Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

sfox7076

Re: A Place to Salk While Waiting
« Reply #340 on: 16 Oct 2009, 01:33 pm »
Beautiful.  I am glad to hear that they sound so great.  Looking at the room, I am envious of the space you have.  It looks great. 

I have to take some good shots of my setup once it is all squared away, but it really is just a small Manhattan apartment, so my speakers have to be too close to the wall. 

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #341 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:23 pm »
OK, now I get it.  You should be required to show your AVA invoice before you are allowed to buy a set of Salks.  ; )

Beautiful system! Quick question, do you have the Pioneer & AVA Pre-Amp connected to allow for HT-Bypass? If so, how, as the AVA's don't have a dedicated HT-Bypass output?

I'm considering jumping on the AVA bandwagon after reading so many positive things but I was just wondering how I'd use my Marantz for surround/TV duty.

Thanks,
Mr_Superstar

vintagebob

« Reply #342 on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:08 pm »
OK, now I get it.  You should be required to show your AVA invoice before you are allowed to buy a set of Salks.  ; )

What exactly is the center speaker?  Is that just the sealed HT2 with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees?  Or is that some kind of custom design I did but have forgotten about?

I'm not a 100% sure.  I know that Jim has provided this sealed center to other folks that are using HT2-TLs.  The LCY tweeter replaces the G2 and is rotated 90 degrees.

vintagebob

« Reply #343 on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:22 pm »

Beautiful system! Quick question, do you have the Pioneer & AVA Pre-Amp connected to allow for HT-Bypass? If so, how, as the AVA's don't have a dedicated HT-Bypass output?

I'm considering jumping on the AVA bandwagon after reading so many positive things but I was just wondering how I'd use my Marantz for surround/TV duty.

Thanks,
Mr_Superstar

I am currently using the method that "moeaudio" describes in this thread to integrate my AVA preamp/DAC with my Pioneer AVR (Frank provides another method at the end of the thread):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71366.0

The only thing I'm not sure of yet is if I can add a sub in with the 2-channel setup.

Nuance

« Reply #344 on: 16 Oct 2009, 04:07 pm »
^That method is different than having a true HT bypass, but it works, and that's what counts.

Concerning a subwoofer things get complicated, unless you've got one dedicated for HT and one dedicated for music.  There are ways to hook one up for music, but I don't know how you'd use it double duty for HT as well unless you just moved cables around every time.  Hopefully a subwoofer guru will answer.

xls7

« Reply #345 on: 16 Oct 2009, 09:58 pm »
 :D Got my Song setup (Towers with dome tweeters, center, surrounds) yesterday and I am one happy camper.  I didn't have time to do much yesterday except set up the front three, but my wife and I did manage to squeeze in a little listening and we are quite pleased with the results even pre-calibration and room setup.

My biggest issue now is where to find flat white speaker wire in quantity.  We want a non-permanent, non-damaging, close to invisible run to the surround speakers, which would be a run of ~50-60 feet or so for each side along the baseboards and doorframes on each side.  The current plan is to use flat wire and white putty adhesive (a.k.a. "Blu-tac," only it's white) to stick it to the baseboards/doorframes.  I've ordered 250 ft of 14-gauge Impact Acoustics wire from three different places who claimed to have it in stock, only to have each of them contact me afterwards to tell me they didn't have it in stock.  I'd rather not spend $220 to get 500 feet directly from Cables to Go, but I'm not sure what other options there are.

Can anyone help or offer suggestions?

vintagebob

« Reply #346 on: 16 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm »
:D Got my Song setup (Towers with dome tweeters, center, surrounds) yesterday and I am one happy camper.  I didn't have time to do much yesterday except set up the front three, but my wife and I did manage to squeeze in a little listening and we are quite pleased with the results even pre-calibration and room setup.

My biggest issue now is where to find flat white speaker wire in quantity.  We want a non-permanent, non-damaging, close to invisible run to the surround speakers, which would be a run of ~50-60 feet or so for each side along the baseboards and doorframes on each side.  The current plan is to use flat wire and white putty adhesive (a.k.a. "Blu-tac," only it's white) to stick it to the baseboards/doorframes.  I've ordered 250 ft of 14-gauge Impact Acoustics wire from three different places who claimed to have it in stock, only to have each of them contact me afterwards to tell me they didn't have it in stock.  I'd rather not spend $220 to get 500 feet directly from Cables to Go, but I'm not sure what other options there are.

Can anyone help or offer suggestions?

Yeah!  :thumb:

I added your name to the delivery list on the first page of this thread.  We'll be looking forward to some pictures and observations when you get a chance.  ; )

Sorry, I can't help with the speaker wire.

Nuance

« Reply #347 on: 16 Oct 2009, 10:58 pm »

xls7

« Reply #348 on: 16 Oct 2009, 11:06 pm »
Congrats, xls7!  Welcome to the Salk Family, or Salk Owner's Club...whichever you prefer.  :)  Please post pics when you have a chance.

Concerning the speaker wire:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=flat+white+speaker+wire&oe=utf-8&cid=4059603897439819552&sa=title#p
Thanks - I have already tried CostCentral, NextWarehouse, and TheFinalClick from that list.  All three are actually out of stock on the 14 gauge 100 and 250 foot lengths.  In fact, most of the places listed show it as out of stock or on backorder/special order.  Argh!

