FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers >< SOLD At LAST

macrojack

• Restricted
These are very rare and are not even shown on the Zu website. They are the same speakers that Mike Smith uses. They differ from the Definition 1.5 that is featured on the Zu site in that they have no internal subwoofer amplification and they use an upgraded professional woofer. Mine look the same as the flat black Definitions you see pictured in Zu's ads. These are also the same speakers that Srajan uses as his reference for 6moons reviews. They are a strong contender for THE BEST FULL RANGE SPEAKER available.

I have had this pair for almost a year and I am selling only because of my wish to buy the Zu Definition 2.

Available with the Definitions, I have a RANE PEQ 55 which I use for low frequency contour custom tailored to the acoustic space and a Crown K-2, the king of all subwoofer amps. The Crown has no fan so it is silent, unlike most professional sound reinforcement amplifiers.

The Rane and the Defs come with original factory packing but the Crown does not as I bought it used from someone who had discarded it. The Crown looks very good and the EQ and speakers are like new with all documentation.

I want $7500 for my speakers and $1500 for the amp & EQ. If the speaker buyer does not purchase the other items, then they will be available separately, but I want to give my speaker buyer first dibs on the other stuff.

********* Ignore that old price -----  SPEAKERS ARE NOW ONLY $6750 with FREE EQ *************

You can reach me at:  tkse@bresnan.net     OR    970-858-1967    Ask for Tom.
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2007, 11:43 pm by macrojack »

miklorsmith

Re: FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2007, 03:30 am »
What is the difference between the 1.5, 2, and Pro?  I thought the 2 was more of a replacement for the 1.5, with self-powered wooferdom and some remote-tuning capability?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:37 pm »
The Def 1.5 is well documented on the Zu website. The Pro has been a phantom product which was offered by the factory to the Zuish faithful and is explained pretty well in my ad above.
The Def 2 is the best of both worlds with a couple of upgrades and more flexibility. First off, the plinth which was made of MDF and painted silver will now be a 1.5 inch block of maple and painted the same color as the cabinet above it. That cabinet, which used to be MDF also, will now be made of birch plywood. All of the drivers in the 2 will be the same as the ones in the Pro. A plate amp will be onboard the 2 but it's use is optional, as the 2 can also be bi-amped a la the Pro. Where previous Definitions were available in two choices of flat paint, the 2 will come standard with your choice of gloss black, Ferrari red, or Maseratri blue. There is also an upgrade to the choke on the tweeter but I'm not fully conversant with that detail. I'm also not certain as to the remote tuning possibility. The price for the 2 is $11,000/pair.

None of this is in print anywhere so I suggest that my facts (all of them) be confirmed by the factory before you sign on the dotted line. Or you can buy my used pair, fully broken in, for quite a bit less money. Reviews of my speaker are available on the 6moons site. These speakers have been chosen to replace Wilson Alexandrias and AvantGarde Trios by happy Zu owners who have now ordered Def 2s for a small upgrade from their Pros.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2007, 02:24 am »
This is my second recent attempt to sell product through Audio Circle. My first attempt was critiqued and, I think, assisted by well-meaning fellow members. But the products I'm offering are being ignored. Why?
Are they too expensive? Are my prices unreasonable? Can anyone suggest why there is no interest?

The exposure is free, it's true, but so far I've gotten what I paid for .......... nothing.

Carl V

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2007, 02:40 am »
ditto the above
& you're ad is only 2 days
old....be patient..."dime a dozen"
products sell fast & easy....quality
takes time for the 'right' cusotmer.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2007, 03:07 am »
Thank you, gentlemen. Those all seem to be valid points. I've been given 5 weeks lead time on the new speakers so there is no need for any hurry, I guess.
As you can imagine, I can't afford to own both pairs so there is a sequence to be met.

From what I'm being told, the improvement over the Def 1.5 is more significant than the improvement over my Pros. And they are not very complicated. The amp that powers the front drivers hooks directly to the Defs. A line out from the pre then sends signal to the EQ and on to the woofer amp. . The EQ is set with an upper shelf beyond which the woofers will not reach and the EQ knobs are then yours to twiddle as you see fit. The bass capability of those eight 10 inch drivers will surprise you even if you currently have a roomful of subs.
Someone suggested that it is the largest speaker in the smallest space. Could be. It only occupies one square foot of floorspace.

For the record, I have 84 positive transactions listed on Audiogon and my speakers look just like new.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu7/defpro.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu9/definitionpro.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu10/pro.html

If you do not know about these speakers, here is some review material which might pique your interest.

gongos

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2007, 04:33 am »
Took me over 3 months to sell my RM2's. Sometimes you just have to wait.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2007, 01:18 pm »
There are only about 2 dozen pairs of Def Pros on earth and maybe half of them are in this country. When word leaked out about the Def 2, there was a flurry of Definitions offered on Audiogon. I believe there were 5 or 6 pairs of Definitions put up for sale and 2 pair were Pros. They sold within a few days. That's why I was hoping mine would sell quickly. And maybe they will on Audiogon.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2007, 04:27 pm »
My speakers are pretty close to the back wall and I would rather not move them to get a photo of the rear drivers. However, if someone feels they cannot buy my speakers without that perspective, I am willing to accommodate.

The photo shows me and my sons last December in our Zu T-shirts. On the Zu website, there is now an apparel section where you can buy certain garments sporting the Zu logo and/or a Definition.

The dog is Tokie. He heads up the security division of our audio department. He's a 3.5 year old Akita from Minda Akitas in Mount Shasta, California. He seems to really like reggae.

Plink

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2007, 02:50 pm »
Do you still have your Red Wine amp?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2007, 02:53 pm »
My speakers are pretty close to the back wall and I would rather not move them to get a photo of the rear drivers. However, if someone feels they cannot buy my speakers without that perspective, I am willing to accommodate.

The photo shows me and my sons last December in our Zu T-shirts. On the Zu website, there is now an apparel section where you can buy certain garments sporting the Zu logo and/or a Definition.

The dog is Tokie. He heads up the security division of our audio department. He's a 3.5 year old Akita from Minda Akitas in Mount Shasta, California. He seems to really like reggae.

Here are few pics of the back from the 6Moons reviews:

George

miklorsmith

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2007, 04:15 pm »
I love my Pros.  They engender true love at every listen.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2007, 04:56 pm »
In order:

Yes, I still have my Red Wine amp. At 30? watts, it drives the Definitions very well.

George, Thanks for the picture downloads. That is exactly what my speakers look like in the back but my cabinet color is the same as the back grill, unlike the speakers in the photo.

Mike, I love my Pros too. They do it all very, very well. Like the reviews say, it's all about the tone.

My Audiogon ad has been running for about 24 hours now. I have well over 500 hits and two emails. One guy wanted to know the speaker dimensions and the other praised my dog. I expect the next one to ask for a salad recipe. Or directions to Duluth. Or maybe which kind of light bulbs sound best in a Kenwood tuner dial.

Doesn't anybody want a speaker upgrade?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2007, 05:39 pm »
In order:

Yes, I still have my Red Wine amp. At 30? watts, it drives the Definitions very well.

George, Thanks for the picture downloads. That is exactly what my speakers look like in the back but my cabinet color is the same as the back grill, unlike the speakers in the photo.

Mike, I love my Pros too. They do it all very, very well. Like the reviews say, it's all about the tone.

My Audiogon ad has been running for about 24 hours now. I have well over 500 hits and two emails. One guy wanted to know the speaker dimensions and the other praised my dog. I expect the next one to ask for a salad recipe. Or directions to Duluth. Or maybe which kind of light bulbs sound best in a Kenwood tuner dial.

Doesn't anybody want a speaker upgrade?

As others have said, this is a tough time of the year to sell expensive audio gear. 

Make sure your price is appropriate for the market and time of the year. 

Try to be as unemotional as possible - treat it as true business transaction.   

You should expect to receive the types of replies you listed and just learn to deal with it.

I won't depress you further and tell you some of the downright silly offers I received on my 5A's while I had them up for sale...

Just remember, it only takes one person to sell them.

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2007, 08:42 pm »
Thanks again, George. I'm not in the least apprehensive. I've been at this a long time and, while I don't trade much anymore, I've gone through several truck loads of equipment in my day. My chatter in this forum is more about attracting attention than voicing frustration.

Truth be told, I'm not all that concerned with selling these things. There's a newer, more valuable, more versatile, more sexy version of the same thing waiting for me if I can withdraw the funds that are now deposited in my Pros. If not, I will continue to enjoy one of the better speakers available for less than mortgage money.

