Films worth a 2nd look . .

jimdgoulding

Re: Films worth a 2nd look . .
« Reply #100 on: 24 Sep 2009, 03:36 pm »
When Fonda's character uttered that line near the end, "No man, we blew it", I thought he owned it he being the pensive one of the duo.  Come to find out Hopper wrote it, he wrote it all.  He's always played such a clown I was floored to learn that.

True Confessions is well worth a second look.  DeNiro and Duvall.  Great script and story and attention to period detail. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #101 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm »
A couple of buddies and I saw Easy Rider while in high school.  We were a little freaked out coming out of the theater in the dark.  I still remember some of those scenes.

martyo

« Reply #102 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:46 pm »
Off the Map

Copied from Amazon:
Off the Map avoids conventional drama (hardly any event leads to an outcome you could expect) but the lean, sharp dialogue and superb performances make this movie a rich, human comedy. A young girl named Bo, living in the New Mexico desert, rebels against her bohemian parents by reading Forbes magazine and applying for credit cards. Her father Charley (Sam Elliott, Tombstone) has sunk deep into a paralyzing depression; her resilient, industrious mother Arlene (Joan Allen, The Upside of Anger) alternates between gently supporting Charley and railing against his zombie-like state. Into this off-balance family comes a tax auditor (Jim True-Frost, Singles), who--after being stung by a bee and lapsing into a sudden fever--becomes an accidental catalyst for change. In her movie debut as Bo, Valentina de Angelis gives a wonderful performance, head and shoulders above most actors her age. Campbell Scott's direction, as with his first film Big Night, is warm but not sappy; he has a gift for letting a story wander without it ever getting lost. The New Mexico landscape glows in the sun and helps give Off the Map a quiet but mysterious vision of life. --Bret Fetzer

Rackon

« Reply #103 on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:58 am »
I could list tons of movies worth a second look. There have been some great suggestions here - I was pleased to see Lone Star, Spinal Tap, Do the Right Thing, Blood Simple and many others mentioned. I love The Man Who Would Be King - great film.

I'm avoiding mentioning the great films and classics like Third Man, Spartacus, Lawrence Of Arabia (Bob, it ain't THAT long, and it's anything but boring), et al because, honestly, the great films are self recommending.

But there are scores of lesser known or overlooked films that fall through the cracks, and those are the ones I like to bring up.

Death At A Funeral - Brit comedy, saw it in theaters a couple years ago, great cast and everyone in the audience laughed 'til we cried.

24 Hour Party People - from director Michael WInterbottom who is one of the best working today...anyone who remitely loves rock music must see this.

Hot Fuzz I loved this - not exactly action, not exaclty comedy, not entirely satire but all three.

Inside Man Twisty "thriller" with brains

The Grifters Speaking of twisty, this is my favorite neo noir (along with Blood Simple. If this sort of thing is up your alley, also check out Red Rock West, with Nic Cage.

I could probably list 50 others but I'm gettin' sleepy.

Anybody here love SF?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #104 on: 30 Oct 2009, 03:48 pm »
A recent big movie that entertains to me on repeated viewings is Michael Clayton.  It's intelligently written, I think.  Has anyone seen the previews on TV of a yet to be released movie with Cameron Diaz about "you push a button and receive a million dollars but someone must die if you do".  Does that strike anyone else as a particularly dumb idea for a movie?
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009, 04:48 pm by jimdgoulding »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #105 on: 30 Oct 2009, 04:20 pm »
I believe the Diaz movie is a remake of an old twilight zone episode.  It worked in the episode, but I have serious doubts about it as a movie.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #106 on: 30 Oct 2009, 05:55 pm »

Anybody here love SF?

+1 on 'The Thin Man' series and 'Blood Simple'.

How about 'The Forbidden Planet' ? Was Anne Francis anyone else's wall poster, before wall posters ? Classics - 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', 'The Thing (from another Planet)', 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 'Them' (granted corney by today's standards, but it was the 50's), moving forward - 'THX 1138' (George Lucas's 1st I believe), 'A Boy & His Dog', 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' (with the Thin White Duke), 'This Planet Earth', 'Silent Running'.

While not a particular fan of remakes, cudos to Mr Carpenter for his version of 'The Thing' in particular, and 'Invasion of the BS' is pretty good too.

A Happy & Safe Halloween to All   :icon_twisted:

eparson

« Reply #107 on: 30 Oct 2009, 07:35 pm »
Here are a few that I find myself watching over and over:

Finding Forester -- Sean Connery is great with his role in this, and the Kid (can't remember the actors name) was great, and I believe it was his first film.

The Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman is a great old school Western with a twist -- the over the hill gunslinger.

Million Dollar Baby -- Clint and Morgan again along with Hillary Swank.  Some great dialouge...Clint has really become an excellent director and knows how to set the mood and pace of a movie to tell the story.

The Shaw Shank Redemption -- Another Morgan Freeman classic with Tim Robbins.  I can and do watch this film over and over, what alot of people don't know is that this film was based on a Steven King short story. 

WGH

« Reply #108 on: 30 Oct 2009, 09:03 pm »
Young Frankenstein - Mel Brooks directs a brilliant and very funny homage to the original Frankenstein film. Look for Gene Hackman as the blind man, he had already been in "The French Connection" and "The Conversation" by this time and his performance in Young Frankenstein is a hoot.

I just saw the movie last night at La Placita Cinema, a free outdoor theater that shows classic movies. When Inga says "He would have an enormous schwanzstucker!" the 6 year old next to us asked his dad "What is a schwanzstucker?" His dad didn't have an answer.

Both "The French Connection" and "The Conversation" are worth a 2nd look too.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #109 on: 30 Oct 2009, 09:41 pm »
Young Frankenstein IS a great trip.  "Artwork that opens and shuts"?  Is that cool or what?  Man, I love that!  Not from the movie, WGH's signature.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #110 on: 9 Dec 2009, 05:35 am »
Taken-  It's a formula movie and a total crock, but is this guy the greatest anti-hero ever or what?  Ya gotta love the way he DOES NOT fuque around.  Talk about dotting your i's.  My man.  Saw it again tonite on cable.  It's a kick in the head.

If you wanna see the worst movie ever made, don't know why you should, but, my candidate is Black Gunn starring the inimitable actor's actor, Jim Brown.
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2009, 05:52 pm by jimdgoulding »