FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers >< SOLD At LAST

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers ***PRICE DROP***
« Reply #160 on: 24 Jul 2007, 03:18 pm »
What about my mom? How does she get some action off this?
M

What are you -- her agent? If she wants a piece, she'll need to step forward with a well prepared proposal citing the advantages that would accrue to all parties as a result of her involvement.

I think she would be better received if she were to arrive unaccompanied.

miklorsmith

« Reply #161 on: 24 Jul 2007, 03:23 pm »
Mom jokes are usually made about the other person's mother.  I seriously doubt yours would be proud of you right now.

sts9fan

« Reply #162 on: 24 Jul 2007, 03:28 pm »
sts9fan - I think that Druids are too accessible in terms of availability and price to be used as a raffle item but that isn't my call. I imagine people are most likely to gamble on winning something they can't or won't buy conventionally.

Oh no not my Druids!!  I am talking about my super cool secret speakers.  They are very rare.  In all seriousness that criteria is 100% bias on your part.  IMVHO this is a terrible idea dreamed up by the person who will benefit the most.  If this does not give equal opportunity to most members then it seems wrong for this type of site.  Especially if this program is set up as a result of you wanting to sell your speakers.

Bad Idea

mcullinan

« Reply #163 on: 24 Jul 2007, 03:38 pm »
OK I take back my mom, wed have to dig her up anyways...
M

Just making a sick joke is all... really sick.
and the funny thing about humor is that it breaks all rules.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #164 on: 24 Jul 2007, 03:44 pm »
Tom,

Forget all this nonsense.  Keep your speakers.  You can never keep up with the latest and the best.  Take some time off from you audio quest for the best and the latest.  Go on a long bike trek.  Come back and listen to your system after that and fall in love with it all over again.  Kind of think of it like a marriage maintenance, you know.  :icon_surprised:  You don't go around looking to upgrade whenever a newer and "better" model comes along. Do you?  I bet that "old" gal can still show you some good times.  aa

mcullinan

« Reply #165 on: 24 Jul 2007, 03:48 pm »
True! You have some instant classic speakers right there. Dont let them go! Do what Zu would do? Hmm.. what would Zu do? I doubt version 2 will sound so much better than what you have. Take up knitting.
Peace.
Mike

miklorsmith

« Reply #166 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:06 pm »
I could see upgrading from the 1.5s to 2s, less so from the Pros.  If you must upgrade, buy a super bad amp or pre!  You run no preamp, right?  BIG improvements for me running a great tubed pre.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #167 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:08 pm »
what HE said!!!   :thumb:

doug s.

I could see upgrading from the 1.5s to 2s, less so from the Pros.  If you must upgrade, buy a super bad amp or pre!  You run no preamp, right?  BIG improvements for me running a great tubed pre.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #168 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:17 pm »
"Before anyone else raises questions about these proceedings, he should take the time to read this entire thread to see how the idea evolved and whether or not his question has already been discussed."

Your assumption is wrong, and I am surprised that in your desperation to sell a pair of speakers you are willing to offend potential buyers. 

The thread is low on specifics about how this would be run, but in the two states I checked it would require a license and, or 501(c) status, and entail more work than it is worth for AC.  Perhaps other states are more lenient.  In any case, if AC needs funds or wants to donate funds to a charity, I suspect, though I don't know, that AC would be better off asking its 10,000 members for a small donation, say a dollar or two each through Paypal, than going through the rigamarole (sp?) and legal hassle of raffling your speakers. 

In any case, good luck with the sale or raffle.

miklorsmith

« Reply #169 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:26 pm »
Or, Altmann DAC which I believe you said was the best digital you'd heard.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #170 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:26 pm »
My speakers are still available for sale. There will be no raffle involving my speakers. Those with particular questions concerning these speakers may send me a PM.

I am no longer open to advice on how to sell them no matter how well meaning.

It is likely they will be staying with me and as others have stated, that's not such a bad thing. My impulse has pretty well run its course.

Thanks for the support I received. This was a lot of fun for awhile.

miklorsmith

« Reply #171 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:33 pm »
Say it ain't so!   Almost . . . 4000 . . . views.   :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #172 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:43 pm »
While I've never been without something to say, I have frequently run out of people to say it to. I've started to feel that way about this thread.

I need more audio gear like I need a third testicle. I'm not unhappy with what I have now. Who would be?

However, I might buy your Audio Research SP-6B if you have one for sale. I like the idea of not spending much, getting onboard phono amd having lots of inputs. Tubes might be fun again. But I know where I might score a deal on a Rowland Concerto preamp with phono. Should I go for it? It has the advantage of remote control.

miklorsmith

« Reply #173 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:56 pm »
No AR pre for me, much less sell.  I don't know Rowland's stuff except for cache.  Only you can decide about the need for remote.  If you sold your Sig. 30, what's the setup now?

Another recommendation - try some Harrison Labs Fmod in-line hi-pass filter at 70 hz, which will let you run the subs to 70 hz instead of 40 or 50.  I like this a lot better.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #174 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:08 pm »
I still have my original Sig 30. I use it as a single input integrated amp with a Purest Audio passive serving as a switchbox because I need 4 inputs. An active preamp would replace the passive and the outboard phono.
My family howled like crazy when I sold my previous Concerto preamp so I may just go back to one of those.

Vinnie says, and I confirmed it, that having two passive volume pots in series degrades the sound. So I've been shuffling my feet over whether to go active or to buy his switchbox. If I go with Vinnie's switcher, he will install my Lehmann Black Cube in one of the input settings and convert it to battery at the same time. That may be my best bet from an audiophile standpoint. And it also has merit as an elegant and compact arrangement.

miklorsmith

« Reply #175 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:13 pm »
Please at least try a superior tube preamp before committing to another direction.  Mine really was a Lockdown move, and I'm running the same speakers and amp as you.

mcullinan

« Reply #176 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:14 pm »
I second this. Try a good toob preamp, your brain will love you.
Mike

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #177 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:21 pm »
I knew I was going to have to look stupid if this conversation went very far..... what's a Lockdown move?

mcullinan

« Reply #178 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:25 pm »
Think flip, twist, crack and slam. wallah instant Lockdown.
M

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #179 on: 24 Jul 2007, 05:28 pm »
yup - good tube preamp.  the one thing that's not going anywhere in my rig is my modded-to-the-gills melos ma333r.  fantastic sound, extreme flexibility, lotsa inputs.  and, yes it *does* have remote wolume pot.  an absolute necessity for me.

of course, there's other well-regarded tube preamps w/remote.  and, w/o remote, for that matter, as well. but i need remote.  if you stumble across a non-remote preamp you really love, then the placette rvc is supposed to be a 100% totally transparent remote, but i have never tried one...

doug s.

ps - ever check w/zu about the cost of a def-2 cabinet only?
pps - how much for that kt917?   :green: