The new winner is: V1 (The winner is: V2)

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
Re: The winner : V-2 !
« Reply #80 on: 9 Nov 2010, 06:21 am »
What do you mean by : Happy ending ?
Guy 13

Hi guy, this usually happens at massage parlours after the massage, for extra $$  :lol:

Thx for all the fun posts! WIll be reading this closely.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #81 on: 9 Nov 2010, 07:53 am »
Ahhh, yep.  :green:  And from Guy's post, I assumed he had a ~happy ending~ to his wife's massage.  8)

Guy I've had a big 12' satellite dish since 1985 when you could pick up all the cable channels for free (it's still operational even tho I now also have DirecTv HD "little dish"). Back then us "big dish" owners were a pretty tight knit community, sharing wildfeeds and maintenance tips on the upkeep of those C/KU band satellite systems. So my name is from that period, fraternity of satellite owners or satfrat. It sounded better to me than fratsat.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

kp93300

« Reply #82 on: 9 Nov 2010, 07:53 am »
Hi Guy 13,
I suggest you should change the heading of this thread to
The winner : GUY13 !
It seems that you are having a great time despite your back sprain ----with or without V1 or V2 !

cheers
kp93300

Guy 13

« Reply #83 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:01 am »
Hi guy, this usually happens at massage parlours after the massage, for extra $$  :lol:

Thx for all the fun posts! WIll be reading this closely.
Hi Chlorofille.
Why would I go to the massage parlour, when I can get free massages with any free of charge extras I want from my beautiful and sweet wife !
Lucky me !
I just finished a two hours listening session of my improved or should I say: with my modified V1 to GR Research specs.
The results to follow soon.
Guy1 3

Guy 13

« Reply #84 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:05 am »
Ahhh, yep.  :green:  And from Guy's post, I assumed he had a ~happy ending~ to his wife's massage.  8)

Guy I've had a big 12' satellite dish since 1985 when you could pick up all the cable channels for free (it's still operational even tho I now also have DirecTv HD "little dish"). Back then us "big dish" owners were a pretty tight knit community, sharing wildfeeds and maintenance tips on the upkeep of those C/KU band satellite systems. So my name is from that period, fraternity of satellite owners or satfrat. It sounded better to me than fratsat.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
Hi Satfrat.
Now that I know the meaning of your bizarre name, it now makes sense to me.
If it was me, I would have choosen the name Mr. Satellite, instead of Satfrat ! Easier to remember. Yes, no, maybe ?
Now, Guy 13
that's an easy name to remember !

JohnR

« Reply #85 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:06 am »
OK  :shake: Why "13"?

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #86 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:08 am »
He was born on Friday 13th  :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #87 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:15 am »
Hi Guy 13,
I suggest you should change the heading of this thread to
The winner : GUY13 !
It seems that you are having a great time despite your back sprain ----with or without V1 or V2 !

cheers
kp93300
Hi KP93300.
That's another interesting and at the same time bizarre name.
In your name the 93300 is that the number of posts on Audio Circle ?
I am no winner, I am a participant and I am not the first one that will be crossing the finish line...
The back pain of the past few days was just some king of a break. (Pause)  Well, I have to see it that way, otherwise, I would still be complaining and no work would be done...
Yes, I am having a super great time and the person responsible for that is Danny and his products. Thanks to Danny, you are making my life in Vietnam less boring with all your interesting stuff.
Now, if all of you will stop posting on MY topic (ha, ha...) I will start writting the results of my V1 listening session and even more (V2) for the same price.
Hold on, it's coming.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #88 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:17 am »
He was born on Friday 13th  :lol:
Hi all.
Yes, that's correct, I was born on a Friday 13th at 5.30am in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I am the first of 11 children, from the same two parents. Ha, ha...
Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm »
I am the first of 11 children, from the same two parents.
Guy 13

Ouch for mom!!!

JohnR

« Reply #90 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:25 pm »
10 siblings... that's amazing!

Guy 13

« Reply #91 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:36 pm »
Ouch for mom!!!

Hi jtwrace.
(Another strange name !)
Yes, ouch mom, but we were not the largest family in the neibourhood, not far from our home, there was that woman that had with the same husband twenty, yes 20 chidrens. Is that something ?
Guy 13.

Guy 13

« Reply #92 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:39 pm »
10 siblings... that's amazing!
Hi John.
Those were the good old days or the baby boomers days.
Now in Canada you have many immigrants, if the government did not bring those immigrants, within a century Canada would be filled with only deer, beavers and pinguin !
Guy 13

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:48 pm »

Hi jtwrace.
(Another strange name !)

:nono:  My initials and the business that I'm in. 

Guy 13

« Reply #94 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:05 pm »

Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
At last, at long, long last I’ve got rid of my back pain and this afternoon, I had enough strength to connect all the cables (Power+spk.) for the V1 (And for the same price, also for the V2) and set them in place. I did some improvised room treatment with what was available in my house.
See below the picture.

The listening session lasted two hours and I sampled approximately ten CDs of jazz, drum, vocal, string, etc…
When I’ve pushed the play button on the CD player, no bass was coming out of the V1 ? Ho no! A wiring problem. Draken double drak (The equivalent of Holy cow!) I took my screw driver and remove the plate amplifier and started to follow each wire one by one. Hooooo… I see… The servo wires and the driver’s coil wires are reversed, that’s can’t be good! Then the bottom driver’s coil wires reverse. Two mistakes, what was I thinking when I did the wiring? Maybe thinking about that nice massage my wife gave me. It was so good; I think I will fake a back pain to get another of those super duper massage that only my wife can give me.
If the right V1 wiring is screwed up, how about the left one? I took off the plate amplifier of that one too and checked every single wire very carefully and… Everything was right, no mistake on that one.
I closed everything and got back in a hurry to my chair with my CD player’s remote control and push PLAY again.
Now, what did I hear? Well at first the sound was good, but not what I was expecting, but after switching from the V1 and the V2
I found out the following:
V1 bass: Tight, natural with details.
V1 medium & highs: Very natural, lot’s of details, presence, ambiance and very dynamic.
V2 bass: Sounds deeper and lower than the V1 but with less details than the V1. Sound is more room filling.
V2 med. & highs: Softer, look like its veiled missing the crispness and details. Sound like it comes from back stage.
Now for both V1 & V2 the room acoustic had nothing to desire, it needs some treatment, some re-doing, some walls… Well, for now I have to live with that.
I love bass, all my life I’ve loved bass, I am bias when it comes to bass. That’s why I previously preferred the V2 for the sound of its bass.
Now after some serious listening of the V1 and the V2 which one do I prefer?
I want to say it depends on the type of music played, each one as its own strength, but after many hours of serious listening, I now say that the V1 is the WINNER ! Let’s give a good hand of applause to Danny and his V1.
Now, that does not mean in no way that the V2 is not good, it’s proudly sitting in the second place just behind the V1.
Conclusion:
The V1 is very dynamic even with my Niteshade Audio amplifier with only 10wpc (SE 6L6)
The bass is natural with details toward the medium frequencies.
The voices are very natural and have good presence and the highs are not aggressive as written in a previous thread.
With it’s sensivity of 97db any flea amplifier can drive the V1 with good dynamics at good level in medium size room.
Now the down side, did you think that the V1 was a perfect speaker!
It’s heavy, the same size and weight as a dinosaur!
Expensive? A little, if you compare the price of the V1 to the price of the V2, but you do get more, how much more? Well that depends on you.
Now, did the modifications I did to bring back the V1 to its original Danny’s design made some sound improvements?
I am not sure? Maybe it did, but very difficult to quantify.
I did three modifications.
Double the thickness of the side walls.
Lower the height of the coaxial PAudio driver.
Move downstairs the Rythmik plate amplifier.
Ho yes, the very, very faith hum in one of the PAudio driver I had is now gone, the bass and the Niteshade Audio SE-15 amplifier are dead quiet, you put your ear against the paper cone and you hear nothing or should I say: You hear the same sound as in a cemetery, over there, it’s dead quiet. Ha, ha…
Now for the runner up, the second place, the V2 what can I do to improve the mediums and the highs. Can Danny or someone else come up with some suggestions? I still like very much my V2, depending on the type of music you feed them. I was wondering if removing the 30 Ohms resistor in parallel with the tweeter would be something that would give me more highs?
You see, I have learned my lessons, now I ask the members their opinions, before do it MY WAY !
If you have the money, go for the V1, if you are on a budget, get the V2 have some friends listen to it, they will like it and buy it from you and with the profit, you will upgrade to a V1.
Yes, I would recommend without any hesitation the V1, however, in the past, I knew that the acoustic of the room was important, but now I realize even more that the room acoustic is VERY important. I would say as a rule of thumb that up to 50% of the surfaces should be covered with absorbing material, could be carpet, sofa, foam panel, etc… If you don’t agree, please come up front and state clearly your idea and opinion. This is a free country, well; I am talking about USA, not Vietnam. (Ha, ha…) I think this is a point where many new audiophiles are lacking knowledge.
If you have intention of buying a pair of V1 and find them too expensive, think that you can save money buy buying an inexpensive Niteshade Audio SE-15 (15wpc) amplifier for much less than 1,000 USD, it will have enough power to drive the 97db sensitive V1 speakers to concert level in small and medium size room.
Well that’s all folks !
What will be my next project?
Keep reading me and you will know.
Guy 13
The happy owner of GR Research V1 (Now according to GR Research specs) and V2 Black (Modified and will stay modified) and V2 (Modified and will stay modified) Ferrari red.
Can't post pictures in this thread, I will post them in another thread.

