Latest movie you've picked up...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Latest movie you've picked up...
« Reply #160 on: 26 Dec 2006, 09:56 pm »
I'm headed back to SF for a belated Xmas with my family.  I haven't been in BB in over a month ( :o) so I'm looking forward to NRT.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #161 on: 28 Dec 2006, 04:10 am »
Well, NRT was a bust.  There were several movies I wanted but the crowds were near pre-Xmas level.  Guess I'll have to try next week or the week after.  In the meanwhile I picked up "The Descent" at the local WM.  That'll have to hold me over.

Snakes on a Plane next week! :hyper:

texasphile

« Reply #162 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:37 pm »
I got an HD DVD player for Christmas, fired it up last night and watched Batman Begins in HD DVD.  Much better color and somewhat better resolution.  Not to sure about the price of some of the discs, I did buy a few at www.deepdiscountdvd.com, which will become www.deepdiscount.com soon and will now include Compact Discs, DVD (and Blu-Ray, HD DVD), and Books.  It sometimes takes a bit of looking to find a movie that is a little obscure.  You may have to input the main actor, director, original film title in its original language, etcetera.  With all of the new items for sale, I would gather that it would be really difficult to find titles since it is somewhat difficult now.

I purchased a bunch of DVDs and a few HD DVDs for the New Year, so all should be well during viewing time (no more crappy broadcast television to surf).  As far as HD DVD, I purchased Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Mission Impossible triple set (I haven't seen the third movie, I did like the first, but not the second), 50th Anniversary of Forbidden Planet, Corpse Bride, and the Last Samurai.  I don't like Tom Cruise as an actor or as a individual of human origin, but enjoyed Ken Watanabe's performance in the Last Samurai.  Ooooohh, I almost forgot, I purchased Mission Impossible Season I on DVD.  "Good Morning, Mr. Briggs."

bubba966

« Reply #163 on: 2 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm »
Just got back from wandering the aisles at BB and only came home with Snakes On A Plane & The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Wasn't sure about picking up Snakes. But as I got them both for $10 I figured why not. It's like buying Long Kiss and getting Snakes for free. And I already know Long Kiss is worth $10 on it's own.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #164 on: 3 Jan 2007, 01:26 am »
Just got back from wandering the aisles at BB and only came home with Snakes On A Plane & The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Wasn't sure about picking up Snakes. But as I got them both for $10 I figured why not. It's like buying Long Kiss and getting Snakes for free. And I already know Long Kiss is worth $10 on it's own.

I really liked The Long Kiss Goodnight too.  I've been meaning to buy it for years.  Pretty soon I'll be out the door to Wally World to pick up Snakes On A Plane as well. :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #165 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:05 am »
Snakes on a Plane is in da' house!  It will be the first movie I watch with my new Butler TDB-3150! aa

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #166 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:12 am »
Snakes on a Plane is in da' house!  It will be the first movie I watch with my new Butler TDB-3150! aa
A Butler....nice....enjoy it Rob !! 8)

ajzepp

« Reply #167 on: 3 Jan 2007, 03:53 pm »
rob, nice amp!!!!  I'm looking at my 5150 right now  :lol:

I'd always heard that "all amps sound the same", but I now know that's a bunch of CRAP. This is one piece of beautiful hybrid craftsmanship, and it's so much better than the Outlaw monoblocks I replaced that it's not even funny.

robert1325

« Reply #168 on: 3 Jan 2007, 03:54 pm »
Snakes on a plane  was good fun!

Latest DVD: fast times at ridgemont high  :icon_lol:

Night_Train

« Reply #169 on: 3 Jan 2007, 11:16 pm »
I went whole hawg wild:
- Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
- Wild Bunch (Director's Cut)
- Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Special Edition)
- Magnificent Seven (Collector's Edition)
- Rumble Fish (Special Edition)
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Collector's Edition)
- Poseidon (Special Edition)
- Guys and Dolls (Deluxe Edition)
- Some Like It Hot (Collector's Edition)
- The Machinist
- V for Vendetta (Special Edition)
- Hamlet (Criterion Collection)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Collector's Edition)

Most all are 2 disk editions and will keep me occupied for awhile.

Night_Train

« Reply #170 on: 3 Jan 2007, 11:22 pm »
Latest DVD: fast times at ridgemont high  :icon_lol:

"Mr. Hand, alls I need is my board, a cool buzz, and some tasty waves......" hehehe

robert1325

« Reply #171 on: 4 Jan 2007, 12:35 am »
It's classic!

Put "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"  High on your "to watch" list!   

bubba966

« Reply #172 on: 10 Jan 2007, 12:52 am »
Just got back from BB and only picked up Crank & Idiocracy.

Thought about a few others, but didn't feel like dropping the $ for anything else right now.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #173 on: 10 Jan 2007, 05:37 pm »
Thought about a few others, but didn't feel like dropping the $ for anything else right now.

Netflix! aa

ajzepp

« Reply #174 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:09 pm »
Netflix rocks  :thumb:

Night_Train

« Reply #175 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:08 am »
Ronin (Collector's Edition)

bubba966

« Reply #176 on: 16 Jan 2007, 10:39 pm »

I need to pick that up. Had it on DTS LD (which was an absolutely stunning disc, so I didn't mind having spent $90 on it). But I no longer have any LD's.

So, today's trip to BB I picked up Employee Of The Month, and the unrated Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. Haven't seen either of them, hope they don't suck...

robert1325

« Reply #177 on: 16 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm »
Mallrats aa

Night_Train

« Reply #178 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:00 pm »
Chicago (Razzle Dazzle Collector's Edition)

Night_Train

« Reply #179 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:14 pm »

I need to pick that up. Had it on DTS LD (which was an absolutely stunning disc, so I didn't mind having spent $90 on it). But I no longer have any LD's.

I haven't watched the movie yet, only the extra's so far. This is the new 2 disk set on DVD so they probably cleaned up the picture and audio from the standard theatrical release disk. No DTS track though which I would prefer on my DVDs.

MGM's collector's sets have also been labeled along with Sony Pictures logo which wasn't always the case. All of the sets I've purchased under MGM logo are that way lately. Otherwise, MGM has put out very few collector sets on their own behalf. Wonder what is up? Probably, they are not willing to do the restoration work on their own.

Additionally, I always wondered how Warner has gotten a hold of all the MGM classics from yesterday. Especially, some of the classic musicals that were original MGM releases and now are released on DVD under Warner's label. Sometimes the MGM logo will appear before the movie, but will be a Warner release. I wonder if there will be any studios left standing on their own?