I'll just go back to ripping FLACs for a while. . . it's mindless and therapeutic.

Nuance

« Reply #349 on: 16 Oct 2009, 11:09 pm »
^ See above, I pasted three that claim to have them in stock, but I'd call first if I was you.

fishinbob

« Reply #350 on: 17 Oct 2009, 04:46 am »
Flat wire will require some folding over itself if you have to make any lateral turns so you may need something with a little more pucker than Blu-tac to keep it flat and inconspicuous in those areas.
I find single runs of standard wire can be fit under most base if you have carpet, with minimal exposure when transitioning over the base, if it's not too tall, up and over your door casings.

Thanks - I have already tried CostCentral, NextWarehouse, and TheFinalClick from that list.  All three are actually out of stock on the 14 gauge 100 and 250 foot lengths.  In fact, most of the places listed show it as out of stock or on backorder/special order.  Argh!

I'll just go back to ripping FLACs for a while. . . it's mindless and therapeutic.

metier

« Reply #351 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:21 pm »
Congrats, xls7!  Welcome to the Salk Family, or Salk Owner's Club...whichever you prefer.  :)  Please post pics when you have a chance.

Concerning the speaker wire:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=flat+white+speaker+wire&oe=utf-8&cid=4059603897439819552&sa=title#p

parts-express has flat and tape wire showing in stock
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Cat&srchCat=370&CFID=15088487&CFTOKEN=22286224

edit
sorry it looks like all the white flat cable is back ordered here also.

Pat
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2009, 02:39 pm by metier »

vintagebob

« Reply #352 on: 17 Oct 2009, 06:04 pm »
My girlfriend got to listen to the Salk/AVA combo for the first time last night.  I had some Mozart on the turntable because I know she likes classical and while we were listening she turned to me and said,

"It sounds so real!  It's like the people are right here in the room with us". 

Enough said!  She use to play violin in a local youth orchestra in her younger days as well as playing piano at her church so I trust her ears more than mine.

We'll be at the Campbell Oktoberfest listening to a variety of music today and then off to a Diane Schuur Big Band concert tonight at the Campbell Heritage Theater.  Live music!  Yeah.

I'm having FUN!

xls7

« Reply #353 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:13 pm »
parts-express has flat and tape wire showing in stock
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Cat&srchCat=370&CFID=15088487&CFTOKEN=22286224

edit
sorry it looks like all the white flat cable is back ordered here also.

Pat
I know - I signed up for the partsexpress notification at least since I like and trust them though.   :|

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #354 on: 21 Oct 2009, 03:00 pm »
I am currently using the method that "moeaudio" describes in this thread to integrate my AVA preamp/DAC with my Pioneer AVR (Frank provides another method at the end of the thread):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71366.0

The only thing I'm not sure of yet is if I can add a sub in with the 2-channel setup.

Thanks for the info! I've been thinking about the sub problem, as I'd have this problem as well.

Are there two sets of pre-outs on the pre-amp? I think I remember reading that Frank always puts two sets out pre-outs on his pre-amps... If this is the case, you could get/make an RCA switch, connect the 2nd set of pre-outs on the pre-amp & LFE channel of your receiver to inputs on the switch, and the subwoofer as the output. You'd then have to manually switch it. It's not ideal, but it would be better than manually swapping cables.

cgarrett

« Reply #355 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:15 pm »
Been lurking around here for a few months now... Last night I placed my order for the HT1-TL in curly walnut  :D

Now I just have to wait! Hopefully the time will pass quickly..

vintagebob

« Reply #356 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:35 pm »
Been lurking around here for a few months now... Last night I placed my order for the HT1-TL in curly walnut  :D

Now I just have to wait! Hopefully the time will pass quickly..

Yes!  :thumb:  Nice choice.

What will you be using as a front end for these babies?  What other activities do you need to get done before they arrive?

Nuance

« Reply #357 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:46 pm »
cgarrett,

Congratulations!  I look forward to your impressions and pictures.   Welcome to the Salk family.

cgarrett

« Reply #358 on: 22 Oct 2009, 06:14 pm »

Yes!  :thumb:  Nice choice.

What will you be using as a front end for these babies?  What other activities do you need to get done before they arrive?

Right now I have a 2 channel music setup consisting of the following:

Apple Lossless encoded music from Macbook --> wireless to Apple Airport Express --> optical connection to MSB Link DAC III --> Onkyo A9555 Integrated Amplifier --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1.

I'm actually quite happy with the current setup.  It produces a very nice sound, but I am looking to take it to the next level with the HT1-TL.  I will assess any other potential upgrades when I receive my speakers.  Off the top of my head, I am thinking about upgrade options across two very different paths.. I could either go for a HT surround setup by moving the Sierra 1's to the rears, running a phantom center, which would of course require the purchase of a receiver or separates.  Alternatively, I was also thinking about beefing up my 2 channel setup with a Wyred for Sound amp + pre amp. They are really two totally different paths, so I will really have to decide what direction to pursue in the coming weeks.

I have to say, wireless streaming from the Macbook to the airport express is the ultimate in convenience.  I can control my entire library of music from both my Macbook and iPhone, it really is a great setup.  That's one thing that definitely will not be changing. 

sfox7076

« Reply #359 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:16 pm »
I do the same thing with my MAC.  One issue though is that Timemachine backups will cause audio skips.  You have to schedule it so it doesn't mess with your listening.