FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers >< SOLD At LAST

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers >< Further Reduced
« Reply #240 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:43 am »
I bid a small amount so that I could monitor the bidding. I had good reason to be interested in their progress. Now I no longer have a reason to care.
This is one of the two pairs that were for sale back when Zu first announced there would be a Def 2. I thought he had sold them until they appeared recently. I wasn't watching at the time but Tvad emailed me a link.
I remember that the guy had no boxes. You might want to check that with him. If necessary, contact Zu. They will sell you boxes and ship them directly to the seller. Could be a bargaining tool. Unless, of course, you live close enough to pick them up yourself.

I think you will be surprised by how much the price runs up when the auction gets close to the end. A lot of people want to own these speakers. They are still one of the best available to working class audiophiles and I doubt seriously if any speaker under $20,000 gives you more.

I hope to hell you win them. I bet his reserve is at least $5K.

Plink

« Reply #241 on: 7 Aug 2007, 04:44 pm »
The length of my thread is what connected me with the buyer. As someone pointed out, my AC ad was second only to the 6moons review in that category on Google.

you're welcome.  :wink:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #242 on: 9 Aug 2007, 11:41 pm »
My bank called at 8:15 this morning to say the wire transfer was in my account. So I tore down the system, boxed everything up and dropped the three boxes at FedEx by 11:30 A.M. Now I have sellers remorse and my JBL L-200 in the living room. I haven't even hooked them up yet.

Waiting for these new speakers is going to be tedious.

And thanks to everyone who helped to make this such a long thread. That is in fact the way my buyer found me.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: FOR SALE: ZU DEFINITION PRO speakers >< SOLD At LAST
« Reply #243 on: 10 Aug 2007, 02:57 am »
Too bad we didn't have the raffle Tom....I really wonder how it might of gone.

Glad things worked out for all..... :thumb:

eric the red

« Reply #244 on: 10 Aug 2007, 04:05 am »
Man-that didn't take long

Congrats  8)

jhm731

« Reply #245 on: 10 Aug 2007, 05:55 am »
I bid a small amount so that I could monitor the bidding. I had good reason to be interested in their progress. Now I no longer have a reason to care.
This is one of the two pairs that were for sale back when Zu first announced there would be a Def 2. I thought he had sold them until they appeared recently. I wasn't watching at the time but Tvad emailed me a link.
I remember that the guy had no boxes. You might want to check that with him. If necessary, contact Zu. They will sell you boxes and ship them directly to the seller. Could be a bargaining tool. Unless, of course, you live close enough to pick them up yourself.

I think you will be surprised by how much the price runs up when the auction gets close to the end. A lot of people want to own these speakers. They are still one of the best available to working class audiophiles and I doubt seriously if any speaker under $20,000 gives you more.

I hope to hell you win them. I bet his reserve is at least $5K.

Happy to see you've finally sold your Zu speakers, but I doubt seriously you've heard all the best speakers under $20,000.

The GR LS-6 and LS-9, IMO, offer more than any Zu speakers for a lot less $$$.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #246 on: 10 Aug 2007, 12:20 pm »
jhm731-

I wish to be taken literally. Re-read my post and highlight the part where I claim to have heard all the best speakers under $20,000.

If you like something else better, that's O.K. I'm quite sold on what Zu is doing and apparently the guy I was writing to is pretty convinced as well.

I haven't put much together in terms of who is sponsoring whom but I get a strong impression that a lot of the recommendations on Audio Circle are fraternally induced.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #247 on: 10 Aug 2007, 12:25 pm »
jhm731-

I wish to be taken literally. Re-read my post and highlight the part where I claim to have heard all the best speakers under $20,000.

If you like something else better, that's O.K. I'm quite sold on what Zu is doing and apparently the guy I was writing to is pretty convinced as well.

I haven't put much together in terms of who is sponsoring whom but I get a strong impression that a lot of the recommendations on Audio Circle are fraternally induced.

So you are in the Sigma Delta Zu fraternity?  :lol:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #248 on: 10 Aug 2007, 12:26 pm »

Zu makes great products but I think some of us could ask the same of you & Zu...... :scratch:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #249 on: 10 Aug 2007, 12:48 pm »
No question about me being close to Zu. I've developed a rapport with the Zu boys as a result of having bought their products. What's more I stand to get a commission on any Zu product I sell to anyone who buys something they auditioned at my house if they keep it beyond the 60 day trial period. This has been true for well over a year but no one has come here to listen yet. So, I haven't sold anything and haven't made any money. Since I am in an audio no man's land, I expect my record of selling nothing to continue untarnished for some time, especially since, if someone was to travel from either coast, they may as well just go to Zu rather than coming here.
Denver prospects, on the other hand, would find coming here a lot more convenient if it weren't for a little event called RMAF.

