Adding a DAC into an AVR System?

vintagebob

Adding a DAC into an AVR System?
« on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:47 am »
If I wanted to add an AVA DAC into my HT system below, how would I go about it?  Run the outputs from the Airport Express and OPPO into an Inday Switcher, then to the DAC and then to the AVR?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Adding a DAC into an AVR System?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:01 am »
Yes, I believe that would work.  I use an Inday switcher to feed the digital outputs from a CDP and an iMac into an AVA DAC's digital input, then the analog output from the DAC feeds into my preamp.  There was a great deal on an Inday switcher on this forum for $75.00 a week or two ago.

moeaudio

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:49 pm »
  Please keep in mind if your using your SC-05 as a pre-amp.  It A-to-D converts all signals, then digitally controls volume, EQ etc...this is tragic if your trying to get true fidelity.  This A-To-D is ruining the resolution that the AVA amps and DAC have to offer.

I have worked in the industry for almost twenty years and all of that time I've been dealing with high-end home theaters as well.  IMNHP The best way to connect to a large home theater Pre-pro or AVR is utilize it as a digital controller.  Most of the better AVR's and Pre-pro's are fantastic digital switchers.
Combined with the addition of a HQ analog pre-amp to the system between AVR or Pre-Pro and the front channel amps.
Connect the Coax digital outputs for all source components to AVR and digital-out (from the AVR) to the AVA dac then the analog out to a pre-amp then to the amps for the front channels.
I use an older AVA T5 pre and Ultra Dac in this configuration myself. And it works perfectly.
One other added benifit is you can still have full use of the AVR's remote control when watching a movie/TV etc...You will use three analog inputs on the pre-amp one for DAC, one for the front channl out from the AVR/Pre-Pro and the third is for your TT of course.
Then you can switch inputs on the pre-amp to hear the differences between the AVA DAC and the DAC's in the AVR Pre-pro or whatever else you plug into the pre-amp.
I replaced a very costly Krell Pre-pro/Amp combo w/ Denon AVR5803 and AVA T5/Ultra Dac w/ an Insight 440 for the front channels (the denon 5803 powers everything else).  My two channel performance has greatly improved.  For surround sound it was a small step down in performance when compared to the Krell.
BTW: The phono section in the newer Pioneer Elite product is the work of the digitizing-devil...after RIAA it A-to-D's everything....No fun at all bubba.
Please remember humans are analog...

vintagebob

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:47 pm »
Thanks Guys!

moeaudio, thanks for taking the time to make your first post in this thread.  Welcome to AC!

You highlighted my concern about having the AVR anywhere in the loop.  I sheepishly admit that I forgot about the source digital out on the SC-05.  It sounds like I just need to put a DAC/Preamp combo (Hurry up Frank!) between the source digital out of the AVR and my AVA Double 240/3 (L/R channels only)?  I assume that all multi-channel playback will still use the DAC/Preamp combo for the front two channels?

That can't really work very well though for multi-channel because you could not easily level match the speakers anytime you changed the volume?

moeaudio

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2009, 01:09 am »
I neglected to add that Muti-channel audio is not a problem.
When watching/listening a movie, or DTS/DD/5-ch SACD mutlichannel it's very easy...
All one needs to do is set the volume on the pre-amp to the same level using tones w/ a meter or by ear.
Then "note" that volume postion and run your auto calibration (MACACC on the SC-05) and your in business.
You'll enjoy all channels auto calibrated even those going thru the AVA pre/dac/amp combo.
Just remember when multi-channeling the pre-amp will be set to one volume and not touched--set the pre-amp to the "noted" position.
Your volume level will be controlled by the AVR fed thru it's front channels output.

vintagebob

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:56 pm »
Frank provided me with this information (go to bottom of document), which is another way of integrating the preamp into the HT system.

http://www.avahifi.com/images/avahifi/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab2000.pdf
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm by vintagebob »