Are High Res Folks Just Vinyl Wannabies?

Freo-1

Re: Are High Res Folks Just Vinyl Wannabies?
« Reply #160 on: 21 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm »
From the editor of stereomojo:

IMHO, the EE sounds as good as many turntable/cartridge/phono-pre combos up to around $10,000, perhaps more when playing 24-bit files. From what limited time I've had with the Lampizator, I think it competes with many of the top turntables at any price, whether playing Redbook or 24-bits.

As can be seen here:
http://www.stereomojo.com/Stereomojo%20Six%20DAC%20Shootout.htm/Stereomojo6DacShootoutRound2.htm

So, it is about the sound quality you get from your system.  If such a quality is obtained, vynil setup is not really needed, IMHO.

+1

As far as I'm concerned, vinyl and classical just does not mix.  Too much background noise, wow, rumble, inner groove distortion,  cartridge/tonearm alignment issues, lack of ability to listen to the vast dynamic contrasts with classical without calling attention to all the shortfalls, record wear, no ability to listen to multi channel, one could go on and on.

Vinyl can sound excelent with some music, but classical is not on that list.
Hi-Res digital gets much closer to a live classical performance.

Wayner

« Reply #161 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:01 am »
That's a load of crap. Classical music is the easiest music to sound good on any system.

Wayner

Freo-1

« Reply #162 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:14 am »
That's a load of crap. Classical music is the easiest music to sound good on any system.

Wayner

Sorry, mate, it's true. 

The noise floor issue alone is a deal breaker.  Unless one totally ignores popping, the inherantly higher noise floor, no ability to experience surrond, not to mention the various distortions, classical played on vinyl is hard to take. 

The shortfalls asscoiated with reproducing dynamic contrasts when listening to a somthing along the lines of a Mahler symphony are readily apparant. 

dlaloum

« Reply #163 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:32 am »

Not my experience  :nono:  - classical is the hardest to authentically reproduce.

ALL the instruments are acoustic... so you know what they should sound like. (ie none of it is synthesised/processed.... you have a real baseline at every concert you go to)
Getting a recording that successfully reproduces everything from Tympani, through trumpets, solo violin, Voices from bass to soprano, and piano is tricky...

Then there is the complexity and scale of a symphony orchestra - nothing has dynamic range like a full size orchestra... and the ability to reproduce the layers of sound, of all those instruments accurately, positioned correctly, without smearing, is one of the greatest tests of a speaker/amplifier and Source.

Very few setups truly achieve this. Electrostatics usually manage to get the sound right without the scale... Other speakers often easily achieve the scale, but lose all the detail along the way.
Similarly with cartridges....

When you have a synthesised pop/jazz recording, where the recording method, let alone the instruments used are all artificial, there is no baseline. It may sound good, bad, or indifferent - but it is no test of the system as you can have no reference.

Small Jazz ensembles recorded in a minimalist manner can also be a good test, but are not much different to small classical baroque groups - a much much easier thing to get right than the big orchestra in full throated crescendo.

You may like or dislike this type of music, but as a test for a High Fidelity audio reproduction system, nothing beats it!

On the other hand.... if all you want is for it to "sound good"- then perhaps you are not using the same criteria as I am?

bye for now

David

Wayner

« Reply #164 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:35 am »
Sorry, mate, it's true. 

The noise floor issue alone is a deal breaker.  Unless one totally ignores popping, the inherantly higher noise floor, no ability to experience surrond, not to mention the various distortions, classical played on vinyl is hard to take. 

The shortfalls asscoiated with reproducing dynamic contrasts when listening to a somthing along the lines of a Mahler symphony are readily apparant.

Sorry mate (not) it ain't true. Just cause you say so, don't make it so.

dlaloum

« Reply #165 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:38 am »
Sorry, mate, it's true. 

Was listening to some wonderful Menuhin recordings the other day... on vinyl...

No noticeably noise whatsoever, fantastic dynamic constrasts.... everything from the crescendo's to the softest violin solos...

I think there are perhaps 2 or 3 clicks/pops per record side.... much more bearable than the rustling and coughing one gets at a live performance.....

