Recommendations for 8 inch driver High Eff to 2000hz (?)

kyrill

Re: Recommendations for 6-8 inch driver High Eff to 2000hz (?)
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jan 2009, 05:52 pm »
That is going to be a bit difficult to do with hi-eff.  Its an outgrowth of Hoffman's iron law that small size (in this case driver size), hi-efficiency and low extention (100hz) can't all be achieved at the same time.

Josh, I have to respectfully disagree with your theory. In real life, I'm crossing my Lowther PM2As at 125 and getting mid-bass a plenty.

picture: http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=16556

Poll any of the GAS guys that have been by since I finished the OBs and they'll let you know they work. In fact, MeRev (Chris) is building an identical pair he likes the sound so much.

Kyrill, if you want real HiE, think about the Lowther PM2A or the PM6A. Not only will you get to 2K, you'll get out to almost 14k. Of all the Lowthers I've listened to over the years, these two models are their best offerings . No 'honk', no 'shout', plenty of detail and extension. When mounted in a baffle like I've constructed and in a room where they can breathe, they throw a monstrous soundstage. Not to mention, you can drive them with any amp you choose to buy from SE 45's on up. Be prepared though, these things aren't cheap nor are they fun to listen to until they get fully broken in (500 hours as a bare minimum and 2K hours they loose the last of their bite).

Hi Scott
I followed up yr suggestion and I inquired info from Lowther for OB applications and got this:
 Hi Kyrill

Our Technical Department suggest EX Drive Units will be better than DX Drive Units for this application.

Do take a look at our website for full details of the EX range of drive units, but, for your information, we can confirm as follows:

EX2 produces 97db
EX3 produces 98db
EX4 produces 99db

Please do come back to us should you require any further information or advice.

Best regards
Sarah Knight
Export Sales
Lowther Loudspeaker Systems Ltd
Our website is: www.lowtherloudspeakers.com

The Ex series ( not only their newest range but it seems to make a jump with regard to previous sounding qualities so much they offer upgrade options to former owners) is very promising but a step less expensive, but  maybe also less high end Q
i choose for the P.Audio SN-8MB series 2
I just ordered from India and i will keep you informed how they sound

Scott F.

Re: Recommendations for 8 inch driver High Eff to 2000hz (?)
« Reply #41 on: 10 Jan 2009, 07:28 pm »
Kyrill,
Cool. be sue to lets us know what your impressions of the PAudio.

panomaniac

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jan 2009, 08:22 pm »
Hey Kyrill

I'm interested in your test rig.  How were you running the Sabas?  You say 125 to 2KHz.  What did you use on the top and bottom?  Curious because my old Phillips FR8" drivers have much more resolution than many modern rigs I've heard.  Just like you were talking about being able to hear 2X voices instead of one, that sort of thing.

So it would be interesting to know how you used the Sabas.  I have some late 50s Grundig oval FR drivers that are pretty bad.
Very vintage sounding, midrange interesting, but that's about all.  :wink:  But I have not yet run them as midrange only, just full range, so maybe they just need help.

FWIW, the Eminence Beta 8 is a very good midrange driver, very clean.  Not very $$ either.  Can actually be used up to ~6KHz.

Thanks for your report on the SABA drivers.  Shoot me an email if you ever choose to sell them.

kyrill

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jan 2009, 08:44 pm »
Hi Pano MAn ;)

I use Gr-research servo woofers 12" for lows under 125 Hz ( tried the Saba as well from 200hz)
above 2khz  i use such airy sweet and transparent tweeters The Peerless 810921, 1inch  textile dome HDS tweeter
it has very low distortion and is 94 dB sensitivity
 I used modded Jadis tube amps ( extremely transparent, NO FB amps) for mids and highs
I use a DEQX digital preamp with build in Digital Xovers, with my 60 dollars kitchen speakers they make the sound like a "dream" DEQX is a wonderful transparent device when modded a bit  with the right output caps

I cannot  sell you  a pair as one of the driver has a micro torned_ part which i repaired with a small piece of paper

Lazz

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jan 2009, 12:18 am »
Just wondering about the back's on the new Lowther's they seem to be very closed in comparison to the pm' models.

kyrill

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jan 2009, 10:14 am »
yes the new line looks like that, but there is also a "sub line" with big holes in the back

panomaniac

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jan 2009, 05:51 pm »
Well that sounds like a great setup for the Sabas.  If they didn't do what you want in that setup, they probably never will.
Just not transperent enough, eh?  Too bad....

kyrill

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jan 2009, 06:11 pm »
I feel (very) excited Why?
well that is a problem, Intuitively which is not  a very scientific approach to facts on the ground
i expect in a way my next mid band drivers to be very cool

i have the green light for the Paudio 8 inch drivers series 2 to process my order coming Monday
very hard to get in Europe so i made direct contact with Thailand where they are made.
this is how they look

their specs are some posts above this one

panomaniac

« Reply #48 on: 18 Jan 2009, 07:28 pm »
Cool!  Please let us know how you like them.

