Films worth a 2nd look . .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Films worth a 2nd look . .
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2009, 03:41 pm »
Speaking of epics like Spartacus  :thumb:  one of the best films I have ever seen is the fully restored Lawrence of Arabia.  If you can see it in a proper theater or the world's best home theater (like Bob's from St Louis), DO SO!  It is visually stunnning and is a great primer for all the crap going on today in that little corner of the world.

:lol: :thumb: I haven't seen that movie in 20 years. Very good flik.
Although, wasn't it like eight hours or something like that?
Hell, I'd fall asleep so many times it would have to be a week long event.  :duh: :rotflmao:

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2009, 06:15 am »
Yeah, Bobby, you're right on with LoA.  But you didn't mention Kirk Douglas' critically acclaimed haircut in Spartacus, mate?  THAT'S where Chris-Lonewolfny got his look, aye?  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan 2009, 06:22 am »
Gladiators don't wear wristwatches.

dado5

« Reply #63 on: 2 Feb 2009, 07:42 pm »
There are lots of movies that are worth watching over and over again IMO.  Singin' in the Rain and Casablanca would be at the top of my list in that regard.

Rather I'll take this as a chance to list some movies that turned out much better than I expected. Films that looked bad or cheesy or dumb, but were actually well worth a second viewing:

In Good Company-not the goofy 'father v. suitor' movie the previews made it out to be. Rather a very good redemption tale well scripted, directed and acted.

The Secret- cover art and descriptions indicated a 'supernatural thriller'. The actual film was a unique telling of a mother coming to understand her daughter. David Duchovny was good as a conflicted father in an impossible situation, but the movie belonged 100% to the girl playing the daughter - I don't know her name but she played Juno's friend in that movie - a really stellar performance.

The Condemned - best take on the life or death 'reality show' premise in a long time. No cartooning of the violence or the characters. Like 'Rollerball', it ended offering more than its situational plot.

These are the recent ones that come to mind. Rent them and be pleasantly surprised (none are for kids though!)

« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2009, 09:35 pm by dado5 »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #64 on: 8 Feb 2009, 02:16 pm »
Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing.  Gets better every time I see it.  How about I call this a masterpiece.  Characters galore.  Tons of funny stuff.  Tons of real stuff.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #65 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:27 pm »
A couple of flicks I saw on cable this week and would like to nominate:  Animal House- that sonofagun is funnier that the last time I saw it ten years ago.  To Die For- one of these days, Nicole Kidman will recieve a lifetime achievement award, hopefully not posthumously, and this has GOT to be included.  She's perfect.  The late, as an actor, Joaquin Phoenix is in this, too, also perfect.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 17 Feb 2009, 07:50 pm »
I watched the first half of "Helter Skelter" last night.  :?
Tonight is 'part II'.
Jeez, I hope I don't turn out twisted up in the head after watching this.

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #67 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:35 pm »
Too late, Bob, too late. :nono:
 :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 17 Feb 2009, 09:30 pm »
 :wink: Yea, I thought I was leaving that open for somebody to poke me.  :lol:

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #69 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:54 am »
Speaking of helter skelter, I was about to go to the Altamont fiasco and I'm forever glad I didn't.  Stupid Dead for recommending stone social retards with no vibe beyond their frame of reference to "police" the crowd.  What the fuck were they thinking?  

Saw Good Night, and Good Luck on cable yesterday.  Recommend it.  It's about politics at large, not just it's principle subject.  Ordered the soundtrack, too.  You might, also, if you see this.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 02:16 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #70 on: 18 Mar 2009, 03:37 pm »
Electra Glide in Blue.  What do you guys think of Gone Baby Gone?  Good writing, lots of interesting characters (tho some as horrible as any movie that has preceded it), good performances (the actress playing the baby's mother was justifiably nominated for best supporting actress and get a load of Ed Harris).  And yet, two things just didn't work for me.  The guy who played the lead (excellent in Drowning Mona, very funny) and the ending.  Anybody?
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2009, 09:51 pm by jimdgoulding »

drphoto

« Reply #71 on: 18 Mar 2009, 03:55 pm »
"October Sky" based on the book "The Rocket Boys"   A great story and well made film.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #72 on: 26 Apr 2009, 10:30 am »
Charlie Wilson's War-  All the small details and funny dialog are much better appreciated the second time around. 

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #73 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:17 pm »
2nd Charlie Wilson's War

Silence of the Lambs

A Clockwork Orange

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

On a lighter note:

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles

Good Morning Vietnam

jimdgoulding

« Reply #74 on: 4 May 2009, 01:54 pm »
Office Space.  Get a kick out of the soundtrack, too.  Very funny.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 4 May 2009, 02:20 pm »
Where's my Slimline stapler?  :scratch:

:rotflmao:

Fantastic movie, a classic for sure.

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #76 on: 4 May 2009, 05:19 pm »
Hey Bob, 'what's happening'.  Been showing your "O face" lately?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #77 on: 4 May 2009, 06:03 pm »
East is East.

Well maybe a first look for most, you'll be wondering what took you so long.  Om Puri is terrific.

boead

« Reply #78 on: 4 May 2009, 06:05 pm »

ebag4

« Reply #79 on: 4 May 2009, 06:07 pm »

:thumb: One of my all time favorites!  A dream of dark and troubling things....