Films worth a 2nd look . .

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Films worth a 2nd look . .
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2008, 07:12 pm »
The Third Man - old Orson Welles film, but still comes off as quite modern in theme and tone. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2008, 06:03 am »
2 Days in the Valley.  Multi layered mystery with an ensemble cast including Charlize Theron (in her film debut) and Teri Hatcher.  The do battle even.  Fun flick.

TerryO

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2008, 06:19 am »
Four that I would watch again and again:

Master and Commander
The Prestige
The African Queen
Evil Roy Slade

My 13 year old son especially likes:

Ronin
We Were Soldiers
Saving Pvt. Ryan

Best Regards,
TerryO

ZLS

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2008, 11:51 am »
The Third Man - old Orson Welles film, but still comes off as quite modern in theme and tone. 

A movie that contains Both a great musical theme and a all time classical villain. 

Who could possibly want more? 

BobM

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:31 pm »
What did you think about "1408"? I really liked this movie and though John Cusack's acting was exemplary. It showed a more dramatic side of him that I never saw before.

Bob

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2009, 05:44 pm »

A movie that contains Both a great musical theme and a all time classical villain. 

Who could possibly want more?

How about a great acting performance by Joseph Cotton and a stunningly beautiful girl?

Mariusz

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:09 pm »
"JFK"
"Training day" - IMO an explosive duo.
"Crimson tide" - another great duo........no surprise there.
"Hard candy" is very different kind of cinematography and interesting concept indeed but I wouldn't watch it twice.
The enigma is solved and there is nothing to explore or enjoy. Great movie tho - highly recommended.
"Requiem for dream" one of my all time favorite drama/disturbing movie ever. *****
"The Towering Inferno" - 1974 and "The Poseidon Adventure" - 1972 are classic disaster movies with fabulous cast.
"Escape From Alcatraz" - 1979 also worth a second look.
.............and many more.

Mariusz :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:15 pm »
Has anybody ever seen the Michael Douglas/Sean Pean movie called "The Game"?
Wow, wow, wow!!!
Not only is it a DARN good movie, but the ending will drop your jaw, guaranteed. aa

Bob

Bigfish

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:20 pm »
Wow, wow, wow!!!
Not only is it a DARN good movie, but the ending will drop your jaw, guaranteed. aa

Bob

Bob:

"The Game" is a very intense movie and fantastic the first time you see it.  The ending is so unexpected and surprising. 

Ken

BobM

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:28 pm »
Wow, wow, wow!!!

Bob

Bob:

"The Game" is a very intense movie and fantastic the first time you see it.  The ending is so unexpected and surprising. 

Ken

Yes - one of my all time favorites. Surprising that Hollywood didn't try to make a sequel and ruin it.

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:19 pm »
The Coen Brothers first movie, Blood Simple.  And, of course Raising Arizona.  Burn After Reading, their most recent movie, has a lot in common with Blood Simple in that the characters never know WTF is going on.  The audience does but they remain clueless.  That's the Coen Bros devious originality.  BS ends more neatly and satifying than BAR, IMO, and is the better movie.  Raising Arizona is madcap with fully fleshed out characters galore.  Bloody beautifully concieved, scripted, and performed movie.  "Hell, I don't know . . they had Yodas and shit on em!"- Nathan Arizona.  I think Raising Arizona is one of my top 10 if I ever really thought about it.  Worth a bunch of looks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:30 pm »
The Coen Brothers first movie, Blood Simple.  And, of course Raising Arizona.  Burn After Reading, their most recent movie, has a lot in common with Blood Simple in that the characters never know WTF is going on.  The audience does but they remain clueless.  That's the Coen Bros devious originality.  BS ends more neatly and satifying than BAR, IMO, and is the better movie.  Raising Arizona is madcap with fully fleshed out characters galore.  Bloody beautifully concieved, scripted, and performed movie.  "Hell, I don't know . . they had Yodas and shit on em!"- Nathan Arizona.  I think Raising Arizona is one of my top 10 if I ever really thought about it.  Worth a bunch of looks.

+10
"You're a flower, you are."  BS, Raising, hell even Big Lebowski..are so full of unique and memorable characters that it's hard not to quote them for the rest of your life.  Raising Arizona was made for Nicholas Cage.  I know he's done good things since, but Hi was his role!  One of my top 20.
"Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."

CSI

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jan 2009, 05:54 pm »
Actor Chris Cooper's best performance to date is in Breach, IMO.  A movie worth a second look.  Like him in John Sayles' Lone Star, too.  Another worth a second look.

Chris Cooper is an extraordinary actor who become the part he is playing.  Lone Star is an excellent movie dealing with the conflicts between children and parents. 

I do have to disagree about Devil In A Blue Dress.  I am about to commit the grevious sin of faulting a book by comparing to the book that it was based on.  The true strength  of Easy Rawlins is that he is a man who recognized his weakness, and dealt with the.  He was not as vicious as Mouse; he was certainly not as sexually adept (a nice way of putting it) he was not as powerful as the people he dealt with, but he understood and dealt with all this.  This was never going to be the depiction as long as Denzel Washington played Easy. 
    This is what I could not get passed. 

I have to agree about "Devil". The movie had a good look but was just another pleasant Star turn for DW. Read the book. In fact, read the whole (short) series by Walter Mosley. IMHO, the best writer of LA based detective fiction since Raymond Chandler.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:59 am »

+10
"You're a flower, you are."  BS, Raising, hell even Big Lebowski..are so full of unique and memorable characters that it's hard not to quote them for the rest of your life.  Raising Arizona was made for Nicholas Cage.  I know he's done good things since, but Hi was his role!  One of my top 20.
"Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."

From the voice over in the opening, right?   

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2009, 01:19 am »
Yes, but being that the pre-credits voiceover scene was like 11-12 minutes long..  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:06 am »
Speaking of Nicholas Cage, how about "The Lord of War"?
That's a good flick. Another one that's "made for" Mr. Cage.

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:18 am »
Check out "The Man Who Would be King" by the late great John Huston. Starring Micheal Caine and Sean Connery.

Excellent movie

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #37 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:20 am »
Just rented this this week and thought it was done very well, even though it's subtitled ... Mongol.

Enjoy,
Bob

Just picked this up on Blu-Ray - it is also rated as excellent for HD PQ

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2009, 04:17 am »
Brain Donors- A madcap rehash of Marx Brothers style only with faster timing.  The "Swan Lake" scene literally put me on the floor in laughter. This little gem shows John Turturro at his absolute best.

martyo

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:22 pm »
Cannery Row
Off the Map