Hey, you know, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that you like the Def Pros more than your Vandersteens. Have you given that possibility any thought? Everything I see about Vandy claims that the first order crossover and concomitant phase and time alignment make them superior. This seems logical as crossovers are known to cause big problems in those areas. It only makes sense that less phase adjustment would require less phase correction.
I think it follows logically enough then, that having no crossover in the signal path would tamper with phase and time relationships even less than a first order version. And Zu has no crossover between 40 HZ and 12 Khz.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2007, 08:47 pm »
Thanks again, George. I'm not in the least apprehensive. I've been at this a long time and, while I don't trade much anymore, I've gone through several truck loads of equipment in my day. My chatter in this forum is more about attracting attention than voicing frustration.

Truth be told, I'm not all that concerned with selling these things. There's a newer, more valuable, more versatile, more sexy version of the same thing waiting for me if I can withdraw the funds that are now deposited in my Pros. If not, I will continue to enjoy one of the better speakers available for less than mortgage money.

Hey, you know, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that you like the Def Pros more than your Vandersteens. Have you given that possibility any thought? Everything I see about Vandy claims that the first order crossover and concomitant phase and time alignment make them superior. This seems logical as crossovers are known to cause big problems in those areas. It only makes sense that less phase adjustment would require less phase correction.
I think it follows logically enough then, that having no crossover in the signal path would tamper with phase and time relationships even less than a first order version. And Zu has no crossover between 40 HZ and 12 Khz.

Let's just say that I will stick with my 5A's and wish you the best of luck.

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2007, 09:14 pm »
George - It's good that one of us has the sense to leave well enough alone. I'm never able to do that for very long. Good for you.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2007, 10:07 pm »
George - It's good that one of us has the sense to leave well enough alone. I'm never able to do that for very long. Good for you.

I had my lapse, but came to my senses before any damage was done.   :duh:

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:34 pm »
Hi George - Looks like it's time to respond to your last comment so that I can move back to the top of the speaker menu. Let me know if you have a re---lapse.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:20 pm »
O.K. Y'all.

Here's the Audiogon ad you guys said I should run. It's 5 days old and has over 900 hits. Nobody's biting.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1188401737&item

So I wonder if Audio Circlers know what this speaker is. Please respond with your notion of where the Zu Definition Pro sits in the hierarchy of ALL available speakers. And please consider this offer for AC members only.

If you pay my price and your shipping destination is within the lower 48 contiguous United States, I will pay to ship them to you via FedEx Ground. I'm not sure what that will cost me but I'm willin if youse is buyin.

RSVP.

I know this isn't as fascinating as cast iron cookware but it is food for thought. Why in hell would Srajan and Jim Smith go from AvantGarde to Zu? What has Miklorsmith so deliriously happy? I've talked on the phone with Mike and read his writings. He really seems to know what he's doing. I mean, these are people who can afford to own most of the heady stuff and still they go for Zu. Don't you wonder why?

I have personally used Zu speakers, first Druids, then added MiniMethod sub and then bought current Def Pros, for just under two years. I have previously owned Avalon Eclipse, Aerial 10T, Goldmund Dialogue, Sound Lab (forgot model), NHT 2.9, Vision Acoustics Soloist, Vandersteen 3. I've sold, in a retail setting, Thiel, B&W, Klipsch, Vandy, Thiel, Magnepan and many others. They all have strengths and weaknesses and they all deserve a look, but none of those products have provided the seamless, dynamic, stimulating presentation and energetic complexity of the Zu speakers. No one has successfully provided a full range point source as yet and no one has come closer to doing so than Zu. There is NO CROSSOVER in the signal path between 40 HZ and 12,000 HZ. To you that means a coherency that your speaker cannot deliver through its crossover network. It means there are no time or phase inconsistencies at all through out most of the audible and all of the meaningful frequency range. It's not a gimmick, guys. It stands apart from the other stuff. Check it out.

Alright ..... you've outed me. I'm a Zu Zealot. I'm a believer. I can't help myself. But I can recommend that you help yourself. Read about them on the links I provided. Call the factory and talk to Sean or Adam. Take a test drive. Some of you will get it and you will be glad you did. It's the ultimate single driver speaker.