My New Vinyl Adventure--Building a Turntable

Bob Stark

Re: My New Vinyl Adventure--Building a Turntable
« Reply #100 on: 6 Oct 2016, 04:29 am »
Nice looking table and arm.  I just got a Trans-Fi Terminator arm recently to put on my custom Lenco build--over 100 lbs. with many of Jean Nantais' mods.  I've heard it with an Origin Live Silver II arm and it was very nice.  Looking forward to having the straight line tracking air bearing tonearm again.  Used to have a Maplenoll Ariadne and loved the sound.  The potential for an air leak or pump failure was too high and I sold it about 6 years ago. 

Looking forward to more of your observations on the sound of your unit.  Good Luck and enjoy the music.

ACHiPo

« Reply #101 on: 6 Oct 2016, 01:08 pm »
Nice looking table and arm.  I just got a Trans-Fi Terminator arm recently to put on my custom Lenco build--over 100 lbs. with many of Jean Nantais' mods.  I've heard it with an Origin Live Silver II arm and it was very nice.  Looking forward to having the straight line tracking air bearing tonearm again.  Used to have a Maplenoll Ariadne and loved the sound.  The potential for an air leak or pump failure was too high and I sold it about 6 years ago. 

Looking forward to more of your observations on the sound of your unit.  Good Luck and enjoy the music.
Bob,
Our builds sound similar, although the mass of mine is quite a bit less than yours.  The Lenco rebuild included a Si3N4 spindle bearing, a new precision idler wheel, PTFE idler bushings and a brass idler clamp replacing the circlip.  I also damped the idler arm with Teflon and silicone tape.  I still have Dynamat to add a bit more mass to the pan and motor, but wanted to get it up and running for a baseline before additional tweaks.

The TransFi arm is sounding fantastic, even with the inexpensive AT100E stylus--much better than the 150 MLX sounded with either the Pioneer or WTT arm.  I plan to swap in the 150MLX stylus tonight and give it a listen.  I bought a second wand so I can swap between MC and MM relatively easily.  I am very impressed with the sound of the TransFi arm, and it was amazingly simple to dial in, although I still need to get the Adjust+ record out for final alignment of both arms.

Listening to a little Paul DeLay this morning...

TomS

« Reply #102 on: 6 Oct 2016, 03:15 pm »
Bob,
Our builds sound similar, although the mass of mine is quite a bit less than yours.  The Lenco rebuild included a Si3N4 spindle bearing, a new precision idler wheel, PTFE idler bushings and a brass idler clamp replacing the circlip.  I also damped the idler arm with Teflon and silicone tape.  I still have Dynamat to add a bit more mass to the pan and motor, but wanted to get it up and running for a baseline before additional tweaks.

The TransFi arm is sounding fantastic, even with the inexpensive AT100E stylus--much better than the 150 MLX sounded with either the Pioneer or WTT arm.  I plan to swap in the 150MLX stylus tonight and give it a listen.  I bought a second wand so I can swap between MC and MM relatively easily.  I am very impressed with the sound of the TransFi arm, and it was amazingly simple to dial in, although I still need to get the Adjust+ record out for final alignment of both arms.

Listening to a little Paul DeLay this morning...
Good to hear it's working out for you and the table looks beautiful!

Please share the setup process with the Adjust+ on the T3Pro, as I'm not quite sure how you'd use it for this arm. Generally I've found the T3 not to be fussy at all with setup, once everything was square and level. The very low air pressure required also makes it much more live-able than the ET3 I used to have long ago, with surge tanks and such. I'm using mine with a Miyajima Kansui and though it's very low output, it sounds terrific on the Terminator.

Folsom

« Reply #103 on: 6 Oct 2016, 05:55 pm »
Here's an article on finishing up the ultimate in sound quality, that I was talking about.

I'm excited about when I get to build one now. This thread may be my undoing, I'm sure I'll start sooner because of it!

And I'm seriously thinking about the Terminator, now, too.

My build will be a bit more complicated due to the way I want to arrange the first platter as a flywheel, and have a second that only touching in the center so it will be isolated from a significant amount of the noise of the idler wheel.

ACHiPo

« Reply #104 on: 6 Oct 2016, 07:35 pm »
Good to hear it's working out for you and the table looks beautiful!

