Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

jackman

Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #140 on: 25 Nov 2013, 08:10 pm »
jackman, just for info you may be thinking of the old demolished KingDome in that regard. Here's the new field  http://www.centurylinkfield.com/stadium-facts/. Granted the freezing factor is mostly out of the equation, but unless you're in one of the seats, it's open air above, rain, wind, etc.  And we're quite happy with Mr. Wilson & Company if anyone is wondering.   :thumb:

Sorry, my bad!  I should have said, "stadium in relatively warm climate".  Plus, that place is crazy loud and is a huge advantage for the home team.  Denver in December is going to be interesting for Manning.  Of all of the places Manning was rumored to be considering (before choosing Denver), I thought Seattle was the best choice.  SF, Denver, and Seattle were all in the running but he settled on the Broncos.  They have great players on both sides of the ball and Denver is still a dangerous and talented team.  I would have probably picked Seattle because it's less likely to be snowy or windy like SF and Denver.  In fairness, I like all three cities! 

Lastly, you should be happy with Wilson.  He's a good young QB and a future star, but he's no Payton Manning.  Seattle's GM would have taken Manning over Wilson in a NY minute, even if it was only for one or two years.  Wilson looked great last year but he's stumbled a bit this year.  Not as bad as Kaepernick has stumbled!  That guy sucks!  You have to wonder if they are second guessing their decision to let Alex Smith go. 

Cheers,

J

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #141 on: 25 Nov 2013, 08:40 pm »
:::Pats fan disclaimer:::

Imvho Payton proved unwilling to take the game in his hands. Who cares if they rushed for 280 yards?  What did it get them?  The fact that BB disrespected Payton and feared the wind more them him says it all. Then whoa does Payton do? Hands it off. Honestly only during the drive in the 4th did Payton look good. The first TD was D, second a 10yard two play drive, third FG. Was the next something like 35 yards?  Payton looked like a NBA player unwilling to take the final shot.

I think BB deferred so he could close direction. Since the OT is decided more often than not by the kicking game, he took the advantage that the wind provided. As it happens, kicking did decide the game.

I think Manning was following the lead of his very tepid temporary head coach. Denver was out-game-planned. If not for the crazy first half defensive coup, Denver would have suffered an embarrassing blowout. No OT. And they stand an excellent chance of losing two in a row - not because KC is so good but because Del Rio is too damn careful.

If the Bronkies lose to KC next Sunday, they will be in line for the 5th seed and have to play Indy or Cincy on the road. If they beat KC again, they hold a one game edge in the rankings and hold the head to head and Division tiebreakers, virtually assuring themselves of a first round bye and home field all the way. Their last 4 games are pretty reasonable challenges. Titans and chargers at home and Houston and Oakland on the road.

So I'm thinking Denver wins at least 12 games and KC wins at most 11. The Colts and Chargers are waiting for them.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #142 on: 25 Nov 2013, 09:16 pm »
I still think the Chiefs win the division if Hali and Houston play.  Think about yesterday, before they got hurt the Chiefs allowed 3 points in almost a complete half of ball ... after they got hurt they allowed 38 points and 355 yards.  With them in opposing QB's are forced to go to 2 step drops and simplify the offense, without them the QB has all day to do as he wants. 

We've seen the 2nd half fade from Peyton plenty of times in years past, and it's already begun this year. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #143 on: 25 Nov 2013, 09:42 pm »
Yeah, I think the Chiefs win the rematch if those guys are back and healthy enough to impose their will.  They have 20 sacks between them through just over a half of the season- KC is a very different (and diminished) team without them.

sts9fan

« Reply #144 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm »
I think BB deferred so he could close direction. Since the OT is decided more often than not by the kicking game, he took the advantage that the wind provided. As it happens, kicking did decide the game.

I think Manning was following the lead of his very tepid temporary head coach. Denver was out-game-planned. If not for the crazy first half defensive coup, Denver would have suffered an embarrassing blowout. No OT. And they stand an excellent chance of losing two in a row - not because KC is so good but because Del Rio is too damn careful.

If the Bronkies lose to KC next Sunday, they will be in line for the 5th seed and have to play Indy or Cincy on the road. If they beat KC again, they hold a one game edge in the rankings and hold the head to head and Division tiebreakers, virtually assuring themselves of a first round bye and home field all the way. Their last 4 games are pretty reasonable challenges. Titans and chargers at home and Houston and Oakland on the road.

So I'm thinking Denver wins at least 12 games and KC wins at most 11. The Colts and Chargers are waiting for them.

Just my point! BB was more scared of the wind then Payton. Would you do that to Brady?

soundbitten1

« Reply #145 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:24 pm »
To early to pick the teams in the Super Bowl?  How's about Denver and New Orleans.

I'll go with Denver and Seattle. Two west teams playing for all the marbles in Joisey.

Freo-1

« Reply #146 on: 29 Nov 2013, 03:08 am »
Was happy to see the Packers get a first class ass whooping from the Lions.  Serves them right for the silly comments the Packers guard made on the radio.  Even if you really think that, why broadcast it on the radio?  Just makes one look kind of small and silly, not to mention it motivates one's opponent.  Oh well. 

As we used to say in the Service, "The stupid shall be punished". 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #147 on: 29 Nov 2013, 07:39 am »
They're not gonna win many without Aaron Rodgers.  Hell, they were lucky to get a draw against the Vikes! :lol: :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #148 on: 29 Nov 2013, 01:45 pm »
Worried about the Broncos this week. They will have John Fox back on the sidelines come Monday but against KC at Arrowhead we will be stuck with Jack Del Rio, the man who lost to the Pats last week. He's like the ghost of Dan Reeves come back to curse us. Playing to not lose is different than playing to win. As soon as the Broncos fell behind the Pats, Manning led the Broncos down the field to score. But as long as the lead was in place, Del Rio went conservative on offense until the final possession. Then it was too late.
KC will be playing without Justin Houston, their sack leader. He's out for 2-3 weeks. At the other end is Tamba Hali who is second in sacks and playing on a sprained ankle. The stage is set, in other words, for Manning to ring up a lot of passing yards and points. There is no chance of Alex Smith winning a shootout against Peyton. However, if Del Rio goes into clock management safe mode and handcuffs Manning with an endless ground attack, the Bronco offense will be stuck in 3rd and long about half the time, just like in NE.
Del Rio doesn't understand that his offense is a Ferrari - not a rock crawler.

pardales

« Reply #149 on: 29 Nov 2013, 02:10 pm »
Was happy to see the Packers get a first class ass whooping from the Lions.  Serves them right for the silly comments the Packers guard made on the radio.  Even if you really think that, why broadcast it on the radio?  Just makes one look kind of small and silly, not to mention it motivates one's opponent.  Oh well. 

As we used to say in the Service, "The stupid shall be punished".

+1   :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #150 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:26 am »
Interesting 1st half, with a textbook 2 minute drill score to close out it out. I'd expect to see a different group of Saints come the 2nd, but hopefully the same Hawks. The cold & rain is probably on our side, so bring it on ! Go SeaHawks !

jackman

« Reply #151 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:30 pm »
Let me be the first to say Bears' new coach Mark Trestman should be fired after that insane decision at the end of the Vikings game.  The Vikings deserved to win but WTF was Trestman thinking decising to kick a feald goal from 48 yards on second down?  They were moving the ball well on the ground, averaging 5 ypc on the last drive when he decided to kick on second down.  I've never seen that in a game and hope I never do again.  He defended his decision all day yesterday but it was a bunch of crap.  That was a disgrace, like this Bears' season. 

Also, he blow the Detroit game by playing an injured Cutler for most of the game.  The guy could barely stand and could definately not throw or run.  Mccowan came in and moved the ball down the field at will.  Trestman's bad play calling on the 2 point conversion was also disgraceful.  This guy seemed smart and I'm happy Lovie is out of here but I'm starting to question his decisions. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #152 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:40 pm »
Let me be the first to say Bears' new coach Mark Trestman should be fired after that insane decision at the end of the Vikings game.  The Vikings deserved to win but WTF was Trestman thinking decising to kick a feald goal from 48 yards on second down?  They were moving the ball well on the ground, averaging 5 ypc on the last drive when he decided to kick on second down.  I've never seen that in a game and hope I never do again.  He defended his decision all day yesterday but it was a bunch of crap.  That was a disgrace, like this Bears' season. 

