Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

jackman

Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #200 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:32 am »
Good games yesterday.   Today's games were pretty good but Carolina and San Diego did not play well.  They made too many mistakes, and you can't beat teams like Denver and San Fran without good execution. I could not believe all if the bad penalties both losing teams made.  Anyway, today's winners make next week's matchups much more interesting.  I can't wait to see the Niners play their arch rivals, the Hawks, and for two  HOF QBs to face off against each other.  This might be the last time we see a post season Brady/Manning matchup.  Two old masters going head to head!  Cool stuff. 

I thought the losing teams would have put up better fights today but the next two games are going to be exciting to watch!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #201 on: 15 Jan 2014, 01:33 am »
Well Greg, your 'hawks looked very assertive out there today.  Congrats.  They are going to be formidable at home for any opposing team.  I wanna visit Seattle soon, btw, and might need some tips.

Jim,

Anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask. I grew up here so know the area well. This is definitely not the best time of year to come unless you have to, but in a few months things will change for the better and then get down right nice.

Greg

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #202 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:02 am »
The Saints are out, so I have no dog in the hunt.

That having been said, I hope Peyton gets another ring.  :thumb:

On another note, today at the 'water cooler' I heard the 49'ers described as "a bunch of transgendered-white-wine-drinking-beta-males".   :rotflmao:

I love NFL football.  :thumb:

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #203 on: 15 Jan 2014, 11:20 am »
Slightly off topic ... But just read that NFL execs won't consider Rob Ryan for a head coach position because ... wait for it ... his hair is too long!

Is long hair now considered a PED?

( Go Broncos )

soundbitten1

« Reply #204 on: 15 Jan 2014, 02:20 pm »
Slightly off topic ... But just read that NFL execs won't consider Rob Ryan for a head coach position because ... wait for it ... his hair is too long!

Is long hair now considered a PED?

( Go Broncos )

That's like the Yankees' policy of no beards and long hair.

jonbee

« Reply #205 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:43 pm »
Well Greg, your 'hawks looked very assertive out there today.  Congrats.  They are going to be formidable at home for any opposing team.  I wanna visit Seattle soon, btw, and might need some tips.
I'm from Seattle. I think at this point the Hawks have a 55% edge over SF, but not better IMO. Both are good teams; who will play the best?
Jim, Seattle is the best place in the country to be from July5-Sept 15. Best weather and awesome natural beauty which is in the clouds a lot the rest of the year.
If you want any ideas for your visit you can PM me.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #206 on: 15 Jan 2014, 06:31 pm »
Since the money line is -110 on Seattle, your calculations are correct.  The spread is now -3.5 points and doesn't look like it will stay there with the heavy money on San Francisco running about 75/25 on the Frisco side.  An identical story for the other game with money line also -110 for Denver, the spread being -5 points and the money running 80/20 for the underdog New England.  Not unusual for the public to take the points, but 60/40 would be a lot more healthy for the sports books.  If the line doesn't move this week, stay with the favorites as the sharks are riding them and the books will clean up.  As I'm seeing no movement so far, right now I'm predicting a Seattle/Denver Superbowl.  This is subject to change as the weekend gets closer. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #207 on: 15 Jan 2014, 07:45 pm »
I'm from Seattle. I think at this point the Hawks have a 55% edge over SF, but not better IMO. Both are good teams; who will play the best?
Jim, Seattle is the best place in the country to be from July5-Sept 15. Best weather and awesome natural beauty which is in the clouds a lot the rest of the year.
If you want any ideas for your visit you can PM me.
Thank you, jonbee, for your offer.  I will PM you when I can pull a visit off.  I was in San Francisco in November and while I had the coolest time, I was disappointed in the jazz scence, or should I say, the lack of one.  I did have dinner with some fellow hotel guests (the hotel had a guest reception every evening in the lobby) at a hip café in North Beach and was able to hear a Flamenco guitarist.  I mentioned to him that I recognized a tune he played from a Manitas de Plata album that I have and rewarded me and company with a couple more. 

