Internet Radio on BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Internet Radio on BDP-1?
« Reply #80 on: 13 May 2011, 10:36 am »
James,

I have feelings of envy. Could I too possibly have Planet Rock?

Kyri.

Hi Kyri,

Reboot your BDP-1.

james

saveloy

« Reply #81 on: 13 May 2011, 12:00 pm »
Thanks James.  I'll do that as soon as I get home.

Kyri

mpv

« Reply #82 on: 15 May 2011, 05:08 pm »
Hi Kyri,

Reboot your BDP-1.

james

What am I missing here?
I thought we all have same radio stations regarding the latest software. James,if I will reboot my BDP-1 ,I can get every station I asked for? Confused  :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 15 May 2011, 05:21 pm »
What am I missing here?
I thought we all have same radio stations regarding the latest software. James,if I will reboot my BDP-1 ,I can get every station I asked for? Confused  :roll:

Its been kind of fun so far :lol:  I think some think I can target their particular BDP-1 and add the stations they want :thumb:  Well I have to fess up - the stations are loaded on our server so with a reboot all stations are the same. :thumb:

james

mpv

« Reply #84 on: 15 May 2011, 05:35 pm »
Its been kind of fun so far :lol:  I think some think I can target their particular BDP-1 and add the stations they want :thumb:  Well I have to fess up - the stations are loaded on our server so with a reboot all stations are the same. :thumb:

james

I knew you are not a wizard. :green:
Is there a way to choose our own set up from our end? I would love some radio channels from my country. :D
thanks again James for BDP/BDA combo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 15 May 2011, 07:40 pm »
Sent: May-15-11 2:02 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Internet Radio

Hi James:

I read today that you’ve been listening to internet radio via the BDP and finding it good. I’ve been doing so for the past week (mostly in 128), and I think is is very good – for one thing I’m still getting that wonderful black, black background characteristic of listening to my FLAC files. Best way of listening to internet radio I’ve heard so far. It’s not the main selling point for the BDP, but should be one of them, I think. It’s especially good to know you can get a very good sound when you just want to listen to something other than your own collection of music.

David

Yes I am a little surprised – it does not seem to be affected by 64 vs 128 vs 320 etc.  Some stations just sound better than others – not sure why?

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 15 May 2011, 07:42 pm »

Is there a way to choose our own set up from our end? I would love some radio channels from my country. :D

Previous Post:

STREAMING INTERNET MUSIC TO BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER USING GNOME

Hi Folks - I recieved a terrific PDF from a customer using GNOME as the interface for the BDP-1 digital player. It describes how to use GNOME as a way to get streamed radio stations from all over the world to play on the BDP-1.

Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send you the PDF - (it's 1M)

james

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #87 on: 17 May 2011, 02:23 am »
What are the stations we are getting on the BDP-1 ? I have the new software and under Radio 1 all there is numbers such as:
72.13.83.77:608
145.58.33.95:809
72.13.83.99:801
208.76.152.72:800
rp_192.og
icecast.php?i=planetrock.mp
68.195.207.45:800
208.53.158.48:978
72.13.83.103:781

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #88 on: 17 May 2011, 05:41 am »
Does the upsampling work incremetally or does it automatically got to 176/24 when you are tuned into internet radio? Also, when using a cd player thru the BDA1 pushing the upsample button, does it only upsample to 192 or can 96 be had? I'm only asking because my BDA1 is only 2 weeks old and I'm not sure how to operate itjust yet. I had a Cary CD player that I could upsamle all the way to 768 and each push of the button was incremental.

JJC1,

it's important to understand that any sample rate once it is defined can't be 'changed' anymore (think of it as a 'digital corset'). by reading your post I assume that you think that for example a 44.1 signal can be converted into a true 176.4 signal...that's simply not the case. what the BDA-1 does is it 'only' reads the incoming sample rate with a higher clock frequency.
it's the same with recording a cd for example. only by adjusting the computer's soundcard to a higher sample rate than 44.1/16 doesn't mean that the cd-signal is indeed higher resoluted...you cannot change/expand the digital frame of a sample rate. technically speaking it works- but it is not really high resolution.
what you need is material that is recorded in 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and/or 192khz@24bit from the analog domain in order to experience high res sound.

anyone may correct me here but this is how I understand it...

al.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2011, 06:22 am by alexone »

Alpha10

« Reply #89 on: 18 May 2011, 02:02 pm »
Hi James,

I seem to remember when I had a play with using Gnome to stream internet radio, i tworked very well, but only with certain file extensions, are there any plans to add more support to common formats?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 18 May 2011, 02:15 pm »
Hi James,

I seem to remember when I had a play with using Gnome to stream internet radio, i tworked very well, but only with certain file extensions, are there any plans to add more support to common formats?

Cheers

I am looking at that as we go along but it seems like our customers are doing a better job of researching this issue than me :duh:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #91 on: 24 May 2011, 03:53 pm »
Hi Folks,

Added these stations to the Internet Radio on the BDP-1 Playlist by popular demand:

Last 6:

Grateful Dead                           
Otto's Baroque                             
Classical Guitar                         
Guitar & Piano                               
AVRO Baroque around the Clock 
AVRO Klassiek Ziel & Zaligheid   

Remember you have to reboot to see them.

james

jjc1

« Reply #92 on: 24 May 2011, 07:56 pm »

JJC1,

it's important to understand that any sample rate once it is defined can't be 'changed' anymore (think of it as a 'digital corset'). by reading your post I assume that you think that for example a 44.1 signal can be converted into a true 176.4 signal...that's simply not the case. what the BDA-1 does is it 'only' reads the incoming sample rate with a higher clock frequency.
it's the same with recording a cd for example. only by adjusting the computer's soundcard to a higher sample rate than 44.1/16 doesn't mean that the cd-signal is indeed higher resoluted...you cannot change/expand the digital frame of a sample rate. technically speaking it works- but it is not really high resolution.
what you need is material that is recorded in 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and/or 192khz@24bit from the analog domain in order to experience high res sound.

anyone may correct me here but this is how I understand it...

al.
Thanks for that,alexone. Not being a computer expert, that gives me a better understanding of what's going on. I had been wondering why I should download files at 192khz when 96khz files were available and then upsampled to 192. Now I see why.

alexone

« Reply #93 on: 25 May 2011, 06:00 am »
JJC1,

glad my explaination worked for you :D. this beeing said, there is one benefit that should be considered as useful: you can always "go down" from a higher sample rate to another. those who have tons of vinyl are the lucky ones...they just choose the high resolution they want and then they convert it to any lower sample rate that may be needed.

so if you have analog material like vinyl you may go from:

- 192/24 or 96/24 down to 48/24 or 48/16

- 176.4/24 or 88.2/24 down to 44.1/16 which is cd/redbook standard.

...so use the correct "multiples" :wink:. 192 and 96 are multiples of 48.
176.4 and 88.2 are multiples of 44.1.

al.

jjc1

« Reply #94 on: 25 May 2011, 02:06 pm »
JJC1,

glad my explaination worked for you :D. this beeing said, there is one benefit that should be considered as useful: you can always "go down" from a higher sample rate to another. those who have tons of vinyl are the lucky ones...they just choose the high resolution they want and then they convert it to any lower sample rate that may be needed.

so if you have analog material like vinyl you may go from:

- 192/24 or 96/24 down to 48/24 or 48/16

- 176.4/24 or 88.2/24 down to 44.1/16 which is cd/redbook standard.

...so use the correct "multiples" :wink:. 192 and 96 are multiples of 48.
176.4 and 88.2 are multiples of 44.1.

al.
You have lost me again. First off, why wud one want to downsample to a lower resolution. Secondly, as far as vinyl is concerned, I assume you're talking about using an accessory that converts vinyl to digital? And why downsample to cd/redbook standard?

alexone

« Reply #95 on: 25 May 2011, 06:09 pm »
JJC1,

IF you want a cd then any sample rate will be converted automatically into 44.1/16. i didn't meant to say that it is always necessary to sample down a high-resolution file...just in case if the need arises. so therefore it can be 'better' to use the correct multiples IF someone knows what afterwards is going to happen to these files. otherwise only enjoy your files of any sample rate while playing them with the BDP-1.

al.

Marius

« Reply #96 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:17 pm »
Hi James,

this is what internetradio looks like on my BDP/Max interface. And it won't play anything. Ie, I can see in it playing in the interface on my mac, but no sound whatsoever.

As you can see there are no station names, but only ip addresses. Everytime I click Radio1 in the Max interface, (which I did to refresh the list I thought) it on the contrary adds the same stations ip addresses below the list. Print screen is too small, so maybe you can just get a glimpse, but the radiostations are listed at the end beneath my previously loaded usb-drive. I have to scroll down all the way to see them. Is it correct there is no separate listing of only the radiostations
 Hope you can help.

grts,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm »
Hi Marius - it sounds like you are loading them mutiple times.  The iP adresses come up but when you play them in MPOD or MPAD or GNOME they will show the song and artist. 

In MAX the IP address when you click on it - will show artist and song in the window at the top of the MAX and in the playlist on the right it will show all the stations loaded just like a playlist.

Its possible those stations are not allowed in your area?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm »
Hi Marius

What are you using for the interface?  PC - MAC - ITouch -IPad?

James

Marius

« Reply #99 on: 19 Jun 2011, 11:41 am »
oops, I did not check the square in front of the ip-addresses. :duh: :duh: sorry.

listening to beautiful guitar music on 38.107.220.224:802 right now.

MAx interface. but no station names. Where can I find those?

Marius

Hi Marius

What are you using for the interface?  PC - MAC - ITouch -IPad?

James