Reflections and attenuators

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
Re: Reflections and attenuators
« Reply #100 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:14 pm »
Somewhere, and I can not recall where, I have a detailed explanation, of why that is so. Can't remember where it is! I'll keep looking.

Pat

Joseph K

« Reply #101 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:32 pm »
Mixers have a bad return loss; the oscillators - output buffers included- are sensible to injection locking, if there is coming back significant reflected energy to the output.
Attenuator pads are inserted to decrease the mixer's return loss, decrease the reflected energy presented to the oscillators.
The result is less phase noise.

Ciao, George

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #102 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:40 pm »
True. One reason we used circulators, and isolators, in the microwave world. I miss not being able to use them, in the 10 MHz world.

Of course, one could use an active one, like the one Wenzel is known for. Then, you have its noise contribution, to deal with.

There is another part to that. It has to do with the calibration process. One of the oscillators has to drive the mixer into saturation. The other one is backed off, x dB, and that is the detail that eludes me. Wish I could remember the details! (Getting old is the pits.)

Pat

Joseph K

« Reply #103 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:53 pm »
Might be this? That is, helping in the calibration?

This procedure (the calibration) works as long as the mixer's conversion gain is constant; i.e., its RF port isn't driven into saturation during the real measurement.

Above quote is from here:
http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2008-January/029350.html

Oops, I shouldn't do this - linking.. now there is the danger that somebody might just subscribe also there and teach them some real science..

Joseph K

« Reply #104 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:22 pm »
Last, really.. also I don't know if it is permissible - I would quote here, in it's original form, from the book: "Microwave antenna theory and design Di Samuel Silver"

Please, moderate it freely if does not fit.

Ciao, George

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #105 on: 23 Feb 2011, 08:03 pm »
I just called Blue Jeans Cable inquiring about digital cables LC-1 vs. Belden 1694A. I might try out a long cheap cable. He said that you could use a coat hanger if the distance was short enough. :lol: Digits are digits...you know. Reflections didn't mean anything to him and he seemed perturbed that I'd dare to question this. :roll:

-Roy

wakibaki

« Reply #106 on: 23 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm »
Yes, it added to the noise figure.

How do you reconcile that with your assertion that attenuators attenuate noise?

...asinine assumptions...

...nonsense...

I am trying to be civil, but your insults can not stand.

Try harder. Anyone confident of their position would not feel insulted. You have the opportunity to convince me that I am wrong.

w

wakibaki

« Reply #107 on: 23 Feb 2011, 09:01 pm »
I would quote here, in it's original form, from the book: "Microwave antenna theory and design Di Samuel Silver"

Congratulations JosephK, you have produced a source to substantiate something with which I agree entirely.

This however does not prove the usefulness of attenuators in SPDIF interfaces.

w

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #108 on: 25 Feb 2011, 08:51 pm »
Well I just drank the KoolAide and ordered an inexpensive 20' BNC/BNC digital cable and BNC/RCA adaptor. :D

-Roy

wakibaki

« Reply #109 on: 25 Feb 2011, 10:36 pm »
That'll be the Acid Test then.

I don't recommend long cables like that. The shortest interval between edges for 44k1 is 1/(44100*128) or 177nS. If you're talking Belden 1694A then 10nS equates to a round trip of 2.46m so a round trip time of 177nS gives a cable length of 17.7 * 1.23 = 21.77 metres would cause exact coincidence of the incident edges and the reflected edges. So with this cable, at 44k1 you're OK. If you're running 48k, however, the distance between edges is ~163nS. 16.3 * 1.23 = 20 metres almost exactly. So if there are any reflections in there, 20 metres is the absolutely worst length at 48k and 10 metres (and 20 metres) are the worst for 96k and 192k. And of course 5 metres at 192k.

