If you can build IKEA furniture, these will be a breeze. H Frame Flat Packs

SoCalWJS

Looking good so far! (As in, I think even I might be able to do it - so far :green:)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Nothing is difficult.  The clamps are very easy to use.  The clamps also make it easy to align the mounting dowels and holes to get everything to push together.  Then use the clamps to pull the panel to the baffle tight for the glue to set.

Once I get the top and bottom panel on, just have to put on the strap to clamp it to finish glue drying.

I am going to commit sacrilege and use fast-on connectors to the speaker terminals.  They make cold weld connections if you know how to crimp properly.   Will be wired up before woofer install.  Through holes are already in the baffle for wire feeds.

The hardest part is wiring up the Neutrik Speakon connectors, as the wire is solid core and stiff.  Still not a big issue.  Going to use 14awg Romex wire from the fast-ons to Speakon connectors.  I get it at the local Lowes as Romex 14-2 and remove the jacket and ground line.   Probably 50' will do both speakers. 

The woofer mounting holed are pre drilled, so just install the woofers and screw them down. 

More pictures as I finish them.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Second side panel attached.  Now for 24 hours of glue drying.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Second H-Frame has the sides glued on and clamps to let it dry.

Tomorrow will be the end caps and straps for another 24 hours and then time to install the 8" servo woofers for wiring.

Lowes had 50' spools of stranded 14awg THHN wire in red and white, so will use that to wire up the drivers to the Speakon connectors. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
HAL,

Can that standard 14awg THHN wire be used for long runs such as speaker wire, running from your amp to the speakers ?

Or do you just use it for internal speaker wiring and not for long runs...?

thanks,
Virgil

HAL

• Industry Contributor
It can be used for long runs.  Lower DC resistance than 16awg.  I normally just use it for internal wire, since it is hard to get Teflon coated copper wire that gauge.

It is pretty stiff, so you might want to hold the two wires together by twisting it.  Since it is 14awg stranded, should hold up to vibration and movement.

Runs about $51 for 100 feet total.  Bought two 50' rolls of white and red.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Gluing on the top and bottom panels:

Putting on the straps to let the glue dry:

Now let it all dry and do the second H-Frame. 

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
That is a lot of glue  :o

HAL

• Industry Contributor
It fills up the space nicely when it goes under pressure.  I just wipe the excess off.

Everything is very solidly attached with that amount so far on all the joints.

Guy 13

Hi Hal,
looking at all your pictures of your built,
I would say that putting it together is easier than putting together some IKEA stuff
I bought long time ago...

Guy 13

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Guy13,
I would agree with some of the IKEA furniture I built over the years.

The second H-Frame is glued and drying.

Tomorrow will be installing the 8" servo woofers and wiring.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
It looks like Ruben really made it easy for people without tools or wood working skills.

Looking forward to your impressions of the 3 eights, I'm pretty blown away with the two 12s in my new Super Vs.

Greg

HAL

• Industry Contributor
I am already very familiar with the 3x8" servo sub array sound in my U-Frames with the 8" full range driver.  They sound great!  Not quite as much impact as the 2x12" in my Super-V's, but for this application will make great sound. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
H-Frames completed and ready for driver install.

All the pieces are lettered for correct assembly of the H-Frame.

Guy 13

H-Frames completed and ready for driver install.

All the pieces are lettered for correct assembly of the H-Frame.

The H-Frames are reading fir the drivers, but you will paint them first, will you ?

Guy 13

HAL

• Industry Contributor
No painting for me. 

Waiting to hear from Skiing Ninja when he might be able to do the red finish. 

Easy enough to remove the drivers and wiring when that can happen.  Until them MDF brown will work.  No WAF in my listening room!

Guy 13

No painting for me. 

Waiting to hear from Skiing Ninja when he might be able to do the red finish. 

Easy enough to remove the drivers and wiring when that can happen.  Until them MDF brown will work.  No WAF in my listening room!

Hi HAL,
good, got that !

Guy 13

jparkhur

Hopefully he will paint them with car paint..Shiny, glossy, Gary's turned out well when sprayed with reducer.. or spray bed liner....

P

Guy 13

Hi,
the carpenter that made, paint and installed the French doors in our bed room used car diluted paint
and the result is stunning and it's durable and washable and glossy and, and...

Guy 13

HAL

• Industry Contributor
The idea is to get them finished in Ferrari Red with racing stripes at some point.  Skiing Ninja has access to the correct color paint.