Internet Radio on BDP-1?

Marius

Re: Internet Radio on BDP-1?
« Reply #100 on: 19 Jun 2011, 11:44 am »
And through the Mpad interface the same. No station names, song playing is shown.

Hi Marius

What are you using for the interface?  PC - MAC - ITouch -IPad?

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:12 pm »
And through the Mpad interface the same. No station names, song playing is shown.

Hi Marius,

Yes that is the way it works currently.  We are trying to give access to ShoutCast Radio going forward.

james

Marius

« Reply #102 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:52 pm »
Great,
Thanks,
Marius
Hi Marius,

Yes that is the way it works currently.  We are trying to give access to ShoutCast Radio going forward.

james

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #103 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:33 am »
Love that you have Radio Paradise 192k.  Really love it.  Thanks.

Phil

« Reply #104 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:00 am »
Hi Marius,

james

Any ETA for this feature?  I know the BDP-1 isn't meant as a streamer, but my wife listens to internet radio stations that aren't on your list of 16 presets (via a Touch; my DAC has only one SPDIF input).  Must keep the peace. 

Phil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:09 am »
Any ETA for this feature?  I know the BDP-1 isn't meant as a streamer, but my wife listens to internet radio stations that aren't on your list of 16 presets (via a Touch; my DAC has only one SPDIF input).  Must keep the peace. 

Phil

Hi Phil

We are working with some new software that allows you to enter your own radio stations and save them in a playlist.   Or send me your favorite station and we can load it for you.  :thumb:

James

PS - I have to say the Internet radio stations through the BDP are really quite good sounding :thumb:

Phil

« Reply #106 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:27 am »
Hi Phil

We are working with some new software that allows you to enter your own radio stations and save them in a playlist.   Or send me your favorite station and we can load it for you.  :thumb:

James

PS - I have to say the Internet radio stations through the BDP are really quite good sounding :thumb:

Thanks for the quick answer, James.  Time to talk with my wife about my next piece of gear.  When will the price increase begin?

Phil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:34 am »
Thanks for the quick answer, James.  Time to talk with my wife about my next piece of gear.  When will the price increase begin?

Phil

AFTER THE NEXT GOOD REVIEW :lol:

Phil

« Reply #108 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:05 am »
AFTER THE NEXT GOOD REVIEW :lol:

Given how the reviews have been going, I guess I better move fast!   :P

Dilbert

« Reply #109 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm »
Hi Phil

Yes, I have been using a Squeezebox for some time and really enjoy it. Especially a station called Sofaspace.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

On the next issue of software for the BDP-1 you will be able to add any (PLS or M3U) ICECAST or SHOUTCAST Internet radio station using the Bryston MINI or MAX interface and save it as a Plalylist :thumb:

james

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:59 pm »
How good does internet radio sound?

Marius

« Reply #112 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:07 pm »
Shoutcast is a great service, on the BDP-1 will be the best. Thank you James!

Hi Folks,

On the next issue of software for the BDP-1 you will be able to add any (PLS or M3U) ICECAST or SHOUTCAST Internet radio station using the Bryston MINI or MAX interface and save it as a Plalylist :thumb:

james

Phil A

« Reply #113 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »

Don't have a BDP-1 but have internet radio on a Squeezebox Touch with an upgraded power supply into my Bryston BDA-1 DAC in the main system and I have it in the office system on a Pioneer 1120 receiver with Mobile Fidelity.  Most the time I listen it is to Linn Radio, either the Jazz or Classical station and at 320bps it is a bit under but near CD quality and sounds great to me.  I also have HD Radio in the main system via the Integra pre/pro but other than set-up of the stations and a short listen I have not used it.  I find the 320bps internet radio stations sound good and also there is much more variety on internet radio vs. what you can get locally.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #114 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »

It depends a lot on the station but reasonably good through the BDP-1. The 16 stations we preloaded are using the highest bitrates I can find and my favorite is the first one - a vocal Jazz station.

james

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #115 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:14 pm »
I agree with James that Internet Radio stations sound very good, indeed, through the BDP-1. Phil, I have added stations by finding the URL on ShoutCast. Through Gnome I copy the URL and then put a station name to the URL as I save it to the playlist, and update the server. Even stations that broadcast at 128 kbs sound good to my ears. The idea of being able to have access to ShoutCast and add one's favourite stations is a great idea.

Phil A

« Reply #116 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:17 pm »
I agree with James that Internet Radio stations sound very good, indeed, through the BDP-1. Phil, I have added stations by finding the URL on ShoutCast. Through Gnome I copy the URL and then put a station name to the URL as I save it to the playlist, and update the server. Even stations that broadcast at 128 kbs sound good to my ears. The idea of being able to have access to ShoutCast and add one's favourite stations is a great idea.

I've used Shoutcast for many of the stations programmed into my Pioneer 1120.  The list was the second post in the thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92285.0

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #117 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:18 pm »

I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I'll add it to the list.

What is the bitrate that the radio stations use?  I was under the asumption that the bitrates were quite low and as such, hadn't really thought much about listening for any type of critical listening.

George

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2011, 04:28 pm by James Tanner »

RLL1

« Reply #118 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:27 pm »

What is the bitrate that the radio stations use?  I was under the asumption that the bitrates were quite low and as such, hadn't really thought much about listening for any type of critical listening.

George

320kbps is the highest I have been able to find on squeezebox.com

Rick

Phil A

« Reply #119 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:28 pm »

George

George, they use a variety of bitrates.  320bps is the highest I've found.  It sounds quite good on Linn Radio.  If you go to shoutcast.com you can do a sort by bitrate (sometimes the display is not 100% accurate) and get a feel for what is out there.