we'd prefer to just get a graphic file and then have it printed ourselves to known quality and on known cloth that allows us to control the acoustical properties.

Bryan

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #141 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:02 pm »
So, if my math is right does that mean an art panel based off the standard 242 panel for $195?

Your math is close. We are going to try to start them at $199.99 if there is no art charge. One thing you have to keep in mind is the panel needs about 5" on all sides when using the NON wood sides. So either the art has to be a way that it does not matter if something is going off the edge (Like the guitar one with the cord running off the side) or we can have the graphic artiest work with the image (that is where art charges comes in). Frank (GIK CS REP) is able to view the art to be able to see if it will work.

Glenn

brj

« Reply #142 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:20 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I agree the world map is cool!  I love maps, always have.

Hmmm.... a sepia toned or "antiqued" map from the 1700s or 1800s would be sweet, especially split across multiple panels!

(of course, then you need the little sea monster and a "here be dragons!" written in a well turned script...)

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #143 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I agree the world map is cool!  I love maps, always have.

Hmmm.... a sepia toned or "antiqued" map from the 1700s or 1800s would be sweet, especially split across multiple panels!

(of course, then you need the little sea monster and a "here be dragons!" written in a well turned script...)

I saw Frank was working with someone that wants a map (I am guessing it is one of you guys  :wink:) so maybe he (who ever you are) might let others use the art?  :D

dvenardos

« Reply #144 on: 12 Mar 2009, 12:04 am »
I saw Frank was working with someone that wants a map (I am guessing it is one of you guys  :wink:) so maybe he (who ever you are) might let others use the art?  :D

That's me. :)
I found a jpeg of the National Geographic Map.
Here is the original and after I cropped it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dvenardos/GikArtPanel?feat=directlink

My notes to Frank replying to his comment on aspect ratio issues:
Quote from: Don
I cropped the picture a bit and I get an aspect ration of 1.55 (1160/751). If we use the standard panel and center the picture on the sides but wrap the top and bottom I get 48" x 32" and an aspect ratio of 1.5. 1.55 gives a width of 48" and a height of 31". So it looks to me like this should work?

Quote from: Frank
The image would be fine.  The aspect ratio is the issue.  The thing is, even if we do a regular 242 we still have to try to get the image in the center of the panel so that the cut lines don’t cut off Antarctica.  The face dimensions for the 242 are the same as the elite: 24”x48”.  The sides add a bit, making the total graphic 32”x56”

edit:
Here are the aspect ratios for a horizontal panel:
48/24  = 2/1    Elite Panel
48/32  = 3/2    Standard Panel top/bottom overwrapped
56/32  = 7/4    Standard Panel both top/bottom and sides overwrapped

The map doesn't look good with the 1.55 aspect ratio mentioned above, too much of the top and bottom of the map is wrapped around (cut off). It needs to fit the 2/1 aspect ratio, so the map needs to be shrunk to fit and the sides filled with a color or some kind of graphic. I added an image to the album that shows the map in a 2/1 aspect ratio with a dark brown fill color. What do you guys think? It would probably be best as a custom size without the fill or with some cool graphics on the sides.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2009, 06:26 pm by dvenardos »

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #145 on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:13 pm »
Hey,
Just talked to Frank and one other option is to custom size the Elite to about 37"x24". That way it will fit perfect. :)

Glenn

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #146 on: 12 Mar 2009, 02:18 pm »
Bryan,

Some of these art poster websites offer fabric prints.  I've seen some I like but don't understand how to get you to make sound treatments with them.  Do you use these prints (sent from the buyer) or do you need the pdf file and make your own? 

Scott

As Bryan said we do like files, BUT we can also have the graphic artiest scan in something for you. Not sure of the charge, but it can be done. If you would like email me (through the GIK website) with the size of the print and I can get a quote worked out for you.

Glenn

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #147 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:40 pm »

Scott F.

« Reply #148 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:21 pm »
I'm going to see if I can talk Scott F into sneaking over to his place and taking some pics of his Droplet Turntable.  He has the acrylic platter lit  and when you put on an original pressing of Grand Funk - We're An American Band - it takes on a sweet orange glow.  That would translate nicely to B&W also.  Add in the Dynavector arm and that would be a great pic IMO.

Bryan

Believe it or not, I just caught up with this thread  :o

Heck yeah, come on over and we can snap some hi-rez shots of all kinds of colored vinyl. That and I think I'd like to order a few panels with some pics I've taken over the years. Those would look way better than my home made burlap panels  :lol:

BradJudy

« Reply #149 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:22 pm »
Those aspect ratios are important to know.  Glenn or Bryan, can you add those to the "print ready" page on the site?  BTW: It's nice that you already have the new art products on the site.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #150 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:27 pm »
Hey Brad

I'll have to confirm exactly what he's thinking when he posted that.

