Films worth a 2nd look . .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Films worth a 2nd look . .
« Reply #80 on: 4 May 2009, 06:47 pm »
Hey Bob, 'what's happening'.  Been showing your "O face" lately?
:lol: It's been a while since I've seen the movie. I had to Google "O-Face". NOW I remember!  :thumb:
But to answer your question, uhh, yea. Daily as a matter of fact. With or without my wife.  :icon_twisted:  aa

Bob

honesthoff

« Reply #81 on: 4 May 2009, 07:30 pm »
"Three Days of the Condor"  Super scary Max von Sydow and great performances from Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, and Cliff Robertson.

Also, "Tender Mercies"  Love this flick, and Robert Duval's singing ain't too bad either.

mcgsxr

« Reply #82 on: 4 May 2009, 07:56 pm »
"Oh I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob"!

boead

« Reply #83 on: 4 May 2009, 08:13 pm »
I just loved Bambi Woods in her roll as Debbie. And her supporting cast; Misty Winter, Pat Allure and the insatiable Paula Head were to die for.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #84 on: 6 May 2009, 05:21 pm »
Insomnia.  Top shelf performances by Pacino and Williams and well written but the bright light for me is Hilary Swank fresh from her role in Boy's Don't Cry as a bright eager detective.  One ruinous flaw for me- in fact I thought the whole insomnia thing was superfluous- was that there were no drapes in Pacino's hotel room.  You got to be kiddin me.  Anyway, good story and great perfomances. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #85 on: 6 May 2009, 06:34 pm »

For those that enjoy car movies, and a good laugh, might I suggest 'Gumball Rally'. Pre-dates the silliness of the Cannon Ball Run series. Sweet  cars (who doesn't like Cobras ?), good fun, and was more in the spirit of the real Sea to Shining Sea rally (which of course 'never' really took place) on which all these movies were based from back in the mid to late 60's. Micheal Sarrazan, Pat O'Malley, an early Gary Busey, and numerous good character actors.

I'd also recommend Mr. Doug Adams classic BBC original of the 'HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy', for those who've only seen the remake. And if you haven't see the newer version it's well done too.

All in a lighter vein.

boead

mcgsxr

« Reply #87 on: 6 May 2009, 10:12 pm »
+1 on Gumball Rally - the first time I ever saw a Jackie Chan movie!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #88 on: 6 May 2009, 10:57 pm »
For those that enjoy car movies...................
Gone in 60 Seconds (the original).
Of course the new flick with Nicholas Cage is pretty cool too, but the old one is just plain neat.
Worth putting on the Netflix list.

Bob

ebag4

boead

jimdgoulding

« Reply #91 on: 6 Jun 2009, 06:56 am »
1941.  Steven Spielberg directing a cast of Saturday Night Live alum and about every character actor on the lot.  Nancy Allen, uhmmm, so naturally yummy.  Bout as silly as Mars Attacks which is fun, too.  The Russians Are Coming, also.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #92 on: 13 Jun 2009, 04:18 pm »
Ali G Indahouse.  Very funny.  Fight the power . . !

jimdgoulding

« Reply #93 on: 23 Jun 2009, 12:21 am »
The Friends of Eddie Coyle.  Robt Mitchum, Peter Boyle and an ensemble cast in a working class Boston crime drama.  Just released on DVD.   lt's ahead of its time (first released in the 70's) with nitty gritty realism.   Really excellent.  Directed by Peter Yates.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #94 on: 10 Aug 2009, 11:46 pm »
The Dancer Upstairs-  Directed by John Malkovich with Javier Bardem in the lead.  He plays an anti terrorist police captain in Equador (my best guess as it really never says) with an attraction for his daughter's ballet teacher.  And the plot doth thicken.  See this and you'll know why the Coen Brothers were so intent on getting him for No Country.  I mean this actor oozes cha-ris-ma.  And Malkovich gets a really fine performance from him.

funkmonkey

« Reply #95 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:43 am »
+1 on Gumball Rally - the first time I ever saw a Jackie Chan movie!
:o
not to nitpick or anything but wasn't Jackie chan in the 80's version of Gumball Rally...  better known as Cannonball Run???

Gumball Rally I saw, as a child at the drive-in theater in the back of my folks old Ford woody station-wagon in the mid 70's.  I haven't seen it since but would love to.  Very fond memories of that movie...   :thumb:

Another couple to add to the list (more in line with Animal House)

Ferris Beulers Day Off
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

both of those flicks I have seen a hundred times and never get sick of 'em

...and what's to "stomach" about subtitles?  Mongol was a great film, so was La Femme Nakita  subtitles or not they were amazing films.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #96 on: 11 Aug 2009, 03:58 am »
Even though the movie Devil in a Blue Dress is an adaptation of a great book, the movie still stands on its own. Just like James Ellroy's novel, L.A. Confidential.

Check out the other Adaptation That Doesn't Suck of a James Ellroy novel: Brown's Requiem.

The Limey: A great movie all the way around, and the DVD is an excellent video and audio reference disc.

Time Code. Because you can isolate the audio track(s), it's five movies in one (!).

And, Following. The movie Christopher Nolan wrote/directed before Memento. Because of the special DVD features, it's two movies in one (!)

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2014, 09:22 pm by Mike Nomad »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #97 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:38 am »

I see Nigel Tufnel is still as off-center after all these years. Here he explains Stonehenge for us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMofDWzfA6A&feature=fvw

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:55 pm »
And, Following. The movie Christopher Nolan wrote/directed before Memento.
Momento is one of my all time favorite movies. It's one of the few movies you can only watch once (unless you've got a bad memory). I'd love to have my memory of that movie erased so I could watch it again with a "virgin" memory.

Another fantastic movie I'd like to see again with a "virgin" mind is the Michael Douglas film "The Game".
Ohhh......One of my top five movies of all time.  aa Spectacular.

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #99 on: 30 Aug 2009, 10:38 pm »

Just finished watching "Easy Rider"... hadn't seen that in awhile....ahhhh.... :smoke: