Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #100 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:19 pm »
Interesting article about the pro football racket.

How the NFL Fleeces Taxpayers
Taxpayers fund the stadiums, antitrust law doesn't apply to broadcast deals, the league enjoys nonprofit status, and Commissioner Roger Goodell makes $30 million a year. It's time to stop the public giveaways to America's richest sports league—and to the feudal lords who own its teams.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

roscoeiii

« Reply #101 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:23 pm »
Greed has pushed the NFL into a trashy, sensationalistic, showbiz melodrama. Same kind of thing has happened to music, movies, and literature. Corporate manipulation and strangulation has compromised the spirit of it all.

But don't overlook the indie and independent scenes in any of these areas. Puts forth great stuff in all of these areas. Doesn't get the same amount of coverage because of the lack of corporate resources. But great things are being done, and the Internet makes it easier to find them than ever.

On the sports side, I love going to see Roller Derby here in Chicago. Super fun matches and a cool all around scene.

jackman

« Reply #102 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:24 am »
Hey guys, stop crapping on the thread. If you want to start a thread where everyone can complain about the nfl, start it separately from this one. Keep the bull rap out of this one. Trash talking, however, is encouraged.

Let's keep this thread light and fun, please.

cab

« Reply #103 on: 24 Oct 2013, 02:23 am »

Let's keep this thread light and fun, please.

Guess I better not mention the Vikings/Giants fiasco as that crapfest was downright depressing....

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #104 on: 24 Oct 2013, 03:03 am »
Trash talking, however, is encouraged.

Picture of a Beagles quarterback ...

Mike Nomad

« Reply #105 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:49 am »
~
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 03:46 pm by Mike Nomad »

rodge827

« Reply #106 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:58 am »
Picture of a Beagles quarterback ...

Shouldn't there be a truck over the quarterback deer?  :icon_twisted:

E-A-G-L awe screw it...see you at the draft!  :banghead:

Bled out...

Chris

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #107 on: 29 Oct 2013, 11:09 am »
As teams fall by the wayside at the halfway point in the season, trade rumors are swirling.Today is the deadline. Anyone care to predict what's coming down?
The most plausible suggestion I've seen is Jared Allen from the Vikings to the Broncos. I hope it can happen. Dumervil has been sorely missed this year.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #108 on: 29 Oct 2013, 01:35 pm »
Well.....that was about the worst game I've watched all season (and if not for the Seahawks playing as well as they have been I wouldn't have watched many). Three penalties in a row without getting a completed play off.  :shake:  The 'hawks looking more like the old Seaturkeys we've lived with for years instead of conference leaders, but they held on. Kudos to the Rams defense, they kept us on our heals most of the night, and while the 'hawks didn't figure out a way to compensate for the rush in this game they'd best get it together for the next.

Not a big pro sports fan with the possible exception of F-1, but it is fun when you have a winning team. The heartening thing I have noted regarding the Seahawks this season is how they manage to find a way to win when playing poorly. Wilson took too many hits last night, but still kept it together. Hopefully we'll get the remaining 2 starters on the offensive line back soon. That along with the promise of Percy Harvin could make for a very entertaining 2nd half to the season.  Go Seahawks.  :thumb:

geowak

« Reply #109 on: 29 Oct 2013, 01:45 pm »
Interesting article about the pro football racket.

How the NFL Fleeces Taxpayers
Taxpayers fund the stadiums, antitrust law doesn't apply to broadcast deals, the league enjoys nonprofit status, and Commissioner Roger Goodell makes $30 million a year. It's time to stop the public giveaways to America's richest sports league—and to the feudal lords who own its teams.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

This is the most enlightening information in this thread. Thanks for sharing it. Let's hope the fans and non-fans of Pro Football take notice....

Rclark

« Reply #110 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:02 pm »
............ Seahawks!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #111 on: 6 Nov 2013, 02:45 am »
How about Josh McCown last night?  :o    Holy crap, he looked GREAT. The Bears looked like Da Bears.

