LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

Emil

Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jul 2013, 05:30 pm »
Hey Guys
Just hooked up my new Lamp Gen4/L4 yesterday morning  and I'm very happy with the purchase but a couple of problems exist.
Ever since installing the Lamp, I'm having trouble get rid of hum emanating from both speakers oly audible with my ear a few inches away from the speaker. I tried using cheater plugs but to no avail.
Secondly, I let the DAC burn in overnight with a CD playing on a loop only to find one channel dead in the morning. A look at the tubes found one not glowing. A can see a bad tube causing hum but having two bad tubes seems unlikely. Like I've mentioned earlier, hum is coming from both channels.
Anyway, I pulled the bad inspect to inspect it. The only markings on the tube was "ECC40"
The website states his standard tube is the Soviet 6H6P. Are they the same?

Gopher

« Reply #81 on: 15 Jul 2013, 03:18 am »
I believe that is a legacy spec from his Generation 3 DACs.  I'm pretty sure all the newer lamps use ecc40 unless otherwise requested.  Its a great, cheap tube--really good sounding and respected if you google it.

I wouldn't be surprised if your hum issue was tube related.  One tip--make sure those tubes are sitting snugly in those tube sockets.  Don't go overboard applying too much pressure, but the sockets are quite snug and they can be hard to insert.

My 4 is sounding so good tonight I'm questioning my sanity with the Big Six...

Berto

« Reply #82 on: 16 Jul 2013, 02:42 am »
My system consist of Daedalus Ulysses speakers driven by ModWright LS100 pre and KWA100SE amp. Anyone familiar with Daedalus speaker and Lampi knows if the Lampi 4 would be too warm for my system esp for rock music? I am very much eager to keep the awesome dynamics of my system intact.

I thought my ear was twitching.  Gopher mentioned my setup and the Lamp Daedalus combo is superb. From tonality in Johnny Cashs voice to being engulfed in Becks "Sea change" it's just an addicting piece of kit. Definitely not warm, esp with Duelunds. Extended and balanced in case you like to ROCK OUT once in a while :drums: (like me)

wisnon

« Reply #83 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:57 am »
Berto can you give us more feedback? What are the specs on your Dac, etc.

Berto

« Reply #84 on: 16 Jul 2013, 09:23 pm »
Berto can you give us more feedback? What are the specs on your Dac, etc.

Hi Wisnon

L4 Gen4, 1uf PIO Jensens, BNC, XLR and Toslink Inputs and RCA outs. Solid State rectifier. I've got Duelunds in my new pre and amp and will eventually have Duelunds in my Lamp as well :thumb:

I love how organic/musical my digital files now sound. I cue up Neil Youngs Live At Massey Hall from 1971 and I get chills, as if I was there. It's the first DAC (out of the 9 i've owned) that has come this close to suspending disbelief. Of course my ancillary gear is also up to the task.

shahed

« Reply #85 on: 16 Jul 2013, 10:33 pm »
Hi Wisnon

L4 Gen4, 1uf PIO Jensens, BNC, XLR and Toslink Inputs and RCA outs. Solid State rectifier. I've got Duelunds in my new pre and amp and will eventually have Duelunds in my Lamp as well :thumb:

I love how organic/musical my digital files now sound. I cue up Neil Youngs Live At Massey Hall from 1971 and I get chills, as if I was there. It's the first DAC (out of the 9 i've owned) that has come this close to suspending disbelief. Of course my ancillary gear is also up to the task.

Whats your amp and pre?

wisnon

« Reply #86 on: 16 Jul 2013, 11:46 pm »
Thanx Berto

Finding out whats in the rest of the system will be interesting.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #87 on: 17 Jul 2013, 12:06 am »
I'll have Gopher's Lampimazator on the way to me shortly.

Heh heh heh heh heh.

Berto

« Reply #88 on: 17 Jul 2013, 12:50 am »
Paul, good move and look forward to your feedback.

And as far as my system details I have them under my name if you click the systems link.

wisnon

« Reply #89 on: 17 Jul 2013, 10:23 am »
Darn, you went whole hog, with a Transport too!
Wifi or ethernet connection to the Transport? I heard that Ethernet smokes the wifi.

