Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #160 on: 13 Dec 2013, 04:41 am »
I don't follow or care about the NFL nearly to the degree I used to.  Partly real life got in the way, just don't have as much time for meaningless games.  Bread and circuses, it's just window dressing to distract the masses from the real issues of the country.  Plus Concussiongate has demonstrated that pro football is just a tax subsidized meat grinder; young bodies go in and blood, guts and cash come out the other end.  I keep up a little but it's a reflex, and a social thing since all my coworkers are nutz about sports.
Good point, Rob.  There is no doubt that American football is a very dangerous sport.  I'd be very leery of letting a youngster play knowing what we know about it.  From my decades in the classroom, I absolutely know that it causes more harm than good in high schools- just a huge distraction from academics.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #161 on: 13 Dec 2013, 01:08 pm »
Agree all the way around about the dangers of the game and the distraction it represents. Bread and Circuses indeed.

It also galls me that the University football coach is the highest paid state employee everywhere, sometimes being paid 20 or 30 times as much as the Governor of that state. What the hell does that say about our priorities as a society? At least the NFL is an actual declared for profit operation, instead of a school masquerading as an amateur environment. U. of Alabama pays Nick Saban about $4.5 million/year while the Governor receives $119,950. Of course, we do not figures on what additional each of them receives from outside sources, but that isn't really part of this argument. Check out your state and see what it is doing about football spending versus government and education.

sts9fan

« Reply #162 on: 13 Dec 2013, 01:34 pm »
As a Pats fan I wad super happy to see Denver go down lad night!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #163 on: 13 Dec 2013, 05:20 pm »
As a Pats fan I wad super happy to see Denver go down lad night!
Do you have a cold? You type like yr nose is plugged.

I was not too surprised about the loss. San Diego has an edge that almost tripped the Broncos last time they played. Mike McCoy, SD's new head coach was Denver's OC last season and knows Manning's thinking and John Fox's boring offensive strategies. Denver usual blows the opposition away with better talent and more depth on offense despite an iffy D. Couldn't do so this time mostly because Denver had a stretch of 13 plays that gained a total of 13 yards between the end of the 1st quarter and early in the third.

I wasn't able to see the game because I won't pay the NFL Network, and I don't really want to stay up that late. I'm a Miami fan this coming Sunday. I like the Pats but I really want the Donkies to succeed this year. Actually, I'm hoping SD wins their remaining 2 games. Also hoping Detroit wins big on Monday.

soundbitten1

« Reply #164 on: 30 Dec 2013, 01:44 am »
San Diego and Green Bay make the playoffs winning exciting games.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #165 on: 30 Dec 2013, 12:22 pm »
San Diego cheated on the final regulation field goal, should be Steelers in the playoffs.  Of course I'm biased, but they had an unbalanced line to KCs left, which may have caused the kicker to go right, and would have given him another chance five yards closer had the refs called it correctly.  San Diego couldn't bear the KC jv team legitimately.  I'm no SD hater, but a refs blown call decides the whole playoff picture putting three teams from the AFC West in?  Balcony, I call b.s.!

roscoeiii

« Reply #166 on: 30 Dec 2013, 02:51 pm »
Oh god were there some punches to the stomach for us Bears fans yesterday.

But ultimately, our D just didn't have what it takes all season. Think we will be shopping for a new D Coordinator in the offseason.

murphy11

« Reply #167 on: 30 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm »
Balcony, I call b.s.!
I call balcony too ;)

It's been the worst season I can remember for awful calls. I'm an Eagles fan and am glad Dallas scored after that blown delay of game call towards the end of the game. Glad we found a way to win fair and square. That would have been one more game decided by the refs.

roscoeiii

« Reply #168 on: 30 Dec 2013, 03:16 pm »
Yeah, I hated that the Rodgers "fumble" --> TD proved to be the deciding factor in the Bears' game. Not that the Bears D was blameless there.

And then there was a ridiculous personal foul call on Shea McClellin:

http://fansided.com/2013/12/29/chicago-bears-flagged-late-hit-aaron-rodgers-gif/

Not that the Bears would have won. But boy those two plays were biggies.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #169 on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:19 am »
I loved seeing Orton throw that game-losing-fourth-quarter interception. :lol:  Clearly he's buckin' for Romo's starting position.

The Iggles have to be the Cinderella Team, right? They were sooo out of contention. Now they're hosting the Saints.  :?   The Saints haven't been able to do a damn thing on the road outdoors; this will be a fun game to watch.

How about Peyton? 55 touchdowns in the regular season?? The Team is the highest scoring in the history of the League. Of all the AFC teams, I can't think of one that can beat them in Denver. Especially on Defense.

I hope Alex Smith makes it farther in the playoffs than Colin Kapernick.

While I wish him no ill will personally, I hope Tom Brady's legs both do what one of Joe Theismann's did.

I hate when there's no Monday Night Football...

Go Saints,

Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #170 on: 6 Jan 2014, 05:50 pm »
Those were some great contests this weekend.  Dunno what happened to the Chiefs in the second half but that's ok by me.  Loved Indy's and Andrew Luck's performance.  Normally I don't root for the 49's cause I'm an old Cowboys fan, but I think they have the best chance of beating Seattle for the NFC.  If New Orleans can some how do it, of which I am doubtful, then I won't have to.  Congrats to New Orleans and San Diego.   Best to ya, fellas.