Might I suggest that your description appears to indicate some cleaning issues?
The weakness with vinyl is the requirement for meticulous, consistent, effective cleaning... Digital is much simpler to live with.

Doing analogue really really well is far more difficult than doing digital at the same level.

Bye for now

David

Freo-1

« Reply #166 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:46 am »
Sorry mate (not) it ain't true. Just cause you say so, don't make it so.

I'm reasonably sure that the limitaions with vinyl are indeed mesaureable, and can be backed up as such.  You are entiltled to your opinion, but the engineering mesaurements will sugget otherwise (not to mention the incredible pain it is to even try to get vinyl less noisy than it already is...)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #167 on: 22 Nov 2011, 02:24 am »
I'm reasonably sure that the limitaions with vinyl are indeed mesaureable, and can be backed up as such.  You are entiltled to your opinion, but the engineering mesaurements will sugget otherwise (not to mention the incredible pain it is to even try to get vinyl less noisy than it already is...)

The potential advantages of digital (S/N, dynamic range) are rendered meaningless with inaccurate portrayal of tonality and harmonic structure. A violin heard live, is usually more accurately portrayed by a half decent record player than a CD. That is, if you know what a live acoustic instrument sounds like. No argument about the need to clean records and handle them properly.

For many of us, listening to music is about the music not the equipment or potentials unrealized. The equipment or media is the means not the end. There is emotional content that for us, is usually much better with records. If your experience is different, it could be you haven't experienced a satisfactory record player and clean records? I think you're missing out on what could be a nice part of your overall experience. Most vinyl enthusiasts also have digital media. As many have already posted, it's not an either/or situation. Digital seem to be getting better after 30 yrs of agonizing screeching and unmusical noises. Just listen to A/D transfers done 20 yrs ago, compared to the record. It's no contest. A satisfactory listening experience is also about availability and viability. Why would someone already enjoying a record collection, want to abandon it for something usually less satisfying? If you prefer digital, so be it. I won't limit myself to one or the other.
neo

TONEPUB

« Reply #168 on: 22 Nov 2011, 02:26 am »
Yeah, I don't know about the measurements, but for me classical is the toughest thing to get right....

I agree with David, also that "digital is simpler to live with..."

And I LOVE vinyl.

marknoir

« Reply #169 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:56 am »
If you have poor vinyl management, that is the end result, or don't understand what causes snap crackle, pop.

When you have things dialed in, cymbal crashes sound real, vocals are in the room with you. You get the feeling that you are part of the recording.

QW

Wayner, you can get exactly the same feeling from a "dialed-in" digital system. BEFORE the analog signal even gets to the cutting head, it goes through a chain of processors: limiters, compressors, de-essers, LF filters, LF summarizers etc. Add to this the usual necessary vinyl evils - surface noise, mandatory frequency response deterioration/distortion on inner grooves, mono low bass, distorted sibilance etc, plus limitations inherent to phono cartridges, turntables, preamps etc, and the picture is rather clear. High-res digital, given identical starting source, will produce a much CLOSER TO ORIGINAL version, read  -"truer high fidelity". I am a vinyl freak, but I have to be objective. And if there were enough good music in high res, I'd switch in a beat. My vinyl rig is no slouch, but a pretty substantial number of my LPs can not compete with their digital WELL MASTERED counterparts. A good example, and it's not even a high-res, is a gold Mastersound CD version of Stevie Ray Voghan's "Couldn't stand the Weather". I have two LPs, one early, and one later, and both of them are absolutely meak compared to the Hoffman CD... If you want an insight into severe problems during mastering, read about Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" sessions, and what Fagen said. They couldn't transfer practically anything onto vinyl, so they used SEVERE LIMITING AND COMPRESSION. He said that the first time they have heard something even remotely close to original tapes was when it was digitally re-mastered.

