Internet Radio on BDP-1?

Phil A

Re: Internet Radio on BDP-1?
« Reply #40 on: 15 Apr 2011, 08:28 pm »
I don't have a BDP-1 but have noticed some drops outs here and there on some stations.  May have to do with buffering, not sure.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 20 Apr 2011, 11:45 am »
STREAMING INTERNET MUSIC TO BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER USING GNOME

Hi Folks - I recieved a terrific PDF from a customer using GNOME as the interface for the BDP-1 digital player. It describes how to use GNOME as a way to get streamed radio stations from all over the world to play on the BDP-1. :thumb:

Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send you the PDF - (it's 1M)

james

Alpha10

« Reply #42 on: 20 Apr 2011, 11:54 am »
Sounds interesting, you have mail James  :D

Cheers

Hi Folks - I recieved a terrific PDF from a customer using GNOME as the interface for the BDP-1 digital player. It describes how to use GNOME as a way to get streamed radio stations from all over the world to play on the BDP-1. :thumb:

james

werd

« Reply #43 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:27 pm »

james

Hi

Are these your 10 or any ten from all over the world?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:35 pm »
Hi

Are these your 10 or any ten from all over the world?

No these are totally independent of the 10 stations we include.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #45 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:42 pm »
Hi James,

Just sent you an email, as I cannot get any of the BBC radio streams to work this way, but I will try a little longer.

I have thought of another tip people may find useful (but I have to credit my 10 year old daughter...) if you like podcasts, when you do the right click save as you just download directly onto your HDD/USB pens on the BDP and you can just play them instantly  :D

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2011, 10:29 am »
Gentlemen,

My apologies, I guess I haven't tried to add music stations with .asx file extensions and thus didn't realize these streams weren't working. I tried the BBC URL stream links and got the same error. I have streamed .asx files on my network using VLC media player (free download and plays practically everything) so assumed it would work. Therefore, updating to the latest firmware as I quickly suggested will not make a difference although, updating to the latest version is always a good idea.

I tried various ASX/ASF audio codecs to see if GNOME would use them to accept the .asx stream for playback on the BDP-1 but no luck. So the stream is redirected to the BDP-1 "as-is" which means the BDP-1 needs to handle the .asx stream (or .pls stream which is another format that has been reported to not work).

The BDP-1 plays so many audio formats that it is probably just a matter of incorporating these other formats (i.e. codecs) in a new firmware version.

Still the main idea is there and there are a lot of very good internet radios stations ...it would be nice for everyone to pass on the really goods URL streams that currently work and hopefully a firmware update will allow for the other formats which would be awesome!

Cheers,

Ken

Gentlemen,

I can add URLs with the .pls audio stream no problem...my BDP-1 has been updated to firmware version 0.98. There is a site that is really good that has so many genres which is at http://www.di.fm/ . From this site is the interface to their website. What you want is the "Listen Now!" link. This opens up the different genres of music to select from. Go to the one you want , example "Chillout" as the selection. Then select the quality of stream you want, example  the highest one "MP3 Streams" and select "96k Cable/DSL". Right Click and select properties to obtain the streaming URL address in the display window (these happen to be .pls format streams). Now in GNOME select to add a URL and paste in the URL address. When you enter it stations should come up in the playlist and be playable. I am playing the example with my BDP-1 now and the digital stream is very nice. I have been able to add any of these.

Hopefully a BDP-1 firmware update will allow the .asx and .pls, etc. natively. So far I am super impressed with my BDP-1, and the rest of my Bryston gear! :)

Cheers,

Ken

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2011, 11:59 am »
Thanks Ken -works great and once you create a playlist in Gnome it shows up on MAX and MINI and also MPOD and MPAD. :thumb:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2011, 02:35 pm »
James & Ken: 

Thanks Ken for your suggestions. Unfortunately, my favourite music is instrumental jazz. I occasionally use Internet Radio as background music, so I can tolerate lower quality sound up to a point for this application.

