LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2013, 09:14 pm »

I would say it's not a cliche audiophiles DAC, I would say it's more of a music-philes dac. No matter what a piece of gear does sonically, if it can't suck you into the music, it's a dealbreaker for me. 

??  I would think most of us do not like unmusical DACS, Berto.

Berto

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2013, 10:16 pm »
??  I would think most of us do not like unmusical DACS, Berto.

Yeh I would think so too Ted.

My point in that context was IMO this has been the most musical DAC that I've personally heard.  From owning the Gen 3 I was not expecting much, so I guess you can say it exceeded my expectations.

DavidS

« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2013, 05:09 am »
I have a lowly level 2 generation 2.5 but is easily the best dac / digital sound I have heard.  I didn't want it to but it replaced an EMM Labs player 1.5 years ago - I thought the EMM Labs player was top of food chain only to be easily bested by relative new to me Lampizator dac and hifidiy transport (actually was Oppo player as transport when I sold the EMM Labs). 

I also have about 6K worth of turntable (Well Tempered) and phono pre (Nagra) - the lampizator / kit transport is clearly better sound for all who have heard and compared.  I have also owned a middle of the pack Audio Note dac, and have a JKenny usb dac in my desktop system.  Have had no desire to change my digital setup but sounds like getting to level 4 and latest generation is a game changer.  Dac envy.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2013, 05:51 am »

Hi David:

What you have is a Level 3 - Gen. 3 in a slim case. That is why you have the Level 2, Gen. 2.5 on the case.

Yes, it's sound is very addictive. That's how I describe it. Just enjoy it and don't worry about the next generation is my advice.  :wink:

Rocket_Ronny

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2013, 04:06 am »
I've now got about 250 hours logged on this thing playing music while listening and looping the isotek burn in tones when not.  I've also pretty much gotten a handle on what I'm hearing and I've gotta say that this DAC has really delivered on the goods!

I already commented on the natural tone and presentation of music with this thing, but I feel like theres a lot more to it.  This piece has done more for my system's staging then any other component change.  Fikus commented in this thread about the three dimensional sound cloud he strives for with his Level 4s and it really does need to be experienced to understand. 

The presence of vocals is just insane with this music maker and I'm absolutely glued to what I'm hearing.  I've had some nice analog rigs through my home with some of the more notable being Well Tempered Reference and Kuzma Stogi S, and I can confidently say I haven't had a better sounding source.

I expect to keep this DAC long term.

wisnon

« Reply #25 on: 7 May 2013, 10:50 pm »
Any updates after more burn in time has passed?

wisnon

« Reply #26 on: 7 May 2013, 10:53 pm »
I have a lowly level 2 generation 2.5 but is easily the best dac / digital sound I have heard.  I didn't want it to but it replaced an EMM Labs player 1.5 years ago - I thought the EMM Labs player was top of food chain only to be easily bested by relative new to me Lampizator dac and hifidiy transport (actually was Oppo player as transport when I sold the EMM Labs). 

I also have about 6K worth of turntable (Well Tempered) and phono pre (Nagra) - the lampizator / kit transport is clearly better sound for all who have heard and compared.  I have also owned a middle of the pack Audio Note dac, and have a JKenny usb dac in my desktop system.  Have had no desire to change my digital setup but sounds like getting to level 4 and latest generation is a game changer.  Dac envy.

Wait for the DSD/ PCM Multibit Dac. Coming soon!

Lampi DSD will be like no other...Lukasz himself seems stunned!

CountChoculaBot

« Reply #27 on: 8 May 2013, 02:48 am »
I'm seriously considering sending in my current lampi 3 to upgrade to a current L4/G4 lampi.

I'd probably request Jupiter HT caps in lieu of Jensen since the reviews seem to tell me I'd prefer Jupiter's more, but that's irrelevant.

Anyway, I'm just wondering why you chose to go with solid state rectification?  In what way would it differ from the standard (I'm guessing tube?) rectification, sound wise?