It is important to note that Zu is not an AC member and therefore not part of this fraternity like some other frequently recommended brands.

Woodsyi - I am in that fraternity having transferred over from Phi Zappa Krappa.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #250 on: 10 Aug 2007, 01:39 pm »
i have had experiences w/gr-research speakers, & w/zu speakers.  there's things i liked about both, & dislike about both.  tho i have never heard danny's line-sources, or the definitions, based upon the speakers i have heard, & what i know about single-driver speakers & line source speakers, i would choose the ls9's over the definition pro's w/o even hesitating a nano-second.  even if the prices were identical.

if i had to hazard a guess, based upon my limited experience of the mfr's products, & my general knowledge of loudspeaker design & implementation, i suspect the ls9's will offer a lot more detail, a lot better soundstaging, (width, depth, and height), be more neutral top to bottom, & be a little behind the zu's dynamic capabilities, but not by much.  i also suspect that the dynamics gap might shrink a little more if the ls9's are paired w/subwoofers, which will also increase the ls9's detail a bit as well...

ymmv,

doug s., proud member of phi smegma epileptic

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #251 on: 10 Aug 2007, 02:05 pm »
No question about me being close to Zu. I've developed a rapport with the Zu boys as a result of having bought their products. What's more I stand to get a commission on any Zu product I sell to anyone who buys something they auditioned at my house if they keep it beyond the 60 day trial period. This has been true for well over a year but no one has come here to listen yet. So, I haven't sold anything and haven't made any money. Since I am in an audio no man's land, I expect my record of selling nothing to continue untarnished for some time, especially since, if someone was to travel from either coast, they may as well just go to Zu rather than coming here.
Denver prospects, on the other hand, would find coming here a lot more convenient if it weren't for a little event called RMAF.

It is important to note that Zu is not an AC member and therefore not part of this fraternity like some other frequently recommended brands.

Woodsyi - I am in that fraternity having transferred over from Phi Zappa Krappa.

Tom,

All kidding aside, you have to declare your home dealer relationship with Zu on your signature per AC rules.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41871.0
I was a part of the team that wrote it and I think it's fair.  Whether you actually have had any customer is a moot point.  Everyone reading your posts should be aware that you have that relationship with Zu.

Regards,

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #252 on: 10 Aug 2007, 02:23 pm »
I'm interested in compliance but I don't have a website, inventory or advertising. I announced my involvement, such as it is, a few times in various threads and I think I ran an invite when I first registered here.
I'm going to need some instruction about this because I actually do have a resale license and company name and I am a dealer for Grado products. I'm not sure Zu knows any of this, however.

So give me a step by step and I'll sign up as required. I am not very computer savvy and I don't even know how to publish pictures. I've seen instructions on here for how to do it but it looks like too much trouble to me.

Since I don't seek business and don't have even one piece of inventory I need to sell, I fail to see where this still hypothetical business arrangement with Zu violates the spirit of the law, even though it can easily be unterpreted as a violation of strict verbiage.

How do I do this thing? I don't even have an avatar. Even if my Zu relationship does not apply, I still have to sign up for Grado, I guess. I do have some of their products in inventory. Anybody need a plastic cartridge?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #253 on: 10 Aug 2007, 02:41 pm »

if i had to hazard a guess, based upon my limited experience of the mfr's products, & my general knowledge of loudspeaker design & implementation, i suspect the ls9's will offer a lot more detail, a lot better soundstaging, (width, depth, and height), be more neutral top to bottom, & be a little behind the zu's dynamic capabilities, but not by much.  i also suspect that the dynamics gap might shrink a little more if the ls9's are paired w/subwoofers, which will also increase the ls9's detail a bit as well...

ymmv,

The last thing you would want to do is add subwoofers to the LS-9's.  :o  They reach into the teens in room as they are. That's the real beauty of the LS-9, stereo subwoofers. No additional amplification needed. Even the LS-6 goes down very low. The bass will be more articulate and fast in the LS -9's than most subs that can play into the teens. There is even a bass management system worked into the crossover to allow the customer to custom tailor in room bass response via resistors.

Dynamically, they will easily surpass most speakers as well, the woofers in the LS-9 were specifically designed and built for a line source application, and feature the patented XBL^2 motor technology.

Happy to see you've finally sold your Zu speakers, but I doubt seriously you've heard all the best speakers under $20,000.

It's not even an apples to apples comparison to the Zu's. We are in the process of building the first customer set of custom LS-9's. We will demo them for a short while here in Toronto before they go out to the customer. You are all welcome to come by and hear for yourselves.

