Are High Res Folks Just Vinyl Wannabies?

wgscott

Re: Are High Res Folks Just Vinyl Wannabies?
« Reply #140 on: 30 Aug 2011, 06:15 am »
Mr. Scott - It makes no sense for you to have 6 records - send them to me. I have everything necessary to enjoy them except perhaps your taste in music. That remains unknown for now.

Well, I kept them because I have some degree of attachment to them.  But if you like, I can make you some digital rips.  Dead Kennedy's "In God We Trust, Inc" and Karl Bohm's Beethoven's 9th are particularly delightful, as is Robert Hunter's Jack of Roses.

I seem to be too inherently low tech to grasp the whole computer based music thang. Every thread I attempt to read on the subject speaks in terms I don't understand and fades into a maelstrom of anagrams and abbreviations. Digital appears to have quite a dissimilar lexicon when compared to old fashioned audio. For me it represents virtual confusion.

Do you have an iPod?  It basically works the same way, but without the restrictions on music quality imposed by the iPod hardware and iTunes. Finding an album is reduced to typing a search string rather than digging through piles of CDs or vinyl albums, and it is much more portable.

If I were heavily invested in vinyl, I would make rips of my favorites primarily for portability.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #141 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:06 am »
Mr. Scott - I have an iMac and an iPhone which, of course, contains an iPod. Those things interact even if I don't want them to. However, the various connections and configurations and equipment options discussed in digital threads are unintelligible to me. I may as well eavesdrop on a conversation in Swahili. I don't get what the specs mean, what's compatible or why and how to make any intelligent choice among the many options.

I haven't learned this stuff because it doesn't come easily to me and because I haven't had to.

Also, having read about crashing hard drives and lost files, I feel more comfortable with my inconvenient tangibility than I would with convenient frustration.

pansixt

« Reply #142 on: 30 Aug 2011, 09:21 pm »
I have way more vinyl selections than digital music files and CD's combined.
And I have about 800 digital music files. And a few CD's.
Some are good, some are great and some just plain lousy.
Just like my vinyl.

Would I retire my records and just listen to digital? Not if I were to live another 53 years.

I would suffer less if I were to retire my digital.
But that is simply because I, Me, Myself feel there is more pleasure to be had from the whole experience which are vinyl recordings.

My 2 channel system is far from tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear.
But sometimes it sounds like it could be. To Me.

I don't mind spending money to achieve better sound with my digital either. And I have recently. And it is a very pleasing. But to ME it will not eclipse my vinyl in sound or pleasure of use. And the only snap, crackle and pop in my home is from a cardboard box and served with milk.
When I listen to music, it is often enjoyed with a more pleasurable refreshment.

But that is just ME. And maybe a few others who have posted as such.

Just keep enjoying music. In any format. Because as long as there is music, we are truly alive.

James

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #143 on: 31 Aug 2011, 12:11 am »
Nice to read a sensible post. Glad I didn't respond to the obnoxious musings about baby boomers and turntable distortion. Knowing what live music sounds like is what it's all about. That frame of reference is the ultimate comparison.

It's been said before, but availability and investment in a media seem to dictate preference. After all, one poster has around equal big bucks invested in both types, media and hardware. So where's the economy? Aren't there DA converters out there that are more than $10K? If someone has an extensive record collection, there might not be a great need to go crazy with digital. Since the CD was introduced, digital has gotten much better. But for the first 10 to 15 yrs it sucked. I have LPs of digital recordings that sound much better than the CD. Even now, with a DA converter they don't compare. There are many CDs made in that time period that suck, so you have to look for the remaster, if there is one. I prefer records anyway. Some of us like cleaning a record and hearing dead silence until the music starts. The Jacket is a tangible thing that can be read w/o a magnifying glass. Playing with cartridges and arms etc is part of our hobby. We enjoy it and those that don't go digital.

It's understandable that many younger people w/o record collections are reluctant to get into vinyl. They may not have the experience of the awful early days of digital. It is more viable now and depending on what you listen to, it might only be available as digital. On the other hand there are old recordings that are available only on a record. I realize the OP was inviting invective responses, but if you don't have experience with clean records and half decent equipment, then you're not qualified to comment. Most seem to agree that's it's not an either/or situation.
neo

Wayner

« Reply #144 on: 31 Aug 2011, 04:03 pm »
Or it was the OPs intent to get some discussion going on the subject, and some responses have been "invective".

Wayner

rab1234

« Reply #145 on: 20 Sep 2011, 07:18 pm »
My shop guy was telling me the other day that there was a piece of equipment that would process analog video like an analog cartridge stylus LP playing rig. No telling what that industry could produce if it was fully investigated. But I do enjoy my CD's SACD's and computer audio (including video and radio of a sort) (lots of convenience).

*Scotty*

« Reply #146 on: 21 Sep 2011, 12:17 am »
Here is a link to the CED wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc
Scotty

orthobiz

« Reply #147 on: 21 Sep 2011, 04:51 pm »
It is not irrefragable that the OP was inviting invective responses.