Yes, I can imagine how good your setup is!

Berto

« Reply #90 on: 17 Jul 2013, 09:51 pm »
Been Ethernet (Cat 6) since 2009 when I had occasional (wireless) dropouts on my Modwright Transporter.

Was more a stable connection issue at the time.  Helps to have a big oriental rug to run the wire under, so I don't even notice it.

CountChoculaBot

« Reply #91 on: 6 Aug 2013, 01:23 am »
Proud owner of a brand new Lampizator L4/G4 for the past few days :)  Stock config with USB.

So far, limited impressions but I have to say it's something special.

I was never really much of a soundstage guy, but now I realize it might've just been because I've never had a DAC that really did it very well.  The Lampi's soundstage/imaging is just so nice... where other DACs wouldn't be able to put up a very good soundstage/vocal imaging in a suboptimal room, the Lampi acts like it's childs play.  Black space between the vocals and rest of the soundstage is superb.

In regards to whether it's warm or cold... I gotta say, it almost just seems like it's beyond that, to me at least.  Disclaimer that I'm heavily biased to the warm side of things.  However, when listening to the Lampi the thought of whether it sounds warm or cold doesn't really come to me... it just ends up sounding right.

But really honestly, I'm just having trouble picking out any flaws.  I just honestly can't find fault with any aspect of the sound for the most part.  Just any part that you can name... like soundstage, tonality, etc... really all I can say is that it does it just right, for me anyway. 

fridays

« Reply #92 on: 6 Aug 2013, 01:32 am »
What do you mean for the most part, your talking to friends here

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #93 on: 6 Aug 2013, 04:54 am »
Smells like 'glory'.   :D

wisnon

« Reply #94 on: 6 Aug 2013, 09:25 am »

wisnon

« Reply #95 on: 6 Aug 2013, 09:26 am »
Proud owner of a brand new Lampizator L4/G4 for the past few days :)  Stock config with USB.

So far, limited impressions but I have to say it's something special.

I was never really much of a soundstage guy, but now I realize it might've just been because I've never had a DAC that really did it very well.  The Lampi's soundstage/imaging is just so nice... where other DACs wouldn't be able to put up a very good soundstage/vocal imaging in a suboptimal room, the Lampi acts like it's childs play.  Black space between the vocals and rest of the soundstage is superb.

In regards to whether it's warm or cold... I gotta say, it almost just seems like it's beyond that, to me at least.  Disclaimer that I'm heavily biased to the warm side of things.  However, when listening to the Lampi the thought of whether it sounds warm or cold doesn't really come to me... it just ends up sounding right.

But really honestly, I'm just having trouble picking out any flaws.  I just honestly can't find fault with any aspect of the sound for the most part.  Just any part that you can name... like soundstage, tonality, etc... really all I can say is that it does it just right, for me anyway.

Good to see a confirmation of what I heard. These latest L4s seem to be the most special yet!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #96 on: 6 Aug 2013, 02:46 pm »
I'm confused what level are we at. It appears level "6" now. Level "7" ??? I'm interested but do not want to get involved yet until the changes stop. It seems every month or so a new edition. Level "6' with all the bells and whistles is $10,000. For $10,000 I would like to own a design that sticks around for a while. I have been down that road with Linn not looking forward to that again. However a great design is a great design and I trust Gophers and Bertos ears, what to do ??

charles

wisnon

« Reply #97 on: 6 Aug 2013, 02:59 pm »
The Dac designs have been frozen. Only the DSD version is still undergoing optimization. L3 was frozen first, then L4 and then L5-PCM and same for L6. L6 has 2 box configs...standard with exposed tubes or Big 6, ie, the GM70 (larger) box with all tubes hidden inside.

The L4 is the best price/value and the Big 6 is the ultimates and matches the mono-bloc styling and uses 16bit NOS Dac chip.

Gopher

« Reply #98 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:24 pm »
Charles,

I'll drop you a separate PM, but the models are stable as Norman points out.  The levels are explained here: 

CURRENTLY LEVEL 1 AND 2 ARE NOT OFFERED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST.

