Latest movie you've picked up...

jermmd

« Reply #120 on: 7 Jun 2006, 12:57 pm »
I recieved a blockbuster card for 40 free movies when I bought my Panny projector. My most recent movies were Underworld Revolution (not a great movie but good effects and plenty of violence-I enjoyed it) and The Absented Minded Professor (a classic from Disney).

The Blockbuster card originally had an expiration date of June so I only had 3 months to use up the 40 free movies. What I do is burn the movie onto my hard drive and watch it at my leisure. That way I'm not under pressure to watch movies every couple of days.

PhilNYC

« Reply #121 on: 7 Jun 2006, 01:22 pm »
I joined Netflix, which all-but-stopped my DVD-buying.  High Def cable and VOD also contributed to the reduction in buying DVDs, as did the coming of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

rosconey

« Reply #122 on: 7 Jun 2006, 01:30 pm »
grandmas boy-might go down as one of the best stoner flics of all time :smoke:

and the new underworld-evolution-good effects not much more

mcrespo71

« Reply #123 on: 7 Jun 2006, 06:57 pm »
I'm not buying any new movies on DVD.  I don't want to have to rebuy stuff when the new formats come out.

Woodsea

« Reply #124 on: 8 Jun 2006, 01:12 am »
That is really smart.  My 2500 Tugrug buys are rental fees in the USA.  I tried to watch evolution last night, but my copies sound was atrocious.  That is the chance I take.  Their is a guy here that buys 'real' DVD's so I will borrow his copy.  What I saw in the first 10 minutes was alot of CG, and the usual goth medieval stuff.  As long as it doesn't get to deep, I am going to enjoy the flick.

bubba966

« Reply #125 on: 8 Jun 2006, 03:10 am »
Quote from: rosconey
grandmas boy-might go down as one of the best stoner flics of all time :smoke:

Grandma's Boy is great. I had to pick that one up as it was hilarious in the theaters (I saw it a couple of times).

bubba966

Re: Latest movie you've picked up...
« Reply #126 on: 2 Aug 2006, 04:49 am »
Picked up the 2 disc V for Vendetta today.

Shoulda picked it up last week. But I forgot to... :oops:

topround

« Reply #127 on: 2 Aug 2006, 10:08 am »
Just picked up V for Vendetta as well.
Great Movie, Must See!

bubba966

« Reply #128 on: 20 Aug 2006, 06:21 pm »
Just got back from BB and picked up a couple new discs on their 2/$20 sale. Got Clerks (10th Anniversary Edition), Red Eye, The Weather Man, and The Ice Harvest.

And will be picking up Silent Hill on Tuesday.

Soundbitten

« Reply #129 on: 20 Aug 2006, 11:31 pm »
Junebug

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #130 on: 9 Sep 2006, 08:35 am »

Have you seen it?  I missed it in the theater; I wish my luck would've held out when the DVD came out. :lol:  Not awful, but not worth actually buying IMO (having bought it).

bubba966

« Reply #131 on: 9 Sep 2006, 03:23 pm »

Have you seen it?  I missed it in the theater; I wish my luck would've held out when the DVD came out. :lol:  Not awful, but not worth actually buying IMO (having bought it).

Yeah, I saw it in theaters before I bought it on disc.

I didn't think it was great. But the BB price on it was cheap enough for me to pick it up. And the extras alone were almost worth it. I hadn't realized they'd gone to such trouble to make that movie look how it did. Was cool seeing all of that. And I've yet to even throw in the BB exclusive bonus disc to see what it has on it...

bubba966

« Reply #132 on: 9 Sep 2006, 10:02 pm »
This week I picked up District B13, Lost Season 1, & Lost Season 2.

I'm hoping Lost doesn't suck. But I liked Alias, and haven't heard anyone say that Lost was bad yet. So I'm gonna guess that I didn't just waste my $ buying those before I ever saw an episode.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #133 on: 10 Sep 2006, 09:55 pm »
Season "2.5" of BSG is coming out pretty soon, I'll probably buy that.  There's a new-ish sci fi series I saw in the store with Brent Spiner and (I think) Carla Gugino that looked interesting that's already in the store- probably will give that a try.

The last DVDs I've bought:

Mirrormask
The Magnificent Seven
Pale Rider
Iron Giant
Closer
The Fog
The Dark
Equilibrium
American Psycho
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2006, 06:18 pm by bubba966 »

bubba966

« Reply #134 on: 17 Sep 2006, 06:23 pm »
Good to see you finally picked up Equilibrium Rob. What took you soooo long? :scratch:

And I'm guessing that The Fog was the new version? If so, any good?

So I'll say that Lost doesn't suck. Glad I picked it up. I'm finished watching Season 1 & am 3/4ths of the way through Season 2. It's been kinda non-stop Lost fest around here since last weekend...  :lol:

So just came back from BB for this week's 2/$20 specials and picked up

Hoodwinked
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Wedding Crashers
Flightplan

Haven't seen two of them at all before. But they can't be so bad that they're not worth $10...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #135 on: 17 Sep 2006, 09:52 pm »
Good to see you finally picked up Equilibrium Rob. What took you soooo long? :scratch:

And I'm guessing that The Fog was the new version? If so, any good?

I was waiting for a good/cheap deal.  And you know the sad thing?  When I went to put in away on my DVD rack, I already had it! :oops:  I don't have any idea how long I had it without remembering it, but once I finally watched it I thought it was terrific. :)

Yes, The Fog is the new verison and no, it isn't any good.  It had a few things going for it vs your typical teen slasher flick- the effects were pretty good, the acting was a bit better than average with a strong cast, especially Selma Blair, but with the exception of Tom Welling.  I think he's a well known actor but he isn't very good here.  Could be that he was miscast or just that his role was poortly written- writing is not the strong suit.  Overall, I didn't shake my fist at the Heavens and demand my two hours back.  So it wasn't a complete waste of money.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #136 on: 17 Sep 2006, 09:54 pm »
My latest pickup was Season 6 of Star Trek TNG.  Seasons 5,6 & 7 finally came out at the lower $55 price.  As I had sold the 6th season a couple years ago while I was out of work, I'd been waiting for this for some time.  Now my collection is complete again. 

On the SciFi front, it shouldn't be too long til season 2.5 of BSG is out.

And yes, I did pass on the un-special edition Star Wars DVDs. :finger:

Scott F.

« Reply #137 on: 17 Sep 2006, 10:28 pm »
When I was at BB picking up the new Metheny Meldau CD along with a few others I grabbed a couple of movies. They had The Naked Gun (1) for $5 so I couldn't pass that one up. I also grabbed Heartbreak Ridge. Not great but a good popcorn movie.

The last one that I picked up was a boxed set that I assume was produced for PBS. Its cronicals a road trip from Chicago to LA on Route 66. Its filmed in Hi-Def. Since our house is less than a home run away from one of the original strips of Route 66 in Pacific Missouri, it holds some nostalgic fasination for us. Its pretty well done with plenty of interesting stops along the way. Kinda fun for $15 bucks (at BB).

http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-Marathon-Tour-Chicago/dp/B000CCZR86/sr=1-3/qid=1158531712/ref=sr_1_3/102-2830411-2960968?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

bubba966

« Reply #138 on: 26 Sep 2006, 11:59 pm »
I picked up Tokyo Drift today. Should get off my ass and throw it in the player...
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2006, 01:01 am by bubba966 »

PeteG

« Reply #139 on: 27 Sep 2006, 12:04 am »
I picked up Tokyo Drift today. Should get off my ass and thorw it in the player...

Same here. HDDVD  :green: