Amp puzzle - can't make up my mind

Big Red Machine

Amp puzzle - can't make up my mind
« on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:20 am »

I am going around and ‘round on which mono amps to buy as I rebuild my system in anticipation of Soundscapes.  I am weighing many attributes:

Sound-wise, my investigation is the Macs are out and I never know which model of Krell is currently hip or too expensive to re-cap.

Matching the Samsons to my Dude is probably a no-brainer but it is at least 7 weeks to get a pair built due to the queue of work at their shop.

Not sure if I should make the wait for the Samsons and buy a gap amp or skip the Samsons and just get something else right away.

Have considered a used Krell stereo amp for now to try their sound but am afraid I might like it!  I hate to be without tunes for another 2 months as I have been w/o a preamp for 6 months now.  The Dude is almost finished and ready to ship.

Also, the Samsons are being slowly discontinued so I may not get another chance.

Thread on TRL Samsons:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81091.0
Thead on McCormack DNA750 monos:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89817.0

What am I missing?

bummrush

Re: Amp puzzle - can't make up my mind
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:29 am »
Look at Coda,Innersound, Legacy amps also

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:41 am »
Look at Coda,Innersound, Legacy amps also

Yep.  I did and have little insight if they will work for me.  Lots of current from some of these for Electrostatics so not sure I need the amps.

nhpm510

• Trading refs: A'gon, Emo boards same user name
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:16 am »
Someone has an MPS-1 (emo) for sale on Chase home theater. Nice gap amp with good resale. (not associated with seller)

werd

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:38 am »
Hi

Are you still using the Bat pre/power ?

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2011, 10:48 am »
You could bridge a couple of Van Alstine Ultra Double 550 amps using a Van Alstine Vision Phase inverter Bridge. Just a thought. I've been very happy with my Van Alstine amps.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:16 am »
Red,

As a frequent flipper of gear, you know better than me but the Krells reputation varies so much by vintage and model I'd be leary of it's resale value.

Have you written off digital?  Lots of bang for the buck in many of them, especially at the power levels you seem to be after.  I just Agon'd a pair of Channel Island Audio D-100's (not the Mk IIs) and am impressed.  Dusty has 500 watters. 

From my brief listen at AKFest 2010 the Soundscapes deserve the best and fortunately for you they'd be in a dedicated room, or else you'd be shopping for all new furniture as they'd blow away all but the very, very best furnishings available.

Wolfman

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2011, 01:33 am »
Big Red-A pair of 200 watt monos would be expensive,but Clayton Audio amps shine on 4 ohm loads.    :thumb:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:47 am »
Pete, check out the Sanders Magtech.  You can try it for 30 days no risk, and Sanders pays shipping both ways.

KJ

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:03 am »
Quote from: Wolfman
A pair of 200 watt monos would be expensive, but Clayton Audio amps shine on 4 ohm loads.

If you're ever in the Chicago area, JAMn Joe has a couple pair of these set up for listening.  They definitely put out some power.

mfsoa

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2011, 03:10 am »
Get Tommy to build you a pr of Cherry Plus monos, with each one having a 1500 watt transformer and the capacitance of both channels of a regular Cherry Plus. Not sure if he can do this but it would sound good.

Thanks, it's been fun spending your money.

-Mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:31 pm »
These are good suggestions.  I wish I had more money to spend!  Right now I am leaning toward the Samons as the folks who have more experience than me in this have already compared other high end amps such as Belles, Mac, Parasound JC-1's, Conrad Johnson, Electrocompaniet, Intuitive Design Coordinate monoblocks, etc. and found the Samsons to be more musical than the others while still being an amplifier and having great dynamics and drive.

One owner has even owned or compared the Samsons to all of these:  Canary CA339 monoblock amps 300B P/P
Thor TPA 30 monoblocks
CJ MV 60
VAC Musicbloc monoblock amps
Wright Sound 2A3 monoblocks
Bruce Moore Dual 70
Various hybrid Blue Circle amps
Parasound JC1 monoblocks
Mcintosh MC402
Belles 350A monoblocks
Belles Reference 350 stereo amp
Monarchy SE160 monoblocks
Marsh a400s
Joule VAMP
Wavac SET amp (dont recall the model number)
Cary V12R stereo amp
Thor TPA 30 monoblocks
CJ MV 60
Wright Sound 2A3 monoblocks
Bruce Moore Dual 70
Various hyrid Blue Circle amp
Parasound JC1 monoblocks
Mcintosh MC402
Belles 350A monoblocks
Monarchy SE160 monoblocks
Marsh a400s
Joule VAMP
Wavac SET amp (dont recall the model number)
Mcalister PP150S stero amp
Butler TBD 5150
Deja Vu EL34 prototype stereo amp
MFA D75 monoblock amps

I have had some recent conversations with Paul Weitzel and I can get my amps to match my Dude preamp anodizing.  So i would end up with a really customized look which is really what I wanted AND get some great amplifiers direct from the manufacturer for way less than retail amps, even some of them at 50% used Agon pricing.

In the mean time I have also found a deal on a temporary Forte Model 5 amp from jd3 to tide me over in my hour of need.

The Dude ships today!  100 lbs crated up!!

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:47 pm »
Big Red
I second the view of JLM about looking at digital. Many purest don't like them. I have owned GAS Son of Ampzillas, PS Audio, Arcam and now have Nuforce 9VSe amd IMHO they sound great. I think they still offer a 30 day trial and if so all you pay for is the shipping and they dont weigh much at all. I think you would be surprised. 6Moons did a revew but I dont have the link. I think it is on the Nuforce wesite

BPoletti

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:58 pm »
Hmmm...  There's no mention of the Herron amps.  Not that I'm biased or anything (I have three pairs), but they seem better to me than any of the amps listed in this thread.  And I've heard many of them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:59 pm »
Big Red
I second the view of JLM about looking at digital. Many purest don't like them. I have owned GAS Son of Ampzillas, PS Audio, Arcam and now have Nuforce 9VSe amd IMHO they sound great. I think they still offer a 30 day trial and if so all you pay for is the shipping and they dont weigh much at all. I think you would be surprised. 6Moons did a revew but I dont have the link. I think it is on the Nuforce wesite

I've owned Wyred, Rowland, Sunfire, PS Audio, and Cherry amps.  No more digital for me for a while.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2011, 07:06 pm »
I can offer up a 2011 set of Clayton M300's with the new 1 KVA transformer for a very good demo price of $10,500. The new list price is $16,000. These are the best Clayton Audio makes.

As a happy owner of the M-300's I thought the M2000 is the "best" amp that Clayton Audio makes. 

jd3

« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2011, 07:52 pm »
In the mean time I have also found a deal on a temporary Forte Model 5 amp from jd3 to tide me over in my hour of need.

Glad I could help you out :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm »
Why don't you try the new Soundscapes with your BAT before buying a new amp?

Changing too many things all at the same time will add to your puzzle.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:19 pm »
Why don't you try the new Soundscapes with your BAT before buying a new amp?

Changing too many things all at the same time will add to your puzzle.

BAT is gone and SSes are not even ordered yet.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #19 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:25 pm »
Order a powered (with digital EQ for room modes) bass SS.   :o  I am sure DM can work it out.   Your puzzle just got new pieces.  8)