MOX in parallell with a 1 mH inductor for the B200

markC

Re: MOX in parallell with a 1 mH inductor for the B200
« Reply #100 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:48 am »
phy-type baffle?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #101 on: 27 Oct 2006, 05:12 am »
Yes, PHY - the French driver manufacturer. Their suggested baffle, although larger, is like yours in that the centre section is much narrower than the wings, and the wings differ in width. I believe the whole thing is intended to be made out of thin panels with sand filling the space between the panels.
Like this:
http://www.phy-hp.com/English/Communication_E/Com_E_Baffle_Plan.html

jkelly

« Reply #102 on: 28 Oct 2006, 11:21 pm »
OK this is a little weird but...
wondering how many are using the little
radio shack jumper cables with alligator clips
to connect between the MOX circuit and the
B200?

If you are - have you tried using a different wire?

In my case the difference was significant..but I won't
say what it was.  The other cable I used is a
strand of Cat5 (solid).

Jeff

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
« Reply #103 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:30 am »
Hi everybody,

My name is Rafal. I'm getting ready to build B200OBs and I have just finished a Charlize amp to drive them. I also ordered .68mH||6.8 ohm components for a notch filter based on your findings. I was wondering, will Charlize be enough to drive my B200s with a notch filter since it really only has 10 useful watts? What will be the resulting sensitivity (the b200s themselves start off with 96dB)?

I really hope I won't have to get a different amp.

Cheers,

Rafal

texendo

« Reply #104 on: 21 Nov 2006, 03:12 am »
Hi everybody,

My name is Rafal. I'm getting ready to build B200OBs and I have just finished a Charlize amp to drive them. I also ordered .68mH||6.8 ohm components for a notch filter based on your findings. I was wondering, will Charlize be enough to drive my B200s with a notch filter since it really only has 10 useful watts? What will be the resulting sensitivity (the b200s themselves start off with 96dB)?

I really hope I won't have to get a different amp.

Cheers,

Rafal

I can't answer your question with any real authority, although I'm afraid your fears may in fact be valid.  That being said, I just got my B200's up and running in their baffles and prefer them without the notch filter.  Granted, I'm pushing them with a much different amp (1960s Sansui 1000a 40watts push-pull receiver), but the important thing is that you'll just want to try it out for yourself with your stereo in your room with your ears and see what you like best.  To me, the notch filter clouded too much of the transparency for which these drivers are lauded.  I hope to be upgrading amps in the coming months, and those may in fact require the filters.  Play around and see what you like (that's at least half the fun here...).

buble_corp

« Reply #105 on: 21 Nov 2006, 11:11 am »
-> Rafal
My Charilze drives B200 with 1mH||6.8R filter without any problems. Charilze is digital amp and this kind of amps don't have any problems driving low impedance speakers, so don't be affraid. Charlize and B200 really cooperate great.

Rafal

« Reply #106 on: 21 Nov 2006, 01:56 pm »
-> Rafal
My Charilze drives B200 with 1mH||6.8R filter without any problems. Charilze is digital amp and this kind of amps don't have any problems driving low impedance speakers, so don't be affraid. Charlize and B200 really cooperate great.

Thanks, That's a great news. Yesterday i listened to Charlize with my Tannoy Mercury 2's and it sounded sweet, very liquid and enjoyable. I can't wait to hear it with B200 ob

buble_corp

« Reply #107 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:01 pm »
-> Rafal
Where are you from? Are you polish? Couse your first name looks like typical polish name. I live in Warsaw, so ...

Rafal

« Reply #108 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:14 pm »
-> Rafal
Where are you from? Are you polish? Couse your first name looks like typical polish name. I live in Warsaw, so ...

Yep.

I'm Polish. Cesc :)

I lived in Gdynia untill I was 15 and them moved to Canada (London, Ontario)

buble_corp

« Reply #109 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:40 pm »
Nice to find countryman on foreign forum :).
IMHO Monica is really good amp for high efficiency speakers. Good means: dynamic, with good bass, detailed and transparent,
but ...
compared to good OTL tube it lacks air, space around instruments, full timbre and mostly something witch I don't know the word in english, in polish it's "wybrzmienie" ( sound after main tone).