Scott

There are a few things in your basement that would make some sweet pics for sure.  When I get some time, I'll give you a shout.

Bryan

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #151 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:57 pm »
I know what I am getting Bryan for his birthday this year.

:thumb: :lol:

FrankGIK

« Reply #152 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:08 pm »
Hi guys...this is Frank, the lead customer service rep here at GIK Acoustics.  I'm actually the guy who handles all the graphics for the Art Panels, so I wanted to chime in to help clarify a couple of things.

The panels are all stock 2'x4', so if you have an image with a native ratio of 1:2, it will fit exactly.  If that's the case I can stick the image right in the template, scale it, flatten it, crop it and output it in .tif for the print shop.  Easy like falling off a log.  If the image is something other than that...2:3 for example...then we have a few options: we can crop it and leave white space at the ends, we can stretch it to fit or we can just make a custom panel.  In the case of a 2:3 image, that would end up being a 24"x36" panel, of course.  There would be a small additional cost for the custom sizing, but it would almost always be smaller than sending something to the graphics shop for formatting.  Actually, as another option we could always take a particularly large image and break it up in to several panels.  

On the other hand, there are images that already have a bunch of space built into them.  I was working on an image of a '64 Les Paul for a 2'x4' 242 the other day...the image wasn't native 1:2, but it didn't matter because there was a ton of negative space to play with.  I could just blow the image up to fit the panel, no muss or fuss.

The thing that really, *really* matters is the resolution of the image.  It absolutely must be no less than 100dpi, and 150dpi is better.  So far most of the artwork has been coming in at significantly higher resolution than that, and that's great.  300dpi is probably as high as you need to go though.

Basically we're treating every single Art Panel as a custom job; every single one will get my personal attention, passing through me for an art review and QC, and I'll be in communication with every Art Panel customer to make sure everything happens the way it should.

Frank

BradJudy

« Reply #153 on: 12 Mar 2009, 09:14 pm »
I think the extra services of figuring it all out are great, but for those of us who are digital photo savvy, we could provide a truly print-ready image.  The exact dimensions were the only thing missing from the "print ready" webpage to create a print ready file. 

dvenardos

« Reply #154 on: 12 Mar 2009, 10:04 pm »
I think the extra services of figuring it all out are great, but for those of us who are digital photo savvy, we could provide a truly print-ready image.  The exact dimensions were the only thing missing from the "print ready" webpage to create a print ready file. 
Yeah, and even for those of us that aren't it really helps to get an idea of what will work and what won't and how it might scale, stretch, crop, etc.

The custom size is very reasonable, but with shipping put me over my budget on Elite Panel. Frank was able to do a custom size on the standard art panel and use my brown fill for wrapping the top/bottom/sides.  :thumb:
So, if you want a map you can use the cropped image and get an Elite Panel sized to match or Frank's brown fill image for the same size on a standard panel.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #155 on: 12 Mar 2009, 10:21 pm »

The size of the Elite is 24"x48" print
The standard 242 is 24"x48" with a extra 5" around the panel that go on the sides and part of the back (it needs a bit to fold). The actual sides are 2.75". You could cheat and make it around 3" of image area with the last 2" of white space, but that would be cutting it close.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 12:16 pm by Glenn Kuras »

FrankGIK

« Reply #156 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:05 pm »

You're absolutely right Brad.  For those who are adept at Illustrator or Photoshop, you could create a hi-res image in exactly the right format.  The best way to output it is as a .tif file...that's as print-ready a file as there is.  I do want everyone to know that if a custom size is necessary, or if there's some tweaking required to get the panel looking exactly the way you want it, I am more than happy to do that.

Frank

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #157 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:59 pm »
Hello Glenn, Frank and Bryan,
Wonderful brainstorming going on here, and some truly beautiful panels. You're making me dislike my brand spankin' new panels I installed a couple months ago.  :duh:

With your permission, I'd like to like to "borrow" some of your images in this thread and link the HawthorneAudio guys over here. We've been talking about the subject 'hot and heavy' recently.

Thanks,
Bob

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #158 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:22 pm »
Please do and thanks for linking to it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #159 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:43 pm »
You're welcome and thank you Glenn.

If I had the finances, I'd have you build a panel for me that could be placed horizontally instead of vertically.
It would look something like this:

Although, there's always that whole copywrite issue to contend with. But I wouldn't tell.  :wink: