Recommendations for 8 inch driver High Eff to 2000hz (?)

kyrill

I found out, as predicted by some, that the 6" Focal audiom mid range is not suitable to upper bass. It stops at 210 hz and does not like to be EQ. It will certainly not reach 100 Hz at all.

I do not want to use the Servo woofers to 200 hz they reach 80-90 hz  flat and start to roll of at 6dB/oct in my real listening room

SO i am looking for 

1) an OB designed midbass woofer/mid
2) fast impulse response time that is also quickly dampened so it integrates really well with a tweeter Something like this:

3) paper cone or hemp cone
4) reasonably priced, what is reasonable? The Phy-hp is over 600 €  a piece ...which is too expensive for me.
5) Sensitivity 90 db or more

A full range OB driver ( with build in tweeter) will do as well only i still will use my servo woofers and Peerless HDS tweeter. The HDS driven by a SET like tube sounds so sweet and detailed and airy .. I cannot part from it anymore. So condition 2) is still important for me. A double cone driver like Paudio:
i do not prefer as i will not use its tweeter

I do follow the thread recommendations for "No expense spared open baffle?"and "10inch driver High Eff/smooth FR/fo to 1200hz"  but i need it for 100Hz-2000Hz so 8 inch would be probably better (?)  if i accept the smaller the driver the lower its mass
WHat would be applicable choices?

IN the mean time i found this a 6 inch midbass driver with low measured harmonic distortion above 100 hz
Specifications:
Power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max
*VCdia: 1-1/2"
*Impedance: 4 ohms
*Re: 3.4 ohms
*Frequency range: 40-5,000 Hz
*Fs: 40 Hz
*SPL: 88 dB 1W/1m
*Vas: 1.04 cu. ft.
*Qms: 3.58
*Qes: .49
*Qts: .43
*Xmax: 8 mm
*Dimensions: A: 6.95", B: 5.8", C: 4.3".

from Zaphaudio.com

But is usable in an OB setup starting above at 100 Hz?
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2009, 11:02 am by kyrill »

panomaniac

i do not prefer as i will not use its tweeter

Some of the P.Audio coax tweeters are very good indeed.

But is usable in an OB setup starting above at 100 Hz?
Without EQ?  Not unless you have a BIG baffle.  But that's true of most drivers.

If you want a TB driver for ~100Hz up the the tweeter, you might try the W6-789.  It will play high - and low enough.  Nice sounding driver if that's the sort of thing you are looking for.

kyrill

Re: Recommendations for 6-8 inch driver High Eff to 2000hz (?)
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:31 pm »
i have bought on Ebay the following drivers:

SABA 20 cm greencone "OB" drivers

I didn't really need the tweeters but they were one buy. The Alnico magnet tweeters though, do fire backwards, so for OB , interesting...

I got the tip from a website to use them but helas  :oops:,  i forgot to bookmark it.

If these will not sound satisfactory i will "jump" to Danny's ( Gr-Research) Paudio OB "discovery"

markC

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2008, 07:56 pm »
What about the good ol' Visaton B200's?

kyrill

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:05 pm »
wrong

painkiller

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:07 pm »
The 13cm greencone tweeter rolls off quickly at 16kHz, it has a very uneven frequency response and it distorts quite a lot. I would rather recommend a nice 1" compression driver with a horn/waveguide if you need a tweeter. Even if it's not a dipole like the saba.

kyrill

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:08 pm »
The 13cm greencone tweeter rolls off quickly at 16kHz, it has a very uneven frequency response and it distorts quite a lot. I would rather recommend a nice 1" compression driver with a horn/waveguide if you need a tweeter. Even if it's not a dipole like the saba.

ah ja :)

I only want to use the 20 cm SABA between 100 hz and 2 khz  and no use (yet) for the tweeters

markC

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2008, 08:16 pm »
What is wrong about the B200 from 100-2k Hz.?

panomaniac

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2008, 09:18 pm »
Hi Kyrill  Nice looking drivers!

Go to the Lampizator site for tips on how to use them.  It's easy.
http://www.lampizator.eu/SPEAKERS/PROJECTS/P17/Endorphine%20from%20Kingston%20Kitchen.html
http://www.lampizator.eu/NIRVANA/nirvana.html

Please let us know how it works out. =)

kyrill

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2008, 11:13 pm »
What is wrong about the B200 from 100-2k Hz.?
Probably nothing

But i am not familiar with these drivers, didn't remember them
but did remember the very enthusiastic story of the site i forgot to bookmark ;)

lol
Panomainiac "found" my lost web site, yes that is the one I read
but i see a warning
the Saba greencone must be an alnico midbass, the ones i just bought didn't mention the alnico..
So i wonder if 20cm Saba greencone NON alnico do exist..?

Ah another name for Tigges + Alnico is Permadyne, (?) and I bought  the Permadyne variant..
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2008, 09:15 am by kyrill »

panomaniac

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2008, 03:13 am »
Permadyne?  That's a new on for me....

I hope you have fun with those drivers.  If you don't like them, you can send them to me for proper disposal.  :thumb:

painkiller

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2008, 06:56 am »
You should really take Mr. Fikus' advice with a (huge) pinch of salt. His preferences in hifi is not exactly the norm. He is very enthusiastic though and constantly uses big words when he's talking about audio. I believe that copying his ideas would be a dead end.

ttan98

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2008, 08:07 am »
You should really take Mr. Fikus' advice with a (huge) pinch of salt. His preferences in hifi is not exactly the norm. He is very enthusiastic though and constantly uses big words when he's talking about audio. I believe that copying his ideas would be a dead end.

Fikus loves to use old drivers, and they will produce an "old" kind of sound, ie lack of pure dynamics, and higher distortions, on some kind of music like women vocals they are pretty hard to beat. On complex music like rock and metallica, the modern drivers are more suitable.

I am using an old alnico 10" driver it sounds pretty good to me, I have also used modern drivers they do sound different. I listen to mainly vocals and general pop.

kyrill

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:16 am »
does the strength of the magnets of these golden oldies, not deteriorate after all these years?

kyrill

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2008, 10:53 am »

Fikus loves to use old drivers, and they will produce an "old" kind of sound, ie lack of pure dynamics, and higher distortions, on some kind of music like women vocals they are pretty hard to beat. On complex music like rock and metallica, the modern drivers are more suitable.

I am using an old alnico 10" driver it sounds pretty good to me, I have also used modern drivers they do sound different. I listen to mainly vocals and general pop.
hmmm...

JoshK

kyrill

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2008, 06:38 pm »
wow Josh they look cute.. have not read the rest yet
 i know you are also thinking OB for yr superb self made amp

what low bass mid do you have in mind?

:)
Kyrill

OK impedance rise fast under 200 hz 40R at 100 hz...
qts  is .23
Vas 10.7 L
and designed to be in a box
Josh is this driver compatible with OB design?

pufff

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2008, 07:40 pm »
I like the  Sabas. I bought a pair some years ago, and never listened to my Lowthers PM6a since.
There are different kinds of Saba, and off course they are not everybodys taste.

http://home.arcor.de/pfaue/klangkue/gruenwunder/galerie/galerie.htm

http://de.geocities.com/peter_rehkop/system.html

http://methe-family.de/sabacello.htm

kyrill

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2008, 07:45 pm »
thx for the links
i asked my E seller if the greencones i bought were Alnico and he reponded

"Helo Kyrill,

the greencones from the '50 years are always with  alnico magnetics, the
Tigges Factory was famous....

regards
Wolfgang"

pufff

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2008, 08:03 pm »
thx for the links
i asked my E seller if the greencones i bought were Alnico and he reponded

"Helo Kyrill,

the greencones from the '50 years are always with  alnico magnetics, the
Tigges Factory was famous....

regards
Wolfgang"

Hmm, not quite. Around 1957 they made a switch to ferrit magnets. If you have the Tigges version it is probably from around 1953 to 1955. Later there where no name on the magnet maker, but still a alnico version.