Internet Radio on BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Internet Radio on BDP-1?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:13 pm »
I don't mean this the wrong way James, but why limit it to what Bryston has chosen?  If you ask 100 people what their top ten are, you'll get 1000 answers.  While frustrating for you guys, it's even more frustrating for the buyer.  Wouldahoy buy a Magnum Dynalab tuner that only gets 10 stations that the manufacturer thinks you should listen to?  A car stereo with the same issue?  I say go all out Internet tuner or not at all.

I know the BDP-1's primary function isn't Internet radio.  That feature is more of a convenience than anything else.  But if you're contemplating adding it, do it right IMO.  Not to mention, what'll the hifi rags say about that in a review?  I'd imagine they'd say how hard would it have been to add full Internet radio. I think everyone but the most die hard Brystonites would have a problem with it too.

Hi Stu,

Without hosting an internet radio site on our server it is not doable - maybe you're correct though I should just forget the whoile thing :duh:

james

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:21 pm »
I respectfully disagree, Stu Pitt. I humbly submit what I think would be a logical way to go about determining a way to choose which  stations to include.
       First, and foremost, include only those stations that have a high enough bit rate to substantially benifit from the BDP/BDA combo. Those stations that are subpar, in this respect, can be handled by a computer streaming to the USB input at the owners convenience.
    Conduct a poll to to see which high bit stations are the most popular.

skunark

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:28 pm »
Hi Stu,

Without hosting an internet radio site on our server it is not doable - maybe you're correct though I should just forget the whoile thing :duh:

james

Stu has a point, but what's preventing you from making it configurable via the setup menu?   Perhaps with the success of the BDP, maybe get an additional linux/web programmer in house.   There's so much that device can do, why hold it back.   

I don't plan to use the BDP to stream internet radio though, I would rather see NTFS/EXT3/EXT4 support and faster initial boot time on the update process.

joey116

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:44 pm »
I don't mind a limit of 10 stations, I was hoping they could be chosen by the user and added to the BDP-1 thru software.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2011, 05:24 pm »
Just tossing in a few cents here...

I think the internet radio idea is a pretty bad one. There are about 7 something billion people on the planet right now, and they all have a different taste in music. Offering 12 stations on the BDP will only cover the musical taste of one person: the one programming them, who obviously will not be the same person giving it a home in his or her rack.

Next to that there is the transport problem. How do you know that the internet connection from the user is good enough to actually guarantee an uninterrupted stream without the need to buffer every 20 seconds? I am on a pretty decent connection here, but any station over 256 kbps needs to "buffer" every 20 to 30 seconds or so, simply because the connection between here and the sending server is not good and or fast enough.

It also raises a few eyebrows... You do not allow for streaming from a computer because of "bandwidth problems" (even though a blu-ray signal is transferred over most home networks without any problems) but when it comes to radio things suddenly are no problem? Kinda makes me go "hmmm..."

I'd say: work on other issues first. Like the whole indexing thing. Add the small "write" function which places the whole index on the USB drive/stick, so that it does not have to load for quite some time. Get it to accept NTFS formatting. And other things like that...

Welly123

« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:46 pm »
Just tossing in a few cents here...

I think the internet radio idea is a pretty bad one. There are about 7 something billion people on the planet right now, and they all have a different taste in music. Offering 12 stations on the BDP will only cover the musical taste of one person: the one programming them, who obviously will not be the same person giving it a home in his or her rack.

Next to that there is the transport problem. How do you know that the internet connection from the user is good enough to actually guarantee an uninterrupted stream without the need to buffer every 20 seconds? I am on a pretty decent connection here, but any station over 256 kbps needs to "buffer" every 20 to 30 seconds or so, simply because the connection between here and the sending server is not good and or fast enough.

It also raises a few eyebrows... You do not allow for streaming from a computer because of "bandwidth problems" (even though a blu-ray signal is transferred over most home networks without any problems) but when it comes to radio things suddenly are no problem? Kinda makes me go "hmmm..."

I'd say: work on other issues first. Like the whole indexing thing. Add the small "write" function which places the whole index on the USB drive/stick, so that it does not have to load for quite some time. Get it to accept NTFS formatting. And other things like that...

I'm not particularly fussed about the Internet radio function, I may or may not use it but it could be a nice-to-have feature. If it is to be implemented, then only Global stations should be included i.e. no regional restrictions… that would be really frustrating otherwise.

I totally agree with giving priority to addressing current owners concerns first, boot time and NTFS support being at the top of my list, and have been for months now… and still waiting.

Regards

Russell

werd

« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2011, 08:06 pm »
Hello folks

The last couple of days i have participated in a beta testing of 10 internet radio stations loaded onto my bdp1. This  came in on a software upgrade that reset your factory settings. The upgrade came in with two factory improvements including load times of drives feeding the bdp and radio.

I am not really a big internet radio fan. For obvious reasons most being  streaming sounds bottlenecked. Having said that  having internet radio on the bdp has been a ton of fun. The immediate impact is the loss of resolution but this was no surprise. But what it made it fun was having a further improved option of running radio through my 2 ch rig where i normally would not use radio.

The 10 channels are factory preset but can be changed up by Bryston.

The thing that i find interesting is how much the bdp/bda rescued the radio broadcasts. The resolution isnt great but you get the Bryston Hardware. The Bryston hardware really unleashed the beats. So where you lose on the resolution what remains intact is the prat. It does show me how much i enjoy the vibe you get from the Bdp/bda combo.