LEVEL 3 = THE BEST DAC WE CAN POSSIBLY MAKE USING THE INEXPENSIVE GENERIC COMPONENTS AND TUBES OF OUR CHOICE. THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT TASK BECAUSE IT IS EASY TO MAKE GREAT DAC WITH BOUTIQUE, EXPENSIVE PARTS. 4 YEARS OF MAKING THE DAC LEVEL 3 AND WE FEEL IT IS REALLY AWESOME CONSIDERING THAT THE PARTS ARE MOSTLY SOVIET MILITARY GENERIC NO NAMES.

LEVEL 4 = THE SAME AS LEVEL 3 BUT ALL PARTS ARE THE BEST WE KNOW OF SO EVERY COST COMPONENT OF THIS DAC IS MORE EXPENSIVE BY AT LEAST A FACTOR OF 10, OR MORE. THE SOUND IS SIMILAR TO LEVEL 3 SOUND ALTHOUGH MORE REFINED IN EVERY WAY. IT ALSO TAKES 3 FULL DAYS TO BUILD IT, VERSUS ONE DAY FOR LEVEL 3.

LEVEL 5 IS A TWO BOX DAC THAT HAS ENOUGH SPACE FOR ALL OPTIONS THAT WE OFFER. IT IS BASICALLY LIKE LEVEL 4 BUT: POWER SUPPLY IS FULLY DUAL MONO AND IT IS HOUSED IN A SEPARATE BOX. THERE IS ENOUGH SPACE TO FIT USB, BALANCED TOPOLOGY, HUGE OUT CAPS, VOLUME CONTROL, DSD MODULE, REMOTE OPERATION, ANALOG PREAMP INPUTS, BIAMPING OUTPUTS ETC. EVEN WITHOUT ALL OPTIONS IT SOUNDS MARTGINALLY BETTER THAN LEVEL 4 DUE TO SUPPLY SEPARATION AND DUAL MONO POWER. IT TAKES A WEEK TO BUILD IT BY HAND.

LEVEL 6 = THE BEST SOUND WE CAN POSSIBLY MAKE BUT WITH SOME LIMITATIONS THAT THE BEST SOUND DICTATES: ONLY SE OPERATION, NO OPTIONS, ONLY 16 BIT COMPATIBLE (ON ALL FREQUENCIES). 20 AND 24 BIT FILES ARE TRUNCATED TO 16 BUT STILL SOUND BETTER THAN 24/192 ON LEVEL 3, 4 OR 5. IT TAKES A WEEK TO BUILD.

THE BIG SIX - A LEVEL 6 BUT BUILT IN 2 X LARGER (WOODEN) BOX TO FIT EVEN MORE EXOTIC CHOKES AND CAPACITORS (ZERO ELECTROLYTES). IT TAKES TWO WEEKS TO BUILD IT.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Still looking for a great D/A for Maraschino Demos?
« Reply #99 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:26 pm »
Interesting thread!  Interesting product!   :D

Haven't had time to read the whole thread, but we have been looking for a D/A (we try not to use the acronym "DAC" since it also stands for Digital Amplifier Company) with true balanced outputs, a level control, and modern, high-performance.

We have looked at Lavry, Benchmark, Bel Canto, and several others.  This is to run demonstrations of our new super-high-performance Maraschino Cherry (TM) amplifier series (not yet released).

Can anybody (Lukasz?) tell me if this LampizatOr D/A might fit the bill?  We want to skip over the preamp, so we also need low output impedance (Maraschino has a 20k balanced input).  Users of the Cherry amplifiers tend toward tube based preamps.

Coax S/PDIF input is required.

Remote volume is nice, but not absolutely necessary.  We believe that digital attenuation, when done properly, is the way to go.

We prefer to keep the amps close to the speakers, so the D/A also needs to drive a longer-than-usual interconnect as well.

By the way, this link (from the website) seems to be busted:
http://lampizator.eu/szop/szopproducts/LZ%20PRE/LampizatorPre.html

Thanks.