Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

jimdgoulding

Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« on: 9 Sep 2013, 06:10 pm »
Dang.  Maybe the most impressive team this past Sunday wasn't who you might expect.  Maybe it was the Buffalo Bills!  A couple of games involving teams you might expect were decided by penalties.  Green Bay flat out lost their game vs. SF due to a penalty.  Atlanta vs. New Orleans was a battle to the finish.  Both those teams are contenders for the big prize at the season's end.  The Cowboys won but neither they nor the G'aint's looked particularly good out there.  I'm told Satfrat can't see this topic due to the terms of his restriction.  So, I'll congratulate him, the Cowgirls numero uno fan, in a PM.  I love the Fall season and the fact that its football time just makes it more special.  My family and I were in the Berkshires (northeast U.S.) for a long weekend in October awhile back.  If I had the bucks I'd move there (and become a Pats fan?).  As it is, my home team the Texans are up tonite.  A bunch of my daughter's pals will be invading our premises for the game.  But, against the lowly Chargers, what's there to get excited about.  It's football time, that's what!

SoCalWJS

Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2013, 08:30 pm »
Dang.  Maybe the most impressive team this past Sunday wasn't who you might expect.  Maybe it was the Buffalo Bills!  A couple of games involving teams you might expect were decided by penalties. Green Bay flat out lost their game vs. SF due to a penalty.  Atlanta vs. New Orleans was a battle to the finish.  Both those teams are contenders for the big prize at the season's end.  The Cowboys won but neither they nor the G'aint's looked particularly good out there.  I'm told Satfrat can't see this topic due to the terms of his restriction.  So, I'll congratulate him, the Cowgirls numero uno fan, in a PM.  I love the Fall season and the fact that its football time just makes it more special.  My family and I were in the Berkshires (northeast U.S.) for a long weekend in October awhile back.  If I had the bucks I'd move there (and become a Pats fan?).  As it is, my home team the Texans are up tonite.  A bunch of my daughter's pals will be invading our premises for the game.  But, against the lowly Chargers, what's there to get excited about.  It's football time, that's what!

:scratch:

You mean this play?
http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/09/san-francisco-49ers-green-bay-packers-blown-call/?xid=si_nfl

Quote:

The second blown call was revealed on Monday, when the league said upon review that Staley should not have been flagged, and that the 49ers actually should have had 1st-and-goal from the Green Bay three-yard line. So, the 49ers — who were thought to have received a gift  – were actually put in a hole when they should have been able to try to pound it in from closer inside the red zone.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:10 am »
Uh, the Chargers are up large on the Texans at halftime.  Go figure.  Maybe I'll win the lottery this year cause not much I've expected is turning out the way I expected.   

2wo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:20 am »
How about those Eagles, very entertaining. :thumb:...John 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2013, 05:22 am »
One word.  Ok, two words.  Brian Cushing.  Impressive come back to tie the score.  Ok, defense., how's about another turnover.  The Chargers have the ball with 9 minutes left. 

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:37 pm »
 Hi, I was wondering what all the hype was about RG3 and the Redskins. The only game I really saw all the way through with the Redskins last year was the one where RG3 played with the knee injury. Last nights game finally showed me. The Skins never quit,and even though they lost, they certainly gained my respect. There was no quit in them......Mark Korda

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2013, 01:55 pm »
The Steeers looked like ASS!! Offense was shut out until  the last minute or so.
Also lost  their Probowl center and Larry Foote for the year.
I'm thinking a six game winning season or less.
No offensive line, no running game, key linebacker gone.
I see a long season of futility ahead.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2013, 02:30 pm »

:scratch:

You mean this play?
http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/09/san-francisco-49ers-green-bay-packers-blown-call/?xid=si_nfl

Quote:

The second blown call was revealed on Monday, when the league said upon review that Staley should not have been flagged, and that the 49ers actually should have had 1st-and-goal from the Green Bay three-yard line. So, the 49ers — who were thought to have received a gift  – were actually put in a hole when they should have been able to try to pound it in from closer inside the red zone.

I saw 9er HC Harbaugh state unequivocally he would have attempted TD "...even on 4th on 1, even on 4th and 2..."  If you deny Harbaugh's claim, please supply some evidence to support it.  I've not inspected stats but I'd bet lunch money the 9ers top 80%+ of every stat, regardless how close was the score.

GB fans whining about officiating is incessant and tiresome.  9ers now officially own (3 consecutive wins, two different QBs) GB till further notice.  You can hardly blame GB for their frustration after 9er QB Collin Kaepernick ran for 181 yards vs. GB in the 2012 Semifinal. 

GB's QB and WRs are among the NFL's best. 

9er's Vernon Davis now has more TD's (2 yesterday) vs. GB than any other TE in GB history.