Gopher

« Reply #28 on: 8 May 2013, 03:19 am »
Wisnon,

More of the same thing, really.  I've continued to be quite impressed by this DAC and love what its done for my system.  I underwent some changes today which may take away my base line reference (got a Melody Pure Black 101 preamp and M845 monos in place of my AN211 integrated) but I suspect the LampizatOr will continue to please and fit the bill just fine.

Count, 

If you've got the funds for the upgrade, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.  My L4/G4 is miles ahead of the L3/G3 I had--a different league all together. 

My logic behind going with the solid state rectification at the time was seeking a more linear sound with better extension and bass slam then I experienced with the L3.  While I did achieve this in the L4/G4 I'm not sure how much was due to the rectification.  When I asked Lukasz about his preferences he said the following:

"To my ears - solid state or tubed - sounds the same due to massive filtering with chokes which removes the rectifier character."

I guess I'll need to track down an L4/G4 with tubed rectification and see for myself.

wisnon

« Reply #29 on: 8 May 2013, 08:16 am »
It may be a question of synergy. With your tubey amps, perhaps the SS rectification will match a bit better?

I have a SS amp, so tube rectification works a treat for me!

glory

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:59 am »
Have the L5 with DSD. So this machine is like organic raw foods free of food color/preservatives/artificial food flavorings/pesticides and all the other stool add to the the foods people enjoy to eat. It is an ugly box but inside are the goods to produce organic sounding music.

Ming is as if Likusz is in the US as he can fix and upgrade any unit one might have. He is by far the most honest and upright man I have ever dealt with in my audio journey. Anyone wanting a Lampi Dac and thinking on the Poland stuff should just forget about it. He even answers his phone!!

No more dacs for me !

Audioclyde

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:42 pm »
Glory:

are the Lampi L5 DSD dacs available now, and do you know what the msrp is?

Thanks,

Randy

wisnon

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:57 pm »
Not yet as far as I am aware. Maybe a week away?

Gopher

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jun 2013, 05:52 pm »
Not yet as far as I am aware. Maybe a week away?

Do you know if DSD will ever come to the Level 6?  That DAC is a fantasy jump of mine and likely what I'd do over a Level 5 if/when I could afford to.

glory

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:30 pm »
If you know the right person then yes DSD is now for Lamp Dac. DSD for 90 days or more.

glory

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:36 pm »
What do I know as I am a pee wee poster here on the O with 32 hits.

Brad

« Reply #36 on: 6 Jun 2013, 07:28 pm »
When you get to 35 posts will you let us know the MSRP if you know it?
 :|

wisnon

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:02 pm »
Do you know if DSD will ever come to the Level 6?  That DAC is a fantasy jump of mine and likely what I'd do over a Level 5 if/when I could afford to.
Never. and not just for the no-compromise L6.

In fact, its likely that he will make a separate DSD module optimized ONLY for DSD with no compromise to PCM. It is apparently too difficult to do all in one box and get acceptable results as a commercially repeatable option.

Dedicated tube DSD Dac will likely be the future and the good news is that current Lampi owners will likely get a discount price compared to full retail... Loyalty reward thing, i imagine.

From what I hear, DSD playback is wowing him, with comments like more extended high and deeper, more articulate bass. The biggest wow is that human voices sound live, like they are right there! I cant wait to hear that!

Gopher

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:21 pm »
When you get to 35 posts will you let us know the MSRP if you know it?
 :|

Level 1= 890 (discontinued)
Level 2=1200 (discontinued)
Level 3=1625
Level 4=3500
Level 5=5000
Level 6=4900
All prices are in EURO
Additional options are extra (Volume control, USB module, V-Cap , Jupiter or Jensen capacitors, balanced topology.
Detailed menu pricelist is downloadable below

Those are the prices purchasing direct in Europe, but there is a US distributor as Glory points out and you'd have to discuss pricing with them.

Brad

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:25 pm »
Thanks

I was actually talking about the tube DSD version.   That is the one I'd be interested in, especially given the raves about it.