Also, he blow the Detroit game by playing an injured Cutler for most of the game.  The guy could barely stand and could definately not throw or run.  Mccowan came in and moved the ball down the field at will.  Trestman's bad play calling on the 2 point conversion was also disgraceful.  This guy seemed smart and I'm happy Lovie is out of here but I'm starting to question his decisions.

Not to mention that Gould the Bears kicker was late to join the team due to the late night birth of a child the night before. Not likely to be at the top of his game. Terrible call. But I will give Trestman some time to see how he works out. He has done some good things for the team, and hopefully he learns from these mistakes.

jackman

« Reply #153 on: 3 Dec 2013, 05:07 pm »
Not to mention that Gould the Bears kicker was late to join the team due to the late night birth of a child the night before. Not likely to be at the top of his game. Terrible call. But I will give Trestman some time to see how he works out. He has done some good things for the team, and hopefully he learns from these mistakes.

No doubt he has done great things for the offense.  Let's hope the pattern of bad decisions does not continue.  He lost that game for the Bears, even though Minn was doing everything possible to give it away.  He also lost the Detroit game.  Playing Cutler hurt was a huge mistake.  Hopefully they will finish strong and take care of the Cowboys on Monday night. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #154 on: 3 Dec 2013, 05:20 pm »
No doubt he has done great things for the offense.  Let's hope the pattern of bad decisions does not continue.  He lost that game for the Bears, even though Minn was doing everything possible to give it away.  He also lost the Detroit game.  Playing Cutler hurt was a huge mistake.  Hopefully they will finish strong and take care of the Cowboys on Monday night.

Agreed. Those two losses can be pretty squarely put on his shoulders.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #155 on: 12 Dec 2013, 05:23 pm »
No one here has commented on the latest transgressions by Jeff Triplette and Jerome Boger. And I've seen no comment about the crazy restrictions on Super Bowl attendance this year. Has everyone at AC just blown off the NFL permanently? Or just lost interest this year?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #156 on: 12 Dec 2013, 05:41 pm »
Has everyone at AC just blown off the NFL permanently? Or just lost interest this year?
Pretty easy for a Cowboy fan since the Meredith days to lose interest this decade year.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #157 on: 12 Dec 2013, 06:03 pm »
I'm willing to share the Broncos with you. While not dynasty material, they are looking strong while Manning still has it and can report for duty.

The jury is still out on Elway but Jerry Jones is a closed topic. As a GM he has etched his name in the annals of failure. Rob Ryan put an exclamation point on that this year.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #158 on: 12 Dec 2013, 06:47 pm »
...And I've seen no comment about the crazy restrictions on Super Bowl attendance this year. Has everyone at AC just blown off the NFL permanently? Or just lost interest this year?

Got to admit I was wondering the same thing.  :scratch:  As I'm only barely a fan since childhood days, I've really only posted a little in support of our Seahawks of late, but I have enjoyed all the banter by those of you who do follow & know the sport. Was very surprised no one had any comments about the Philadelphia game in the snow, what a joy to see 'old time' winter football, ie before doned stadiums. Harkens back to the days of Johnny U, Bart Starr, and so many other greats.

While we didn't get the job done Sun against the '9ers, neither team played a very good game imo. And it's obvious as the 2nd most penalized team in the NFL if we don't get that under control it could derail what's been an otherwise great season. Seems they had the Saints number Mon night a week ago, which was an impressive outing for us.

Yeah, just remember to stay in your parking space, if you can find one, and if you are going to grille in the back of the van keep the tailgate/doors open. Or just drive the pickup.

C'mon jimd, jackman, JerryM, and all you other knowledgeable folks, keep the flow of information coming. macrojack, while the weather wasn't horrible, didn't seem to me Peyton was as affected by the cold as some had predicted in their last game. Good for him, a class act without question.  :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #159 on: 13 Dec 2013, 04:33 am »
I don't follow or care about the NFL nearly to the degree I used to.  Partly real life got in the way, just don't have as much time for meaningless games.  Bread and circuses, it's just window dressing to distract the masses from the real issues of the country.  Plus Concussiongate has demonstrated that pro football is just a tax subsidized meat grinder; young bodies go in and blood, guts and cash come out the other end.  I keep up a little but it's a reflex, and a social thing since all my coworkers are nutz about sports.