Please share the setup process with the Adjust+ on the T3Pro, as I'm not quite sure how you'd use it for this arm. Generally I've found the T3 not to be fussy at all with setup, once everything was square and level. The very low air pressure required also makes it much more live-able than the ET3 I used to have long ago, with surge tanks and such. I'm using mine with a Miyajima Kansui and though it's very low output, it sounds terrific on the Terminator.
Tom,
I've got to admit I'm not sure how I'll use the Adjust+ just yet.  Obviously I can use it for setting azimuth, but I was amazed how easy it was to dial in the alignment from the get go.  Not having to worry about a pivot makes things much easier.

About the only things that I'm not crazy about with the Terminator are placing/removing records is tricky--will want to stick to digital or mono if wine is involved--and getting at the stylus to clean is a bit challenging, but that's because of the way I installed it rather than the tonearm design itself.

I'm delighted with the performance I'm getting.

AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #105 on: 6 Oct 2016, 07:38 pm »
Here's an article on finishing up the ultimate in sound quality, that I was talking about.

I'm excited about when I get to build one now. This thread may be my undoing, I'm sure I'll start sooner because of it!

And I'm seriously thinking about the Terminator, now, too.

My build will be a bit more complicated due to the way I want to arrange the first platter as a flywheel, and have a second that only touching in the center so it will be isolated from a significant amount of the noise of the idler wheel.
Folsom,
There are a lot of stacked platter designs on LencoHeaven, although it sounds like your concept is almost like a Kronos?

Thanks for the link to Fremer's azimuth article--I'll check it out.

Building the table was fun for me, and I got the chance to learn quite a bit, including veneering, which I will definitely do more of in the future.  The Lenco is a pretty nice foundation for a hot-rod table!

I am still intrigued by the concept of resin and bentonite for a plinth, but had I tackled that I'd still be working on it, so I'm glad I stuck closer to my comfort zone.

AC

Folsom

« Reply #106 on: 6 Oct 2016, 08:17 pm »
No, not like the Kronos. The Kronos has a motor applied to the top platter. My sole intention really is to avoid just that.

I'm thinking I'll use corian cutting boards.

TomS

« Reply #107 on: 6 Oct 2016, 08:20 pm »
Tom,
I've got to admit I'm not sure how I'll use the Adjust+ just yet.  Obviously I can use it for setting azimuth, but I was amazed how easy it was to dial in the alignment from the get go.  Not having to worry about a pivot makes things much easier.

About the only things that I'm not crazy about with the Terminator are placing/removing records is tricky--will want to stick to digital or mono if wine is involved--and getting at the stylus to clean is a bit challenging, but that's because of the way I installed it rather than the tonearm design itself.

I'm delighted with the performance I'm getting.

AC
Check these mods out. I already have the nylon grub screws from Vic.

https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/terminator-tonearm-pt-iii-stop-the-chatter/

ACHiPo

« Reply #108 on: 7 Oct 2016, 04:10 am »
Check these mods out. I already have the nylon grub screws from Vic.

https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/terminator-tonearm-pt-iii-stop-the-chatter/
It looks like my arm came with the nylon grub screws?

The rubber transom looks interesting, but I think I'll rock with my current get-up for the time being.

ACHiPo

« Reply #109 on: 7 Oct 2016, 04:12 am »
I swapped the 150 MLX stylus for the 100E.  Things seem to have gotten a bit better, but not by a huge margin.  Then again I'm listening to punk rock recorded in 1981, so that could have a little bit to do with the sound quality.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #110 on: 7 Oct 2016, 01:09 pm »
Beautiful table Evan. 

Have you thought about adding mass?  Maybe you could put some metal/lead on the bottom and not mess up the look. 

neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #111 on: 7 Oct 2016, 02:20 pm »
Beautiful table Evan. 

Have you thought about adding mass?  Maybe you could put some metal/lead on the bottom and not mess up the look. 

neo
Neo,
I may do that--I've got about 5 lbs of lead I can apply in addition to the Dynamat.  I still need to add the steel bearing brace on the bottom of the plinth, so when I do that I'll see what else I can do.  I figure the plinth is about 40 lbs.  The TransFi doesn't weigh much, but the Pioneer arm and Lenco add about 15 lbs, so the whole thing is 55-60 lbs.