jonbee

« Reply #208 on: 16 Jan 2014, 04:11 am »
I was in San Francisco in November and while I had the coolest time, I was disappointed in the jazz scence, or should I say, the lack of one. 
Seattle is no Chicago, New York, or New Orleans but there are several good clubs here that attract great jazz groups and players, and there is lots of great local jazz players that live around here.
Jazz Alley, Tulas and the New Orleans Café are worth checking out.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #209 on: 17 Jan 2014, 06:01 pm »
Much appreciated.  I have a couple discs from Seattle based OA2 Records.  One by Gail Pettis and it's wonderful and another by trumpet player Thomas Marriott.  I believe that both are based in Seattle.  I understand from AC'er Russell Dawkins who lives in Vancouver that jazz bassist Don Thompson is active on the Seattle scene who I know from his days playing in the John Handy Quintet in San Francisco.  Think I'll try and come up when it's sunny.

Superbowl?  San Francisco and Denver.  Sorry, Jon, but I could be wrong.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #210 on: 18 Jan 2014, 12:24 am »
Later money coming in for Denver and Seattle, the lines remaining the same.  There may be more movement in the money late Saturday early Sunday  The lines are generally holding at -3.5 and -5, except Mirage and Cantor have dropped Seattle to -3, and William Hill has moved to -5.5 for Denver, with Mirage going to -6, so some minor change at this date, not unusual.  Still looking at a very close game with San Fran at Seattle, perhaps one special teams play to decide it, Denver looks to handle Brady's depleted corp.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #211 on: 18 Jan 2014, 01:17 am »
Think I'll try and come up when it's sunny.

Superbowl?  San Francisco and Denver.  Sorry, Jon, but I could be wrong.

jim -  jonb & greg were just pulling your leg on the weather. It's always raining, or cloudy, or cold, or some combination of the above. Today started at 33 with fog, hit 38 with fog, is now on it's way down with fog. Yesterday was the same except I think it made it to 40. Admittedly I'm 30 miles south & a tad east so it is a little nicer up in town by the sound, but the sun is catch as catch can.  :wink:

And yes, I believe you will be wrong come Sunday.

(remember to send me a PM if you're headed up this way  :thumb:)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #212 on: 18 Jan 2014, 01:24 am »
Well, heck yeah, brother Dent.  I will.

soundbitten1

« Reply #213 on: 18 Jan 2014, 03:51 pm »
I'm hoping for a Denver-Seattle Super Bowl.

bummrush

« Reply #214 on: 18 Jan 2014, 06:34 pm »
Denver Seattle weed bowl

jackman

« Reply #215 on: 18 Jan 2014, 08:59 pm »
Denver-Seattle Smoke-A-Bowl!   Those are my picks anyway.  Looking forward to the games tomorrow.  Nothing would surprise me and I'm cool with any combination of teams.

rodge827

« Reply #216 on: 20 Jan 2014, 03:00 am »
So there we have it Denver and Seattle two weeks from now in NJ. :D

How bout Sherman for the best on field interview?   :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #217 on: 20 Jan 2014, 03:05 am »
After seeing Mr. Sherman's interview, all I have to say is Go Broncos!

The winners get the Vince Lombardi Trophy and have to go to Disney World, the losers get a chrome plated bong and a plane ticket home.  What a country. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #218 on: 20 Jan 2014, 03:37 am »
This should be the last cold weather Super Bowl in an open air stadium. What a dumb idea. Play it in warm weather like southern California, Phoenix, or central to south Florida or in a Dome like New Orleans.

Go Broncos!
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2014, 04:10 pm by vinyl_lady »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #219 on: 20 Jan 2014, 08:06 am »
This should be the last cold weather Super Bowl. What a dumb idea. Play it in warm weather like southern California, Phoenix, or central to south Florida.

Go Broncos!

I thought you're from Washington State. Why "Go Broncos!"???

Go Hawks!!

The Seattle defense will get to Manning in the pocket.