Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #180 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:23 pm »
Your Steelers are out of the playoffs because they SUCKED this season.  Just like my Ravens!   :duh:

Eagles fan.. classy as always.

Blam!  Hit with both barrels, ouch.  All in good fun.

I agree the Steelers would not have deserved their playoff spot judged by their play during the season, mediocre at best.   However it was quite clear that the Chargers were lined up illegally on the Chief's final field goal attempt in regulation and the refs missed it.  With another try 5 yards closer I have to believe the Chiefs kicker wouldn't have screwed the pooch twice and the Steelers would have been the 6th seed in the playoffs.  They would have deserved to lose in the first round so it's a moot point, but they did once come from the 6th position to win the Superbowl.  Not this team though.

The Cowgirls do suck and they've sucked for a long time.  All that talent and all that money spent with nothing to show for it.  The very definition of sucking.  The Eagles have underperformed in the last decade or so, certainly nothing to brag about, but nothing like the Cowgirls dismal record.  And the Eagles are on the rise with a bright future in store, the Cowgirls are a mess on and off of the field.  Out of the NFC East, only the Eagles show any sign of life, any real hope of success in the future.  Maybe Jay Gruden can revive the Skins, maybe Eli will return to form, not likely without a better supporting cast.  Only the Cowgirls remain stagnant, same old coach, same old QB, same old front office.  I almost feel sorry for their fans, almost.   

jackman

« Reply #181 on: 10 Jan 2014, 06:53 pm »
Good games this weekend (last weekend's games turned out to be great).  I'm sorry the Packers couldn't pull it out but Rodgers, even rusty, showed why he's one of the best.  I can't imagine the numbers that guy would put up if he had the Bears' receivers.  IMO, the Bears had the best group of receivers in the game and were only missing a good QB.   They are chained to Cutler for a long time and it saddens me because I don't think he has the right temperment for this offense.  He's got a very strong arm but makes too many bad decisions.  His backup, Mccown looked awesome in relief and I was sorry to see the Bears sit him down in favor of the Golden Boy, Cutler. 

All of the matchups for this week are going to be difficult to call.  Seattle has looked unbeatable at home until recently, the Pats have so many injuries but continue to play tough, and they are tough at home.  Indy showed guts last week and clutch play from Luck, even though he looked very bad at times.  Is Carolina for real?  We will find out!  Does Sandy Eggo have Manning and the Bronco's number?  They spanked the Broncs a few weeks ago.  We will see if it was a fluke.  The NFL is so much more fun, IMO, than other sports because it comes down to a one game matchup and anything is possible.  I was sorry to see the Chiefs lose that game because Alex Smith played so well.  I'd take him over Collin K any day, even though he is not as good a runner.  I'd trade Cutler for Smith in a heartbeat!  Heck, I'd trade him for Romo, Matt Ryan, Ben Rothlesberger, and a number of guys in a second.   

I was hoping the Bears would have taken a chance on Johnny Football but the Cutler extension shoots that one out of the water.  Hope this kid doesn't get stuck somewhere like Oakland, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tampa, St. Louis, or the Vikings.  Those are not good places for a QB...It would be cool to see him wind up somewhere with a good offensive system like New England (how many years does Brady have left?), Dallas, or even Arizona (throwing to Larry F).  He might be a bust or he might be a more athletic version of Drew Breese. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #182 on: 10 Jan 2014, 07:58 pm »
Just watched a replay of the Denver-Dallas game in Jerry's World.  Damn!  I don't think I've ever seen Romo play better!  I mean he was money and the Pokes would have won that with just a little better defense.  But, that's what Jerry gets post Rob Ryan.  The numbscull. 

I think Seattle wins this weekend to my displeasure.  They have a good coach, also, and it's in their playpin.
Think I'll pick New England just cause of Bellachick and Brady but they are playing w/o key players, so :dunno:
I'm hoping SF wins :roll:
I think Denver and San Diego will be a very entertaining game 8).

jimdgoulding

« Reply #183 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:43 pm »
Amendment:  Have to give the edge to Indy.  They must be so fired up and can score a lotta points.  I think the Pats are just too thin.

jackman

« Reply #184 on: 11 Jan 2014, 04:17 pm »
Just realized I never mentioned my picks!  This is a tough one because, even though the lines may state otherwise, all four games can go either way.  The Pats have so many injuries, the Colts looked Whaley at home last week, the Saints beat a hot Philly team on the road and Sandiego beat Denver soundly a few weeks ago.  It's tough to beat a good team two times in such a short timeframe, and Denver should play better this week.

Picks:
Carolina over the Niners - San Fran barely got by a depleted packer team last week.  I think Carolina's defense is going to give Kap major problems.

New England over Indy - I want I pick Indy but the Pats are so tough at home. And they have the best coach in the game.  I would rather see Indy win but the Pats have too much experience.

Seattle over the Saints - the Saints played well against a surging Philly team last week, in Philly.  Seattle is he beat home team in the game and I can't pick against them.  Should be a fun game to watch!

Sandiego over the Broncos - this is my major upset pick. You will know who is going to win this game within the first ten minutes.  If the refs allow the DBs to get physical with receivers (as they did the last time the teams played) , I like the Chargers. If they call a tight game, the broncos win.   It's the playoffs and refs usually let them play, so I'm going with the visiting team in a major upset. The NFL wants Manning in the SB because he's better for ratings than a Charger team that no one outside if Sandy eggo cares about. 