Right now I'm listening to a mono Nilsson Pandemonium Shadow Show and it sounds awesome.

AC

Folsom

« Reply #112 on: 7 Oct 2016, 05:08 pm »
You're not done till you need a freight elevator and a beastly handtruck.

This is super cool. Expensive, but time saving and probably a good investment for a turntable nut. I'm thinking if I ever get all the tools I'll provide a service to people to setup their tables.

ACHiPo

« Reply #113 on: 7 Oct 2016, 09:49 pm »
You're not done till you need a freight elevator and a beastly handtruck.

This is super cool. Expensive, but time saving and probably a good investment for a turntable nut. I'm thinking if I ever get all the tools I'll provide a service to people to setup their tables.
Folsom,
I looked at the Fozgometr, but ultimately decided on Feickert.  It works very well, and is not a uni-tasker.

AC

Folsom

« Reply #114 on: 7 Oct 2016, 11:24 pm »
I think what Pete is talking about sounds great. Here's the software.

But to be perfectly honest I don't believe it could be much better than my ears and adjustments. At least not on my table as I cannot anymore finely seem to adjust it due to cheapness. One you hit the correct azimuth it's like a huge upgrade in the depth of the music you get. This may not be easy for everyone to do by ear - I practice changing stuff and listening very frequently when I'm designing audio stuff and have nothing left but subjective [negligible measurements] aspects to toy with.

dB Cooper

« Reply #115 on: 8 Oct 2016, 12:04 am »
Hey ACHiPo, good call on that Paul DeLay... I don't know that particular album, but great, underappreciated player and singer.

ACHiPo

« Reply #116 on: 8 Oct 2016, 06:34 am »
Hey ACHiPo, good call on that Paul DeLay... I don't know that particular album, but great, underappreciated player and singer.
DB,
Thanks.  I saw him a few times in Portland.  Great harp player, but destined to live the blues.  Died much too young.
AC

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #117 on: 8 Oct 2016, 01:28 pm »
Neo,
I may do that--I've got about 5 lbs of lead I can apply in addition to the Dynamat.  I still need to add the steel bearing brace on the bottom of the plinth, so when I do that I'll see what else I can do.  I figure the plinth is about 40 lbs.  The TransFi doesn't weigh much, but the Pioneer arm and Lenco add about 15 lbs, so the whole thing is 55-60 lbs.

Right now I'm listening to a mono Nilsson Pandemonium Shadow Show and it sounds awesome.
AC

I must have misread your previous post talking about the weight relative to your WTT.  55-60 lbs. is rather substantial.   Not sure how much good extra mass would do, but lead is a terrific vibration killer.   Considering the plinth is made out of one kind of ply, that 5 lbs. might help?

You did a great job with the plinth, it's a thing of beauty.
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #118 on: 8 Oct 2016, 02:24 pm »
I must have misread your previous post talking about the weight relative to your WTT.  55-60 lbs. is rather substantial.   Not sure how much good extra mass would do, but lead is a terrific vibration killer.   Considering the plinth is made out of one kind of ply, that 5 lbs. might help?

You did a great job with the plinth, it's a thing of beauty.
neo
Neo,
Thanks.  I'm pretty particular, and while it's not perfect, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

The plinth is actally two materials--Baltic Birch (BB) plywood and MDF.  The top two layers of BB are a "glulam" using wood glue to bond them (minimal damping, just mass).  The layers below are alternating MDF and BB bonded with elastomeric polyurethane adhesive for constrained-layer damping.  The tonearms are mounted rigidly to the lower layers, with the idea being vibrations from the motor, idler, and bearing have to go down into the CLD, getting damped before going back up to the tonearms.  The whole thing sits on Herbies Gliders feet, which sit on a 3" slab of ~18"x42" maple (~50 lbs), which sits on Herbies Grunge dots and a solid maple rack.

It seems to work.  Not only do both tonearms sound great, but I have to rap very hard on the plinth to hear anything through the stylus.  I can jump up and down and thump on the shelf and rack with nothing audible through the stylus.

I did add lead to the Pioneer arm board, but there are other strategic spots I can beef up as well.

AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #119 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:03 am »
I've started reading about this stuff...

How much power does the motor take? I believe I have an easy way to adapt a 50hz to 60hz.
Folsom,
I recently saw somewhere that the motor is 10W.

AC