Some of the stations are ghetto but some are pretty good with what sounds like 192 or 256khb playback. I pretty sure this is getting release so i would recommend everyone get the software  and post what they think.

p.s

this is not an April fools joke...lol

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2011, 08:14 pm »
Hi werd,

Thanks for helping with the test.  All the stations currently loaded are 320 bit rate except 2 which are 256.

james

PS - remind me again what prat means :duh:

werd

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2011, 08:20 pm »
Hi werd,

Thanks for helping with the test.  All the stations currently loaded are 320 bit rate except 2 which are 256.

james

Thats awesome, the first day there were some nasties. They seem more consistant now. Its all good. I didnt even consider radio when i bought this so its all gravy.

Prat = the beats.  pace rhythm timing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 1 Apr 2011, 08:26 pm »
Thats awesome, the first day there were some nasties. They seem more consistant now. Its all good. I didnt even consider radio when i bought this so its all gravy.

Prat = the beats.  pace rhythm timing.

Reboot as I added 2 new stations this afternoon.

james

werd

« Reply #30 on: 1 Apr 2011, 08:40 pm »
Good one - radio zappa.  :)

I was going to recommend ditching the upsample in the bda but i see a use for it.  Makes it better.

mpv

« Reply #31 on: 2 Apr 2011, 02:31 pm »
Hi Stu,

james
Maybe Bryston could offer 2 separate firmware upgrades.One with the Radio and one without.
I would love to have the Radio Option and JazzFm  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 2 Apr 2011, 02:35 pm »
Maybe Bryston could offer 2 separate firmware upgrades.One with the Radio and one without.
I would love to have the Radio Option and JazzFm  :)

Hi MPV

I am listening to Adore Jazz at this moment :thumb:

mpv

« Reply #33 on: 2 Apr 2011, 03:06 pm »
Hi MPV

I am listening to Adore Jazz at this moment :thumb:
This means soon we will have Radio on BDP ? How about a Beta firmware for who want ?
cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 2 Apr 2011, 04:29 pm »
This means soon we will have Radio on BDP ? How about a Beta firmware for who want ?
cheers

Sure - email me.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 3 Apr 2011, 04:08 am »
OK, I've reconsidered. How about the alarm clock?

Nap.

Give me a week

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 3 Apr 2011, 04:18 am »
Memo: Internet Radio Stations on BDP-1

There is a new feature on the most recent software (March 28 2011) in the BDP-1

There are 10 Internet Radio sites available.

We picked a selection of 10 good quality stations with a variety of content. We can change these stations going forward as we get feedback from our customers.

Your BDP-1  ‘must’ be connected to your home network and be accessible to the Internet. You access the radio stations under ‘PLAYLIST’ on whatever device (iPad, iTouch, laptop or desk computer etc.)  The Internet radio stations will be listed as ‘RADIO1’ and you load them to the playlist exactly as you would any other playlist. Then you can scroll through the different stations or select them individually as required.

The station will show up as call letters when they are loaded initially to the playlist but will indicate Song and Artist on your remote interface when selected.

This feature is not intended to replace the thousands of radio stations available on the Internet. It is simply a sampling of stations as an added feature for our customers on their BDP-1 Digital Player. We have tried to pick stations with the highest audio quality available given Internet streaming limitations.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 5 Apr 2011, 01:17 am »
Sent: April-04-11 8:49 PM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: BDP-1 Software

Hi James,

I’ve installed the recent March 28th 2011 update that can play some Internet radio stations

The quality is excellent.  I have a SONOS media server that has been modified to upscale the sampling thus reduced jitter, in theory, attached to the BDA. 

The SONOS can receive internet radio as well but the quality comparison goes to the BDP-1 hands down.  Ripped CD’s sound better through the BDP-1 than through the BCD-1 for some reason as well.

audioblazer

« Reply #38 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:55 pm »
Hi James,

Finally I pulled a long Ethernet cable ( probably 100ft) from my Network thru the ceiling to my dedicated hifi room. Love the Avro light classical high def, Fm adore jazz & country music channel . However I can't play station 98.239.137 & Rarita bay radio - serious drop out . Wonder why. Other than that I m happy to be to access to Internet radio. Song quality is passable & certainly better than what I can get from my home country radio broadcast. Would have love radio broadcast from different language eg French ( even though I don't knw French) & Mandarin to give it an international flavour
Thks for the walk through during my software upgrade .1st class service from a 1st class company

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:00 pm »
Hi James,

Finally I pulled a long Ethernet cable ( probably 100ft) from my Network thru the ceiling to my dedicated hifi room. Love the Avro light classical high def, Fm adore jazz & country music channel . However I can't play station 98.239.137 & Rarita bay radio - serious drop out . Wonder why. Other than that I m happy to be to access to Internet radio. Song quality is passable & certainly better than what I can get from my home country radio broadcast. Would have love radio broadcast from different language eg French ( even though I don't knw French) & Mandarin to give it an international flavour
Thks for the walk through during my software upgrade .1st class service from a 1st class company

Yes I think it has something to do with servers from country to country allowing the station to play? The one you can not play is from San Francisco I believe.

I really like the first station which is vocal adore jazz and the 3rd station which has a really nice full range sound to it.

james