LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

glory

Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #60 on: 8 Jun 2013, 10:31 pm »
Glory, you have never heard the Lampi DSD, so how do you come to that conclusion? I have not heard either, but given  that I know the SQ from the Lampi PCM Dac, of course I would throw my hat in with Lukasz's design.

Because it takes Lukusz 4 Generations to get it right so DSD Gen1 will soon be Gen.2 and 3 and then 4. Ming is the better way if you have L5!!
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2013, 04:10 pm by glory »

glory

« Reply #61 on: 9 Jun 2013, 04:56 pm »
So 5K+ for Lamp DSD stand alone Dac + a set of IC's and one AC cable (2K) 7K for DSD!! Hope new buyer has 6TB of DSD files to make it worth all the $$$!!

wisnon

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jun 2013, 07:13 pm »
Did you read carefully? L5 CAN have the DSD built in. For others (1 box solution), there will have to be a separate box. Note you got Ming to install DSD in a 2 Box L5. For L3 and L4, it must be separate and for Current Lampi Dac owners it will be significantly cheaper than what you propose, as there will be a big discount!

Why do you care anyway, this if for Lukasz and his distributors to work out!

As a consumer, I know what I would choose and other are free to decide for themselves. BTW, I have NEVER spent $2k for a set of ICs and Power cable. Never gonna happen, but that is me..

glory

« Reply #63 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:22 pm »
If one has a L5 and wants DSD L style then it must go to Poland right.? Sender beware of a 190 days turn around with no answers to E-mails for 3 months. Been there done that. Nightmare!!

If one has a L4 and wants DSD then a stand alone is for 4.5K + shipping right? OK 1K for wire for the Walmart shopper. Huge $$$ so buyer should have a boat load of DSD files.

If you know L then ask him why he doesn't answer emails from his Distributer in the US and his customers?? If not for Ming I would never own a Lamp Dac ever. Ming has saved L's A$$ over and over.

To much Vodka!!

I can read thank you.

Gopher

« Reply #64 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:31 pm »
mmmkay....  so maybe its time to start a separate DSD thread for anyone interested in that...    In the meantime I'd love to hear more from current Gen 4 Lamp owners as far as impressions, tweak ideas and general discussion.

glory

« Reply #65 on: 11 Jun 2013, 12:37 am »
meantime I'd love to hear more from current Gen 4 Lamp owners as far as impressions, tweak ideas and general discussion.

What tubes are in your unit?

IC's?

AC cable?

Sitting on?

V caps?

glory

« Reply #66 on: 11 Jun 2013, 01:38 am »
Goto Dac goes to Cal. for a listen to a L5 owner who bought my L4 at one time. Loves it and wants it. You can now upgrade to L5 if you want from the Cal. owner. It is a Gen 4!

Gopher

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jun 2013, 02:21 am »
meantime I'd love to hear more from current Gen 4 Lamp owners as far as impressions, tweak ideas and general discussion.

What tubes are in your unit?

IC's?

AC cable?

Sitting on?

V caps?

Tungsram ECC40 tubes.

Wywires V3 Interconnects

Triode Wire Labs 10+ Power cable

Sitting on a Rack of Silence Reference Rack

The Caps are the Jensen copper in oils.

glory

« Reply #68 on: 11 Jun 2013, 02:39 am »
A great tube is...

PHILIPS MINIWATT ECC40 Holland
An excellent dual triode tube for audio applications with rimlock socket type. These are the oldest and best in stock. Made by Dutch Sittard factory of Philips in 1956. These are labeled as Philips Miniwatt. All tubes have solid disc getter and matching production codes. Matched pairs available.

I had the STROSR stand and think it is a great rack.

You are in hog heaven it sounds like.

Gopher

« Reply #69 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:29 pm »
Did you find the ECC40 tube swap made a large difference?  I was told that most ECC40s, with the exception of tungsram, were pretty much the same and made in the same factory, regardless of re-branding.  Is the miniwatt another exception like the Tungsram?

wisnon

« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2013, 01:10 pm by wisnon »

Gopher

« Reply #71 on: 14 Jul 2013, 01:25 am »
Very nice, Norman.

I went totally over the deep end and am awaiting a "Big Six" of my own.  The level 4 could easily be anyone's destination source, but screw it!  "YOLO" and such.   I may be going into my final week with the Level 4.   It's certainly been an enlightening relationship...

shahed

« Reply #72 on: 14 Jul 2013, 06:59 am »
How competent is Lampi 4 for rock music say compare to Berkeley dac or equivalent dac?

shahed

« Reply #73 on: 14 Jul 2013, 07:07 am »
My system consist of Daedalus Ulysses speakers driven by ModWright LS100 pre and KWA100SE amp. Anyone familiar with Daedalus speaker and Lampi knows if the Lampi 4 would be too warm for my system esp for rock music? I am very much eager to keep the awesome dynamics of my system intact.

jriggy

« Reply #74 on: 14 Jul 2013, 07:34 am »
You go Fred! I almost jumped on oneathem L5's used while this L4 is getting fixed, just can't swing it. Can't wait to start fully enjoying it.

As far as Lanpis with Daedalus, dynamics are excellent and the midrange seems more suited for my Ulysses than the AMR did.

Clint wait to be back up and running....

wisnon

« Reply #75 on: 14 Jul 2013, 11:39 am »
My system consist of Daedalus Ulysses speakers driven by ModWright LS100 pre and KWA100SE amp. Anyone familiar with Daedalus speaker and Lampi knows if the Lampi 4 would be too warm for my system esp for rock music? I am very much eager to keep the awesome dynamics of my system intact.

Lampi has awesome macrodynamics.

wisnon

« Reply #76 on: 14 Jul 2013, 11:40 am »
Very nice, Norman.

I went totally over the deep end and am awaiting a "Big Six" of my own.  The level 4 could easily be anyone's destination source, but screw it!  "YOLO" and such.   I may be going into my final week with the Level 4.   It's certainly been an enlightening relationship...

Sweet!

Somebody should jump all over your L4 for sale!!!!

Gopher

« Reply #77 on: 14 Jul 2013, 12:21 pm »

A good local friend of mine, Berto, has Daedalus Ulysses speakers driven by TRL amplification with a mirror image LampizatOr to mine and the pairing is fantastic for all types of music.  Maybe its the midrange synergy as Jriggy mentions, but something about the LampizatOr really unlocks the potential of those speakers.

As for being too warm, this DAC may be slightly on the warm side of neutral, but its not some fuzzy, tizzy overly euphonic, romance factory.  Its actually very neutral and dynamic...  music just sounds natural and real...

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #78 on: 14 Jul 2013, 01:26 pm »
Why not get a Lampizator DSD only DAC, and then oversample all PCM music to DSD on the fly via HQplayer.  If the Lampizator DSD ends up being really good, this approach will allow for a simpler DAC and conversion, with the tricky conversion (PCM-DSD) done in software by a powerful computer.
Consider that Meitner/EMM and Playback Designs DACs both convert all PCM to DSD before conversion, and sound quite good in doing so, giving PCM some of the sonic advantages of DSD.

wisnon

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jul 2013, 04:55 pm »
Many people still play disks or use Sq-Box as a source. Not everyone has gone exclusively Comp Audio.

Only those who have could live with the DSD only solution, as the conversion has to be done via external software.