Anything can happen between now and post season.  If the two teams meet later in Post Season, 9ers could have WR Michael Crabtree back on the field playing tag team with WR Anquan Boldin.  For those who watched the game: what do you think about the 9ers getting Boldin for a 6th round pick?     

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:26 pm »
They are awesome, alright.  Boldin showed that he is an asset.  The 49's showed that they are going for the gold in the here and now.  They get a lotta respect from me beginning with their coach.  Green Bay does, too.  These teams along with Atlanta and NO are known commodities.  Who is your sleeper this season?  Seattle, Houston, Philadelphia, etc?  The latter seems to have a good new coach.  Kansas City has former 49'er Alex Smith taking the snaps plus Andy Reid as head coach.  Good on them.  Those poor buggers have been in the basement along time. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:29 pm »
I saw 9er HC Harbaugh state unequivocally he would have attempted TD "...even on 4th on 1, even on 4th and 2..."  If you deny Harbaugh's claim, please supply some evidence to support it.  I've not inspected stats but I'd bet lunch money the 9ers top 80%+ of every stat, regardless how close was the score.

GB fans whining about officiating is incessant and tiresome.  9ers now officially own (3 consecutive wins, two different QBs) GB till further notice.  You can hardly blame GB for their frustration after 9er QB Collin Kaepernick ran for 181 yards vs. GB in the 2012 Semifinal. 

GB's QB and WRs are among the NFL's best. 

9er's Vernon Davis now has more TD's (2 yesterday) vs. GB than any other TE in GB history.

Anything can happen between now and post season.  If the two teams meet later in Post Season, 9ers could have WR Michael Crabtree back on the field playing tag team with WR Anquan Boldin.  For those who watched the game: what do you think about the 9ers getting Boldin for a 6th round pick?     
My post was in response to many fans, specifically GB fans, complaining about the call not being correct.

I am in agreement. Staley SHOULD NOT have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct when he merely grabbed Matthews by the jersey to prevent the situation from escalating. 49ers should have had a First Down and goal at the 3 yard line after Clay Matthews blatant late hit on Kaepernick, then hitting Staley in the head at least twice.

There was much press about the NFL admitting that the Officials blew it with not calling it a dead-ball foul, but there was very little coverage of the part about the NFL saying Staley should not have been flagged.

Firmly believe 49ers would have won regardless. Each time the Pack came back, the 49ers quickly responded.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:38 pm »
They are awesome, alright.  Boldin showed that he is an asset.  The 49's showed that they are going for the gold in the here and now.  They get a lotta respect from me beginning with their coach.  Green Bay does, too.  These teams along with Atlanta and NO are known commodities.  Who is your sleeper this season?  Seattle, Houston, Philadelphia, etc?  The latter seems to have a good new coach.
Sleeper? Seattle?  :scratch:

Last I checked they were Superbowl favorites.

I'm a big time 9ers fan, but I like Seattle as well - that is unless they are playing the 49ers  :green: (I have enjoyed many vacations in the Seattle area and even went to a preseason game between the Seahawks and 49ers in the final year of the old Kingdome)

Sleeper? How about the Chiefs?

I don't think Philly holds up. They're going to get tired in the second half of most games (look at last night) and may run out of juice completely late in the season.

I've become rather cynical about the NFL and who will win - it all comes down to injuries. If any of the favored teams for the Superbowl loses their starting QB for more than a couple of games, it's over for them. SF had the luxury last year of losing it's QB for a couple of games, but they had their future franchise QB ready to take over. None of the top tier of teams has that this year.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2013, 03:44 pm »
Right you are.  Seattle isn't a sleeper.  Jes stirring the pot before smoking it.  Houston isn't really a sleeper, either :dunno:

fredgarvin

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:02 pm »
I don't think Philly holds up. They're going to get tired in the second half of most games (look at last night) and may run out of juice completely late in the season.

Not to quibble, it wasn't weariness in the second half but one of Chip Kelly's strategies. Having watched virtually all of his games at Oregon, getting a quick big lead and slowing down the tempo in the third quarter is common for him. It was a mistake in this game and the Redskins took advantage of it. Many people don't realize that in his quick scoring offense the running game is prominent. LeShean Jackson is a prototype Kelly back. I always thought LaMichael James ran much like Jackson.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:15 pm »
Not to quibble, it wasn't weariness in the second half but one of Chip Kelly's strategies. Having watched virtually all of his games at Oregon, getting a quick big lead and slowing down the tempo in the third quarter is common for him. It was a mistake in this game and the Redskins took advantage of it. Many people don't realize that in his quick scoring offense the running game is prominent. LeShean Jackson is a prototype Kelly back. I always thought LaMichael James ran much like Jackson.
You could be right about the Coach's philosophy. I have just heard many comments about it being difficult for anybody to maintain that high speed Offense for a full season.  :dunno:

As far as LMJ vs Jackson.