Relax and accept the way of the future, which is high-res digital. After all, you don't object to it when you are in a movie theater, right? Some of the best and most realistic sounds I've heard were at the movies...

marknoir

« Reply #170 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:59 am »

Wayner

This is not true to say the least. But then you think that VPI's Classic is the pinnacle of turntables, I forgot, sorry... :-)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #171 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:56 pm »

Wayner
wow.   :o  classical music is by far the most difficult music to get to sound good on any system.  BY FAR.   to quote someone who obviously has not listened to much classical (or at least not on a good system):  "Just cause you say so, don't make it so."   :lol:

doug s.

audiobat

« Reply #172 on: 23 Nov 2011, 03:47 pm »
Sorry, but to bring things back to Wayner's original post for a second...

I have been a lifelong analog guy, both R2R and vinyl. However there was a time when I drank the Kool-Aid and bought a new fangled CD player. I noticed that the music was not the same yet I bought CD's for the car and enjoyed the convenience. But I held out hope that the next digital step would be better and along came SACD and DVD Audio the promised "better" digital formats. They weren't much of a step forward even though the industry (the BIG industry guys not the little high end industry) tried their best to sell it to us. So the high end audio world took their own step back to vinyl, all on their own, no big industry sales job.
What was the reason, IT SOUNDED BETTER, not big industry's words just a grass roots movement by the guys actually listening!

Yet some audiophiles that can't get their heads around vinyl for whatever reason, (maybe not familiar with turntable set up?).
Now there is a new glass of Kool-Aid and guys are lapping it up, computer audio.

Hey dude everyone has a computer, they are fun! (sarcasm)
So lets play music with it, sure why not I say. It's easier than having a crap load of CD's everywhere right?
I also think it could be a shot in the arm for the (very small) high end audio industry and guys we need to have somebody making money off this hobby if we want it to continue.

I am all for high resolution computer based audio, go for it.
However, over the last year I have also done a fair bit of listening to it at dealers and at two audio shows and there's the rub.
I am 100% firm (to my ears) that compared to vinyl, the very best of high resolution digital out there (also $$$) is two dimensional and lacks the micro detail found in vinyl. There is also another issue I find difficult to put an exact finger on, it is the Gestalt of analog music that makes more sense to my brain. You can easily compound that effect by listening to a master tape copy on a properly configured R2R deck, the reproduced music seems to come "alive", organic, more real. The difference between that experience and even mega buck digital is so huge (to my ear) I believe if there could be "some format" better than analog digital is not the path to find it on.
Not a scientist just a listener.

TONEPUB

« Reply #173 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:19 pm »
I guess I'd have to disagree with that in principle at least.  I have heard some 24/192 files that were pulled from analog masters and mastered with care compared side by side to the best examples of vinyl that I could find and the hi res digital did have all the warmth of analog with greater depth and resolution.

The problem is I haven't heard many high res files that have sounded this good.

Just as it is a lot easier to build a simple tube amp that sounds pretty good, and pretty tough to build a great solid state amp, I find the same thing with digital.  I think it has real potential if we are making a comparison out on the ragged edge, but I don't hear the files being done that well.

That being said, in my current system even well done 16/44 sounds awfully close to decent analog.

I listen to a lot of different things and I just don't see an absolute.   

Norman Tracy

« Reply #174 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:41 pm »
Audiobat writes: “Yet some audiophiles that can't get their heads around vinyl for whatever reason, (maybe not familiar with turntable set up?). Now there is a new glass of Kool-Aid and guys are lapping it up, computer audio.”

What a huge dump truck sized load of condescending bulls__t.

If one grants that a high end turntable is that hard to setup (which I do not, claiming they are an exercise in inflating small egos) it stands as the most damning argument against the format one could formulate. “Yes, Lp is the best but of course there are only 1 in 10,000 of us who can properly set it up. But it’s your lucky day today for I am an anointed one who is here to help you peasants.”

TONEPUB writes: “I listen to a lot of different things and I just don't see an absolute.”

There is a mature and experienced view of the subject.

If one has such a fragile self confidence that demands proof your chosen solution is The Best perhaps hi-fi is not the best avenue for your efforts? Might I suggest motor racing where at the end of the day after competition on a track where everyone has the opportunity to demonstrate the strength of their technology and skills of the crew a trophy is awarded reading First Place.