I've used the P.Audio 18" coax and found it very good.  A friend has the 12" coax and likes them, too.
That 8" driver will be interesting to learn about.

Viridian

« Reply #49 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:35 am »
What an interesting thread. Good stuff here to learn from. Not sure if it makes much difference to the discussion but I was just looking at another thread by Magnetar in which he was using the Eminence Patriot Lil'Buddy 10" Guitar Speaker 8 Ohm http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-828&ctab=1#Tabs which is pretty much 99dB. Magnetar observed that tone and dynamics were pretty amazing. He paired them with B&C DE10 crossed at 2500Hz. At $75 each including shipping the lil'buddy looks pretty appealing. I've been trying to figure out how to get the dynamics/tone I want and these seem to be a good start. Other elements which would go to support would be the DE10 on top and then two per channel Eminence EMI 1550 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1768 which would use Graham Maynard's T-Bass circuit. Just a thought. I am going to try it.

Erik

kyrill

« Reply #50 on: 4 Feb 2009, 10:26 pm »
hehe

I got 2 "samples" from the factory which normally ships with containers (!)

they are shipped yesterday  so I hope to get them next week

kyrill

« Reply #51 on: 4 Feb 2009, 10:39 pm »
Cool!  Please let us know how you like them.

I've used the P.Audio 18" coax and found it very good.  A friend has the 12" coax and likes them, too.
That 8" driver will be interesting to learn about.

Danny from GR Research is very fond of the P.Audio BM12-CXA ( a 12 inch coax driver)

So i have high hopes of their top of the line series 2 with so many content owners of P.Audio

But i prefer the 8 inch for its weight 17 gram appr. relative to 63 gram of a 12 incher and 160 gram for an 18 incher. SO the servo woofers of 15 inch are heavy and relatively slow, for low bass no bigh deal
 i want the midrange if possible to be  fast and quick  with a minimum ( relatively) of overshoot and ringing

taloyd

« Reply #52 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:29 am »
Diaphragm mass has nothing to do with "speed" of a driver. This is a classic misconception...

But the traits you're looking for are usually present in a high-efficiency driver. Most high-efficiency drivers have both a substantial motor and a minimal moving mass in order to achieve a better conversion of electrical to acoustical power. But in this case, the differing masses of the drivers has nothing to do with perceived anything...

This explains the theory behind it:
http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/WooferSpeed.pdf

Hope this helps,
-tal

oracle309

« Reply #53 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:26 am »
"But i prefer the 8 inch for its weight 17 gram appr. relative to 63 gram of a 12 incher and 160 gram for an 18 incher. SO the servo woofers of 15 inch are heavy and relatively slow, for low bass no bigh deal
 i want the midrange if possible to be  fast and quick  with a minimum ( relatively) of overshoot and ringing"

Ok, so a little math.

for 2 8" drivers: 2X(π X r²) = 2X(4² X π) =32π
for one 10" : π X r² = 5² X π =25π
for one 12" : π X r²= 6² X π =36π
for one 18":  π X r²= 9² X π =81π

what this says is that a pair of 8" drivers will have a larger radiating surface than a single 10, but not quite as much as a single 12". If you mount them in series, you will loose 3dB efficiency, but if they are mounted as close together as possible on the baffle (without touching) then you will get a 3 dB gain. Net gain and loss=0 .

However efficiency does not equal sensitivity.