I hope LMJ looks good when he comes back, but I think he is willing to give up ground in an effort to make the big play too easily. Running backwards in the NFL doesn't work as often as it does in College where you're the fastest man on the field.

In the NFL, everybody fast.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2013, 04:34 pm »
My post was in response to many fans, specifically GB fans, complaining about the call not being correct.

I am in agreement. Staley SHOULD NOT have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct when he merely grabbed Matthews by the jersey to prevent the situation from escalating. 49ers should have had a First Down and goal at the 3 yard line after Clay Matthews blatant late hit on Kaepernick, then hitting Staley in the head at least twice.

There was much press about the NFL admitting that the Officials blew it with not calling it a dead-ball foul, but there was very little coverage of the part about the NFL saying Staley should not have been flagged.

Firmly believe 49ers would have won regardless. Each time the Pack came back, the 49ers quickly responded.

Well put.  As someone who worked where we allowed Joe Montana (then between marriages) to park his red Ferrari while he visited the Yerba Buena Bar 200 feet east, thanks for your clarification.

GB's defense did very well for about 55 minutes of play.  It was a defensive slug fest (both teams) re. the running game.  Also, in this last critical 5 minutes of play, give Aaron Rodgers huge credit for being on the side line, laughing it up, light hearted, waiting to return to the field, kick 9er arse, and win.  I've seen this side of Rodgers several times and it's infuriating for rooters of his opponents.  I suspect he purposely replicates Joe Montana's action in the 88 or 89 SB (9ers won both), with seconds left on the clock, the 9ers down by a TD.  In the huddle, Joe said to his team mates, "Hey, did you guys see John Candy in the stands?"  His apparently ridiculous and ill-timed question only calmed the offense, and gave them ultimate confidence that the game's destiny was already sealed.   

But unfortunately, after 55 minutes of play, and the lop sided clock TOS (GB's defense on the field longer than 9er's defense), GB defense was spent, especially their 300+ lb linemen (needed to stop Gore and the 9er running game), leaving only a few seconds of play for Rodgers, too little time even for possibly the league's best QB and WRs.

fredgarvin

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2013, 06:33 pm »
You could be right about the Coach's philosophy. I have just heard many comments about it being difficult for anybody to maintain that high speed Offense for a full season.  :dunno:

As far as LMJ vs Jackson.

I hope LMJ looks good when he comes back, but I think he is willing to give up ground in an effort to make the big play too easily. Running backwards in the NFL doesn't work as often as it does in College where you're the fastest man on the field.

In the NFL, everybody fast.

That may prove to be true, especially if they make the playoffs it's a long year.

Chazro

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2013, 07:49 pm »
One word.  Ok, two words.  Brian Cushing.  Impressive come back to tie the score.  Ok, defense., how's about another turnover.  The Chargers have the ball with 9 minutes left.

Jim, surprised you didn't follow up on the game you were watching, just in case yr not aware, yr boys WON!!  Very impressively I might add.  Something like 20+ unanswered points for the win.   Although much-hyped RGIII was pretty tame last night.

Tellyawhat, although I don't expect much from the Jets, Sanchez's replacement, can't remember his name, was like a breath of fresh air on Sun.  They oughtta take a page out of San Francisco's book and leave the rookie in!  He's the only reason to watch when they play against the Patriots this Thur.! 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:34 pm »
Well, Houston barely won.  Their QB worries me and they don't have a field goal kicker.  How about those Seahawks!!  Dallas loses, NY loses, Washington loses.  Not sure, but I think Philadelphia lost, too, in the NFC East.  I guess anybody could win that division.  At least, NY lost to a high caliber team.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2013, 04:10 pm »
It's fair to say that Washington lost to a high caliber team as well. And maybe Philadelphia too.

It's beginning to look like things have turned around sharply. All 4 AFC West teams won yesterday and all 4 NFC East teams lost, three of them to the AFC West.

Only 8 teams are still undefeated after 2 games. A couple of those have barely done so (NE, NO and KC come to mind) and a few of them are pretty likely to fall next weekend. Parity, at last!

My Bronkeys have outscored their opponents by 40 points so far (90 for and 50 agin) and are beginning to look like the Super Bowl team others predicted pre-season.
However, even if Peyton overcomes his alleged postseason curse, I can't see him operating comfortably outdoors in N.J. in February. Can you?
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2013, 07:32 pm by macrojack »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2013, 06:51 am »
I may have to sign the petition asking the White House to appoint a new QB to replace Ponder! :duh: :lol: