FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers >< SOLD At LAST

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:32 pm »
O.K. Y'all.

Here's the Audiogon ad you guys said I should run. It's 5 days old and has over 900 hits. Nobody's biting.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1188401737&item

So I wonder if Audio Circlers know what this speaker is. Please respond with your notion of where the Zu Definition Pro sits in the hierarchy of ALL available speakers. And please consider this offer for AC members only.

If you pay my price and your shipping destination is within the lower 48 contiguous United States, I will pay to ship them to you via FedEx Ground. I'm not sure what that will cost me but I'm willin if youse is buyin.

RSVP.

I know this isn't as fascinating as cast iron cookware but it is food for thought. Why in hell would Srajan and Jim Smith go from AvantGarde to Zu? What has Mike Smith so deliriously happy? I've talked on the phone with Mike and read his writings. He really seems to know what he's doing. I mean, these are people who can afford to own most of the heady stuff and still they go for Zu. Don't you wonder why?

I have personally used Zu speakers, first Druids, then added MiniMethod sub and then bought current Def Pros, for just under two years. I have previously owned Avalon Eclipse, Aerial 10T, Goldmund Dialogue, Sound Lab (forgot model), NHT 2.9, Vision Acoustics Soloist, Vandersteen 3. I've sold, in a retail setting, Thiel, B&W, Klipsch, Vandy, Thiel, Magnepan and many others. They all have strengths and weaknesses and they all deserve a look, but none of those products have provided the seamless, dynamic, stimulating presentation and energetic complexity of the Zu speakers. No one has successfully provided a full range point source as yet and no one has come closer to doing so than Zu. There is NO CROSSOVER in the signal path between 40 HZ and 12,000 HZ. To you that means a coherency that your speaker cannot deliver through its crossover network. It means there are no time or phase inconsistencies at all through out most of the audible and all of the meaningful frequency range. It's not a gimmick, guys. It stands apart from the other stuff. Check it out.

Alright ..... you've outed me. I'm a Zu Zealot. I'm a believer. I can't help myself. But I can recommend that you help yourself. Read about them on the links I provided. Call the factory and talk to Sean or Adam. Take a test drive. Some of you will get it and you will be glad you did. It's the ultimate single driver speaker.

Hang in there...it's only been 5 days on Audiogon (right around 4th of July). 

Don't forget you have a few factors at play:

1.  It's summer time.

2.  There are only so many people looking to spend around $7k on used speakers.

3.  Zu is a "nitch" player - it's not a household name.

4.  Your asking price is over 80% of the list price on a used speaker - furthermore, this speaker isn't even listed on Zu's website and has a very limited roll-out.  You might want to consider a price change to generate more interest.

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:47 pm »
George

I know you're right about the first point.

I suspect you are right about the second point.

I fear you are right about the third point.

But that fourth point -- I'm not so sure.

I chose my price based on what the other ones were selling for when there were other ones for sale. The price is negotiable but I had to start somewhere. Another point about the price is that the product is rare and very desirable even though not too many people have figured that out. And then there is the factory-direct factor. The Druids which are numerous and are always available for sale routinely garner more than 70% of retail on the used market.

But it doesn't seem that price is the issue. Nobody is trying to lowball me and nobody on this forum has even asked a question. That's what has me wondering. Have AC readers even given Zu any thought? Does it take an O.K. from Michael Fremer or Harry Pearson or Sam Tellig or Bat Masterson to get their attention?

Inquiring minds want to know.

What's a roll-out?

miklorsmith

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jul 2007, 02:37 pm »
Roll-out meaning there are very few pair out there and "buzz" is commensurately small.  Very few have heard them.

I'll add a few things:

These speakers are different.  Most folks don't have a system aligned for what these do well.

The required EQ in the bass is a learning curve, and adds complexity to the system with required bi-amping.

It's a big move for unheard stuff at this price.

You should be able to sit at least 9 feet from them.

Now the good, and why I love 'em (yep, still completely smitten):

They are detail monsters, not in the treble specifically, but in the midrange.  The no-XO alignment allows all that low-level stuff to come through clearly.  This is a whole 'nuther kind of detail, that puts real tone and nuance into intruments.  Counterintuitively, instrumental separation at any volume is extraordinary.

They make Real Bass.  Folks that say there's not much under 40 hz haven't heard these.  And, the added complexity should be looked at as flexibility.  That bass can be tuned to nearly any room.

They can be placed against walls with no ill effects.  After much experimentation, mine are 12" from the front wall.

Newest wunderkind flea amp too small for your speakers?  Not if you had these.

If you really love the speakers macro mentioned above, these are probably not the ticket.  If you wonder what more is possible, they just might be.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2007, 04:44 pm by miklorsmith »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2007, 05:50 pm »
This ad has been running for 12 days and no one has expressed any interest in these speakers. There's been enough info planted by myself and others to stimulate curiosity about the product  and I've offered to pay shipping. Still not one of you has shown a sign of interest.

