McCormack DNA-750 mono's or?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
McCormack DNA-750 mono's or?
« on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:04 am »
I noticed that Spearit Sound has the McCormack DNA-750 monoblocks on sale for $5500/pair with free shipping.  That sure sounds like a great deal, but I've never heard the 750 - other McCormacks I've heard have been excellent though.  I was all set to buy a Modwright KWA-150 and then add a second later when funds allow, but this deal might be a better option. 

Has anybody spent any time with a pair of 750's, and could give me feedback?  Anything else I need to consider in that price range?

BobM

Re: McCormack DNA-750 mono's or?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:01 pm »
I guess the first question is "Why do you need all that power?" Are you running a set of MBL's? Why not get a used DNA500 and be very, very happy with that?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:48 pm »
Old or new, the McCormick's have been well respected.  With only so much room on the store shelf (or the buying public's fleeting attention span) they suffer mostly from lack of publicity (being crowded out by the "lastest and greatest").

Yeah, I'm a believer in having plenty of power, but 750 watts per channel is a lot!

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:29 pm »
I would be curious to know if indeed the DNA-750 was actually spec'd and designed by Steve McCormack himself... or is it using the McCormack name as part of its marketing and promotions campaign through Conrad Johnson? Did Steve even have his hands in its design, or is the amp a "latest-greatest," beefy version of Steve's older designs... without his involvement? Just wondering...
Certainly, preowned McCormack gear (even upgraded) can be had on the resale market at a tremendous value.

It's also been my personal experience that Steve McCormack is extremely open and available to questions and concerns about his equipment: www.smcaudio.com.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:32 pm »
Power is your friend, always.

The DNA-750's are fantastic.  Much closer in design to the Conrad Johnson Premier 350, and certainly in terms of sound.
Steve did not have a hand in designing these, they were done by the design dept. at CJ.

A huge leap from what you were considering.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:33 pm »
 :D good point 123, his old gear is very good no question.is he even building new amps....he had a new pre a while back ???? :D [more power,more head room is always nice if your speakers are a hard drive] :D

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:38 pm »
The DNA500 is a nice amp too, but if you can get that kind of a deal on the 750's and it's not out of your budget, I'd definitely go with the monos.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2011, 01:17 am »
It's not the power that is my reason for thinking about purchasing them ... the power is just a bonus.  I'm looking for the best sounding 'big' solid state amp possible in that price range. 

TONEPUB - are you saying the DNA-750 is a huge leap better than the Modwright KWA 150?  How so exactly? 

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:17 pm »
Here is my two cents, although not exactly what you were asking.

I always wanted Odyssey gear. I heard that the Stratos amp, and later the Candela were very very sweet. Then finally, when I could find the money, I bought the gear. After many, many months of frustrating hum problems, all the gear was bought back by Klaus. I did lose out, but I bought the McCormack DNA-125.

WOW. The amp sounded more neutral and powerful than the Stratos. I liked it alot more. A lesson learned. I would buy the bigger McCormack gear without hesitation if I could afford it.

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:39 pm »
Here is my two cents, although not exactly what you were asking.

I always wanted Odyssey gear. I heard that the Stratos amp, and later the Candela were very very sweet. Then finally, when I could find the money, I bought the gear. After many, many months of frustrating hum problems, all the gear was bought back by Klaus. I did lose out, but I bought the McCormack DNA-125.

WOW. The amp sounded more neutral and powerful than the Stratos. I liked it alot more. A lesson learned. I would buy the bigger McCormack gear without hesitation if I could afford it.
I too first bought Odyssey(ht-3,2 used 1yr old monos and he built 2 new blueboard monos) and out of 5 amps only one worked flawlessly and I sold all and lost $$$.
Later tried the Bryston,Simaudio,Classe,Krell,etc to see my likings.
My lesson was that anytime I by new(even a deal from dealer) and sell later"""""""I LOOOOOSE $$$$$"""""".
So I made a game plan to try different products for 5yrs and pick the ones I like best.
So choose wisely my young JEDI!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2011, 06:38 pm »
If the DNA - 750 are like the CJ premier 350 buy them.  If they are step up from the DNA-500 buy them.  I really like the DNA-500 a friend has it in his system and it is effortless and musical.  Plenty of power.  The CJ 350 is the other favorite amp of mine.  $5500 for the 750's is a fair deal.

mitch2

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:17 pm »
Much closer in design to the Conrad Johnson Premier 350, and certainly in terms of sound.
Tonepub, can you provide any reference for this statement? The CJ/McCormack website is woefully uninformative and doesn't even show a picture of the back of the amps much less the insides.  The DNA 500 is a fully differential amp while the CJ P350 is single-ended - the designs are not even close.  I do note heat sinks on both sides of the DNA 750's, which might indicate a design closer to a pair of DNA 225 monos???  From the SMc Audio website,
the monoblock DNA-125 will deliver 400 Watts
into an 8-ohm load, and the DNA-225 will deliver 800 Watts
This 800wpc sounds suspicously close to the rated power of the DNA 750.

I am not questioning your statement about the 750 being "closer in design to the CJ P350," but I would like to know where I can verify that and/or find some additional information, and most preferrably a picture of the inside and back of the DNA 750 amps.  Even if the 750's are a pair of DNA225 monos, that wouldn't be a bad thing.