Happy Thanksgiving to our USA readers and Happy Listening (on whatever chosen format you find fun) to all.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #175 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:57 pm »
TONEPUB: A most reasonable position to take in a thread which appears to have been designed to kick sand in the faces of people who didn't agree with the OP's pre-determined narrative. I agree that digital done right can be awfully satisfying - even Redbook (gasp!). I recently had a chance to hear what a really good ( I thought I had a really good CDP until I actually heard a really good CDP ) CDP can bring to the table even on 16/44 and it was pretty impressive - to the point that I was compelled to take the elastic band off my wallet and do the deal. I don't partake of hi-rez yet but the unit I sprung for leaves that door open for when the need or desire arises. As to being a vinyl wannabe, vinyl's not my action. This isn't to say that I have chosen the one true path here - those who want to enjoy their music via that medium are welcome to it. Like TONEPUB I don't see an absolute nor do I see any requirement for one. Some others apparently do. Have fun with that...

D.D.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #176 on: 23 Nov 2011, 06:10 pm »
You might be able to find a few examples of hi-res digital that's superior to previous vinyl versions, but they're few and far between. Much praise is heaped on MFSL Couldn't Stand the Weather, and most say that MFSL Texas Flood is a waste of money and the orig Epic LP is better. At $30/pop it just doesn't seem viable. Once again - potential unrealized.

"However, over the last year I have also done a fair bit of listening to it at dealers and at two audio shows and there's the rub.
I am 100% firm (to my ears) that compared to vinyl, the very best of high resolution digital out there (also $$$) is two dimensional and lacks the micro detail found in vinyl. There is also another issue I find difficult to put an exact finger on, it is the Gestalt of analog music that makes more sense to my brain. You can easily compound that effect by listening to a master tape copy on a properly configured R2R deck, the reproduced music seems to come "alive", organic, more real. The difference between that experience and even mega buck digital is so huge (to my ear) I believe if there could be "some format" better than analog digital is not the path to find it on.
Not a scientist just a listener."

Maybe the very best wasn't auditioned, but for the most part, that's true for many of us. I used to get master tape dubs when I was young and there's usually no comparison. Vinyl tends to sound natural and digital sounds like there's something missing or unnatural. Once you're familiar with that sound, you don't forget. It does seem like these norms are slowly breaking down and I've heard some regular digital that sounds much better than before. I think it becomes a question of availability and cost for the music you listen to. Maybe a 16/44 can sound decent but for the most part they're not that good. Maybe with a certain CDP?  :roll:

Freo-1

« Reply #177 on: 23 Nov 2011, 06:18 pm »
Wayner, you can get exactly the same feeling from a "dialed-in" digital system. BEFORE the analog signal even gets to the cutting head, it goes through a chain of processors: limiters, compressors, de-essers, LF filters, LF summarizers etc. Add to this the usual necessary vinyl evils - surface noise, mandatory frequency response deterioration/distortion on inner grooves, mono low bass, distorted sibilance etc, plus limitations inherent to phono cartridges, turntables, preamps etc, and the picture is rather clear. High-res digital, given identical starting source, will produce a much CLOSER TO ORIGINAL version, read  -"truer high fidelity". I am a vinyl freak, but I have to be objective. And if there were enough good music in high res, I'd switch in a beat. My vinyl rig is no slouch, but a pretty substantial number of my LPs can not compete with their digital WELL MASTERED counterparts. A good example, and it's not even a high-res, is a gold Mastersound CD version of Stevie Ray Voghan's "Couldn't stand the Weather". I have two LPs, one early, and one later, and both of them are absolutely meak compared to the Hoffman CD... If you want an insight into severe problems during mastering, read about Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" sessions, and what Fagen said. They couldn't transfer practically anything onto vinyl, so they used SEVERE LIMITING AND COMPRESSION. He said that the first time they have heard something even remotely close to original tapes was when it was digitally re-mastered.

Relax and accept the way of the future, which is high-res digital. After all, you don't object to it when you are in a movie theater, right? Some of the best and most realistic sounds I've heard were at the movies...