Bring your own seatbelts.  :wink:

Cheers

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #254 on: 10 Aug 2007, 02:42 pm »
Tom,

I think this is the phrase that applies to you. 

For those who are taking your honed DIY skills to the next level and have just started a commercial venture, a disclosure of your commercial interest and a brief description of your venture will do until you grow to develop a website.

I kind of fought for this one since some members become small time "dealers" who may not be able to afford the time or money for a web site.  The intention is to identify the enthusiasts who become dealers (because you like the product so much) who stand to gain by promoting a product.  I think it's in the spirit of AC to put that in your signature so that even a first time poster knows that you have that relationship with Zu and Grado.

Just go to your profile and type in that you deal Zu and Grado at home in your signature and it will be there at the bottom of all your posts.

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2007, 02:57 pm by woodsyi »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #255 on: 10 Aug 2007, 03:17 pm »
thanks for the info on the ls9's bass capabilities.  looking forward to actual published performance spec on these, re: frequency response, efficiency, ohms ratings, etc...

doug s.

ymmv,

The last thing you would want to do is add subwoofers to the LS-9's.  :o  They reach into the teens in room as they are. That's the real beauty of the LS-9, stereo subwoofers. No additional amplification needed. Even the LS-6 goes down very low. The bass will be more articulate and fast in the LS -9's than most subs that can play into the teens. There is even a bass management system worked into the crossover to allow the customer to custom tailor in room bass response via resistors.

Dynamically, they will easily surpass most speakers as well, the woofers in the LS-9 were specifically designed and built for a line source application, and feature the patented XBL^2 motor technology.

It's not even an apples to apples comparison to the Zu's. We are in the process of building the first customer set of custom LS-9's. We will demo them for a short while here in Toronto before they go out to the customer. You are all welcome to come by and hear for yourselves.

Bring your own seatbelts.  :wink:

Cheers

miklorsmith

« Reply #256 on: 10 Aug 2007, 03:17 pm »
It's not even an apples to apples comparison to the Zu's. We are in the process of building the first customer set of custom LS-9's.

C'mon man.  You're building the FIRST pair and they're heads and tails above stuff you haven't heard?  I really love SET amps, which GR speaker is right for me?  Single driver, XOverless sound really floats my boat, which GR speaker is right for me?  I need my speakers 2" from the front wall, which GR is right for me?

I'm not saying Zu is better, as I haven't heard GR.  Anyone extrapolating what the Definitions or Pros sound like from the Druids should not do so, their signatures are much more different than bass reach.  I know, I've owned all three.  It isn't apples-to-apples, but not for the reasons intimated by these commercially motivated statements.  Rather, they are DIFFERENT products aimed at DIFFERENT customers with disparate tastes.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #257 on: 10 Aug 2007, 03:24 pm »
Mike,

He said first for a customer.  I would assume he has one for demo.  Since he lists his affiliation with GR, I understand his enthusiasm for their speakers.  I do want to hear them some time as well as Zu Def 2.  You are a lucky man to be able to hear all kinds of gears without buying them. 

miklorsmith

« Reply #258 on: 10 Aug 2007, 03:31 pm »
Just to clear the air, I wasn't associated with 6moons or anyone when I found Zu and none of these purchases were review samples.  Trumpeting one's own product is fine until it comes at the expense of another with nothing to back it up.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #259 on: 10 Aug 2007, 03:33 pm »
It's not even an apples to apples comparison to the Zu's. We are in the process of building the first customer set of custom LS-9's.

I resisted earlier, but c'mon man.  You're building the FIRST pair and they're heads and tails above stuff you haven't heard? 

Mike,

I haven't heard the LS-9's, no. But, I'm probably one of the most familiar with the GR Research line of speakers. I started with some DIY 2 ways that Danny did a custom crossover for. Then I built the A/V 3 kit. Then I built the PR subwoofer, then the OB 5, then the OB 7. I am very familiar with Danny's work. I am very familiar with his drivers and their capabilities. I have heard the difference between his standard drivers, and the ones that use the new XBL^2 motor technology. I am familiar with the planar driver. I also have a rapport with Danny, and everytime he described what to expect when I upgraded, I got.

I would put the OB 7's next to the Zu's anyday of the week.

The LS-9's next to the Zu's would be a David and Goliath match up.

Rather, they are DIFFERENT products aimed at DIFFERENT customers with disparate tastes.

Absolutely.

Just to clear the air, I wasn't associated with 6moons or anyone when I found Zu and none of these purchases were review samples.  Trumpeting one's own product is fine until it comes at the expense of another with nothing to back it up.

Number 1, it's not my product.

Number 2, I am also a customer.

Number 3, the facts of this speaker, are the facts.

Cheers