This seems quite strange to me because of the user-friendliness and the performance level they offer. Is it just that Zu is lost in the long list of brands with which you are unfamiliar? That I can imagine because there are so many small companies pushing and shoving trying to get a seat in the front row. And Zu doesn't exactly make a racket attempting to draw attention to themselves.

All that said, however, and despite the hyperbole that permeates our field of interest, The Zu Definition Pro is perhaps the finest loudspeaker available at any price. You owe it to yourself to find out more if the price is within reach for you. You will certainly not see them for sale often.

mihilli

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul 2007, 08:54 pm »
maybe it's your deoderant??   :D

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 9 Jul 2007, 11:39 pm »
More likely my breath. It's pesto season and my wife doesn't hold back on the garlic.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:05 pm »
This ad has been running for 12 days and no one has expressed any interest in these speakers. There's been enough info planted by myself and others to stimulate curiosity about the product  and I've offered to pay shipping. Still not one of you has shown a sign of interest.

This seems quite strange to me because of the user-friendliness and the performance level they offer. Is it just that Zu is lost in the long list of brands with which you are unfamiliar? That I can imagine because there are so many small companies pushing and shoving trying to get a seat in the front row. And Zu doesn't exactly make a racket attempting to draw attention to themselves.

All that said, however, and despite the hyperbole that permeates our field of interest, The Zu Definition Pro is perhaps the finest loudspeaker available at any price. You owe it to yourself to find out more if the price is within reach for you. You will certainly not see them for sale often.

Too bad you are 2000 miles away from me.

I would love to hear these speakers in a home configuration, properly setup.

I have only heard the standard Definitions at last year's RMAF.

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:21 pm »
Well, George, I'm about 260 miles west of Denver and the way things are going I may still have them when you come west for RMAF in October.

There's a nice pair available for audition in Seattle also, if you get up that way.

miklorsmith

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:31 pm »
 :oops:

Open door policy here in Seatown!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:33 pm »
I might take you up on the offer when I have to visit Microsoft for a customer visit in August.

George

miklorsmith

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:13 pm »
Hey, all my neighbors work for Microsoft - maybe you know 'em!   :D

Let me know, there's plenty of space and tasty beer.   aa

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:01 pm »
What, no posts in the last few days?

Macrojack, how another impassioned post?  I love reading them!   :thumb:

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:27 pm »
ALL RIGHT!!!!

The psychology is working. My fan base is clamoring for more witty repartee and clever innuendo. But, you know, this thing may have backfired. Perhaps the reason no one buys my speakers has to do with another psychological twist altogether.

Maybe nobody is buying out of fear that I'll shut up and stop providing entertainment once mt selfish goal is realized. The boomerang has returned and the back of my head hurts.

For further reading on this topic and a good look at some of your own shortcomings, please refer to ctviggens post concerning the "proper" way to evaluate any differences that may exist between the speakers he's currently tripping over.

I've provided a brief insightful shout for your perusal in response to his quandry. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:26 pm »
Zu Definition provides ultra high resolution. Mike Smith calls them "detail monsters".

They provide a presentation like an electrostatic panel but with dynamics that will rival anything. I think the trick is large radiating area and short excursion moving a lot of air quickly. That's my best guess. Whatever, the reason, the Definition will stand you on your ear if you hear it in a proper environment.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #34 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:32 pm »
Zu Definition provides ultra high resolution. Mike Smith calls them "detail monsters".

They are not for me then.  I don't want to hear all the warts on my favorite diva's voice.  I want speakers that will smooth the raspy breathing she has in the upper register.   :lol: :lol:  That's why I use 300b tubes.  :wink:

Good luck.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:42 pm »
One down -- 9,999 to go.

miklorsmith

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:21 pm »

They are not for me then.  I don't want to hear all the warts on my favorite diva's voice.  I want speakers that will smooth the raspy breathing she has in the upper register.   :lol: :lol:  That's why I use 300b tubes.  :wink:

Now THAT'S funny.   :lol:

Macro - I like your reasoning.

To clarify - my thoughts on the "detailability" of these speakers should probably be termed "resolution" as that is more apt.  Detail too often is connoted as edgy in the upper frequencies and that was not my thought.  When I said that I was referring to midrange prowess where these speakers truly shine.  For that matter, they are incredibly resolved in the bass as well.

mcullinan

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:44 pm »
My prediction is that these babies will sell at or near Christmas Time. I am Karnac the crusty butted Audio DemiGorgon.
 aa
GL
Mike

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:00 pm »
Mike - You want to firm up that date a little bit? It's the first offer I've received that didn't include somebody's personal problems.

mcullinan

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:10 pm »
lol... Ive got plenty o personal problems if you only had the time hehe.
No I just bought a pair of Merlin VSM-MXs  and will be paying them off for a while.
Though speakers are like crack... you can never have too much. Though how would I know since I never smoked crak. Hey theres always 2day!
Mike