Sorry about all of the typos.  I'm on a smart phone and have trouble proof reading.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #185 on: 11 Jan 2014, 05:00 pm »
Seahawks by 5 over the Saints, so take the points, but a Seattle win outright.
Pats by 3 over the Colts, again take the points, but a NE win.
The Niners-Panthers is a pick'um game with .5 points to the Niners by my calculation with the line at -1 Niners, but Carolina's defense at home makes me lean that way.  However I'll say the Niners by one point in a miracle finish from Kap, making the betting a push.
Denver over San Diego by 10 points, give the points in a surprising confirmation of the point spread.   
YMMV

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #186 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:50 pm »
I'm a Seattle native so GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #187 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:55 am »
Well Greg, your 'hawks looked very assertive out there today.  Congrats.  They are going to be formidable at home for any opposing team.  I wanna visit Seattle soon, btw, and might need some tips.

sts9fan

« Reply #188 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:28 am »
Amendment:  Have to give the edge to Indy.  They must be so fired up and can score a lotta points.  I think the Pats are just too thin.

Go Pats!!!!!!!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #189 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:10 pm »
Seattle's 12th man really made a difference yesterday, causing two NO timeouts earlier in the 2nd half that may have affected their ability to get a semi-miracle tying touchdown and 2 point conversion at the end to tie for overtime.  Assuming the Saints would be lucky enough to still get the onsides kick with different circumstances, they way they were moving the ball if they had say, a minute and a half instead of 26 seconds it may have been a closer affair.  But as they say, if Ifs and Buts were Soups and Nuts a Merry Christmas it would be.  Seattle's play in all facets of the game had them deserving the win and gives them an odds on favorite role against either opponent next week.

NE seemed in control of the game throughout with their smart defensive play and ground 'n pound running game.  Luck was out of his depth from the git go, looking unsure, not pre-reading the defense, not calling effective audibles.  And when Indy had a chance for a lucky play, it goes out of the endzone for a safety, 2 points instead of 7.  An interception on the ensuing possession and there was no redemption from there.

Both games could have been a lot closer, but the football gods saw fit to not have any silly bounces and the best and most deserving team won in both games.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #190 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:42 pm »
Go Pats!!!!!!!
What was I smoking.  Go Pats.  AFC winner please beat Seattle in the SB.  I would personally like to see Brady do that.

roscoeiii

« Reply #191 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:55 pm »
What was I smoking.  Go Pats.  AFC winner please beat Seattle in the SB.  I would personally like to see Brady do that.

Really want the Pats to win another Super Bowl? Ugh. And just after the Red Sox won the World Series. Talk about making NE fans insuffurable (well more insufferable than normal).

From my POV, any of the NFC teams are far preferable to any of the AFC teams still in the playoffs.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #192 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:06 pm »
Interesting development, Denver has lost a point in the spread down to -8.5 and the money has switched big time, down to a 50/50 split.

SF has moved -.5 point to a -1.5 point fav, and the money heavily favors them running around 75% and that side.  I would expect some late movement on the line.

jackman

« Reply #193 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:09 pm »
The Hawks were ver fortunate to come away with a win.   When NO recovered that onside kick things got interesting for one play.  What a bonehead move by that receiver.  The Hawks played great defense but they will need to have a little offense if they expect to get anywhere.  Wilson looked pretty bad.

As for Luck, it's tough for any young QB to go into NE and beat that team.  They are just too smart and Indy doesn't have the weapons to beat them on the ground. It was a pretty close game for most of the night...until it wasn't.   This years Pats team is interesting.  They are so smart and well coached, it's hard for me not to like them. 

I picked two upsets today, Niners and Broncos are going down!   Anything is possible but what the heck, it's about time we get a couple upsets.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #194 on: 12 Jan 2014, 08:03 pm »
Not so fast, Jackman --- zebras are going to hand deliver this game to S.F. The calls and non calls are steering it into Harbaugh's hands.

For my money, Panthers look like the better team. Too bad that is not always enough.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #195 on: 12 Jan 2014, 08:54 pm »
Time to rescind previous comment written at end of halftime. Now there are only a couple of minutes left in the game and Cam Newton has taken the game out of the hands of the refs and made sure himself that Carolina's season would end today. Serious meltdown.

Next up, I fully expect my Broncos to shit the bed. Defense wins championships and they don't have much.

TomS

« Reply #196 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:50 pm »

Next up, I fully expect my Broncos to shit the bed. Defense wins championships and they don't have much.
Oh yes I can see that for sure. SD just has something a little special going on. We shall see if they can do it again to the Broncs.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #197 on: 12 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm »
Really want the Pats to win another Super Bowl? Ugh. And just after the Red Sox won the World Series. Talk about making NE fans insufferable (well more insufferable than normal).

From my POV, any of the NFC teams are far preferable to any of the AFC teams still in the playoffs.

I'm looking forward to being more insufferable than usual. Just think if the Bruins win the Cup. You won't be able to live with me. Now only if the C's would tank.

Doc

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #198 on: 12 Jan 2014, 11:00 pm »
While I'm bummed the Saints are out, I'm super happy with the resurgence of their D. C'mon next season!!!  :green:

Peyton is this year's MVP, right?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #199 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:19 am »
I found this season to be pretty dull but the playoffs are certainly picking up the pace.
I think this year we'll have a really memorable Super Bowl.
The half time show, well, that's a good time to go get something to eat.