"Briefly, sensitivity describes how loudly a speaker will play given a certain voltage; efficiency describes how well the loudspeaker converts electrical power into acoustical power. In other words, efficiency is how easy it is or isn't for an amp to develop and maintain that voltage across the speaker, as a load. Sensitivity is measured in decibels relative to a given voltage and measuring distance (typically 2.83V and 1m, respectively), and efficiency can be assessed by looking, not only at sensitivity but also at a speaker's nominal impedance, in ohms. Efficiency can therefore be gleaned from a graph that plots a speaker's impedance, in ohms, vs frequency, in hertz. " ---Art Dudley review of the Horne Shoppe Horn online at Stereophile.com

It has been my personal experience that 2 smaller drivers sound "faster" than one larger one, and mass does have something to do with it---It is a statement of sensitivity, not efficiency. And controlling the smaller mass of 2 8" drivers is easier that controlling the mass of say a single 12 inch driver. Of course this is assuming that the drivers themselves will sound good with an amp with reasonable dampening factor. If the dampening factor is too great , fullrangers can fall on their face, if not enough they can sound sloppy in the bass.

kyrill

« Reply #54 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:31 am »
Realizing my very basic thinking on a complex field of driver design

have read it but I have a few questions
the eq. is F=m.a
F is force
m is mass and
a is the acceleration of that mass. OK

conclusion A Looking alone at this eq. we see that for instance if you double the mass ( m2) you have to double the force
in order to have for m2 the same acceleration as the original m, no choice you have to do it

Now the article replaces F with electrical power and explains that the i (current) plays a major role. Of course
F =the motor force factor (BL) times the current (i)    (motor force of the driver is mainly its magnet ) strength
so the eq. becomes
BL.i=ma

Then it states that the motor force ( depending on the fixed magnet and other fixed variables) does not change in time as it is fixed. OK
It states the same for the mass that needs to be accelerated ( mostly the cone of the driver)  the mass of the cone does not change either so its constant OK

SO the only changing variables are the i ( current) and  a ( acceleration ) Ok
but then the formula is changed into
BL is C ( C of constant) and m = C ( of constant) and it becomes
Ci = Ca 
I have problem with this.
it suggests with the same C that force and mass are of the same order, elements of the same collection and equal which they are not. this is even more suggested in the next eq it becomes
 i::a              mass is outside the eq. ! ?
it states i and a are proportional to each other  Of course but not only . the a is coupled to the mass too. In its own way the a is proportional to the mass too.
but how does this change the original conclusion A? If we speak of two identical drivers same BL,same electrical current thru the same voice coil but one has a heavier cone?
May it means if we double the mass ( a bigger driver) we must double in a way BL or lower the inductance of the coil so more current goes into the equation

The conclusion of the rapport is however: There's a common misconception out there that heavy woofers must be "slow", and light woofers must be "fast". 
Well of course not  if the designer is being true to F=ma and "compensates" with  bigger motorforce or lower inductance of the coil or designs a bigger coil ( picks up more magnetic field) with the danger of higher inductance

But the heavier a cone becomes the more force the magnet must have on the coil. But what if the lower mass driver has  a very strong neomydium magnet already and a voice coil with minimum inductance? Now it becomes very difficult for the designer ( not impossible to a certain extent) Enlarge the voice coil, much stronger ( and therefore very expensive) magnet and so on. Manufacturers  normally dont do this it is too expensive to do it perfect
an example of P.audio series 2
                        8 inch                                                  15 inch
moving mass       17 gram                                                80 gram
BL                     9.5 Tm                                                 16.2 Tm
coil inductance    0.29 mH                                                0.35 mH
voice coil diam     2 inch                                                  3 inch

Will the 15 inch  fully compensate for the higher mass?
the mass is almost 5x heavier (4.7) the BL "only" 1.7x, so more variables need to be changed
inductance? is even worse. So it needs a  bigger voice coil
3 inch has a 2.25 more surface (piR2) than 2 inch
in a cilinder it will be even more. So a bigger voice coil definitely helps
a bigger voice coil picks up proportionally more magnetic strength but it is a very expensive solution the whole structure becomes bigger too
their 18 inch driver has the same voice coil , inductance and BL as the 15 inch and moving mass is almost 2x heavier

So in general i still believe the heavier the moving mass of the drivers the slower they  with more ringing because of economic reasons

oracle309

Kyrill, the article is overly simplfied...
« Reply #55 on: 5 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm »
transients really relate to how fast something changes. And that is based on mass. Given a constant force acting on a mass (m1) vs acting on a mass , m2 (and I'll define m2:=1/2m), then the ability to overcome Inertia (not a force) is greatly increase---it will react twice as fast, everything else being equal.

from Wikipedia:  the greater its mass, the less a body accelerates under given force. Masses m defined by the formula (1) and (2) are equal because the formula (2) is a consequence of the formula (1) if mass does not depend on time and speed. Thus, "mass is the quantitative or numerical measure of body’s inertia, that is of its resistance to being accelerated".