Guy 13

« Reply #95 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:06 pm »
:nono:  My initials and the business that I'm in.
Hi jtw
Thanks.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #96 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:20 pm »
Hi all. It's me again.
Room treatment with what was available today in my house...

The set up of the V1 and the V2.

Today was lots of fun and that's what it's all about !
Thanks for reading me.
Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #97 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:57 pm »
Sounds like you are having fun on all fronts.  :icon_lol:

I am just perplexed by one thing:

V2 bass: Sounds deeper and lower than the V1 but with less details than the V1. Sound is more room filling.

Those servo subs play a lot lower and much deeper. The servo subs have a LOT more X-max and more power on them. The servo subs can play a good 15db to 20db louder at 20Hz than the V-2 woofers.

Can you post a pic of the settings on your servo amps?

Now, you also had some questions:

the V2 what can I do to improve the mediums and the highs. Can Danny or someone else come up with some suggestions? I still like very much my V2, depending on the type of music you feed them. I was wondering if removing the 30 Ohms resistor in parallel with the tweeter would be something that would give me more highs?

In the mid-range the two designs are fairly close but one (the V-2) has a sealed back tweeter verses the V-1 having an open backed tweeter. Your room is fairly lively so the V-1 will be giving you a little more of an airy sound with rear wall reflections across the board and not just from the mids down. And because the crossover points on these are fairly low, this does effect the airiness of the upper mids.

You can take one leg of the 30 resistor off of the back of the V-2's tweeter, but it will make it a little hot at the top end. There is also very small inductor in line with the tweeter to remove a rising response in the top octave only. You can try hooking a jumper wire across it to by-pass it and see what that does for it.

No offense but you are reaching the age where your high frequency hearing may start to drop off a little (normal), and because of this you may prefer a little more energy in the top octave to balance things back out.

Another good thing about the V-2's is that you have several ways to make adjustments.

Also, the wider front baffle of the V-2 may be taking away a slight amount of transparency in the mids. Try taping some small pieces of foam to each side of the front baffle (just as a test) and see what the results are.

And keep on having fun!

Guy 13

« Reply #98 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:16 pm »
Sounds like you are having fun on all fronts.  :icon_lol:

I am just perplexed by one thing:

Those servo subs play a lot lower and much deeper. The servo subs have a LOT more X-max and more power on them. The servo subs can play a good 15db to 20db louder at 20Hz than the V-2 woofers.

Can you post a pic of the settings on your servo amps?

Now, you also had some questions:

In the mid-range the two designs are fairly close but one (the V-2) has a sealed back tweeter verses the V-1 having an open backed tweeter. Your room is fairly lively so the V-1 will be giving you a little more of an airy sound with rear wall reflections across the board and not just from the mids down. And because the crossover points on these are fairly low, this does effect the airiness of the upper mids.

You can take one leg of the 30 resistor off of the back of the V-2's tweeter, but it will make it a little hot at the top end. There is also very small inductor in line with the tweeter to remove a rising response in the top octave only. You can try hooking a jumper wire across it to by-pass it and see what that does for it.

No offense but you are reaching the age where your high frequency hearing may start to drop off a little (normal), and because of this you may prefer a little more energy in the top octave to balance things back out.

Another good thing about the V-2's is that you have several ways to make adjustments.

Also, the wider front baffle of the V-2 may be taking away a slight amount of transparency in the mids. Try taping some small pieces of foam to each side of the front baffle (just as a test) and see what the results are.

And keep on having fun!
Hi Danny.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Now I have something to do tomorrow that is more interesting and fun than the usual boring stuff that I have to do every day for my company.
Thanks again.
Guy 13

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #99 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:22 pm »
every day for my company.
Thanks again.
Guy 13

What kind of company?