How many Tube watts do I need?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: How many Tube watts do I need?
« Reply #120 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:33 am »
I saw a couple on Craigslist, only like two listed using CraigLook and they wanted $500, I'll look again tomorrow. As for my budget its as low as I can go, in fact I did some serious listening today to Maverick A1 Hybrid Amp I have here thats touring around and even though that unit isn't a full fledged Tube amp like I'm thinking about it made me think.....I really like my Virtue TWO.2, Piano M1 CD player and Grant Tube DAC playing through my current JBL's. I'm gonna step back, see what new stuff comes out at CES maybe save for an ipad version 2..I'm really enjoying my current gear so why do I want to screw around with it....."there's the rub". :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #121 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:28 am »
...have you priced some of the better 300B and 2A3 tubes lately?

Yep, however more money doesn't always equate with better performance.  My 300b Black Treasures were just over $500 for the pair.  They give any NOS 300b tube, a run for the money.  Robin Wyatt says the BT 300b is hands down the best tube he has ever heard period - and he doesn't even like the 300b! 

putz

« Reply #122 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:24 pm »
There's a guy in Bethlehem PA selling a Dynaco ST70. At least he was last week. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the details. I was considering it, but went with a new Jolida 502BRC which I'm burning in right now. Plenty powerful for my Salk Songtowers. I'm considering Penta Labs KT88SC's as upgrade to the stock KT88's amp came with.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #123 on: 1 Jan 2011, 07:36 pm »
Thanks putz!!! I'm trying to get a Vortexbox first...postponing tubes until Rent Rebate Check time...Thanks anyway!!!!
 Ed

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #124 on: 16 Jan 2011, 04:20 pm »
I know how many sounds excellent...6 watts...Yep...my room, my speakers..6 watts works great..I hooked up this little 6W X 2 Tube Amp and I'm hooked. I'm using a nice power cord, EVS ground enhancers and just enjoying the heck out of this sound. So the answer to my question posed awhile back is 6