The new winner is: V1 (The winner is: V2)

Danny Richie

Re: The new winner is: V1 (The winner is: V2)
« Reply #140 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:07 pm »
It would be a lot easier to recommend them if GIK Acoustics stepped up to the plate and become a site sponsor.

Wow! I am not sure how to take that.

Guy,

We went to the show with Super-V's and brought everything in the way of room treatment. All open baffle speakers are different in some ways but can still require some treatment.

We used 12" thick foam wedges behind the curtains in the corners to tame any bass boom and used several diffusion panels. And when you have speakers like these that will play down to below 20Hz, you need thick foam to soak up the standing waves in the corners. Interestingly the tall diffusers just to the outside of each speaker made a pretty significant difference.

Bryan,

Thanks for dropping in.

Guy 13

« Reply #141 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:11 am »
Wow! I am not sure how to take that.
Guy,
We went to the show with Super-V's and brought everything in the way of room treatment. All open baffle speakers are different in some ways but can still require some treatment.
We used 12" thick foam wedges behind the curtains in the corners to tame any bass boom and used several diffusion panels. And when you have speakers like these that will play down to below 20Hz, you need thick foam to soak up the standing waves in the corners. Interestingly the tall diffusers just to the outside of each speaker made a pretty significant difference.

Bryan,
Thanks for dropping in.
Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the information, would you have some more pictures (Other angles or close up?) of the foam wedges and the diffusuion panels.
Lets make something clear here, (Sure don't want to be rude, remember, I am a nice guy!) I have nothing against companies making diffusers and apsorbers, they are in business to make money and certainly not to relief the suffering humanity, but for me to get those items sent to Vietnam is way too costly for me, therefore, I have to make my own, that's why I am looking everywhere and especially on Audio Circle to find as much as possible the information to cut down on my experimentation and by doing so, to save money.
I know that if I improve the acoustic of my listening room, I will improve the sound of my V1 and V2.
I hope one or several Audio Circle members will share with me and other members as well, their experiences and knowledge and I am not only taking about vague information and as usual, pictures will be of great help when it comes to explaining something.
As I understand it, the corners must not be at 90 degrees angle, but rather approximately two 45 degrees angle. What about some apsorbing material in the corners? Now, where the reflective panels should be? Behind and/or between the speakers?  I have enough foam, thick tissus and other stuff to put them at different places until I get a good result, but to start on the right foot, I need help. Anyone that can help me, will get a free audition in my new listening room, which should be ready middle of 2011.The only catch, is that you have to pay your airplane ticket to Vietnam.
Have a nice weekend.
Guy 13   

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #142 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:08 am »
Guy, you might want to scope out The Acoustic Circle for ideas that you might be able to incorporate into your own room. There are a number of DIY threads there from other members that include helpful pictures, you only need search them out.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Guy 13

« Reply #143 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:38 am »
Guy, you might want to scope out The Acoustic Circle for ideas that you might be able to incorporate into your own room. There are a number of DIY threads there from other members that include helpful pictures, you only need search them out.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Thanks Robin.
Guy 13
(Are you sure you are not the assistant of Batman?)

Guy 13

« Reply #144 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:37 am »
Hi Robin and all Audio Circle members.
This link/site is exactly what I was looking for, what do you think?
www.basstraps.net/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf
Now, I will look for information on how to build diffuser reflective panels.
Guy 13
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 02:05 am by Guy 13 »

Guy 13

« Reply #145 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:22 pm »
Hi all.
Got that picture from an advertising in a Vienamese audio magazine, look nice at first sight !
To me, all the sound apsorbing devices in that room look way too much simitrical, as if they did not do any analisis of the room acoustic and were only concern about the look of the room.
What do you think?
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #146 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:30 pm »
The biggest obstacle to overcome in that picture is that the floor has no carpeting on it.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #147 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:17 pm »
The biggest obstacle to overcome in that picture is that the floor has no carpeting on it.

I think I'd like someplace to sit, too  :?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #148 on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm »

You mean no green carpeting?  :green:

Guy 13

« Reply #149 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:55 am »
You've done it !
Yes, all of you Audio Circle members have done it.
I have just past with my topic the 6000 views mark and I would like to thank you all for your support, comments, criticisms and everything, but the kitchen sink !
By the way, I never wanted to beat any view reccords, but never the less, I am happy it happens.
If my threads are fun and informative for all of you, it is also fun and informative for me as well.
Thanks again and please continue reading me, because I will keep posting with all kind of crazy stuff.
More to come.
Don't forget to also read my other topic with the jigsaw !
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #150 on: 27 Nov 2010, 02:48 pm »
That's a lot of views.

Guy 13

« Reply #151 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
That's a lot of views.
Yes, it's a lot of views for only one topic and for only one site and that's site is yours :GR Research site.
I am glad to see that you appreciate me bringing so many visitors to your site.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #152 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:10 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Today here in Vietnam it's Sunday and what do I do every Sunday?
Well, I do some tests and listen to some music with my Rega Apollo CDP, Niteshade Audio SE-15 (10wpc) amplifier and my V1 speakers.
This Sunday was the day for evaluation of interconnects.
I tried three different type of interconnects.
A) Signal Audio Silver
B) Signal Audio OFC
C) Extra super cheap all plastic Made in Nowhere.
In my opinion, the results according to me 62 years old ears, which are connected to my 30 years old brain, the difference was not great between the Signal Audio OFC and silver, however, the difference between the super extra cheap interconnects was significant. Because this is an excellent set up, the sound was not too bad with the super cheap interconnects.
However, because of the big difference in price between the Signal Audio OFC and silver and the little difference in sound between the two, I would stick with the OFC. Little less qualtity, yes, but also a lot less $ $ $.
By the way, all the interconnects were 24" long.
I will do more tests when I make or buy a swtiching box for interconnects, so I can hear the difference by switching rapidly between the interconnects.
There is plenty of room on Audio Circle for you guys to post your opinion, don't be shy...
Guy 13.

Guy 13

« Reply #153 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:17 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I already wrote what will follow in a previous thread, however, I want to write it again.
With the same set up mentioned above, I have noticed that good recorded CDs makes a huge diffeence on the quality of sound, especially with a good set up like mine. I know that you know that, but just want to mention it again.
In addition, room acoustic is as important as the system itself. I will only be able to appreciate the potential of my audio set up, when I will have a listening room with good acoustic treatment. Which hopefully will happen sometime middle of next year.
I know, you did not learn much from this thread, you knew all the above already, but just want to remind you.
Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #154 on: 28 Nov 2010, 10:24 am »
Don't get too interested in views or responses - there are lots of ways of viewing statistics and what they mean.

Guy 13

« Reply #155 on: 28 Nov 2010, 10:45 am »
Don't get too interested in views or responses - there are lots of ways of viewing statistics and what they mean.
Hi John.
I am not expecting too many answers, I only try to make people to comments and share with us their opinions, that all, nothing more.
You are not telling me something new here, because we are all humans, I know already that we all see things differently, in addition, I am not posting statistics, (Even if it's look like statistics) I am only posting my findings in a way that people can understand.
Guy 13