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #110 on: 22 Nov 2006, 02:54 pm »
"wybrzmienie"
Can one of you sound that word out in english? I wish to save the word for future reference. I think I know what you mean by it. English may be a good scientific language and stick to the facts language, but it lacks a lot of some of the "from the heart" emotional words many other languages seem to have.

Dave :)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #111 on: 22 Nov 2006, 09:10 pm »
Nice to find countryman on foreign forum :).
IMHO Monica is really good amp for high efficiency speakers. Good means: dynamic, with good bass, detailed and transparent,
but ...
compared to good OTL tube it lacks air, space around instruments, full timbre and mostly something witch I don't know the word in english, in polish it's "wybrzmienie" ( sound after main tone).
Harmonics, maybe?

markC

« Reply #112 on: 23 Nov 2006, 03:22 am »
Me thinks timbre may be the term.

buble_corp

« Reply #113 on: 23 Nov 2006, 08:51 am »
Harmonics, maybe?

No, word 'harmonics' is technical one, but propably combined with 'delay' will explain this kind of phenomenon.

->markC
I think that word 'timbre' is for 'colour of sound'.

Sorry for OT.

Rafal

« Reply #114 on: 23 Nov 2006, 04:19 pm »
I think the English equivalent is reverberence (or something like that)

Anyway, back on topic...
When you guys mount the inductor and resistor on OB, how do you ohisically mount it? Do you have a small box for them or do you just ziptie it and leave it exposed? Do you have any pics?

fergs1

« Reply #115 on: 23 Nov 2006, 06:07 pm »

''Charilze is digital amp and this kind of amps don't have any problems driving low             
                impedance speakers, so don't be affraid"

greeting Ladies and Gentlemen, just wondering I didn't think that charlize was a digital amp but an analog switching amp based on the class d topology.Also I had a go with the circuit described in this thread (inductor/resistor) and couldn't live with it at all. for me it destroyed the imaging and sounstage, two of the b200s' greatest attributes.My b200 are in a 440 x 1200 baffle supported by a sub at 120hz

cheers fergs

scorpion

« Reply #116 on: 23 Nov 2006, 09:52 pm »
fergs1,

We have agreed upon that people enjoy the B200 differently for a lot of reasons. But why did you test ?

/Erling

markC

« Reply #117 on: 23 Nov 2006, 10:18 pm »
I agree that the filter takes away a little of the "zing" of the b200's, but it's a trade off to tame the sting of the mid range. On some recordings, sans filter is great, (and I can really crank my sub's volume), but on most, I prefer them with the filter. I think that it comes down to personal preference and the room that they are playing in. To me, the hot spot of the mid range was very excting for a while with it's very lively sound, but alas it wore on me over time. Hey, however you prefer the sound served up is not as important as whether or not you are enjoying it.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #118 on: 24 Nov 2006, 12:53 am »
Looking forward to hearing the zing from those on Sunday Marc. :thumb:

Cheers

fergs1

« Reply #119 on: 24 Nov 2006, 08:17 am »
greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, Scorpian just reporting my findings thats all. The reason I tried it at all was that I listen to  a lot of music from different eras and different recording SQ.I was thinking of having the circuit which could be used at the flick of the switch to tame down the "hotties" and flick it off for everything else.Even on the hottest recordings I couldn''t live with the lack of definition and loss of sounstage and imaging. For the record I used a mundorf 1mh inductor and tried mox at 5.6ohm and 7.8ohm.I found I had more luck turning the sub up a bit more to bloat the bottom end a bit and it seems to my ears a much  more satisfying sound, especially on recording like mid 60's Dylan and the such. Plus my drivers get used all day everyday and so I think they have mellowed quite a bit over the last 3 months which although Ive noticed the initial breakin happen fairly quickly I could imagine it could take a year to become static.                               cheers fergs