Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

K Shep

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #260 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:15 pm »
I asked my guy at Parasound if I should power down my A21, and he said (paraphrasing) "the amp is warmed up in 30 seconds so even though Ma-Bell would like you to leave in on you should turn it off to conserve energy".  He went on to say you can leave it if you like it wont harm the amp, but there will be no audible change (benefit) by leaving the amp powered on.  I just ordered a new set of tubes for my CJ preamp, which was a few bucks.  For me, the amp and pre are powered off.

I realize that my gear probably sounds better warmed up (30 minutes of play) however I turn it on sit down and listen.

My DAC is left on at all times and when my Mac is powered up the DAC awakes from stand-by mode.

Kirk

K Shep

« Reply #261 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:19 pm »
So here's a question for the masses (everyone please weigh in):  Do you guys leave your amps and preamps powered on all day, or do you shut them both off when you're finished listening?

You're assuming we all have separates  :wink:.  We have come along way my friend.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #262 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:40 pm »
Amps always on unless I'm out of town - per Klaus recommendation.  Pre turned off when not in use.  There is a big difference in the first few hours if they've been off for a week or so.  If only off for a few hours (2 or 3), no noticeable difference.

When I had the PS Audio DAC - always on (hardly any power in standby) and it kicks on when the signal is received.
Mark

srb

« Reply #263 on: 25 Sep 2009, 11:57 pm »
I asked my guy at Parasound if I should power down my A21, and he said (paraphrasing) "the amp is warmed up in 30 seconds so even though Ma-Bell would like you to leave in on you should turn it off to conserve energy".

Kirk,  quick sidebar -

I thought the "Bell Companies" (Atlantic Bell, Pacific Bell, Mountain Bell, NW Bell,  Bell Canada, etc.) were only into phones & communications.  Are they also selling power where you live?  Just curious.

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #264 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:04 am »
I asked my guy at Parasound if I should power down my A21, and he said (paraphrasing) "the amp is warmed up in 30 seconds so even though Ma-Bell would like you to leave in on you should turn it off to conserve energy".

Kirk,  quick sidebar -

I thought the "Bell Companies" (Atlantic Bell, Pacific Bell, Mountain Bell, NW Bell,  Bell Canada, etc.) were only into phones & communications.  Are they also selling power where you live?  Just curious.

Steve

When I joined this thread I told myself I would never use the facial message icon, this is the 3rd time today.:oops: Yes Steve, you are correct Pacific Bell was my telephone provider.  PG&E is what I should have wrote.  Thank you for not overly playing that softball I lobbed up for you.

Kirk

srb

« Reply #265 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:15 am »
Good!  Had me worried for a minute.  The Bell System was divested and broken up into smaller companies in the mid '80s to prevent monopolies, and I wanted to know if one of these companies was somehow monopolizing all utilities in an area.

You did say paraphrase, though!

Meanwhile, Frank Van Alstine posted his thought on powering components over in the "AVA/Parasound mini review" thread.

Yay Frank!   :thumb:

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #266 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:55 am »
Busy day keeping up with all of the great topics.

Nuance

« Reply #267 on: 26 Sep 2009, 05:31 am »
Great info, guys.  Thank you!

vintagebob

« Reply #268 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:21 pm »
UPDATE

Jim says they shot the final topcoat on my speakers and that they are ready for final assembly!  Yeah!  Hopefully they will ship sometime in early October.

Do you guys leave your speakers on when you're not listening to them?  ; )

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #269 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:10 pm »

vintageb:

Early October, that is just a week or two away.  That is great.

After I shut down my electronics, I SNIP.   :D

srb

« Reply #270 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:18 pm »

No, after a listening session, I disconnect the speaker leads from the speaker, then connect the speaker terminals to a ground to discharge any remaining electrons hiding in the crossover capacitors.   ;)

Steve

noshortcuts

« Reply #271 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:27 pm »

No, after a listening session, I disconnect the speaker leads from the speaker, then connect the speaker terminals to a ground to discharge any remaining electrons hiding in the crossover capacitors.   ;)

Steve

What a GREAT idea!!! After all, speakers need down time too!   :icon_lol:

Nuance

« Reply #272 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:09 pm »
:lol:  Hilarious! 

Bob,

We look forward to your delivery.  I can't wait to get your impressions! 

xls7

« Reply #273 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:56 pm »
That's great news, vintagebob!  Are you still going to keep this thread updated once yours arrive?

vintagebob

« Reply #274 on: 28 Sep 2009, 12:14 am »
That's great news, vintagebob!  Are you still going to keep this thread updated once yours arrive?

Yes, I intend to keep this thread going for awhile.  These folks have provided a lot of very useful information here!   :thumb:

I also think it is helpful to see the delivery times (understanding that there are a LOT of variables that affect this time).  Besides, I really enjoy seeing everyone's new Salk speakers!

ardee

« Reply #275 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:40 am »
UPDATE

Jim says they shot the final topcoat on my speakers and that they are ready for final assembly!  Yeah!  Hopefully they will ship sometime in early October.

Great news vintagebob!  Looks like it urned out to be a good weekend, eh. 8)

vintagebob

« Reply #276 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:23 am »

Great news vintagebob!  Looks like it urned out to be a good weekend, eh. 8)

ardee, your speakers look KILLER!   :green:

jazzcat1

« Reply #277 on: 28 Sep 2009, 01:51 pm »
Bob, that is great news! As far as this thread topic goes, I think it should just keep going into the future. Great topics and it gives future owners somewhere to Salk  :wink: , "meet" fellow Salk speaker owners, talk about their set-ups and there is a wealth of info here too.

vintagebob

« Reply #278 on: 8 Oct 2009, 05:23 am »
Music to my ears! (Well, almost)   :thumb:

"Bob -

Your speakers are packed and ready to go.

Thanks,

- Jim"

Nuance

« Reply #279 on: 8 Oct 2009, 05:43 am »
^ Yeeeeeees!  Congratulations, and lets pray that the courier who delivers them doesn't rape them, like what happened to another soon-to-be Salk owner's HT3's this week (grantc79). 

I look forward to your impressions.