Latest movie you've picked up...

bubba966

« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2004, 04:37 pm »
Is no one picking up any new discs lately? :scratch:

Last night I had to stop by BB and pick something up. So I grabbed The Rundown, Knockaround Guys, Malibu's Most Wanted, & The Life Of David Gale.

bob82274

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2004, 06:12 pm »
I know I'v been on haitus for the time being.  But in the next few weeks there will be some movies i'll be picking up.  Matrix Revolutions and Kill Bill vol 1 will be coming out.  But those are the only ones on the plate.  Unfortunatly for my movie and music collection I'm saving some pennies for a trip overseas this fall.  Destination hasn't been decided yet and they will play a part in how much money goes to this hobby.

As for movies at the cinema, I just saw Dawn of the Dead.  I went to the 10 oclock show on monday and I liked the group of people in there.  We were all the type that would laugh everytime someone would die.  I particularly liked the one where the guy gets creamed by the ambulance.  I realize that some people go to these movies to get scared but i just find them funny in a dark and twisted way.

bubba966

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2004, 05:50 am »
Quote from: bob82274
But in the next few weeks there will be some movies i'll be picking up.  Matrix Revolutions and Kill Bill vol 1 will be coming out.

I plan on picking up Revolutions next week. And just put in the order for the Japanese release of Kill Bill Vol. 1 this morning (and ordered a copy for another AC'er as well since I'm very used to importing DVD's... :wink:  :lol: ).

Other than that I'm not sure of anything in particular that I'm looking for. But I've not been keeping up on my DVD info as I should lately as my new job has me focusing on LD's & not DVD's...

bubba966

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2004, 04:04 am »
Had forgotten that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was coming out. So I picked that up today.

Kinda spendy, but at least the packaging is pretty cool. Don't know what use the "metal faceplate" is, other than to make it cost more. And I do wish the "evidence file" wasn't sealed.

Guess I need to hook my system back up and see how it looks/sounds... :roll:

bubba966

« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2004, 05:06 am »
Texas Chainsaw looks exceptional. If only all regular release discs could look like that...

Picked up The Matrix Revolutions tonight.

Picture is a bit soft on it. :( Sound seems ok, needs to be cranked up a bit more than most discs. Seriously wish that a "standard" volume level could be implemented.

Will watch all of Revolutions tomorrow night, so I can go more in depth about it later.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 2 Apr 2004, 03:41 pm »
Bubba966,

I keep forgetting to ask you how you get the dvd's before they are released?

Below is what I bought for the week (want to guess which are mine and which are my little guy's?):

Something's Gotta Give
CSI Season 3
Wiggles - Toot Toot
Wiggles - Cold Spaghetti Western
Thomas The Train

George

gongos

« Reply #26 on: 2 Apr 2004, 05:34 pm »
Picked up the laserdiscs Stone Cold with the greatest Seahawk ever the Boz and Over the Top.

On DVD it has been Criterion's Naked Lunch & Le Cercle Rouge along Anchor Bay's new Divimax release of Dawn of the Dead.

A fine mix of trash and classics if I do say so myself.

P.S. I saw the new Dawn of the Dead, and it is a boring and pointless remake. Nothing to say like the original and the people do such stupid stuff it deprives it of any suspense and/or horror, which is the same 2 problems 28 Days Later suffered from along with the stupid and shallow anti-military angle. Plus fast moving zombies and high gloss MTV style filmmaking add absolutely nothing to a horror movie. The scary thing about zombies is that they're relentless and want to eat living flesh not the speed in which they move. When you're begging for the living to die you know you're in trouble. Sorry for the little rant, but I'm shocked by the good reviews these new zombie flicks receive. Especially when they result in me wasting $9 at the theater.

PeteG

« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2004, 08:56 pm »
Picked up Matrix:Revolutions and couldn't decide between the Pink Panther set or In Living Color.

So I walked out with Matrix & In Living Color:Season 1,
also picked up some DVD-A's

pjchappy

« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:02 am »
Kill Bill--Vol. 1

p

bubba966

« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2004, 05:01 am »
Quote from: zybar
Bubba966,

I keep forgetting to ask you how you get the dvd's before they are released?

Ya just gotta know the right people, that's all.  :wink:  :lol:

A good place to start would be knowing someone at your local big chain rental store (either one, or the other). Employees at places that don't sell DVD's as a main source of income (such as rental shops) can usually pick up discs before they're released.

Not that I get my discs that way anymore mind you... :wink:

Anyways, stopped by BB tonight as I was suffering new DVD withdrawal. :(

It took me almost 30 minutes to find something to pick up. Finally decided on getting Better Luck Tomorrow. I enjoyed it a good bit in the theater, and was waiting for a price drop on it before i bought it. But it's been out a good while, and I was tired of waiting.

bob82274

« Reply #30 on: 22 Apr 2004, 05:43 am »
Picked up the movie 'Dark City.'  Came out in '97 and sounds like its just up my alley as a sci-fi movie with a '40s noir tone to it unfortunatly I havn't had a chance to watch it yet.  At under $6 bucks it was better to buy than to rent a movie that I had never heard anything about until just recently.

bubba966

« Reply #31 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:10 am »
How is it that you've not heard of Dark City until recently? :scratch:

I had a really nice DTS LD of Dark City. Unfortunately I had to sell it 2 months ago. :cry: Wish I woulda got more than $75 out of it... :shake:

dyfromhawaii

« Reply #32 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:49 am »
Got the french movie (english subtitled) 'Umbrellas of Cherbourg' (1964) just last week (dvd/just digitally remastered) that stars Catherine Deneuve/Nino Castonuovo.

Sung entirely throughout the film-no dialogue---but before you think that is stupid/cannot be done--it was done and very successful (nominated for 5 Oscar nominations in 1964).

A love story that is ageless...check customer reviews of this film on numerous websites.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:06 am »
Dark City is a friggin' work of brilliance.  I almost wanna sell my copy just so I can rebuy it cheap!  :lol:   Seriously, Roger Ebert said it was the best movie of it's year, and I think I agree.

pjchappy

« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2004, 06:08 am »
How is Underworld?  I rented it last night and will watch it now or tomorrow.  Most likely tomorrow.  It is 1:00 AM here. . . and I drank half the night w/ a friend. . . I feel sleepy.

p

bubba966

« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2004, 06:12 am »
I'm quite fond of Underworld. Not quite fond of the DVD of Underworld.

Hopefully either the Japanese release won't suck (have it on order, will be released 6/1/04), or the new "Extended Cut" release that's coming in a month won't suck.

hmen

« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:46 pm »
Just bought Bowling For Columbine.

bubba966

« Reply #37 on: 25 Apr 2004, 08:14 pm »
Quote from: hmen
Just bought Bowling For Columbine.

Have wondered what that was like. Still haven't seen it though...

Picked up Love Actually this last Friday. Hadn't seen it beforehand. But it looked decent, and I'd not heard much bad about it (don't recall anything bad actually). Thought there was going to be more comedy in it. Was hardly any at all.

Not sorry I bought it, just wished it woulda been a little bit better. Guess I should check out the deleted scenes as 80+ minutes were cut for time contraints.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2004, 10:10 pm »
"The Cooler" and "Big Fish" will be out Tues; I'll be buying both.  I just bought "Rock Star" today.  I saw it on Skinamax awhile back and really liked it, and I tried to watch it on VH1 last nite but I couldn't take the "6 minutes of movie, 5 minutes of commercials".  Now I'll just watch the DVD tonite!  8)

bubba966

« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2004, 10:17 pm »
I didn't bother to pick up The Cooler, Big Fish, or Stuck On You last week. Haven't decided yet if I'll pick up Big Fish (maybe when it hits the 2/$20 or 2/$15 sale).

Don't know about The Cooler. Will have to give it another look at some point.

And I'll pick up Stuck On You, but not until it drops below $10.