OTOH few cables have a velocity factor less than 0.66 (a speed of 200,000,000 m/S). That is to say a 1 metre cable has a round trip time of 10nS. The distance between edges for 192k is ~40nS so all sample rates will be accommodated by most cables at a length of 3 metres or less, i.e the reflected edge will return 30nS or less behind the incident.

If there are any reflections that is.

w

WGH

« Reply #110 on: 25 Feb 2011, 10:38 pm »
My test with an RF attenuator I had laying around was successful so I decided to try the real thing. These guys arrived today and I'm waiting for the RCA adapters to show up.

Wayne

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #111 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:07 am »
That'll be the Acid Test then.

I don't recommend long cables like that. The shortest interval between edges for 44k1 is 1/(44100*128) or 177nS. If you're talking Belden 1694A then 10nS equates to a round trip of 2.46m so a round trip time of 177nS gives a cable length of 17.7 * 1.23 = 21.77 metres would cause exact coincidence of the incident edges and the reflected edges. So with this cable, at 44k1 you're OK. If you're running 48k, however, the distance between edges is ~163nS. 16.3 * 1.23 = 20 metres almost exactly. So if there are any reflections in there, 20 metres is the absolutely worst length at 48k and 10 metres (and 20 metres) are the worst for 96k and 192k. And of course 5 metres at 192k.

OTOH few cables have a velocity factor less than 0.66 (a speed of 200,000,000 m/S). That is to say a 1 metre cable has a round trip time of 10nS. The distance between edges for 192k is ~40nS so all sample rates will be accommodated by most cables at a length of 3 metres or less, i.e the reflected edge will return 30nS or less behind the incident.

If there are any reflections that is.

w

The cable ordered was 20 feet not 20 meters. :green:

wakibaki

« Reply #112 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:09 am »
My mistake then. Pity there aren't a few more admissions when people make mistakes in this thread They just go quiet.  :green:

w

wakibaki

« Reply #113 on: 28 Feb 2011, 07:06 am »
So, over in another place, JosephK has been corresponding with me:-

Wakibaki,

Let's try to clear up your point here.

First - the power spectral density, vn for 75ohm is 1.1147nV/sqrtHz.
(Using your formula)
Vrms for 175MHz bandwith is vn*sqrtB, 14.75 uV.

Now, what is the jitter introduced by this noise floor in a square signal typical for our transmitter?
The Hiface is doing 2.5Vpp in less than 2nsec. That is > 1.25V/nsec slew rate, but let's stay with 1.25. That is 1250mV/nsec.

In figure 7, cited by You the introduced jitter in function of the slew rate is given.
It shows 500psec jitter at 100mV/nsec slew rate. It is inversely proportional with slew rate, so for 1250mV/nsec it is 500psec*100/1250 = 40psec.

This the introduced jitter when 50 mVrms noise is present.
From Figure 6 cited by You we know that jitter is directly proportional with the noise Vrms value.
We have 40psec jitter introduced by 50 mVrms noise, then at 14.75 uVrms (calculated for 75ohm) noise level we have 40psec * 14.75/50000 = 0.0118 psec, 12femtosec jitter.
If we attenuate by 6db, then we half the slew rate, so the jitter introduced this way will raise to 24femtosec?

Can we agree in this? when attenuating 6db, we introduce +12 femtosec jitter?
Also, with 10dB, we are introducing +24 femtosec extra jitter?
And all this is Gaussian distributed noise.

So it seems I was right about attenuation increasing jitter. It's certainly small, but it's not an 'asinine assumption'. A pity we couldn't have got this far without the unpleasantries.

Maybe I was right about some other things?

Let's just look at the cable lengths again.

In art's pics the reflection from the DAC lasts about 50nS. I'll take that as a worst case.

Since the shortest time between edges @ 44k1 is 177nS, taking 50nS away leaves 127nS for the round trip. In a comparatively slow cable (0.66) this equates to 12.7 metres, more than the SPDIF specification. If you are running 44k1 in a cable of 12 metres or less, an attenuator can make no difference with the DAC shown.

For 48k the spacing is 162nS, leaving a cable length of 11 metres below which an attenuator can make no difference.

For 96k the spacing is 81nS, leaving a cable length of 3 metres (ten feet, should be enough for most people) below which an attenuator can make no difference.

Of course you can get faster cables which will give you a bit more length.

For 192k, an attenuator could conceivably make a difference, but this is not demonstrated and 192k is not part of the SPDIF spec.

Wouldn't you have preferred to have been told this before you bought the attenuators?

Oh, here's another one...

We went from a 5 m cable, one that is so long, almost no one wants to use it, to one that is 1 m, which is what everyone wants to use.

And.............

This is with a very fast source. It has a rise time, around 0.8 pSec. The problem is...........

A lot of you guys have transports/sources that are closer to 3-4 pSec. And what is the significance of that?

That first reflection...............guess what.............guess where it ends up.............yeah, somewhere in the transition portion of the waveform.

He means nanoseconds, but it doesn't. The roundtrip time for 1 metre of 0.88 velocity factor (fast) cable is 7.7 nS, so a transition lasting 4nS has been over for 3.7 nS when the reflection arrives.

w

jneutron

« Reply #114 on: 28 Feb 2011, 03:27 pm »
Last, really.. also I don't know if it is permissible - I would quote here, in it's original form, from the book: "Microwave antenna theory and design Di Samuel Silver"

Please, moderate it freely if does not fit.

Ciao, George

Your use of another's material in the fashion you have used is fully justified, allowed, and refreshingly scholarly.

The quotation of another's published work is allowable under the fair use clause when it is attributed and used for educational purposes.... as long as it does not infringe on the author's ability to derive income.  to wit, the useage does not harm the owner of the IP.

Well done.

Cheers, John

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #115 on: 28 Feb 2011, 03:54 pm »
Waki,
I'm sorry but you can't deny that I, George, Pat, & hundreds of others have already tried the attenuators & they change/improve the sound. Not only in the case of the Hiface, which is the extreme example of this, but also in many other systems.

I'm afraid you are ignoring reality (even though you will deny this & prefer to argue that all these people are fooling themselves). Have you ever tried them? If you had ever listened to them & reported that you found no difference & then set out to explain why there was no difference, I would credit you with a semblance of an inquiring mind but just constantly arguing from a theoretical position is tiresome & eventually meaningless when the answer to your objections is to go & try them 15 quid in your currency? Heck, I'll even buy it off you when you are finished with it. 

jneutron

« Reply #116 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:32 pm »
In art's pics the reflection from the DAC lasts about 50nS. I'll take that as a worst case.

Which scope photo are you discussing?  As I recall, when he opened the case, he found ferrite beads in front of a transformer.  There are significant differences between an active termination such as a DAC summing point, and a lossy inductive one...  It is important to retain the distinction in discussion.

It is useful for all to remember (or learn)...An active termination like a dac summing node may not behave very well if it cannot keep up with the node driven slew rate.  The internal circuitry responsible for zeroing the node can easily saturate if it is called upon to react faster than design.  This was a common circuit problem back in the 70's.  Many a test equipment input had to be protected with a diode bridge and pull resistors (or even fast current sources) to prevent overvoltages at inputs which caused long recovery delays.  I still have bad dreams over those 1N4148 monolithic bridge chips with silicon nitride tub isolation.. :o

Oh, here's another one...

He means nanoseconds....

I am confused with this comment.  This was cleared up Feb 1, I asked and Pat explained that it was a typo.

wakibaki

« Reply #117 on: 28 Feb 2011, 06:19 pm »
Which scope photo are you discussing?  As I recall, when he opened the case, he found ferrite beads in front of a transformer.  There are significant differences between an active termination such as a DAC summing point, and a lossy inductive one...  It is important to retain the distinction in discussion.