This meaning of a body's inertia therefore is altered from the original meaning as "a tendency to maintain momentum" to a description of the measure of how difficult it is to change the momentum of a body.

I also think the article is erroneous replacing Force with electrical power. It should replace Force with F(el), Electrical Force.
Force and Power do not have the same units, and therefore they cannot be "the same" or allow a simple replacement or exchange

The constants noted, "C" are not the same and it is against convention to use "c" as a constant (well c is a constant, but usually reserved for the speed of light). I'll re-read the whole paper again, but I think it is so full of holes one not ought to dwell on it at all. The writer (perhaps) needs to go back to 1st year physics and begin again using proper definitions and nomenclature.

kyrill

Re: Kyrill, the article is overly simplfied...
« Reply #56 on: 5 Feb 2009, 12:18 pm »
transients really relate to how fast something changes. And that is based on mass. Given a constant force acting on a mass (m1) vs acting on a mass , m2 (and I'll define m2:=1/2m), then the ability to overcome Inertia (not a force) is greatly increase---................
t at all. The writer (perhaps) needs to go back to 1st year physics and begin again using proper definitions and nomenclature.

yep ;) probably
but wrong nomenclature does not falter right logic
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2009, 03:30 pm by kyrill »

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
Re: Kyrill, the article is overly simplfied...
« Reply #57 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:21 pm »
The writer (perhaps) needs to go back to 1st year physics and begin again using proper definitions and nomenclature.

I cannot believe you wrote that, are you really serious? I assume you have the math and physics background to provide a technically defendable derivation of your understanding, I mean equations and solutions not handwaving and words. Are either of you two engineers with significant knowledge of system dynamics / vibration theory and employed in that field?

Magnetar

« Reply #58 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:33 am »
I have to say without a doubt I prefer several tens (like 10 or more) over the same amount of 15's from the middle bass through the low midrange - faster, tighter, more powerful sounding ect, ect, ect......-  :drool: Most eights to me never really got my groove, maybe I never used enough of them

"But i prefer the 8 inch for its weight 17 gram appr. relative to 63 gram of a 12 incher and 160 gram for an 18 incher. SO the servo woofers of 15 inch are heavy and relatively slow, for low bass no bigh deal
 i want the midrange if possible to be  fast and quick  with a minimum ( relatively) of overshoot and ringing"

Ok, so a little math.

for 2 8" drivers: 2X(π X r²) = 2X(4² X π) =32π
for one 10" : π X r² = 5² X π =25π
for one 12" : π X r²= 6² X π =36π
for one 18":  π X r²= 9² X π =81π

what this says is that a pair of 8" drivers will have a larger radiating surface than a single 10, but not quite as much as a single 12". If you mount them in series, you will loose 3dB efficiency, but if they are mounted as close together as possible on the baffle (without touching) then you will get a 3 dB gain. Net gain and loss=0 .

However efficiency does not equal sensitivity.

"Briefly, sensitivity describes how loudly a speaker will play given a certain voltage; efficiency describes how well the loudspeaker converts electrical power into acoustical power. In other words, efficiency is how easy it is or isn't for an amp to develop and maintain that voltage across the speaker, as a load. Sensitivity is measured in decibels relative to a given voltage and measuring distance (typically 2.83V and 1m, respectively), and efficiency can be assessed by looking, not only at sensitivity but also at a speaker's nominal impedance, in ohms. Efficiency can therefore be gleaned from a graph that plots a speaker's impedance, in ohms, vs frequency, in hertz. " ---Art Dudley review of the Horne Shoppe Horn online at Stereophile.com

It has been my personal experience that 2 smaller drivers sound "faster" than one larger one, and mass does have something to do with it---It is a statement of sensitivity, not efficiency. And controlling the smaller mass of 2 8" drivers is easier that controlling the mass of say a single 12 inch driver. Of course this is assuming that the drivers themselves will sound good with an amp with reasonable dampening factor. If the dampening factor is too great , fullrangers can fall on their face, if not enough they can sound sloppy in the bass.

panomaniac

« Reply #59 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:48 am »
But i prefer the 8 inch for its weight 17 gram appr. relative to 63 gram of a 12 incher and 160 gram for an 18 incher.

I would have, too. Before I heard that 18.  Very, very few speakers out there that are more dynamic.  No trace of overshoot or ringing that I could hear.  I would not have believed it of an 18, if I had not heard it.