Films worth a 2nd look . .

jimdgoulding

Films worth a 2nd look . .
« on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:53 pm »
Didn't know where to put this and surely we all have favorites.  The Quiet American.  This is a quality movie about deep subjects and well written.  Sure do recommend it. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Films worth a 2nd look . .
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2008, 09:23 pm »
"Poseidon" - 2006(?) With Kurt Russell.
I bought the movie on DVD as soon as it was released and loved it. Just watched it the other night and was BLOWN away, all over again.
Darn good movie. A++
It's also good food for the subwoofer too.  aa

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2008, 08:51 am »
Devil in a Blue Dress with Denzel Washington.

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2008, 03:26 pm »
Just rented this this week and thought it was done very well, even though it's subtitled ... Mongol.

Enjoy,
Bob

Mightyburner

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2008, 04:51 pm »
Devil in a Blue Dress with Denzel Washington.

I swear I thought I'd never hear anyone give this film its proper due.  :thumb:

yooper

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2008, 05:07 pm »
Just rented this this week and thought it was done very well, even though it's subtitled ... Mongol.

Enjoy,
Bob

Oh man...... yes, that was a great movie.  I'm usually to shallow to accept a movie with subtitles, but a movie that is dealing with a different era of time (1200's) and from another part of the world, IMHO it must be subtitles, it makes the film much more believable.

Another film I throughly enjoyed (which happens to be subtitled as well) was Apocalypto, fantastic film!  I look forward to watching both of these films a second time.

Mark

soundbitten1

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2008, 06:31 pm »
Being There ( 1979 ) . Maybe Peter Sellers best movie . There are all sorts of things going on in the movie that could relate to today especially government , television & politics . Very funny but also thought provoking .

byteme

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2008, 06:51 pm »
I love threads like this to turn you on to things you bypassed because you poo-poo'd them or thought they'd be crap.  Other threads that are fun like that are "best movie no one ever heard of".

Thanks for the tip on Mongol - that looks great!

Agree on Apocalypto really enjoyed that.  Will have to watch it again.

A couple that I can think of -

Leon (The Professional) - wow, just wow, get the euro version!  Gary Oldman, Jean Reno, Natalie Portman - killer performances (pun intended!)
Big Blue - again, if you've seen the American version you probably HATED this movie - get the euro version, Eric Serra at his best, Jean Reno
True Romance - what a great flick!
Suicide Kings - heard about this in one of those "movies you never heard of" threads - great but uncomfortable story, great acting, gotta love Christopher Walken!

If you can fight through subtitles I also really like La Femme Nikita.  As you can tell I'm a HUGE Luc Besson fan, yes, even Fifth Element!  Which could probably also be added to this list - I think a lot of people pushed it off because of Chris Tucker's over the top performance.  When looking back at it now though, it was done in '97, the character is not too far fetched from reality considering what diva's performers have become in order to get and keep attention!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2008, 07:00 pm »
Leon (The Professional) - wow, just wow, get the euro version!  Gary Oldman, Jean Reno, Natalie Portman - killer performances (pun intended!)
I'll second that!! It's a fantastic movie.
My kids flipped out when I told them "that young girl" is princess Amedala[sp?] from Star Wars.  :lol:

Bob

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2008, 08:56 pm »
Hard Candy.  Not a family movie, but interesting and intense.  I'd also add Irreversible to that same category.

jermmd

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2008, 09:03 pm »
Didn't know where to put this and surely we all have favorites.  The Quiet American.  This is a quality movie about deep subjects and well written.  Sure do recommend it. 

Which version of this movie do you recommend? 1958 vs. 2002?

Joe

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2008, 09:09 pm »
if you like mongol also check out "genghis khan-to the ends of the earth and sea".

yooper

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2008, 10:13 pm »
Thank you!  I just added the film to the top of my Netflix queue and I look forward to watching it.

Mark

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:28 am »
Hard Candy.  Not a family movie, but interesting and intense.  I'd also add Irreversible to that same category.

Choke - saw it at a really nice theater in Charlotte which shows some art house films - not as violent (some strong sexual content - he's a sex addict who left med school) as these but uses some of the same techniques. It is a comedy/psychological puzzle film

Cast and Crew
Director : Clark Gregg
Producer : Beau Flynn,Tripp Vinson,Temple Fennell
Screenwiter : Clark Gregg
Starring : Sam Rockwell,Anjelica Huston,Kelly Macdonald,Brad William Henke, Bijou Phillips

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2008, 07:49 am »
Yeah, at it's core, wasn't The Professional a love story?  And did it have good music or what?  For foreign language movies I must remember to rent La Vie Rouge (bout Edith Piaf).  Won Best Actress at Oscar, ya know.  Anybody else like Pan's Labyrinth?  You'll have to cop to being a romantic to admit it.  Guess I'm renting Mongol. 

Jerm- the 2002 version (The Quiet American) is the one I've seen and recommend.  The Year of Living Dangerously is good viewing, also.  True Romance goes without sayin (to me) but thanks for sayin.  Saw Cat People recently on cable.  Pretty movie filmed in New Orleans but a pretty dumb movie if you can't suspend disbelief (even if you can, maybe, but PRETTY).  And I agree that Chris Tucker's performance, whatever, is doo-doo in the extreme, Byteme, something to do the studio's idea of ticket buyers, I suppose.  How else could that pass Go?

Devil In A Blue Dress is possibly everybody's first look at Don Cheadle (maybe Boogie Nights) and Denzel is so freakin right on as Easy Rawlins (from the novel by Walter Mosley).  L.A. Confidential is worth a second look.  Beautiful in hi-def and the writing is very creative.  Ya'll dont let me kill this thread, now!

denjo

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2008, 01:01 pm »
Deliverance (Burt Reynolds)
Casablanca (play it again Sam)
Goodbye Girl
Cinema Paradiso

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:56 pm »
Actor Chris Cooper's best performance to date is in Breach, IMO.  A movie worth a second look.  Like him in John Sayles' Lone Star, too.  Another worth a second look.

ZLS

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2008, 07:52 pm »
Actor Chris Cooper's best performance to date is in Breach, IMO.  A movie worth a second look.  Like him in John Sayles' Lone Star, too.  Another worth a second look.

Chris Cooper is an extraordinary actor who become the part he is playing.  Lone Star is an excellent movie dealing with the conflicts between children and parents. 

I do have to disagree about Devil In A Blue Dress.  I am about to commit the grevious sin of faulting a book by comparing to the book that it was based on.  The true strength  of Easy Rawlins is that he is a man who recognized his weakness, and dealt with the.  He was not as vicious as Mouse; he was certainly not as sexually adept (a nice way of putting it) he was not as powerful as the people he dealt with, but he understood and dealt with all this.  This was never going to be the depiction as long as Denzel Washington played Easy. 
    This is what I could not get passed. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2008, 10:08 pm »
ZLS is a purist.  I admire him for it.  Denzel looked pretty good walking around with a swollen jaw toward the end of the movie (somebody's concession to the character) and I liked his speaking voice.  Easy was from Texas like me.  Denzel is a New Yorker.

drphoto

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2008, 06:46 pm »
Check out "The Man Who Would be King" by the late great John Huston. Starring Micheal Caine and Sean Connery.