It is useful for all to remember (or learn)...An active termination like a dac summing node may not behave very well if it cannot keep up with the node driven slew rate.  The internal circuitry responsible for zeroing the node can easily saturate if it is called upon to react faster than design.  This was a common circuit problem back in the 70's.  Many a test equipment input had to be protected with a diode bridge and pull resistors (or even fast current sources) to prevent overvoltages at inputs which caused long recovery delays.  I still have bad dreams over those 1N4148 monolithic bridge chips with silicon nitride tub isolation.. :o

Er, this one.

It's important to actually focus on the evidence being presented. What he found when he opened the case is irrelevant. I think you'll agree that the duration is ~50nS (50nS/div, a pulse of ~350nS), you might stretch it to 75 nS but this still does not invalidate my points. Just disagree with the numbers if you can, otherwise respond to my observations about the pulse lengths, the transit times and the cable lengths.

I am confused with this comment.  This was cleared up Feb 1, I asked and Pat explained that it was  typo.

Again, focus on the point. I acknowledge that he has made a typo, but... The cable is 1 metre. The roundtrip time for a 1 metre cable of 0.88 velocity factor is ~7.7nS. The rise time in question is stated to be 3-4pS, but this is absurd, he means nS. The reflection therefore cannot arrive before the transition is complete.

Quote: 'A lot of you guys have transports/sources that are closer to 3-4 pSec. And what is the significance of that?

That first reflection...............guess what.............guess where it ends up.............yeah, somewhere in the transition portion of the waveform.'

Wrong. This might happen if the rise time was 8nS or greater.

jkeny, you suggested I take up these matters here. Your 'RF experts' are confounded, else where are their replies?

w

Oh, I notice nobody has bothered to measure the transmit termination (of the Hiface) and looking at the scope traces the transmit termination of the device being used is good. This makes nonsense of the idea of significant reflections making a 2-way trip, and the failure to measure the Hiface just underlines the carelessness with which this whole issue of attenuators has been treated. Somebody thought they'd got a good idea, and never really bothered to check it out before blurting it all over the internet.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #118 on: 28 Feb 2011, 06:39 pm »
Waki,
I'm sure the technical position will be teased out some more so it's a bit premature to be jubilant. I hope you stick with this to the end!

Again, are you trying to investigate & understand this or are you trying to display your learning? If you are trying to investigate/understand then invest £15 & listen to one.

jneutron

« Reply #119 on: 28 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
It's important to actually focus on the evidence being presented.
On this we agree.  And the scope photo you refer to, you erroneously call it DAC based reflection, which it is not.  I asked you to clarify which picture you were referring to, as I may have missed it somewhere along the line..  Please be more careful in later discussions.
What he found when he opened the case is irrelevant.
No, it is not.  As I just finished posting, there can be significant differences between passive based reflections and active ones.  If some portion of the internal circuitry of the receiver is saturated as a result of excessive slew, then what happens after the slew is not necessarily predictable.  If it is passive, it is entirely predictable.  Again, this is why I asked you which picture you were referencing.

I think you'll agree that the duration is ~50nS (50nS/div, a pulse of ~350nS), you might stretch it to 75 nS but this still does not invalidate my points.
I have not stated your points as either valid, or invalid.  You erred in describing the initial setup, so I asked.

Again, focus on the point. I acknowledge that he has made a typo, but... The cable is 1 metre. The roundtrip time for a 1 metre cable of 0.88 velocity factor is ~7.7nS. The rise time in question is stated to be 3-4pS, but this is absurd, he means nS.
For this response, you must follow your own advice..Please focus.

How many more times will you be badgering him for the nSec/pSec typo that I pointed out and he admitted to on Feb 1?  You acknowledge his typo, then 33 words later call the 3-4 pSec "absurd"..  Your statements appear to be more of an attack than discussion.  To wit.. telling me to "focus" because I pointed out your error is not helping you.

Please refrain from such behaviour, it certainly does nothing to support any arguments you present.  I suspect that type of behaviour is why you are getting such a reception here.

Cheers, John