Wayner is Wayner and you just gotta love him. I know I do! :oops:

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #148 on: 19 Nov 2011, 07:26 pm »
I was looking at a Music Reference amp and clicked on a link for a review. There was some problem with the link so I started browsing. I saw this comment at the end of a review, and thought you might get a kick out of this perspective. The Bastardization of Analog Sound:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/conrad-johnson-pf-1-preamplifier-measurements

The review is from 1990. The comment is from this year.
neo

dlaloum

« Reply #149 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm »
 :thumb:

michaelhigh

« Reply #150 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:27 pm »
I use all three.... :peek: They all sound really good...... :surrender: I really enjoy THE Music thats on each format, thats the idea isn't it?? Who cares what form it comes to us in? :kiss:
I totally echo this sentiment. I have 24/96, 24/192, I have as many free test files as I can locate and download, as well as a 300 CD collection ripped to 16/44.1. I have 200 records, I have every format short of Edison disks and enjoy the uniqueness of every one of them. No need to choose here, it's not hard to be into vinyl when one has a good dollar rack to peruse. It's not hard to be into downloads when MediaMonkey is a breeze to operate, even for a novice like me, and I have fun experimenting and tasting every sample I can try. All good for me.

TONEPUB

« Reply #151 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm »
Whatever happened to just enjoying music, no matter what format it's recorded on?  I've got 8-tracks that don't sound half bad.  I'm happy with digital and with vinyl and I've heard good, bad and mediocre examples of every format I own (except mini disc, none of those sound particularly good.)

Why do so many feel the need to be definitive on this?

As I continue to upgrade my gear, the sound keeps getting better on one side of the fence, then the other.  It's kind of fun, actually.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #152 on: 20 Nov 2011, 12:54 am »
Nothing happened to it TP.  I think most of the sensible people have echoed your sentiment.  And really, unless someone breaks into your house or kidnaps you and makes you listen to some format or the other, anyone can choose the way they want to listen to music.  So what's the big deal?  No elitist from either vinyl or hi rez camps can influence how your system sounds and what you listen to.

TONEPUB

« Reply #153 on: 20 Nov 2011, 01:10 am »
Yep, I agree fully.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #154 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:23 pm »
I was looking at a Music Reference amp and clicked on a link for a review. There was some problem with the link so I started browsing. I saw this comment at the end of a review, and thought you might get a kick out of this perspective. The Bastardization of Analog Sound:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/conrad-johnson-pf-1-preamplifier-measurements

The review is from 1990. The comment is from this year.
neo

The bastardization of anaolg sound..........what a great line.   Another discussion on another forum I mentioned the "voicing" of carts, as there is a whole generation of people who hadn't heard real stereo reproduction, have moved towards the "CD" sound. I gotta believe those who prefer the "neutral/sterile" sound of carts have only digital as their reference.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #155 on: 20 Nov 2011, 08:53 pm »
The bastardization of anaolg sound..........what a great line.   Another discussion on another forum I mentioned the "voicing" of carts, as there is a whole generation of people who hadn't heard real stereo reproduction, have moved towards the "CD" sound. I gotta believe those who prefer the "neutral/sterile" sound of carts have only digital as their reference.

BaMorin.....I think you're being a wee devilish today and trying to stir up trouble with this one.

Please don't anyone bite the baited hook here.

Thank you - John (Facilitator)

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #156 on: 20 Nov 2011, 09:20 pm »
BaMorin.....I think you're being a wee devilish today and trying to stir up trouble with this one.

Please don't anyone bite the baited hook here.

Thank you - John (Facilitator)

You mean besides you?  :P :wink: :wink: :wink:  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #157 on: 20 Nov 2011, 09:55 pm »
Personally, I wish there was more 24/96 and 24/192 music available that was remastered with the same care that MoFi, ORG and others have done, rather than just DVD-a or SACD rips like we're getting now.

I have heard a few of these in various studios, where a clean file was captured from an analog master and the results were stunning.  It had all the warmth of the analog tape without the tracking distortions and dynamic limitations of vinyl.

I do think high res digital has the potential to eclipse vinyl, I just doubt we're going to really get the chance to hear much of it.

I would be willing to pay for some of that music again, if it was coming right off the analog master and mastered with care to 24/192.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #158 on: 20 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm »
I read a few posts here...    :sleep:

Andre2

« Reply #159 on: 21 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm »
From the editor of stereomojo:

IMHO, the EE sounds as good as many turntable/cartridge/phono-pre combos up to around $10,000, perhaps more when playing 24-bit files. From what limited time I've had with the Lampizator, I think it competes with many of the top turntables at any price, whether playing Redbook or 24-bits.

As can be seen here:
http://www.stereomojo.com/Stereomojo%20Six%20DAC%20Shootout.htm/Stereomojo6DacShootoutRound2.htm

So, it is about the sound quality you get from your system.  If such a quality is obtained, vynil setup is not really needed, IMHO.