Knowing that “pls” works, I tried a new way to add stations for the BD)-1. I opened my Media Monkey. Went to Net Radio. Opened Shoutcast, one of the biggest Internet Radio Directories in the world. Found the stations I wanted. I already had added my all-time favourite – Fallingstars from Korea (No ads, no talk, 24/7 stream, great mix of jazz) – went to properties. Copied the URL. Pasted it into the URL tool on Gnome. Then added it to my playlist. And Bingo!!! Works like a charm. Now all my favourite jazz stations are there right along side what James has put under Radio. Exactly what I was hoping the BDP-1 would do.

I’ve been following the debate about Internet Radio on the BDP-1. I think it’s just a good idea to show customers that the device can be used this way. It seems that what I found could be the solution to the debate.

1. Keep a small selection on the BDP-1 firmware to give customers a sample of Internet Radio.

2. Explain to customers they can add their own selections. I highly recommend Media Monkey/Shoutcast because of the size of the directory and the ease of adding stations.

Works for me and I think it would work for others.

David

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:54 pm »
James and David,

Thanks for the MediaMonkey/Shoutcast tip. This works great and makes it simple to find good internet stations and easily obtain the URL stream address for use in GNOME to send to the BDP-1. When I get time I'll revise my BDP-1/GNOME guide to include your really nice method.

With respect to the debates going around on the net, a lot of people are under the impression that the BDP-1 only plays music from a USB HDD or thumb drive as was I originally. I was more than thrilled to get the BDP-1 to just play digital music (high quality lossless and hi-rez) at audiophile quality. A lot were slamming it for not being able to play internet radio which turns out to not be the case. In addition, there is no comparison with respect to the playback quality between the BDP-1 and a home computer integrated into an AV system especially as the music stream quality increases.

"Too much music and not enough listening time"

Ken Couvillion

mr_bill

« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2011, 05:19 pm »
Don't you have to either stream or wireless connect to play internet radio?  I don't see how you can accomplish this with only a thumb drive?  (scratching my head)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2011, 05:28 pm »
Don't you have to either stream or wireless connect to play internet radio?  I don't see how you can accomplish this with only a thumb drive?  (scratching my head)

Hi Bill,

Your using your wireless home network to stream the music to the BDP-1 not the thumbdrive.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2011, 07:56 pm »
Thanks James,
I didn't know the BDP-1 could receive a wireless signal.
Does it have a receiver and antenna like the Logitech Transporter?

srb

« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2011, 08:02 pm »
I didn't know the BDP-1 could receive a wireless signal.
Does it have a receiver and antenna like the Logitech Transporter?

I don't think it can.  I think he meant to say "home network w/ Internet connection", not "wireless home network"?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2011, 09:36 pm »

I don't think it can.  I think he meant to say "home network w/ Internet connection", not "wireless home network"?

Correct - sorry screwed up - it is using the Ethernet connection.

james

werd

« Reply #55 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:31 pm »
Hello

Been getting other radio on the bdp. I notice that its only .pls that i can get it to work. If the radio station lets you use other or any apple there usually is a .pls file there. It won't work off windows media or real player streams. . Still lots of accessible radio out there.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:39 pm »
Hello

Been getting other radio on the bdp. I notice that its only .pls that i can get it to work. If the radio station lets you use other or any apple there usually is a .pls file there. It won't work off windows media or real player streams. . Still lots of accessible radio out there.

How do you find the quality?

james

werd

« Reply #57 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:05 pm »
How do you find the quality?

james

Its the same, the stations i was finding were in the 192 range so a little less then what you have loaded. You go panning for station nuggets. You have to find the ones that give you the .pls extension. Not all do and a lot of them are ghetto.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:08 pm »
Its the same, the stations i was finding were in the 192 range so a little less then what you have loaded. You go panning for station nuggets. You have to find the ones that give you the .pls extension. Not all do and a lot of them are ghetto.

I loaded 2 new stations (5 and 6) of the 10 included - reboot and see what you think :thumb:

james

werd

« Reply #59 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:36 pm »
I loaded 2 new stations (5 and 6) of the 10 included - reboot and see what you think :thumb:

james

got her powered down for the weekend. I will  let you know on tues.