As an old Cowboys fan, I hereby nominate that their name be changed to "Jerry's Boys".  Some of the TV pundits are referring to the Cowboys stadium as "Jerry's World" already so why not.  Today's Cowboys are so different from the Cowboys of yesteryear I think the masquerade should officially come to an end.  Of course, that's sillv and I'm just kidding. 

But, today's Cowboys will let you down.  Bet on it.  For one thing, they don't have a coach.  Jason Garrett carries water for the owner who thinks he is a coach.  And they don't have a team.  The players are there to earn their paychecks and stay under the owners radar.  The talent is there, oh hell yes, but what is missing is the will and determination and the fabric or constitution that makes a bunch of guys into a team.  The guys in the trenches respect one another, yes, but not their leadership and that would include their QB.  Romo has a good arm and that's about it.  His decision making is suspect and he has failed year after year.  Do you think the players have confidence in him?  Really?  I saw a tape of him on the telly wherein he is rah-rahing the troops on the sideline and not a one of them looked straight at him.  He's Jerry's kid- they know it just like the coach- and finally we're at the problem.  Jerry Jones is a megalomaniacal egoist and will continue to be the fly in the ointment because he can't see the fallacies of his own judgment (and nobody is gonna tell him apparently) and this team is doomed until he does.  The fool outta hire a GM and get the hell out of the way, but I don't think he can.   

Until then, you Cowboy fans will continue to be disappointed and that would include me but I've gotten used to it.  IMO, of course.
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2014, 01:06 am by jimdgoulding »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #171 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:46 am »
Well hell, if we're going to rename the Cowboys and rename their stadium, let's rename Jerry Jones, too.

I vote for Al Davis Jr.

I agree with everything you've said, Jim. Except... I don't think Romo's decision making skills are 'suspect'. I think they are 'proven'. His track record speaks for itself; he consistently chokes. The Cowboys will never play a Super Bowl during Romo's reign.

Go Saints,

Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #172 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:54 am »
Jerry, having nuthin to do with your reply, I'll be pullin for The Saints up in Seattle.  Think I'm all about upsets this season for some reason but I would like for the Patriots to advance even tho I hate that it would have to be at Indy's expense.  Next year, fellas, tho it very well may be this year.  NE has a lot of injuries.   

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #173 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:58 am »
The Saints played a tremendously important game, in Seattle, just last month. They got embarrassed by the Seahawks.  :(

The camera flashed on Sean and Drew talking during the fourth quarter. Both were smiling. I thought "Shit, are they losing this game on purpose to ruin the film?" I decided that there was no way the Saints would do that in such an important game.

I think the advantage goes to the Saints. They now know how to practice to a Seattle game.

Maybe they did lose that game for the purpose of winning this one.  :scratch:

S Clark

« Reply #174 on: 10 Jan 2014, 05:07 am »
It really doesn't matter what the official name is, the fans and media have already dubbed it Jerry World.

As far as the whole Romo= loser thing.... there are probably 20 teams that would start him next year. I really feel that the Boy's overachieved this year, considering how record breakingly bad the defense was.  Safety replaced with a rookie replaced with and UDFA rookie.   The only D lineman to play every game was on the street in July.   I think about 20 different players took snaps on the D line this year- never seen anything like it.  Every starting linebacker missed significant time.  One corner played with a separated shoulder before missing 1/3 if the season.  At one time, they had 5 guys that were basically practice squad or off the street starting.  You can't stop the pass in todays NFL with that lack of talent; starting off the roster guys.

BTW, talking about the Cowboys, got to report that Satfrat is alive and well.  Got an email from him today.  Misses interacting with the AC crowd (most of us anyway).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #175 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:00 pm »
Funny that we have probably the most compelling playoff picture in years and this thread has been the quietest it has been in years.  Even though my Steelers missed the playoffs because of a blown call and my Eagles took a first round bow out, the matchups this week are great.  Both the stories of the teams as a whole and the QB matchups make for great drama.  Luck against Brady in Foxborough, old vet without a team goes against the new kid.  Niners at Panthers with the two youngsters with the big legs and big arms go at it, along with two tough D's.  Brees against the 12th man, outdoors, on the road, does the monkey climb back on despite last week's last minute heroics?  And lastly the least compelling on paper, Denver with the 9 1/2 point spread, unless Rivers makes it a game.  Add in that the money is heavily, I mean heavily, on the underdogs in all of the games bodes well for some awesome action this week.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, the Cowgirls suck.   :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #176 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:12 pm »
Your Steelers are out of the playoffs because they SUCKED this season.  Just like my Ravens!   :duh:

S Clark

« Reply #177 on: 10 Jan 2014, 02:55 pm »
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, the Cowgirls suck.   :lol:

Eagles fan.. classy as always.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #178 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:02 pm »
"I really feel that the Boy's overachieved this year, considering how record breakingly bad the defense was."  But, how could that be??  Emperor Jerry in all his infinite wisdom as the General Manager banished that terrible ole Rob Ryan before the season!

I've been exchanging emails with Satfrat, too, tho I think I'm probably on his sheet list at the moment.  Hey, it ain't my fault!  It's the emperor's fault and Satfrat just can't see that he isn't wearing any clothes!  If he does, he ain't talkin.  Sat has a strong allegiance to the TEAM.  It's legacy.  But, Jones will never sell for the same reason the team is where it is.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #179 on: 10 Jan 2014, 04:19 pm »
Go Seahawks    :peek: