Amp puzzle - can't make up my mind

Big Red Machine

Re: Amp puzzle - can't make up my mind
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:39 pm »
Order a powered (with digital EQ for room modes) bass SS.   :o  I am sure DM can work it out.   Your puzzle just got new pieces.  8)

What are friends for? :duh:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:53 pm »
What are friends for? :duh:

Trying to save you money.  You won't need so much power anymore.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:37 pm »
You could bridge a couple of Van Alstine Ultra Double 550 amps using a Van Alstine Vision Phase inverter Bridge. Just a thought. I've been very happy with my Van Alstine amps.

It is interesting you offered this suggestion. I recently spotted a pair of clean relatively new fet valve 550 on Audigon for very reasonable price. I would just have to add inverter to my pre or buy one. That would be a ridiculously low $1.16 per mono amp (estimated) plus the cost of inverter.

Just makes $  Cents 8) to me

Calypte

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2011, 10:57 pm »
@Big Red Machine: Parasound JC-1 is a John Curl design (to fill in your box under "heritage").

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:59 am »
The Dude ships today!

That's a nice preamp Pete....heard it at a topround Rave last year... :thumb:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2011, 08:23 am by lonewolfny42 »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm »
Chris, what is that last photo?

A teaser photo of the preamp in final assembly stage.  The front is much different from past designs.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm »
JWTrace,

The M2000 may be the most expensive amp Clayton Audio makes but the M300's are the best sounding. The M2000's are based on 4 M100's in a single chassis design, all the amps designed after the M100's sound considerably better than the earlier models with even Wilson stating the M300's are hist best work yet.

Gotcha!  Glad I have M-300's.   :wink:  What are the updates for the 2011 M-300's?  Is it just transformer?  What are the fine details?   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2011, 06:15 am »
Pete...
Chris, what is that last photo?

Sorry about that...not the Dude....it's Mike's Quicksilver MS190 amp.(Photo 3) :duh:

gkinberg

« Reply #28 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:40 pm »
BRM,

Just out of curiosity, what abut the Mcintosh sound do you not dig? I'm looking into their amps, much cheeper variety, and would be interested in your opionion.

Thanks, Garth

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:51 pm »
BRM,

Just out of curiosity, what abut the Mcintosh sound do you not dig? I'm looking into their amps, much cheeper variety, and would be interested in your opionion.

Thanks, Garth

Only what I keep reading in the reviews that they can be a little sluggish AS COMPARED to other high end amps.  Love the resale value and the look but I want as snappy an amp as I can get that isn't harsh.  I read probably 6+ reviews on 501's in the last 2 weeks as I was considering them due to a local sale of a pair.  Between the uncooperative seller and the reviews I read (sometimes between the lines) I stayed away.  Audiogon is also helpful for reviews as many big spenders have burned through a lot of amps over there.

I'm down to McCormack DNA750's, Belles MB200's. or perhaps a Plinius, although I am not enamored with the heat of their class A amps and am okay with AB.  (I shouldn't worry as my room is in the basement and is cool all year round except during GTG's when the CO2 levels rise!)

I am sure Mac owners will defend the amps and say rubbish but I have considered thei amps many times before and was always turned off by what I read.

MichiganMike

« Reply #30 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:46 pm »
I am sure Mac owners will defend the amps and say rubbish but I have considered thei amps many times before and was always turned off by what I read.

Here is the expected counterpoint.  I am pleased with the MacIntosh 501 amps in my system.  To my ears these amps provide highly musical and realistic audio reproduction.  I do not find my 501s to be sluggish in any way that detracts from my enjoyment of the music.  YMMV. 

I agree that in comparing high end amps there are sometimes subtle (and to some audiophiles not so subtle) differences in performance that drive preferences and opinions.  While reviews by others provide a useful starting point, as with other components, there is no substitute to listening to the amp and assessing whether or not this floats your boat with the speakers, source, preamp and other equipment you plan to use.  I acknowledge that this is often not easy to arrange.

One advantage of McIntosh (mentioned in an earlier post by BRM) is the relatively high and stable resale value and reliability makes it less painful financially to purchase used MacIntosh equipment and resell it if you decide to move on.  If you read owners posts on one of the McIntosh forums, you will find there are a number of satisfied owners that swear the MC501 or other McIntosh amps will be their last amp after having tried many others.  I am not that confident, but for the present I have stopped considering an amp upgrade. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:46 pm »
It will interesting to compare your Soundscapes to mine someday on different electronics.

gkinberg

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:16 pm »
BRM,

Are you shying away from the Samsons because of the wait time or other reasons? I ask only out of curiosity because they are well out of my comfort zone cost wise.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
A used upgraded DNA-500 might fit the bill for you.  I didn't know that SMc did upgrade work on the 500 until I saw this on Audiogon. 

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1304556524&/Mccormack-DNA-500-smc-audio-ul

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:29 pm »
BRM,

Are you shying away from the Samsons because of the wait time or other reasons? I ask only out of curiosity because they are well out of my comfort zone cost wise.

Wait.  I want to light this rocket.

werd

« Reply #35 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:06 pm »

Hello BRM

Just out of curiosity, what Samson amp are you looking at?. These look more like PA amps than home audio amps.   :scratch:  I would like to hear these amps nonetheless. Could be a great 2 channel home amp, don't know for sure until you hear one.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:11 pm »

Ah huh huh.   

highfilter

« Reply #37 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:17 pm »
Hello BRM

Just out of curiosity, what Samson amp are you looking at?. These look more like PA amps than home audio amps.   :scratch:  I would like to hear these amps nonetheless. Could be a great 2 channel home amp, don't know for sure until you hear one.

I've been quietly stalking, but he is referencing the Tube Research Labs, Samson amp: http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/samson.html

werd

« Reply #38 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:24 pm »
I've been quietly stalking, but he is referencing the Tube Research Labs, Samson amp: http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/samson.html

Thanks !

Now that makes sense....hehe. 300 watt mono's look really interesting. I have seen these before but fell off my radar.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:37 pm »
Now they look like this.  This guy is using some square footer thingy (green).