Excellent post.  Thank you for clearly stating the issues I tried to point out eariler, with some additional detail that perhaps should have been fleshed out.

I've had some pretty expensive vinyl rigs over the years myself, but (for me) classical music drove me away from vinyl, largely thanks to more recent developments and improvements with the digital playback chain.

The reel to reel decks should have been the media of choice before digital, but they never caught on mainstream.  There are less engineering problems to overcome with reel to reel compared to vinyl.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #178 on: 23 Nov 2011, 06:39 pm »

Maybe the very best wasn't auditioned, but for the most part, that's true for many of us. I used to get master tape dubs when I was young and there's usually no comparison. Vinyl tends to sound natural and digital sounds like there's something missing or unnatural. Once you're familiar with that sound, you don't forget. It does seem like these norms are slowly breaking down and I've heard some regular digital that sounds much better than before. I think it becomes a question of availability and cost for the music you listen to. Maybe a 16/44 can sound decent but for the most part they're not that good. Maybe with a certain CDP?  :roll:

More condescending closed-minded B.S. :roll:
 I don't think anyone who isn't an absolute zealot ( or an absolute...) would take the position that all CDPs are equal in how they retrieve and process data and that they all sound the same in a given system. Is that also true of all cartridges or all turntables? As you put it, "potential unrealized" - some units will come closer than others to realizing the full potential of any given media.

Don't spill any of that Kool-Aid on yourself while you're chugging it down...it leaves an unappealing stain.

D.D.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #179 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:30 pm »
HI.
(1) I'm reasonably sure that the limitaions with vinyl are indeed mesaureable, and can be backed up as such.
(2) You are entiltled to your opinion, but the engineering mesaurements will sugget otherwise (not to mention the incredible pain it is to even try to get vinyl less noisy than it already is...)

May I know what "engineering measurements" you mean? Frequency response,
harmonic distortions?

Let me tell you, all the tests the audio industries have been using since day one decades ago are irrelevant to what our ears hear & our brain perceive. We need to establish better measurement standards & to use much better equipment to carry out such tests. Otherwise, whatever measured does not tell anything what we hear.

Let me give an everyday example. A tube amp sounds better or a solidstate amp sounds better? For answer is so obvious - a tube amp always sounds much much better than a soldstate amp though a tube amp measures  up to 4-5% THD vs a
a solidstate amp measured only 0.0001% THD.
Why? For those who believe only in measured numbers, I'll explain later, but not here now. This is physics & science, nothing to do with audiophiles' imagination.

If Hi-Rez auido still uses the standard PCM (pulse code modulation) now being employed in CD-audio & DVD-audio & Blue-Ray audio, then whatever Hi-Rez sound one may claim it can NOT touch the sound qulaity of 100% analogue signal transfer.

Why? PCM is to use digital 101010.. to represent analogue signals (music signals) as human ears can only hear analogue signal waveforms. PCM CUTs the audio waveforms into bits of samples which after processing are combined back to the so called "original analogue waveforms.."

Here is the worst problem of PCM, the sample bits do NOT represent 100% the original signal waveform to start with because of its 101010 format, "0" means somethng in the music signal is missing or taken out. So the final combination of the precessed bits can NOT get back the music signal original waveform no matter how high be sampling rate (24bit 192KHz for DVD-audio).
This is digital distortion.

To our ears, such distortion sounds harsh, clinical, cold & unhuman. What  worse is the crucial spartial information in the original recordings lost during the digital-analogue conversion.

On the contrary, the 100% analogue format of LPs allows signals in the LP grooves to transform to electrical signals via the phono cartridge. NO chops up & patching back up like PCM. Our ears tend to like the analogue distortion by LP-cartridge  way better than the digital distortion induced by PCM.

If whoever still claims digital sounds better than analogue , i.e. LP vs CD/DVD/BLue-Ray audio, may I strongly suggest that whoever to spend more time to listen to music, I mean LIVE vs CD or LPs.

FYI, I've been playing DVD-audio for many years on 24bit 192KHz masters.
I still love my many hundreds of LPs over my DVD-audio music, being much more engaging & being-there which PCM digitals lack.

c-J