If I were in Chicago's Front Office, I'd call Mr. Cutler in and kindly explain that, based on the Team's genuine concern for his long-term health, he's benched next week, too.

Aaron Rodgers looks done for the season. I haven't seen a shoulder crater like that since McMahon's.

How 'bout them Jets??  :duh:

Go Saints!

Jerry

jackman

« Reply #112 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:37 pm »
I hope the Bears bench Cutler for at least another couple weeks. The offense is running better now than it ever has, all season at least.  Also, I hope Rogers injury isn't as bad as it appeared. He is a great quarterback, and one of my favorite players in the league, even though he is a packer.

Rumor is, Cutler is looking for $100 million contract. I hope the Bears don't type that kind of money on a player who was injured so often. He's a tough guy, but he frustrates me at times. It will be interesting to see how well they play with his replacement against Detroit. In my opinion, Cutler blew the last game against Detroit with three really bad interceptions and a fumble.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #113 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:01 pm »
I have a feeling if McCowan plays he is going to throw 2 INTs and orchestrate a loss this week and think Cutler might do the same.  Somebody's getting hurt this week.

roscoeiii

« Reply #114 on: 7 Nov 2013, 09:46 pm »
I hope the Bears bench Cutler for at least another couple weeks. The offense is running better now than it ever has, all season at least.  Also, I hope Rogers injury isn't as bad as it appeared. He is a great quarterback, and one of my favorite players in the league, even though he is a packer.

Rumor is, Cutler is looking for $100 million contract. I hope the Bears don't type that kind of money on a player who was injured so often. He's a tough guy, but he frustrates me at times. It will be interesting to see how well they play with his replacement against Detroit. In my opinion, Cutler blew the last game against Detroit with three really bad interceptions and a fumble.

But unless I am repressing some other memories, that Detroit game was Cutler's only stinker so far...

jackman

« Reply #115 on: 8 Nov 2013, 09:41 pm »
But unless I am repressing some other memories, that Detroit game was Cutler's only stinker so far...

Yep, but he hasn't lit it up against anyone so far.  He could have played better against New Orleans and did not look good against Washington, before he was hurt.  He totally sucked against Detriot and I am pretty shocked at how well McCowan has looked this year with limited practice time with the A team.  He has zero turnovers and knows how to get rid of the ball quickly to avoid a sack.  Cutler likes to hang on to it for a long time. 

I heard on the radio that Cutler is playing this week.  Detriot has a good D-line but they suck in their secondary.  The Bears should beat them at home and be in first place this week.  The Packers look to be hozed if Rodgers doesn't come back quickly.  Flynn is back in GB but I hear he isn't going to play until next week.  Seneca Wallace could not have looked worse against the Bears and I hope he continues his poor perfomance into the Eagles game. 

cab

« Reply #116 on: 9 Nov 2013, 01:14 am »
They are said to be bringing Flynn in for a try out next week. The word is his elbow is shot (tendinitis). With the dearth of good, healthy QB's in the league, he must be damaged goods or he would have been claimed of the waiver wire already.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #117 on: 24 Nov 2013, 08:59 pm »
What has happened to Houston?  They are being beaten as I type by a 1&9 team.  Schaub isn't even taking the snap and he- if I'm not mistaken- recently got a 50m contract extention.  Dunno if he is hurt or just cannot do the job.  How unfortunate for Houston.  Don't know how they can deal this man now.  Kubiak needs to go, too, even before Schaub.

I'll take the Giants to beat their rival Cowboys.  Wouldn't mind seeing NY win the Division if they can get around that 8 ball they dealt themselves.     

soundbitten1

« Reply #118 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:02 pm »
Green Bay gains ground on the Bears & Lions with a tie.

Freo-1

« Reply #119 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm »
Green Bay gains ground on the Bears & Lions with a tie.
Yep.  However, if  the Lions win on Turkey Day, then they are in the driver's seat for the division.  If the Lions don't sort out their turnover problem, it will not matter.  :duh: