Latest movie you've picked up...

bubba966

« on: 8 Oct 2003, 01:49 am »
Well, today's trip to BB ended up with me leaving with only 2 DVD's this time.

I picked up The Italian Job (2003 version) & the new edition of Christmas Vacation.

I woulda picked up the new 2 disc set of A Christmas Story as well. But they wanted their standard price for it ($20), so I figured I'd pick it up later when it goes on sale or drops in price. It's not like I don't already own a copy on DVD anyways... :wink:

But 2 days from now I should be able to pick up my copy of Reloaded... :mrgreen: :rock:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2003, 01:53 am »
I got The Italian Job, too (anything w/Charlize Thereon...).  The second one was The Lion King.  It's definately in my top 10 animated movies, and I figured if I didn't buy it on sale for $16 today, the next time I went in it'd be $20.

I bought another DVD, but it was a DVD-A disc:  Led Zep's How The West Was Won".  Haven't listened to it yet, but I will tonite!

Sa-dono

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2003, 05:38 am »
I ended up getting the Lion King since I got it for $5. I'll pick up A Christmas Story and the Italian Job eventually. The Italian Job is tempting though, mainly because of Charlize Theron (get the spelling right Rob :P)..although I'll most likely just rent it until I can pick it up for cheap. So far I rented Hollywood Homicide. Is it as bad as I figure? :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:47 pm »
I ended up buying "Irreversible" the foreign film dealing with rape and violence.  I generally don't buy movies unless they're concerts that can be watched repeatedly, but the fact that no-one in town had this available for rent made purchase the only way to see the movie (it was $20). Ebert & Roeper had reviewed it quite highly, but had warned about its violence and sex. It's letter-boxed and subtitled; like "Memento" the movie shows the end first, then successive scenes are what happened before that caused what you've just seen.

It really calls into question why one goes to the movies or watches videos or DVD's at home---this is one disturbing movie to watch (that's the whole point since it's in part depicting a disturbing situation and its consequences). The camera shots move in and out in a disorienting flurry of images, accompanied by a droning soundtrack.

Unfortunately, this isn't a movie to watch again and again (I'm still trying to decide if it's worth watching ONCE.)  I really wish it had been available for rental.  In some ways, it reminds me of Nicholas Cage's "Leaving Las Vegas"-- so depressing that it's hard to watch once, nearly impossible to watch twice.

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2003, 05:46 pm »
Just got back from BB.

Picked up the Indy trilogy there as they had an exclusive "5th bonus disc" packed in with their copies.

Also picked up Charlies Angels: Full Throttle. Which was just inserted in the player...

bob82274

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2003, 09:43 pm »
Indy is the only thing on my plate this week.  Probably the only thing for a couple of weeks.  I hate being on a small budget. :evil:

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2003, 04:20 am »
Just picked up T3 tonight.

:thumb: :thumb:

It'll be giving your subs a workout for sure! Picture looks pretty good too. Though I've really only watched the car chase so far.

I wouldn't have minded picking up Nemo this week. But budget unfortunately is kinda limiting me to just getting T3 this week. :(

Dean

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2003, 10:26 am »
Picked up The Animatrix (R2), seems pretty good so far...

bob82274

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2003, 02:00 pm »
Well I would have picked up TTT extended edition this week like bubba, but at the same time I don't want to know how he got his :wink:.

So while I wait like the rest of the world, I picked up Wasabi.  It stars Jean Reno and is a Luc Besson film.  Basically a French cop ends up in Japan and comedy ensues.  Seeing Jean Reno playing Dance Dance revolution is quite entertaining.  The biggest problem with the film for some is that it is in French.  I personally think that its a beautiful language even if its speakers arn't always amicable.

Highly Recommended.

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2003, 02:45 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
I ended up buying "Irreversible" the foreign film dealing with rape and violence.  I generally don't buy movies unless they're concerts that can be watched repeatedly, but the fact that no-one in town had this available for rent made purchase the only way to see the movie (it was $20). Ebert & Roeper had reviewed it quite highly, but had warned about its violence and sex. It's letter-boxed and subtitled; like "Memento" the movie shows the end first, then successive scenes are what happened before that cause ...

I think this is the sad state many movies are in these days.  In order to be "marketable" movies only get big budgets if the story is:
A. Full of sex
B. Full of sex and violence
C. Full of really disturbing sex and violence
D. Full of a really liberal obvious message and has sex
E. Has a very simple story and is easy to follow
F. Relies heavily on effects to make a dull story visually entertaining
G. Most importantly: focus on the process instead of the plot

These 'rules' for making movies apply to 90% of what I've seen lately.  I've seen a LOT of 2 star movies with the occasional 3.  There are a few light-hearted movies that I've enjoyed (Pirates of the Carribean, etc.) that are entertaining  but, not particularly clever.  

The common thread with all movies I've seen lately is that the story isn't really interesting... so, they focus on the process.  The actors have to act out all the minutia 'with sexy results' (quoting Homer S.)... I'm really ready for some movies that don't rely on the old formulas.... I'm ready for higher-level entertainment.  I wish they had a rating system for how 'easy to understand' the movie would be.

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:28 am »
Well last week I picked up a few new discs.

Picked up Pirates of the Caribbean last Tuesday. Two thumbs up on that one. Quality movie, excellent transfer, and sounds good too.

Then on Friday I picked up Wall Street, My Cousin Vinny & Men of Honor for $5 each at BB along with The Simpsons Season 1 which was $11.99.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:29 am »
Quote from: bob82274
So while I wait like the rest of the world, I picked up Wasabi.  It stars Jean Reno and is a Luc Besson film.  Basically a French cop ends up in Japan and comedy ensues.  Seeing Jean Reno playing Dance Dance revolution is quite entertaining.  The biggest problem with the film for some is that it is in French.  I personally think that its a beautiful language even if its speakers arn't always amicable.

Highly Recommended.

I picked up Wasabi quite some time back. And while I enjoyed it quite a bit I don't think I'd recommend it to everyone. It's got a heavy dose of French humor that not everyone gets/enjoys. It reminds me a lot of the Taxi films Besson has done. Same style of humor.

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2003, 10:54 am »
This week's trip to BB gained me Bad Boys II & Finding Nemo.

Though I wasn't able to watch them until now as I was in the middle of modding my DVDP. :evil:

But I'm finally done modding it, and it's all good. So I'll be watching a disc or two later today as it's been almost a week & a half with no DVDP.

PeteG

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2003, 04:39 pm »
I was very happy with Finding Nemo, great pic/sound & good story.

I also picked up Badboys II but haven't watched it yet.

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:30 am »
Pirates rocked. The sound was great!
If you guys want to get something VERY special get Hero with Jet Li.
You won't find it at Blockbuster , but if you liked T3 wait 'til you get Jet Li!!!

IanATC

latest
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2004, 08:22 pm »
I got a boatload for Christmas:

Indiana jones trilogy:  Just the extras took Hours to watch.  Crackling good stories, outstanding characters and pace. Larger than life hero. This is optimum entertainment.  Superb soundtrack.

Finding Nemo:  So far, the ultimate animation in the history of recorded time.  This is one of the top 2 of 2003.

Hulk:  Not quite what I hoped for, but some "smashing"  moments.

X2:  awesome extras.  Kick arse movie!  I can't wait foir X3!!!

Alien quadrilogy: ok. so #1 and #2 are ultimate sci fi /horror  classics.  # 3 and #4, well, at least they were free...

HarleyMYK

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2004, 11:54 pm »
I don't buy many DVDs, but I did buy POTC.  Recently rented Whale Riders and Bend it Like Bekham, both of which I would rate as great family entertainment (some lesbian discussion in BILB).

bubba966

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2004, 03:40 am »
Now that I'm working againg, I can afford to buy more movies. :mrgreen:

Picked up The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane today. Haven't seen it since I was a little kid, but I liked it a lot back then (hopefully I still do...).

Picked up Cabin Fever & The Animal "Uncut". Cabin Fever wasn't bad. Some very nice T&A. :mrgreen:

Didn't pay too much attention to the Animal when I was watching it (was doing other things at the time), and so far the "uncut" portion that I noticed was lame. :x

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2004, 03:44 am »
I recently watched Ford Fairlane- I hadn't seen it in many years, but it still holds up well.  Unfortunately I saw the Animal in the theater- it wasn't godawful or anything, but not a tenth as funny as "Duece Bigolo."  That one is wet-your-pants hilarious.

htjunkie

Training Day
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2004, 03:53 pm »
Went out and found a few good deals. Picked up Training Day, Stir of Echos, Gladiator and Princess Diaries for 5 bucks each. Not to bad.  :hyper: